Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
People who watched the streams: How are the weapon and armour designs in this?

One of my favourite things about Demon's Souls was that almost all the arms and armour were low key and realistic. With a few obvious exceptions like Bramd, that were actually wielded like they ought to weigh.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hope in an attempt to swell weapon variety they haven't added a load of stupid fantasy and anime style poo poo. I'll be pretty upset if there are any chainmail bikinis :(

Given that the overall tone seems to have that same gritty dark realism going on I'm pretty hopeful, just need someone to allay my fears. I heard something about whips earlier which I'm... a little ambivalent about. On the one hand thats pretty cool, and not completely stupid, on the other I hope thats as far as that sort of thing goes.

I don't mind the outright magical like being able to make your sword set people on fire, just lazy fantasy design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Been playing this game non stop for the last two days since it came out in England. I've managed to kill Early boss spoilers The gaping Dragon and that magic dude in front of the garden who didn't get a name. I opened the secret area with the money from the dragon and did a bit of grinding.

Now I've progressed a bit into the garden itself and found item spoilers The Elite Knight Set and the Partizan. Now I can't decide whether to use that or the winged spear I've been using for the rest of the game and have upgraded to +4. Since I only have one spear that is already upgraded I can't check the base stats to see which is better. So, should I abandon the winged spear and farm to upgrade the partizan or stick with the winged spear? The sweep attacks probably would be nice in certain situations.

Also in the Lower UndeadBurg there is a dude locked behind a door, talking to the guy at firelink I'm guessing he is the magic teacher. Where is the key to get him out?

Also in The Depths Are the crystal weapons and armour worth the asking price. They are pretty expensive but, fairly obtainable with the suicide cliff farming method. I have been using the crest shield from the return to the asylum, the winged spear, the pyro hand and the shortbow (which is getting a bit long in the tooth, I'm wary of upgrading it because it seems like I should be finding a compound or longbow around the next corner.

Wow, that's a lot of spoilers and a lot of questions! So far the game is pretty incredible.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

Crowbear posted:

The merchant in Undead Burg sells it iirc

Ah, I never bothered getting that because the master key worked on all the other undeadburg doors. Thanks.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I'm level 64, where could I drop my white soul sign and get into some co-op? I still haven't beaten Anor Londo myself yet. Tried Sen's but didn't get anything either at the start, the bonfire or just before the boss. Its hard to tell exactly what level people are doing things at given the non linearity compared to Demon's Souls.

Also the iron Golem dude was stupid easy. I kept expecting him to suddenly get more dangerous or something.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Haha, the dragon head glitch is amazing.

Since it looks like it is going to get patched out I decided to create a throwaway character to see what it was all about. Also because I Like the idea of having one completely maxed out character to go along with terribly built first character, my low level run and my pvp focused character.

In 5 hours I'm soul level 300 and something, in comparison my main file is 68 hours in and level 64. You can seriously run straight from Firelink fresh out of the tutorial, and with a little skill in dodging and foreknowledge of where enemies are get to ash lake in about 10 minutes. Add another ten to get back, proceed through undeadburg and open the watchtower basin entrance with the masterkey and grab the grass shield from the switchbacks and find some sort of decent level soul like a proud knight or something (It'd take forever to get anywhere meaningful with a lost soul) and you can be level 999 potentially for the time you get to capra demon.

I highly suggest everyone at least have a go at it, even if you don't keep the character, one shotting half the bosses you come across is never not funny.

Don't do it on your main file though. You cheating oval office :(

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

rivera82falcon posted:

Loving this game so far and I love dying all the time.......

I'm at Anor Londo exterier and I can't seem to get past the Great Knight Silver Bow Archers. I'm currently a warrior at SL 45 using the Drake +1 Sword and I can't get past him. Any tips on getting past the two archers and into the castle?

You should really be using a better weapon at this point in the game. Did you pick up the lightning spear in Sen's or a make a fire weapon in the Catacombs?

That said, beating the archers really isn't that hard. Just sprint up the buttress as fast as you can while blocking with the shield. Then once you hit the ledge, go after the one on the right, sprint, shield up, and most importantly stay as straight s possible Don't angle yourself to run into the wall, it might feel safer, but it also means if you get hit you are more likely to be knocked off the ledge as opposed to simply knocked straight back.

Once you have closed distance it should be easy, wait for the knight to switch to his sword and then get right up in his face with your shield. He should swing a few times and knock himself off the ledge from the recoil of his swings.

Then you can deal with the one on the left who should be piss easy on his own.

E. God drat it.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

rivera82falcon posted:

I did pick up the lightning spear. As far as making weapons...haven't done that as I don't know where the catacombs is and didn't realize it can be done soon. I'm a noob at this game but i'm loving it.

You should be able to reinforce the lightning spear right now if you bought the blacksmith kit from the parish blacksmith, or you could wait, without spoiling too much there is a really good blacksmith not too far ahead of where you are. Either way, you should probably think about upgrading a few non unique weapons you like the moveset of to at least +5, and maybe one or two to +10. Provided you have enough shards that is. Out of curiosity, how much damage are you getting out of the drake sword in Anor Londo?

Rough Lobster posted:

Can someone explain how to do the dragon head souls dupe thing? That video of the guy toying around with the greatbow makes me really want to buy a fuckton of arrows for it and upgrade it. I'm on the 360.

In addition to what Vargs said, practice with Estus first. That way you won't gently caress yourself out of any items you actually want while you learn the timing.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Way, way back before this game came out there was some stream that From? maybe Famitsu or someone put on that featured a pretty Japanese lady playing through a bit of the game, IIRC she was pretty good for how lame and well.. Japanese an idea it was.

That's not the point though, in that stream I distinctly remember that she had some sort of sidestep move. I particularly remember her using it on the undead crossbowman that is right outside the midway point fire in Undeadburg, the one before the firebomb bridge, she used it to dodge left and right while advancing on the crossbowman. My question is, what happened to that? At first I thought maybe it replaced the can't roll animation you got when over encumbrance but nope.

I've never heard anyone else mention it, and now I don't know if that was just a dream or something. I swear it can't be though, because I'm pretty sure it was one of the first bits of game footage I ever saw and it was in a super specific and correct area.

Anybody else remember what I'm talking about?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
It was a little single step feint-style sidestep. Barely covered any ground but had no recovery time. It was only just a little wider than the general sidestepping motion you get when locked on to an enemy anyway. Which may well be why they took it out?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Is putting the 4 lord souls in the lord vessel a point of no return? Or can you move back and forth between the kiln and elsewhere?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Awesome thanks. I'm trying to knock as much poo poo out before finishing ng as possible.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
NG+ 4 Kings are terrifying. My first character was built so poorly I don't have much in the way of options. I pretty much have to use elemental weapons which are really starting to seem long in the tooth at this point. I pretty much only need to beat them and get the darkwraith stuff and ending and then a couple of boss weapons and I've done the platinum with that character. I', sure as hell not gonna start a new platinum attempt character. gently caress that.

Argh :(

This feels like payback for never once dying to the ledge snipers in Anor Londo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
So I really, really can't do the old tank way of killing the 4 kings in NG+. I just don't have the health or the damage output, even with a +10 fire Zweihander and Havel's set, the stamina regen mask and shield. I even had a phantom helping me, except he was doing basically no loving damage with a furysword, and the he left half way through.

How did other people deal with them? I really want to get to Kaathe and do the dark ending. I know that you don't have to reach Kaathe to get the dark ending, but it seems right y'know.

• Locked thread