Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Save Russian Jews posted:

Should I not be in Undead Burg immediately after the tutorial?

Smiled ear to ear reading this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

where's the spot you can supposedly one-shot the red dragon from? I'm on top of the tower, looking all around, but I can't see the dragon anywhere.

You're in the right spot but no one has figured out what makes the dragon stay there or decide to fly off or if it's a bug of some kind.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

bluegoon posted:

Holy poo poo, they weren't loving around when they said this game was... hard.

I really hope this game does well sales wise, its a fantastic experience.

Demons Souls greatly surpassed From Softwares sales estimates, Dark Souls is currently the #1 chart game in Japan, and judging from how Amazon US/EU have struggled to meet sales demands I would say it's done pretty drat well outside of Japan too.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Bastard Priest posted:

Where the gently caress did my dragon scales go? I didnt use them..

Have you been invaded and killed at all recently? One Covents allows you to invade and steal peoples Dragon Scales. However I'm not entirely sure if they just get a scale and you still keep yours, or if you lose it forever.

Gyoru posted:

The Chaos Servant covenant is very useful to rank up. It allows access to Chaos pyromancy spells. Pyromancy is dependent on the upgrade level of your Flame Glove instead of stats so even melee characters benefit from learning a few spells. Once your rank is high enough, a permanent shortcut to Lost Izalith is unlocked. This shortcut saves a massive amount of time. You can even skip the boss of that area with it.

You can use any learned Chaos spells and access the shortcut even if you leave the abandon covenant via the NPC on the 1st belltower.

Since joining the Chaos Servants is also the only way to open that shortcut, it's also the only way to save Solaire and have him join you in the final battle.

I loving knew it! That stone sealed doorat the end of the bonfire hallway is the shortcut I take it? I messed around at first trying to cast Chaos Fire on the door but it didn't work, I raise my humanity/pyromancy based on the spell description to no avail. But I take it I just need a certain level of pyromancy to break through it?

Smelly posted:

By the way, anyone going into the Ruins The blade that the ghosts drop can hurt them without having to use a Transient Curse

Remember to two-hand it because blocking won't work against ghosts without the Transient Curse, even with the blade equiped.

Rascyc posted:

How exactly do you spare the wolf?

No one has been able to demonstrate that this is even in the game, it might just be a rumour along with the Dex Flipping. I can only assume that if it is, you absolutely have to get your rank with the Forest Hunters up to the point where Alvina talks about Sif and then maybe that prompts something during the encounter. But if it was that easy we would have seen it by now.

Sankis posted:

Did you play Demon's Souls at any chance? Blight town is easily my least favorite area so far but it's so much better than the equivalent in DeS that it's not even funny.

God yes, the people complaining about Blight Town/Swamp obviously didn't experience the Valley of Defilement from Demons Souls. Poison killed you much much faster then.

Foxhound posted:

Are the statues of cursed people that appear in the sewers avatars of other players that have been cursed? Cause that's pretty cool.

Haha yes, I thought the same thing and I think they are, one appeared in front of me and most of them are situated in the area next to the Cursed Eye Ring. It's great to smash them to pieces.

keyframe posted:

What is the trick to that wolf boss? I die horribly in like 2 seconds as soon as the fight starts.

Be very patient and wait for him to jump on you, I stayed near the gate so he couldn't get large swings off.

I beat Sif at SL39 with an +0 Drake Sword, it was like a ballet.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Quick question Regarding chaos servants

I know to save solaire I need to get to +2 with them to open up a shortcut, where is it and can I then join another covenant and keep it open for later, or will I just have to do kill the chaos bugs then lose the shortcut

I haven't opened it, but I assume it's the wall at the end of the hallway where the Spider Witch is. Is ponying up 30 humanity the only way to open the shortcut with them, thats a lot of cheddar.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Xvimic posted:

I tend to agree, except for the fact that the swamp/blighted area in Demon souls was even more hellish both in difficulty and concept. But other than that, yeah I'm with you.

Not to mention that the boss for the swamp/blighted area in Demon Souls was both unexpected and epic with that music. I mean the Dark Souls boss was cool, but you obviously knew that was coming, in Demon Souls the Saint protected by a virtuous Knight surrounded by an army of undying mutant fetus babies was quite a site.

'Dearest Astraea...I have failed you..'

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Pierson posted:

Or those Solaire Medals, for that matter.

They are used to boost your ranking in the Warrior of Sunlight Covent, you need 50 Faith to join it. OR for each host you help successfully defeat a boss as a White Phantom, the Faith Requirement decreases by 5. For example, successfully helping five hosts will only require your character to have 25 Faith to join the covenant.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

KittenMittons!! posted:

If I accidentally hit the NPC that's sitting near the Firelink Shrine bonfire (He tells you about the two bells) while testing the special attack on the Drake Sword, and subsequently killed him, will I miss out on anything later on in the game? (I have rung one bell so far)

No, and actually His inactivity eventually makes him go hallow and joins the rest of the hallows at the steps of New Londo and will mindlessly attack you, so you kill him anyway

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is. You can access him right at the beginning. Go down the elevator near firelink. Don't go over the bridge on the right, which leads to ghosts. Hug the left side, until you come to a staircase down. He is behind some bars near where the staircase ends.

Are you loving kidding me!

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

I actually hosed up my directions there. Hug the right side. I meant right. Left has the ghost bridge.

It's more of a reaction to the news of finding out there is a blacksmith right goddamn there instead of having to jog all the way to the one by the forest.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Smelly posted:

I don't roll, ever. I'm wearing Havel's Armor and the Steel protection ring. I can tank hits from most attacks bosses throw at you like a pro.

Ditto, I play a tank and never roll, although sprinting into a bosses blind spot has been really essential. Obviously you take hits playing a heavy poise character, but it has the advantage of being able to chug a Eustus Flask with impunity. Good poise means you never stagger and can drink right in the middle of a boss swing a hammer into your face.

I stared wearing a combination of the Stone Armour, Eagle Shield, Wolf Ring, Havels Ring, and a Halberd in Blight Town and it has been my staple for ages.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Anyone disappointed this game doesn't expand on the last ones story? I was hoping to see the broken door in the Nexus expanded upon. Also no Nexus makes me sad.

Er, Demons Souls never explicitly tells you, but isn't Maiden in Black the Arch Demon from the broken Arch Stone?

I know it's bizzare, crypt and makes no sense in context to the plot, but it is a Souls game.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I have given a ton of Dragon Scales to the Path of Dragon Covent, like 7, and it still has not given me the Dragon Stone, is this normal? And will I have basically thrown these away for nothing if I join another covent?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

So this game was a lot of fun till I got to Anor Londo.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

What the gently caress where they thinking with the Silver Sniper Knights, I can see a ton of people quitting the game at that point.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I'm playing through a 2nd game for fun and I would just like to mention that the Wolf Ring and Elite Armor you find in the forest completely trivializes Capra Demon.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of second play, how are goons finding a low SL play through? At first I started a character as something that I could play alongside a friend but now im just pushing the character as far as it can go at low SL. I'm currently SL12 and heading into Blighttown.

It's pretty fun and you definitely notice new things about bosses as there is no room for error with such low SL, but you don't tend to mind as you blaze through every pre-boss section.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Sumixam posted:

Considering I just lost 5k souls when returning to fight him this intrigues me. What forest is this?

Yeah see that's the problem, Dark Root Forest is right next to the blacksmith, but they put it behind a Titanite Demon, that unless you cheese with arrows, the player really isn't ready for yet. But the Dark Root Forest is a perfect progression from Undead Parish because the boss is much more forgiving and you get a number of items that are extremely useful for the next few zones such as a set of Heavy Armour/Ring for Capra, and a collection of herbs that help with Poison/Toxin for Depths/BlightTown.

Again, what the gently caress were they thinking putting that Titanite Demon there. Going to add it to the list of poor design decisions.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Many people would just turn around and head in the other direction to inevitably smash their face against the Capra Demon 50 times as has been demonstrated throughout the thread though. And then get ultra pissed at Blighttown for having no Blossom's.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Since a lot of people seem to be having trouble with this game I'm going to share something I've discovered that I don't really see anyone else utilizing at all. The Giant club is the best PvE weapon in the game. It's Dark soul's version of Demon Soul's Meat Cleaver. It makes the game pretty drat easy. I've beaten almost every boss in the game so far in 1-2 tries including beating Ornstein and Smough on the first go without having seen the fight beforehand, and it's all because of this weapon.

The reason it's good is because it has great base damage, a B-scaling in strength, has a RIDICULOUS range, and most importantly it's forward-R2 jumping attack is broken good. What I mean by that is that the forward-R2 jumping attack comes out incredibly fast, covers a large distance, interrupts most enemy attack animations including bosses, and completely negates any disadvantage to using this "slow" weapon. The distance this attack covers is so large you can usually completely keep out of a bosses hitbox, use it as a counter-attack, land a hit and back away without taking any damage from the boss.

I picked up the item in Blight Town and upgraded it at a normal rate as I went throughout the game. Doing this as I was routinely one-shotting enemies with forward-R2 attack no matter what area I was in. Just using the regular forward attack put Ornstein into stun-lock and killed him in about 4 consecutive hits.

If you want to try this weapon you can grab it at the bottom of Blight Town. It's in the swamp area, all the way to the left. You need to fight two rock throwing trolls who are guarding it.

Haha yeah, I specifically upgraded it because it seemed like the only weapon that had any decent scaling with STR, but I didn't started using this until Anor Londo when I was getting annoyed with the Giant Guards, a +10 Giant Club killed them in two hits. I think I'll be using it more often.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

MadJackMcJack posted:

So a cool thing just happened. I was wearing my cat covenant ring and hoping for a summon while dicking about in Sen's Fortress. Lo and behold, I get summoned! Only it's as a white phantom next to Alvina, then I get a message saying that the boss is defeatable and Sif's life bar shows up. So I eventually find the fog gate (haven't attempted Sif yet) and yup, some dude's beating on him. I join in and victory is ours!

I then messaged the guy saying that it was odd that I was auto-summoned. Turned out that he saw my summon sign, a sign I never put down. Anyone else had this? Because it looks like Forest Hunter covenant members get a summon sign placed by Alvina automatically from what this guy is telling me. And that ROCKS! :rock:

This might only happen if someone gets enough Forest Defender reputation that Alvina specifically tells you go kill Sif, so instead of being summoned for pvp you get summoned to help someone in PvE, which is pretty neat.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Demitri Omni posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

You can slide down ladders?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, I just found out today. Gotta hit B once.

What the gently caress, I could have sworn I tried this the first time I was on a ladder since it made sense and it didn't work. Curse you Dark Souls.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Okay, I think I'm gonna roll up a new character, and now that I know what I'm doing, I'm gonna sequence break the gently caress out of this game.

-Some time later-

Okay, gently caress you tower black knight, now give me my swo-gently caress YOU DROP RATE. Time to roll another new character, I guess. Herp.

Didn't you do your entire first play through with a Black Knight Sword, why are you doing that again if you want a new character...?

Edit: ^Oh...

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Noxville posted:

I had my game invaded for the first time by a blue guy while I was in Darkroot Garden but found I wasn't able to click the right stick to target the invader - is this how it normally works or was it a glitch? Because drat that makes it hard.

He was wearing the Fog Ring, everyone wears it for pvp and now you know why.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Kild posted:

where do you get it

By pvping :v:

Join the Forest Defender Covent, once you get summoned to kill a few invaders and succeed Alvina will give you the ring as a reward.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

The guide came out today in the UK, I just walked into a Game and picked one up, so if anyone is having Amazon woes you could try stores, they are stocking it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Does anyone know if From Software released patches for Demon's Souls? I'm really hoping for a Dark Souls patch after experiencing a series of annoyances last night (light spoilers ahead):

First I slogged through Blighttown, where the framerate is consistently awful for a full hour of gameplay and every single drat sniper jumps off a cliff and suicides. Then I went to the valley of the drakes, and literally every drake I fought clipped through the ground and fell to his death. Then I fought the hydra in the darkroot basin and spent half an hour watching its final head clip through a stone wall, shoot at nothing, and then slam into the ground 300m to my left. Augh! I can't remember anything half this glitchy-feeling in Demon's Souls!

There is going to be a patch fixing a number of issues before the end of the month. No details on the specifics yet.

Also the Hydra is not glitchy, that is just how it acts, its really not a problem, it's not like it's head slamming into the water far away from you is a threat, you just wait until it slams its head into a different spot near you and hit it.

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 14, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Carl Seitan posted:

Also, I went around the back way up the ladders to get to Sif and the smith in the Undead Parish doesn't sell the item that unlocks the door anymore. Is that intentional?

Well you opened the sealed door from the inside so I imagine that crest to open it automatically disappears from his inventory.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Carl Seitan posted:

The door is still sealed. Can I open it from the back side? I just went straight for Sif instead of heading in the direction of the door.

Try it, post report.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

I am tired of being an endurance-focused medium-weight fighter wearing leathers (because that's the best armor I've found despite 0 poise). Can someone point me at a better set of armor I could get to, suicide run or no, as a SL20 rocking a drakesword and a +5 hollow shield/+5 spear?

The most recent boss I took down was Gaping Dragon, so I think I'm up to BlightTown, New Londo, or... *shudder*... the Catacombs place with the scary screaming skulls and reviving skeletons.

You will want to hit up Darkroot Forest next to the Blacksmith for two different sets the first being Elite Knight Armour, is found pretty easily, which is a really great all round set that can be upgraded.

Alternatively, if you have Havels Ring (Havel can also be found in Darkroot Forest in the lower part) and want to go full on tank mode, pony up the 20k souls to the blacksmith, open the sealed door, stick to the left and make a mad dash to the next ruin, hidden behind that is the Stone Armour which is loving boss in terms of stats and poise as long as you have enough END to wear it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Do the Ent tree things in the forest ever start taking actual weapon damage?

I'm a pyromancer, so not even the slightest poo poo is given - froom, POOF, screeeaaam, crumple - but when I'm in an area and the drakesword does no useful damage, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't be there yet.

The Ents after the sealed door are way way tougher then the others. I would run away from everything there as thats easy to do in the forest with all the open space.

The Drake Sword should easily be able to kill the pre sealed door Ents in like 3 hits, are you sure you are hitting them?

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 14, 2011

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Vatek posted:

Now that I'm doing a heavy armor playthrough I have all these weapons that I can potentially use and I'm kind of going into mental paralysis trying to figure out what I want to use. :(

The Halberd is a good heavy piercing weapon, or the Claymore as a slashing weapon, both of these can be found in the undeadberg/parish and only require a small investment in STR to wield 1 handed.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Systems_Id posted:

Well I'm pretty much done with this game. gently caress you, Capra Demon.

Just head into the Darkroot Forest next to blacksmith instead, the armor and rings you find in there are ideal for Capra Demon. You could also try a Hallow Soldiers Shield and cast Magic Shield from Sorcery.

The key to the fight is just staying on you feet long enough to kill the two dogs.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

gently caress Lost Izalith

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

tophet posted:

This game really confirms a suspicion I had about myself: I like easy games. I'm plugging away but I've played maybe six hours now and have just reached the boar boss, I'm terrible at this.

That playtime sounds about right.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I take it it's 1 slab per weapon type per game?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

smuh posted:

Ohhh poo poo I messed up the Siegmeyer questline :( In Lost Izalith, I jumped with him into the pit and killed the monsters after which he just says he failed me and dies :smith: Apparently I should have let him fight by himself a bit. This sucks, but at least I'll have something to look forward to on the next playthrough.

The Siegmeyer questline is bugged in NG+, he won't move locations no matter what you do. SO you have to start the game from scratch to do that. :(

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

What is the point in being able to warp to the Alter of the Gravelord? It's a big empty cave with no exit.

Mordiceius posted:

Can anyone answer this?

You can leave and enter as many different covents as you want without penalty. Leaving a covent is not committing a sin against them.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

evilalien posted:

No, that's Solaire. Siegmeyer is fine in NG+.

Oh....thats even worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

It took me a bit to get into this game, but holy poo poo I'm loving it. I wasn't a fan of the halbred in Demons Souls but am loving it here.

Yeah everyone in the thread rags on the Halberd because its thrust weapon that you can't use from behind your shield but it's range is possibly one of the best in the game, it's heavy enough to stagger foes, and the counter parry from a shield block is powerful with it. As long as you have some poise to make sure your hit always lands, its a great weapon.

There is more methodical block>parry combat with a halberd then say just stabbing wildly from behind your shield as if you miss with the halberd you're the one that staggers, but once you nail the timing, you are a machine. O&S went down easy peasy because they could not match up to the range of my fire halberd. Honestly I felt a little guilty how easy it was considering all the trouble they gave other players.

That and it has a wicked sick swing attack with R2. There is something immensely satisfying from swinging a fire halberd in a 360 arc while surround by a half a dozen mobs and watching them just all burst into flames.

• Locked thread