Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Kuno posted:

People who watched the streams: How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

One of my favourite things about Demon's Souls was that almost all the arms and armour were low key and realistic. With a few obvious exceptions like Bramd, that were actually wielded like they ought to weigh.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hope in an attempt to swell weapon variety they haven't added a load of stupid fantasy and anime style poo poo. I'll be pretty upset if there are any chainmail bikinis :(

Given that the overall tone seems to have that same gritty dark realism going on I'm pretty hopeful, just need someone to allay my fears. I heard something about whips earlier which I'm... a little ambivalent about. On the one hand thats pretty cool, and not completely stupid, on the other I hope thats as far as that sort of thing goes.

I don't mind the outright magical like being able to make your sword set people on fire, just lazy fantasy design.

The only lovely designs i've seen were the shields from the "Create a shield" costume. They are all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

It was much more extreme in Demon's Souls though, even with an early character the mace could one-shot skeletons but would do almost no damage to heavily armored living stuff.

Anyone not using their fists on skeletons was doing it wrong.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

EU release date today, that i'm pretty loving excited for. Me and my friend actually cancelled our online pre-orders in order to get up at 8 today and go into town to buy copies just in case we didn't get them.

I however worked last night until 4:30am and didn't sleep when I got back, so i'm fully intending to go into this game the way From Software intended - tired, cold, hungry and hallucinating. One thing I was wondering, if i'm using Dex as my main stat can I still get some decent swords or is it all spears? I don't really like them but I am all about cool swords.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Just got to the first "real" boss of the game and got my poo poo wrecked, mainly cause I didn't expect it. Can do the run to and from it with no issues but is there a nearer bonfire than the first one in Undead Burg? Also, is this the guy that people were saying you can run up a tower and drop on his head because if so there's no climbable towers.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Yes there is, it's the one literally behind you. To the left of the stairs (Right when you leave the fog, left when facing the stairs) there's a ladder.

Son of a bitch. I looked and didn't see it then got shot by an arrow. Thanks.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Uh, I summoned some guy who essentially killed everything from the room with the giant boar to the gargoyles. Everything here is dead but I haven't had a bonfire since the very first one in Undead Burg ages ago, have I missed one? He was going so quick it was hard to notice.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

On the Capra demon now, I get everyones complaints about it. First time I managed to kill both dogs and seemed to be doing okay but then he just backed me into a corner and flattened me. I'll get it.

As a dex based thief character, is there any really useful weapons I could get at this point to make the game a little easier on me? I'm still using my bandit knife, it's at +3 and is great for backstabs but for little else.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Found myself in Valley of Drakes by accident, slashing away at a dragon doing 10 damage with my lovely dagger. Then out of nowhere, 440 damage. This happened a couple of times, daggers are awesome.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Sorry that these sort of things keep getting asked, but i'm at a loss what to do here - I've cleared undead burg aside for the drake and also killed the Capra Demon, and cleared everything in the depths aside for Gaping Dragon. When I tried it I got my poo poo wrecked but that might have been as I was cursed. However, at the second I can go to that guy, the Moonlight Butterfly or Hydra, or just run through some other areas like Valley of Drakes etc. I can't find out how to get to Blighttown unless that's past the depths boss, or i've missed something huge. Could someone just point me in the right direction please? I feel a little overwhelmed at the second.

edit - I could also go through the graveyard at the start even though I barely hurt the skeletons and have no idea where that leads.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Cool thanks for the tips guys. I have got the Master key (thief) so i'll give that a shot and come back for the boss once i've got a weapon with reach. Literally still bandit dagger +5.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

_jink posted:

Follow the corridor with the red cape skeleton then hang a right (to your left will be the church) past 3 skeletons. In that building is a campfire and blacksmith on a lower floor

Can you get to the smith in New Londo Ruins first? I don't know if the elevator works from the start of the game but if it does then that's probably the easiest one to get to.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Uh, did I gently caress up massively? I summoned Knight Solaire and Knight Lautrec for the Gaping Dragon fight, they proceeded to do nothing and then got killed by him. I then fell off the waterfall to my death (hey I didn't realise there was a waterfall okay :( ) are those guys dead for good?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

evilalien posted:

No, they fight as phantoms when you summon them so they are still alive.

Is them not doing anything a bug or should I just try and find players? I can barely damage this boss (30 per hit) and he does about 2/3 of my lifebar at least on all his hits.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Can I get some bonfire help in Blighttown? I've got the one on the bridge, which is pretty far away from anything useful it seems. I can get through the town no problem and last time I went through I got all the way to the wheel/lift thing that takes you back up. The only problem is i've no idea where else i'm meant to go and the bonfire is pretty far away. Also what's with the octopus/tentacle things, can I kill them or if I get close will they gently caress me up? I have no ranged.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I stabbed Queelag in the rear end and got killed instantly. What.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Tgent posted:

That was probably her AOE attack. She stops for a moment before doing it and it can look like a good opportunity to get some hits in.

Yeah I just tried it again and saw it this time, but it still took me out. I felt terrible as i'd just summoned 2 dudes to help me, too, and it was right at the start of the fight. Any decent tactics or is it just a case of watching out for it and moving?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What's the Doll you get from the asylum for?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Killed Queelag after upgrading my Iaido to +8 and now I actually have a decent weapon, which is nice. Chatted to the egg guy through a secret door afterwards and said I wasn't a new servant and he wouldn't let me through so I just left. Did I miss anything special?

Also is there any vendor other than the first one in Undead Burg that sells arrows? I killed the poo poo out of him for a sword.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Thundercracker - Kill the guys firing blowpipes and they don't come back.

I was wondering what the point of the area after the 2nd bell is. There's just some lava and gently caress all there.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Boosh! posted:

I'm a Knight and got a pyromancy hand and bought some spells but cannot use. Says there is no prereq for either but I cannot cast anything. What gives?

Did you attune them?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

LoG posted:

I know this thread is moving fast but could anyone please answer this?

I've been playing one. Basically you will destroy all the normal enemies (your dagger stunlocks most and will 1-2 hit backstab kill, and every third hit makes them bleed for 1/3 their max HP I think). The only downside is enemies that are resistant to being hitstunned and enemies you can't backstab...and bosses. I used my dagger up until just before ringing the second bell then switched to a katana +7 which is ridiculous, so as long as you don't mind mixing it up a little you should be fine.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

So I joined the Forest Covenant. How do I now go and kill some ninja for a ring that makes you flip about? All I have heard about this was earlier in this thread so I have no idea what to do.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

So I joined the forest hunters, found the ninja guy in blighttown, started to fight him and promptly hosed up and died to poison and backstabs like a loving moron. Since I got kicked out the covenant right then I just went and sold the ring to Frampt. gently caress you Alvina.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Quick question about Sen's Fortress - First, is there a bonfire in there, and second, if I kill the boulder throwing giant or the firebombing one will either come back?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Can I just say, it's all about front/back/sideflipping. I wish it had been a dex bonus because i'd like to have a free ring slot, but hell, I love this poo poo. I currently run around topless with the thief mask, red robe kilt, leather gloves and a katana and it makes everything ridiculous when you do perfect handsprings everywhere you go.

Dark Souls <3

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Two questions - First, does Dex affect fall damage? I seem to be able to drop really far with 36 dex but no idea if it's the same for everyone. Second, what's the best way to beat Lautrec when you invade him as a phantom? Multi-enemy fights are the only ones that consistently gently caress me over on this game and not being able to heal is really hurting.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What the gently caress. I got to some new place in Anor Londo after putting the Lordvessel in place and can do practically no damage to the boars with my best weapon. Is there a reasonable order to where I should be going now i've placed the Lordvessel?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

evilalien posted:

Boars never take much damage head on. You should be stuffing your weapon up their assholes to kill them or be using magic of some kind. As for where you should try right now, I'd say New Londo is one of the easier places to finish. Just wear your Covetous Gold Serpent ring so you never run out of transient curses.

I couldn't seem to buttstab it, which was weird. I took out the first one back in the undead parish really easily but can't get the angle on these, even if i'm directly behind them, slightly left/right, whatever.

Also I never got that ring...it's from Sen's, right? I spent way too long there to miss it but I managed to anyway.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Unknown_PC posted:

Yeah, you need 15 INT as others have stated. You can also negate this requirement after rescuing Logan for the 2nd time in Duke's Archive.

This is wrong because my thief has starting int (12 I think, maybe 13) and I could learn spells off him as soon as I met him.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I started a new dude to gently caress around on and took out Queelag > Gargoyles > Sen's Fortress, but i'm trying to go back and do Capra Demon/Gaping Dragon. I can't however find the key to open the door down to Capra Demon...where is it? I thought you just got it after the Gargoyles but no dice.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Where exactly is Dark Sun Gwyndolin? I killed Gwynevere mainly just to see what happened and he challenged me but I can't find any way into his room.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Just to give some love to something that's not massively mentioned in this thread (from what i've seen) but like in Demon's Souls, the voice acting is amazing. I love Laurentius' dialog and the way it's delivered, especially the "Well, I have my, y'know, pyromancy of the great swamp, so i'm usually fine". Also the fact there's a welsh character of all things (Domnhall of Zena), even down to using Simwae as a greeting.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Just picked up this game and 1600 pages is pretty daunting.

My intention is to platinum the game, is there one class that does this more efficiently than the others? There are a lot of classes to pick from and I'm having trouble choosing. I am leaning towards either a master key dude since that sounds like it unlocks cool poo poo or the naked dude because he looks funny. Help?

This is a really quick video I made to show you the best way to deal with most threats in this game. Don't listen to these guys above me, they're trying to mislead you but Dark Souls is a punishing game and will destroy you if you're not playing like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661ppXIyKUI

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Grappling hook!

Like Taurus said i'd like to see unarmed or fist melee become more useful, even if it's just made faster. Maybe also make some armour that has effects, so rather than it only being helmets that effect things (such as increased spell damage, stamina regen etc) you've also got boots that maybe make you slightly faster or able to run normally on bad terrain, saving you a ring slot at the cost of less armour.

Also make dual wield actually viable.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

HnK416 posted:

Yea I believe EpicNameBro mentioned armor with special effects.
On the whip, I'm there with you Tarus. When I first picked it up I started freaking out because "Oh man there's so much physics in this game! The whip is going to rock!" And then...the whip. Would have been so much better if it was physics'd and you could fling it around like crazy.

Hold down the button and flail the right stick around to just waft it all over.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

davidHalestorm posted:

I just finished fighting the Four Kings in NG+. The thing is just as I about to deliver the final blow, I noticed that there are still two Kings left , which meant that this game spawned six Kings, :psyduck:. Is that a normal thing?

No, what the gently caress? You've found the secret Twin Brothers of New Londo, it's an event that only happens in one of every 10 thousand games...pretty loving cool. Did you kill them?

if you take too long to kill the kings, another will spawn, even if you've killed 3 :)

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

I set up a new character and decided to go a different route to the Taurus Demon, so I ended up going from Firelink > New Londo > Valley of Drakes > Darkwood Forest > Havel's Tower > Up!

It was pretty intense. But coming up behind the undead that kicks the flaming barrel at you was pretty great. I was debating skipping Taurus all together and just going for the Gargoyles but changed my mind once I realised I wanted Havel's ring.

Man mode activate.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

The guideline that's always worked best for me is, "if you can backstab it, you can riposte it."

I raise you an armoured boar.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

You can only go to 99!

Also yeah you don't need Vit at all. The only stats you "need" in this game are the ones to let you use the gear you want, after that it's not worth it. Apart for maybe endurance but stamina caps out at 130 anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

verybad posted:

Rapier, why are you so bad? I want to use you, but it's not possible. You're terrible!

I got the estoc from New Londo (it's not even really in New Londo) and it's great, for when you can get it. Super long range, and you can use it behind a shield, go get one!

• Locked thread