Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
My code: http://goo.gl/vk0hL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Basic question, I have 3-4 hours of gameplay at most.

I haven't leveled so far, yet I've made it all the way up to the Taurus Demon in Undead Burg. I collected a lot of souls that I haven't used yet. How do I know how many I need for next level? Is there a way to compute it? I don't want to just eat all of my souls right now and then discover I still don't have enough and eventually lose them all..

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Ok gentlemen, I'm hoping you can advise me on this one. Please beware the spoilers!

I've been running around completely naked with shield + winged spear all the way up to the bonfire next to the blacksmith and it's worked out fine for me. I keep my shield up, stuff attacks me, bounces off the shield and I poke them in the rear end (I'm really agile, since I'm loving naked). I upgraded the winged spear to +1. Should I grind it up a couple of extra levels or is there something better coming up?

Speaking of that same bonfire, there's some sort of a grey demon next to it, and then the gargoyle boss on top of the roof. Which one of those suckers should I be doing first?

Also, I have no idea what to put my points into as I simply have no clue what items will show up down the line. I like my spear + shield, can I continue that into the higher levels or does it not scale well?

Also, how the heck are you guys specializing in large two handed weapons from the start? How do you even fight in tight corridors with that weapon? I had to pull out an estoc to be able to fight there, even a long sword ends up hitting the walls more of the time.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is the huge rear end demon right by the blacksmith worth killing? Does it drop anything of worth?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Everybody keeps talking about the darned dragon sword and I have no idea what that is. Should I already have it by the time I'm at the blacksmith bonfire? Is it really so much better than anything else available at the time?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

1) Is there an easy shortcut from the blacksmith bonfire to the extensible ladder bonfire? Do I have to run through the boar section?

2) How many arrows for the dragon tail?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'm going to have to ask this again as I never got a response yesterday. How do you guys use the large and super large swords in this game? A huge chunk of the fights are in very narrow corridors, so I've only ever been able to use a spear / estoc effectively, everything else hits walls. I imagine that also reduces the damage you make.

On the same note, do you get any faster at wielding something like the zweihander as you get more str? Does it ever become as fast as swinging a long sword with two hands if I put enough str into it?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Any way of getting to Havel without having selected a master key when generating the character?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is there a significant difference between a quick roll and a medium roll? I'm referring to http://darksouls.wikidot.com/endurance . I feel like the character is super nimble under 25%, but I can't really tell how severe the impact of medium roll is.

Basically keeping burden under 25% even with Havel's ring is really hard unless you're ok with wearing rags.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Quick stats question. I've never boosted my vitality since early game, so it's at 11 right now, I have a super agile character with 25 endurance and a bit of str. Is the lack of vitality going to bite me in the rear end at any point soon?

I've generally been able to avoid getting damaged, but perhaps it's not always possible.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

How do I kill the poison dragon in drake valley as a melee character? The drat thing oneshots me if I get any close, and I can't get close enough because of the poison spit. I'm able to whack him maybe once if he spits on one side and I run to the opposing claw, but it's literally one whack and I'm really close to being oneshot each time.

Am I really going to have to take the rear end in a top hat down with a bow 10 damage at a time?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Ankle-biter posted:

There is a safe spot next to the wall in front of his face where the breath won't touch you. You just run smack him in the face and run back there. I saw a streamer do this. Really though, just buy a bow and a ton of arrows.

Like, 500 or more arrows?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Could someone kindly explain what I should be doing with my stats as far as weapon progression is concerned? I've been almost exclusively boosting vit and end and I'm in my 30s now, I haven't even bothered pushing by str and dex past 16/15...

As a melee character, when am I supposed to figure out that I want to boost one of those two stats? I've found tons of interesting weapons, but none of them have justified switching over from the Drake Sword so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I haven't had a chance to finish DS back when I still had a TV for my 360 and now I just don't have the time to die a thousand times to finish the game. I do really want to find out how it ends though. I've started watching the last 25% of Northernlion's youtube videos, but it looks like he tends to rush through a lot of the interesting areas and isn't quite as familiar with the game as someone writing a walkthrough might be expected to be.

Is there perhaps a let's play out there where the caster knows the game inside out and shows all of the secrets as he's moving along? I don't want to miss anything cool, if at all possible.

• Locked thread