Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Think I might ask for this for my birthday, that way it'll be a couple of weeks in and there will be a suitable amount of messages about the place to warn of incoming dangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

As someone who is entirely new to the experience (I only played Demon Souls a little), would Pyromancer be a good start? :smith:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

It honestly, one hundred percent depends on what you want to play.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, Pyromancer's start at soul level one, giving you more soul points to spend on your character, but that's about as far as mechanical benefits go.

Fire spells will give you a nice source of damage at the off-set of the game, I suppose.

But really, it all comes down to what you want to start out playing as.

A two handed sword welding knight of death, but I suspect doing so would be suicide!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Not necessarily, in Dark Souls they've given heavily armoured, two-handed playstyles significant boosts and buffs so that they're not as, well, insignificant as they were in Demons' Souls. I think if that's what you'd prefer to play you should probably start out as that.

You can always branch out as you develop your character. It's really, really easy to switch out what you're doing for other playstyles if you want to.

I can guarantee you'll die more as a result of playing a playstyle you don't feel comfortable with initially than from choosing one that's 'mechanically inferior' in these games. The trick to surviving isn't in choosing the best class off the bat, it's in choosing the best class for you.

Well, when i'm playing RPGs I either like to roll a 2-handed tank or a high dexterity duel-weilder. Not sure if Dark Souls has dual-weild. Basically I like to get in as much damage as possible before the enemy can respond. My primary choice would be dual, with secondary a 2-hand.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This might be an odd question but, how many NPC vendors are there for trading in souls for equipment etc? It's always seemed to me - watching the videos - that Dark Souls is rather devoid of just normal NPC guys willing to talk and trade. Everyone wants you dead.

• Locked thread