Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
I am so psyched for this game, but also a bit worried. You see, I played a Royal in Demon's Souls (in other words, I played it on easy), which meant I spent a lot of time (especially early game) taking out enemies from a safe distance, making myself a snack while my mana recharged, then progressing ever so slightly and doing it all over again. Pretty much the only weapon I ever used was a spear, because its the only weapon that:

1.) You can attack while blocking, so block timing becomes much, much less important
2.) Doesn't make you move when you attack, so you can safely use it on ledges without fear of falling.

For the hard bosses (which for me were Maneater, Flameluker, the Old King) I either just took them out with arrows from the other side of the fogged door, or I ran around like a maniac until I came to a spot where they were nearby but didn't seem to realize where I was or couldn't hit me for some reason, then I spammed poison cloud and eroded them to death.

Basically, I managed to beat Demon's Souls without ever really getting any good at block or parry timing.

From what I understand, this is more or less the exact playstyle the Devs tried to nerf for Dark Souls. That is, magic is still there, but every character is now much more required to mix it up close. Is this accurate? I mean, I'm getting it regardless, but I'd like to have some sense of how viable a pure Mage-type character is.

Also, I'm still really unclear on the difference between sorcery and pyromancy, can anyone who has the game explicate on that a bit? Do they use different catalysts? Are their spells different "types" (that is, in Demon's Souls miracles were nearly all healing or defensive in nature apart from that one wrath one, whereas Magic had like 2 defensive spells and everything else was killing poo poo. But miracles still exist in Dark Souls from what I can tell, so whats the distinction between sorcery and pyromancy?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008
The camera was definitely hosed a bunch of the time during Demon's Souls boss fights too. At least for me it was--during that fight with the fat dude with the cleaver, I was basically locked onto the floor until I could get down to the bottom level where the boss was standing.

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

Also: If Dark souls is anything like demons souls, the most you want in a stat on a general playthough is like 50 because after that diminishing returns on the stats start kicking in really hard.

Huh, I never knew this. I maxed out Magic, carried around an insanity catalyst, a ring of magical sharpness and that idiotic looking monk's headgear, and one-shotted everything with Firestorm. I just assumed that my high Magic score was behind that, but maybe in retrospect the gear was doing most of the work and I'd have been better off not specializing. Ah well, c'est la vie (or la mort, I suppose, given the way things tended to go for me in my playthrough).

literallyincredible fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 2, 2011

literallyincredible
Oct 23, 2008

quote:

The most important things about invasion are not actually class, but having either:
1) A whole lot of frontloaded weapon damage, to where you can burst through your opponent's HP very quickly,
or
2) A way to reliably mitigate your opponent's ability to flee or heal.

You'll want good reflexes to put shame to their counter-offense, naturally, but class is basically irrelevant.

Demon's Souls had a bunch of gear (and a few spells) that were either *only* for PvP, or primarily for PvP. The Scraping Spear and Acid Cloud are one obvious, super-irritating example, but there was also stuff like the Sword of Moonlight which outside of the occasional knight (like the Valley of Defilement boss), was primarily just used for one-shotting other players when they tried to block, Firestorm was better than Fireball for PvE but impossible to get off in PvP if your opponent was any good, etc. etc.

Does Dark Souls have much stuff like that? I know there's that camo-in-the-forest ring which seems tailored for PvP, but is there anything else? I ask because I'm not a huge fan of PvP and PvE builds diverging sharply in the late game--I mean, I loved Demon's Souls so its by no means a dealbreaker or anything, but it would be cool if most of the stuff in the game had utility for both PvE and PvP.

• Locked thread