Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

GhostDog posted:

Awesome.

I did have to look that up now, and it seems I am indeed hosed and have to start over, because the healer is in an area I can't survive in that state and the only vendor who sells an item that can heal it is behind a boss I haven't beaten yet.

I knew I was getting a difficult game, but this is pretty much permadeath.

That is pretty hosed up, I know it's supposed to be difficult but that's just too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I have no idea if this is helpful or not as I haven't played the game but here's a guide to removing curse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJq3Dz46Tso

Apologies if it's of no help

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Is there any way to de-aggro NPCs? I accidentally threw a firebomb at the blacksmith by the big gate whilst trying to use all my soul items and even after he killed me he's still chasing me down. I just wanna buy some stuff :smith:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Yeah but it will cost you a shitload of souls. If you've beaten the gargoyle bosses then the NPC that shows up right after them will absolve your sins and that will placate all NPCs you've pissed off.

It costs (2000*your soul level) souls

Oh drat. How far away is that from the blacksmith?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Man this game is harsh as hell. I just got killed by the boss in Undead Parish and I was raring to give it another go so I was killing the skeletons in my way as quick as possible. The rapier skeleton on the stairs was walking around for like 10 seconds with his sword pointed at me so I tried to hurry it up by attacking first and he riposted me for my entire life bar. 3000 souls gone :negative:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Rothgil posted:

I found out that enemies could riposte the hard way. Made for a great stopping point for that session.

Yeah I had to give up for now after it happened to me. Between that and accidentally aggroing the only guy who can upgrade my equipment it knocked the fight right out of me

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Welp just lost 25k souls and 6 humanity because I blocked an attack that knocked me off a cliff. And if I rolled to avoid it I would have also been knocked off a cliff. This loving game

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Man the majority of people that play this game seem really bad. I'm hanging around Queelags lair with my soul mark down to help people out so I can join the Sunlight Knights and after 4 attempts not one guy has managed to beat the boss, and two of those times they died within about 10 seconds. I can't help you if you keep running head first into death fellas

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Satanos posted:

The Residence Key that the Undead Burg Merchant sells, is that made redundant by the Master Key?

No

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

So what's the most souls you guys have lost in one go? I just lost 60k whilst dicking around in blight town waiting for someone to summon me. I was refusing to level up so I could stay within the level range of people that would be in the area. Looking back maybe that was a mistake

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

(Sen's Fortress Spoiler)Oh boy there's mimics in this game. There's death number 7 in in this rotten place

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Revitalized posted:

Oh boy. Is there a way to tell?

No. Stab every chest you meet

edit: god drat that loving lift theres death number 8. This place is dick move after dick move

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Professor Latency posted:

Yep this was great the first time I went through there. Lost about 30k souls NO BIG. WHATEVER.

I think Sen's Fortress is the only place that I've encountered so far that I'm actually extremely paranoid running through. With all the traps and trickery, plus those hard enemies it's just...terrifying.

Anyway, I haven't gone and done New Londo Ruins or the Valley of the Drakes, should I do those before doing Sen's Fortress? It's pretty brutal, but on the other hand those ghosts suck.

I wouldn't reccommend Valley of the Drakes. There's an incredibly brutal battle at the entrance that scared me off and made me go to the Fortress instead.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Demitri Omni posted:

How far into the game do you get whatever it is that lets you teleport/travel between bonfires quickly?

After you ring the two bells an area will open up, go through that area and after two bosses you'll unlock it

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

What?

R1 + flick the control stick. There are no unique kick animations except for one special circumstance that doesn't happen until way late in the game.

The scimitar does have a unique kick animation

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

So here's something I've been wondering... Demon's Souls had a lot of variety as far as the settings were concerned. Castles, swamp-side spires at nightfall, diseased poo poo-filled caves where all the earth's filth flows, windy rock crags, caves far beneath the earth, etc.

Does Dark Souls ever depart from its initial "Castle Boletaria 2" look? Is it as visually diverse as Demon's Souls?

There's way more variety than in Demon's Souls

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Alright, so when you stop playing the game for the night, absolutely DO NOT quit your game. Go sit down at a bonfire people commonly use (Undead Burg seems to be good for this, as is the Parish) and turn your TV off.

The bonus you get every time somebody kindles the fire means you get an extra use of your Estus Flask every time somebody does it, until it maxes out. With a +1 Estus flask, and kindling the bonfire in the area between the Parish and the Forest, I started up my game today and had 20 uses in my flask.

Alternatively, make do with what you've got and don't waste money on your electricity bill

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Well, I got to the parish, but I went back to the Burg to see if I missed anything. I came across a nice locked door, and behind it was a dude with a gigantic metal dildo and armor that I want so badly.

Ten backstabs later, and the fucker gets a lucky shot in. Dammit. I must keep trying, though. There has to be something good to come out of this.

I'll let you know right now he doesn't drop his armour. He drops something better

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Man the demon ruins are absolutely barren in terms of online presence. Not a single message or soul mark for miles. But then again the only reason I'm looking for them in the first place is because this place terrifies me

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Stele007 posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress Tomb of Giants and From Software for making it. I am about to ragequit because it's so loving lovely.

...and I had thought the Catacombs were bad. At least that gets easy after killing the loving necromancers.

I don't know why they thought A completely pitch black area suspended over a deadly fall with huge loving enemies attacking you was a perfectly fair situation to overcome I'm at a complete loss as to how I could get past that section

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

From Blighttown am I supposed to go the Demon Ruins or backtrack to the gate that opened when I Rang the second bell?

Go to the Demon Ruins and kill the boss, he's very easy but don't go into the area that's unlocked once you beat him. After that go to the gate you saw

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Elysiume posted:

What objects can drop things? I'm talking about pots, barrels, bookshelves, etc. What should I be hitting with my sword other than enemies?

Pots with bodies in them will drop an item every time. Nothing else apart from treasure chests will drop items

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

I can't wait til the people that were pissed off with Blight Town get to Lost Izalith. That place is so poorly designed it's annoying as hell

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Since nobody answered me last time I asked this: what is the penalty for dying as an invader? Do you lose your souls and humanity like a normal death, or do you just get booted out of the other player's world?

I think if you're a black phantom you lose all your souls and if youre a blue phantom all you lose is your precious time

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's all it's useful for. It increases your item find but that's crap compared to the consequences.

They should just give you a 25% health penalty for being undead like in DS, then people would actually bother to be human and online play wouldn't be impossible. Or maybe give flasks a penalty if you're undead.

That would work so much better. They'd have to increase the amount of humanity you get but the online would actually work

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you healing with miracles instead of using the flask? In fact I don't understand what the point of healing miracles are in this game.

To save flasks. I like to have 10 heal miracles on me and only use flasks in emergencies and it serves me well, especially as it means I never really have to kindle.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Has anyone had any consistent success with multiplayer past level 50? I haven't seen a single summon sign or had any success with my own sign since Anor Londo and I've been through 7 or 8 areas since then. I also tried joining the Dragon Covenant, the Darkmoon Covenant and the Gravelord Covenant and didn't have any luck getting into games with their unique PvP stuff either. The only time I ever get to play online is the occasional forest summon every few hours now that I've rejoined the forest covenant. I almost get the feeling that there's nobody still playing on the 360 version in my P2P area.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

So I've been looking through the art book I got with the Limited Edition copy and I've noticed there are a few enemies I didn't see on my first time through the game. A Chimera, a fat guy riding a boar, what looks like an armoured version of the bugs in demon ruins, a rather dapper man with a trenchcoat with a rose on it and what I can only describe as a naked, faceless lady with wing, horns and stone skin. Did I miss these guys somehwere or were they cut?

e; And while we're on the topic of broken online mode I wasn't invaded once in my entire run through the game, not counting NPC invasions. I spent a lot of time as a human too

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Hell Diver posted:

I spend the vast majority of my time Hollowed because I like dropping soapstone symbols to help other players, but I played Blightown entirely human and had two phantoms with me from the first bonfire. I got invaded twice and both ended about as poorly for the invader as you'd expect for 3 against 1.

You don't need to be hollowed to drop a sign and be summoned

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Sankis posted:

They're not the same universe.

What about Patches?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

And there is a point where you find a demon's robes, they belonged to a certain blind character in the last game.

What's that set called? I might have picked it up and not even bothered looking at it

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Uhh I just got summoned into a game at the Undead Parish on my new character at level 10 and as I entered my summoner was fighting a red phantom with the dragon head (Which he could seemingly use the breath attack indefinately with), an absurdly powerful AoE fire spell, and a weapon that could drain all my stamina in one go. He could also repeatedly spam a sort of shockwave move that knocked us back and drained our stamina. And by spam I mean literally every second. And on top of that he was taking absolutely no damage even though we backstabbed him 5 times. My question is what the gently caress just happened and is it likely that he was hacking?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

Sprint up the buttress, once you reach the ledge the knights are on run towards the right one, just start rolling, if you get up in his face quick enough he will try to attack you and fall off. You'll probably get whacked by a lance arrow or two on the way but there's a bonfire right after you get inside. The item the other knight is guarding is just a soul item so don't bother imo.

The dragon guy is a member of the dragon covenant and was probably way higher level than you. Your summoner was dumb and let dragon man invade him.

I know about the dragon covenant but when I tried it out I could only breathe fire for about 2-3 seconds and this guy was charging at us for like 10 seconds just spewing out the fire. And I can't think of any reason why he would be able to invade. The guy who summoned me was obviously only up to the undead parish and AFAIK there's no dragon scales before that point he could have picked up that would have made him a target

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

traveling midget posted:

On the bridge you walk up to, on your way from Firelink to the beginning of Undead Burg, theres an item in a corpse visible on the bottom tier or the bridge, on the far side. If you can land the drop, then squeeze around the pillars, and reach it without falling off, you get rewarded with... a ring of sacrifice. Which you need to use to get off the bridge by suicide, the only way off. I love you, Dark Souls.

You can jump off and back onto land. Way to waste a perfectly good ring of sacrifice

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

feraltennisprodigy posted:

So I just rang the second bell and opened the huge gate near the Undead Parish blacksmith, should I finish up all the other areas (New Londo Ruins, Valley of the Drakes, Darkroot Garden & Basin, skeleton graveyard (catacombs???), Demon Ruins) before heading there or can I just come back to them later? I think that I'm soul level 50 or so.

Darkroot Garden is the only one you should worry about there. Finish that off then head through the gate

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Here's a question - where's the invisibiity ring and does it make you invisible to enemies and NPCs, or just other human players?

If it does make you invisible to enemies and NPCs, does that mean that if I combine it with the silent movement ring I have, am I totally undetectable to enemies and can scoot through areas untroubled, backstabbing as I go like a stealth monster?

Surely this won't work.

It doesn't make you invisible to enemies and NPCs. It just makes it so players can't lock on to you.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

smuh posted:

Uhh, does the merchant from the Depths move away from there at some point? Or has he gotten himself killed while I was adventuring?

He moves to the area under the entrance to undead burg from firelink

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Valkrye posted:

So anyone else (ending spoilers)finish the game after siding with the giant head in the abyss? The ending for the game was just me lighting a fire, that's it. Please say it changes if you don't side with the abyss head and do stuff for the one in firelink instead.

Literally the only thing that changes the ending is what you do after beating Gwyn. You can either light the fire or walk away. I didn't even notice the fire and I just walked out the door and was proclaimed the "Dark Lord" by an army of whatever Frampt is.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Can you not see other peoples summon signs if you have yours down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

There was a message in front of him saying "beware sneak attacks". :(

I thought he was a statue that was going to come to life so I was all "I'll kill him before he comes to life."

Here's a helpful hint that should be common sense yet a lot of people don't seem to 'get': If they look human and aren't actively trying to attack you then they're a friendly NPC. I'm honestly suprised how many people attack NPCs.

• Locked thread