Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I AM BRAWW posted:

Heh, found it pretty funny that someone last page was raging about the Gargoyles, as I was too (but didn't post in the thread). First time I got to him(them), I kind of went "Oh this is easy.." and would hit him a few times, go in that small corner beside the bell-tower to heal if needed...

But then the second one came. Going into the small corner beside the bell-tower was a horrible idea. They locked me in, and the second Gargoyle would just breathe fire while the first one probably laughed and called me an idiot for going there. Second time I rolled off the church, third time I was incinerated again, and so on..

Eventually I just used my Humanity, summoned Solitaire(sp?) and man do I regret not doing so earlier and dieing that much. I cannot tell you guys how easy that fight became. If you're having trouble, SUMMON SOLITAIRE. If you have no humanity, I've found 4-5 through my runs on the giant Rats below the bridge where the big red dragon is.

Now, I'm kind of lost to be honest. I've opened the Depths, killed the ...Capra Demon as well as the Giant Butterfly, that retarded one-legged thing outside of the blacksmith's and cleared the Gardens, except for the Hydra. It kind of scares me. Oh, and I got raped by the Gaping Dragon by accidentaly stumbling upon him. gently caress those sewers, gently caress them! I was completely lost in them.

(Also what should I be upgrading now.. My armor? My weapon/shield?)

I'm in exactly the same place as you. Can't beat the hydra, havel, or gaping dragon. I'm putzing around in the catacombs for now, but might get flattened by a boss there, who knows. Getting the evil eye ring in the depths was huge for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just fought him straight up after using all my firebombs and throwing knives on him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brace posted:

Is there a shortcut or a ladder I'm missing at the bonfire in the Upper Undead Burg? It seems like walking all the way back up through the way you killed the Taurus Demon and down to the bridge is an inefficient method of getting back to where you were.

Yep, the room under the bridge with the dragon has a stair that connects to the ladder above the bonfire, which you lower to make a shortcut.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a bonfire in the depths? I thought I'd explored it well before facing the gaping dragon, but if there is one I can focus on that after the catacombs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Found the door, saw it was locked. In terms of my progression, I'm hoping to do catacombs to increase flasks, then fight havel and the bridge dragon, then go after the wolf in the garden near the mushrooms and then the hydra, before doing gaping dragon since he's hard to retreat from. Is that a good plan?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brace posted:

I managed to take them out with no summons, and no pine resin. I rung the bell, but now where should I go?

I have no idea if this is the right way, but I went into the garden, farmed the big guys worth 600 souls for the 20k door key, then kicked people off ledges for a while. I'm probably overleveled now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brace posted:

Is the Hollow Soldier Shield worth upgrading? I have some titanite, and I'm going to farm for a while in that garden that mastershakeman just mentioned, so I'd be able to get it up to a nice little + if it's worth it?

Which garden did you mean? There's this big fat guy infront of locked gates, and there's the demon down the stairs.

Not the fat guy. Either kill the demon or just run past him, that's the garden, but you can go other ways too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lork posted:

I'm probably too late with this, but don't torture yourself by doing the catacombs before you're supposed to. Anything more than 10 estus flask is an extravagant luxury. Once you have at least 10, the problem isn't running out of them, it's finding time to use them. In fact, don't do any of those before gaping dragon, because it's by far the easiest fight out of the ones you mentioned.

Don't bother trying to kill the bridge dragon either. If you want to join the sunbros, just bait it into landing on the bridge and then run past it and immediately go for the lever, then sit at the bonfire to make it fly off.

I just spent 2 hours in the catacombs with no loving point (beyond suiciding into every necromancer, they're all dead now). Eventually I made it to the pinwheel boss, but had 2 estus flasks for him and no spells, and died with him at about 10% health. How the hell do I drop down to the room with the wheel skeletons? There's a glowing item on a ledge there that I couldn't reach, so I figure I should be dropping down. I'm pissed enough about how long it takes to get there that I might just go buy the fall spell to make it much faster.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lork posted:

Since you got all the way to Pinwheel, you might as well finish the job now. From the bonfire next to Patches (it's behind a fake wall if you haven't found it yet), run out halfway across the bridge he tried to kill you with and look down. You should be able to roll off onto the ledge below and cut out most of the walk to Pinwheel. There is another shortcut, which you should use eventually because it leads to a blacksmith, but you shouldn't try to use it to get to Pinwheel because it's even more infuriating than trying to go the long way.

Patches is the guy next to the switch? If there's a bonfire here, that's a huge help. I just went and murdered some dark knights now that I realize I can fight them, but then died against a giant wolf named Sif (i've seen him referenced a lot) & then a trio of giant cats near the mushrooms. Havel & the hydra are still waiting on me though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Oxxidation posted:

Sif rips people apart at mid-to-long range, but there's very little he can do to you up close. The cats are probably worse, on the whole.

Yep, I figured that out too late. I think I'll try the cats/sif a few more times then move back to havel/hydra (i suck at fighting havel) and finally the catacombs, simply because I don't want to have to run all the way back there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I had a fantastic two hours of destroying everything in my path, then managed to hit the pyromancer with a fireball intended for a skeleton. He aggroed so i let him kill me, but did i just gently caress my pyro over?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ivantod posted:

You should really try to get the Ninja ring at some point (Darkwood grain ring I think it's called?). This gives you a faster roll (backflip) and gives you the fastest movement as long as you are under 50% instead of 25% like it is without it.

I made a ton of progress the last days, and got both this ring and the Havel ring. Why would I even want the Havel ring over the Ninja one, is it something about setting up weight to being just exactly the right amount with the Havel ring?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

This is how you should play Dark Souls.
It's nice to have all this information explained to you or to have hot tips for bosses (I'm more than glad to help people when they ask) but honestly, you're going to get the maximum amount of enjoyment out of this game by simply having no idea what's around the next corner.

I feel that Dark Souls is at it's best when you're actually concerned or afraid at what may come next. The whole atmosphere is that anything could happen at any time and being tipped off to some of those things really steals some of the magic.

Anyone coming into this absolutely fresh, it's understandable to look up gameplay mechanics and how systems in the game actually work, but you'll gain the maximum enjoyment by being completely clueless as to the actual events and places in the game.
I personally feel that's the beauty of the game, exploring the content, being beaten by it, then conquering it.

I'm totally in agreement on first runthrough. The only stuff I really like asking about is where to head next or if the thing I'm fighting is unkillable for a new player (aka me dying 50 times to the first black knight before moving on).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zizzyx posted:

With Havel's ring, you can wear heavier armor without breaking the 50% barrier. With Flip ring, you can do light roll and fast run as long as you stay under your natural 50% barrier. So, if you try to wear, for example, full Havel's gear with Flip ring, it will actually do nothing at all.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring, I just didn't ask it correctly. I didn't even realize this ring was the Flip ring I'd seen mentioned so many times, and was trying to figure out why no one talked about it since I liked it so much :downs:

edit-Right now I'm just annoyed that in my path of destruction (forest cats, havel, hydra, gaping dragon, pinwheel), I forgot to go after the giant wolf, and now I'm down in blighttown and want to keep moving forward.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 31, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I randomly got the Drake Sword after getting stuck fighting Drakes in their valley, and found it does better damage than my +6 hand axe. That's kind of a bummer, as I'm level 50 or so and this weapon everyone gets immediately was one I ignored. I'm sticking with the axe though because it isn't much worse in damage, and is way faster which I like.

I felt really bad after getting Sif down to 10% health and watching him limp around with his injured paw :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
After getting stuck on the drakes in the valley, I returned with a few hundred arrows and pelted them to death, only to find the giant door wouldn't open. I then found the passage back to darkroot basin which I hadn't seen, and found the ladder behind where the hydra was. I've now explored everything I can think of and killed every boss. What zone should I be heading to? I dont need specifics on where to go, just a hint.

Edit: nevermind, found and died to queelag!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 31, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brace posted:

I'm saying hypothetically, if you were to do it, what SL would you be around to try it?

I just did it with my terrible level 50 guy who wields a divine +4 handaxe with only 8 in faith. It was horrible and pointless, I ended up shooting the drakes with arrows instead of fighting them, then found out I didn't accomplish anything anyways.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah, that bonfire loving blows. I totally missed it, died on the boss the first time because I missed the dude who hurls flaming boulders at you and had to go all the way through Sen's again.

Dark Souls.

This just happened to me, I wish I'd read the thread prior to fighting the golem. Glad to know I should at least search for the bonfire.

I killed half the titanite demons at the bottom but fighting the 3rd always attracts the 4th and I get walloped. I'll probably just come back later.

Also, the lightning spear is hilariously good! The mimic ate me twice before I figured out how to not be retarded (i entered the room from two different ways and didn't realize it was the same chest).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SamBishop posted:

The worst part of wikiing everything is discovering just how much poo poo there is to miss. The game is clearly meant to be played twice, with the second time being saved for exploring all those little dark recesses you didn't dare explore the first time around.

Yea that's why I ask questions instead of reading wikis. I need help sometime when frustrated but am trying to minimize spoilers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha I just ran into the archers people were posting about. Those guys are hilarious dicks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Playing again for the first time after a few week break, and got invaded on my 360. I don't have Xbox live gold, is this a new feature of a patch? I've also noticed that there are signs all over the freaking place which I'd never seen before.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SixtySix posted:

It was an NPC

I don't think so - the name showed up much differently than NPC invaders have, and the name was also not in the list of NPC invaders on the wiki (and it was something like pigdog which seemed like a xbox name).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just got to Gwyn. Holy poo poo this guy

I just got to him too and cannot parry him for the life of me. I think I'll try the slow grindy method instead :I

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Barudak posted:

Block the first swing, slam the parry button as he goes for the second. Its that easy.

I'd tried this but apparently am retarded. I was using the black knight shield, I can't parry with the eagle shield, right?

I'm not all that worried about beating Gwyn-my character is horribly built and I missed tons of items. I'm going to do a brand new character using walkthroughs the whole way, but haven't decided on what would be the 'most fun.' This character was a pyromancer using nothing but a lightning spear the entire time, so I haven't decided if I want to try out all the other spells on a caster, or go with a dex parry build, or what.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2012

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
After trying to fight the final boss about 30-40 times using parrying or an unupgraded black knight shield, I turned the game back on for the first time in a week tonight and decided to use my normal +10 eagle shield. Beat him first try by grinding it out. Stability is all important!

I don't really have much interest in NG+, time to try out a new character :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So my first character was a standard pyro and lightning spear user wearing the heaviest armor possible. For my new guy I want to learn about parrying with some miracles or sorceries on the side, what's a good way to get started on this?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Making a new character is hilariously easy. I'm mowing through poo poo without an effort, because I'm so used to backstabbing everything in sight at this point. Time to learn how to parry/riposte better, so I'm rolling with a thief for now. My plan is to make a beeline for the drake sword and then the flip ring, any reason not to do this? I'll eventually go with a dex build I believe, using the iato or uchigana, and then throw in some miracles on the side (maybe)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EC posted:

The slab that drops from the Asylum Demon is an exception to this.

Will it be there if i go back? I killed him on my new char that just got to firelink. It may be easier to just recreate since in only ten minutes in.

Also how feasible is it to make a run at the great scythe with a brand new character? I figured I'd buy a bunch of arrows to kill necromancers from a distance.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ledneh posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my next character that isn't the old 'get min str/dex, get elemental weapon, gouge vit/end, give no fucks' schtick. That feels... boring :(

I made a dex build that I'll get sorceries on too, with the plan of parrying everything with no vit points. I'm actually dying more than I did when i first started since a whiffed parry often kills me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

whenever im stuck against a boss like that, ive found that after the 4th or 5th try its best to just put the controller down and stop playing for a couple days. when you come back it will be surprisingly easier because you wont be trapped in the failing thought patterns you were in on your first attempt.

heck, I had to take a few day break and just came back and stomped Kalameet first try after losing repeatedly to him before. No idea how . Time for Manus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it turns out Manus is much, much much much easier if you have 20 +6 estus vs 5 +1 . think I've killed every boss in ds1 now, woop

• Locked thread