Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

bleep posted:

Giant Bomb uploaded an 85 minute quick look if anyone wants to see more gameplay.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

Damnit, I was trying to hold off on any more media exposure, but I can never pass up a GB quick look.

Question I haven't seen asked so far - does gender play a big role in how your character develops? The only thing I've seen is that certain armour sets are male or female only, is that the only difference? Also, do the gender specific armours tend to cater to different play styles? For instance, more light/magic armour for females, more heavy stuff for males, or something along those lines. Only asking because Monster Hunter did something similar and I recall that female characters had more light armour, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Smelly posted:

I thought they were making ALL the armor Unisex this time :confused:

I might need to double check, but I was sure they found a female-only armour set in one of those gamescom videos, the ones in the huge prison complex with the lizard men.

Edit: Hmm, here's what I was talking about, from this video. http://i.imgur.com/STQjS.png (edited img tags out in case of :siren:spoilers:siren:, it's just a shot of the character picking up an armour set though)

Then again I'm just assuming based on the name of the set, but there's every chance male characters can wear it too. :v:

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 29, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

KezzKezzan posted:

That armor can be equipped by men too, I watched a stream with a male character who used it when loving around.
Armor is all unisex this time around!

Haha, awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Every gift aside from the Master Key can be found or purchased throughout the game.

From the last page, but just to confirm - does this include the pendant?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Hahaha, this game is amazing. Tentatively working my way through the first few hours, just got to the fog door before the boss in Undead Burg and did some backtracking into the other areas. Frankly I thought I was doing really well at first, only had one death to the tutorial boss when I tried to fight him with my broken sword, but wasn't having any huge problems. Then I get to the bridge with the firebomb guys, clear it all out, and spot something shiny down below. A note on the floor said "try jumping," so I tried!

Bad idea. :aaaaa:

So I wiped the black knight jizz off my face and trudged on, working my way around the other side to confront him. Five black fire bombs later I barely whittle down the rest of his health with only a sliver left myself. My heart was loving racing like I haven't felt for years playing a game, holy poo poo.

Still wallowing around the first area but christ I think I'm in love. :swoon:

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Hey quick question, sorry if this was answered already but there's no loving way I can keep up with this thread.

Just fought the black knight at the start of Darkroot Basin and almost had him when he leapt backwards off a cliff to his death. I got the souls but I'm relatively sure I saw an item floating around down where he fell. Is that just gone for good now? I've tried quitting, leaving to other areas and coming back and a combination of both and he doesn't seem to spawn again. If so, would that have been a set item or just a random drop I can find elsewhere?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

But Not Tonight posted:

It was most likely a piece of titanite, very rarely will they drop their sword of badassery or shield.

Eh okay, I can deal with that, they're cheap from the smith and there seem to be plenty more black knights where that one came from...

So I just found out how to get back to the Northern Undead Asylum. I won't mention anything out of "courtesy" for anyone who hasn't, but... holy poo poo. There is no :gonk: big enough.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
How are invasions meant to work? I tried using a red eye orb but it came back with "invasion failed" and still consumed the item, so now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Does it just search for human players who are in the same area as you, or is it completely random?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

evilalien posted:

Yeah, it just flies away before you can kill it and reappears later on as if nothing ever happened.

On a similar note, what are the usual repercussions for attacking friendly NPCs? I'm assuming most will just kick your rear end into your skull, but do they forgive and forget after you return later? I'm assuming they stay dead if you actually manage to kill them, someone mentioned he killed the shopkeeper in Undead Burg and he didn't seem to come back.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Nick Biped posted:

I haven't attacked a NPC yet, but I came darn close once. It's the character right after you beat the Taurus Demon, who's standing alone staring into space (facing away from you and naturally opening himself up to a sneak attack) and who gives you that white stone. I was a second away from doing an attack since I thought it was an enemy, until I thought better of it and went up close enough to see the "Talk" button. This game sure makes you paranoid.

My policy is to try targeting any character I'm not sure about. It won't let you lock on to friendly NPCs.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Beat Capra on my second try as a knight. I think he's just much easier as a tanky character since you can go toe to toe with him... and it's not like you have much choice in the matter.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry for all the questions, but hey the last one was about 1,000 replies ago so it's already long buried. :v:

So I just got a weapon to +5 and was going to do babby's first upgrade, but the blacksmith in the Parish only seems to do Raw or +6. Judging by an image I found (http://postimage.org/image/21hfz31pg/) it looks like the Raw path is a dead end, and I'm not sure if I should try and get it to +10 straight away if the higher tier upgrades aren't going to be available until much further in the game. Should I just let it sit at +5 until I find a way to give it a low-tier elemental upgrade?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

G.I. Jaw posted:

Wait until you can get an elemental upgrade, fire and lightning will double the amount of damage the weapon does. Fire can be gotten pretty early on from the skeleton smith in the catacombs and is very effective, as only a few bosses and enemies really resist it.

Awesome, thanks.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
So I was in the Firelink Shrine before, and as I walked into the destroyed building the crow is perched on I heard something snoring for a solid half minute. It had subtitles and everything. I searched everywhere but couldn't find the source... :wtc:

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
I just took that path, the ladder to go up to the shortcut is a little hard to spot and you might walk clean past it the first time. When you come up the first ladder after you've taken the water wheel lift, look directly to your right.

Speaking of, I just got back from Blight Town with a load of green titanite and I only just noticed you can get Magic or Divine weapon upgrades. Is there any great difference there? They both seem to grant magic damage but with different stat scaling. I'm planning to go to the catacombs next, I thought I heard that divine weapons stop the skeletons reassembling? Is that true of magic weapons too?

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'm pretty sure END affects roll, not DEX. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Yeah, endurance increasing equip load, which dictates roll speed. If your total equip load is below half your maximum you get faster movement speed and a quicker roll. If it's below a quarter of maximum you get the quickest of both.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Posted this a couple pages back but didn't get a reply, any help?

quote:

I just got back from Blight Town with a load of green titanite and I only just noticed you can get Magic or Divine weapon upgrades. Is there any great difference there? They both seem to grant magic damage but with different stat scaling. I'm planning to go to the catacombs next, I thought I heard that divine weapons stop the skeletons reassembling? Is that true of magic weapons too?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Isn't Winged a straight upgrade from a regular Spear? That's what I've been using.

Schlegel Mach posted:

Divine weapons are generally useless except for the catacombs. Magic is generally useless unless you're upgrading int. If you're doing catacombs you should grab a divine weapon.

Awesome, thanks.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
So is there any eventual benefit to sticking with Way of White? The guy at Firelink told me that they kindle bonfires for gain some kind of reward, so I've been kindling like crazy, but it's unclear whether I'm working towards something or not.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Posted earlier, anyone? Trying to figure out if I can safely abandon them for the Chaos Servants, want access to that shortcut.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

So is there any eventual benefit to sticking with Way of White? The guy at Firelink told me that they kindle bonfires for gain some kind of reward, so I've been kindling like crazy, but it's unclear whether I'm working towards something or not.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Way of the White suck. The only benefit is some vague thing about better coop matching with other members of the covenant but it's not worth sticking with them for it.

Ditch them for the fireball flinging spider people :black101:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Don't know what the point of giving that guy 900 souls to tell me about kindling was, then...

sentrygun posted:

It feels weird hearing so many of you guys talk about how hard Queelag was. I ran straight sword and board against her and the worst problem I had was stepping backwards into standing lava like a dope, or having to wait for her to stop sitting around in lava and actually come attack me.

Strafing right up against her and to the right let me avoid nearly every single swing she had in close range and I just wailed on her between those.

I summoned that half-naked NPC phantom and she kept her distracted for pretty much the entire fight while I two-handed my spear up her egg sac. What's that NPC's deal, anyway? I figured it was a player until they started behaving all AI-like, except I haven't encountered anyone like that in the game.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

sentrygun posted:

A Dark Phantom like this exists in almost every area I think. You have to be in human form and then pass by their area to trigger them spawning. She's the easiest since most people will trigger her by walking out of the second bonfire. The only other one I'm aware of that I've triggered myself is Kirk who appears if you're in human form near the waterfall or around the basilisk area in The Depths.

Wow, you've gotta be kidding me. These are the only two invasions I've had and they were loving NPCs? No wonder they were so easy. :v:

Now I'm a little depressed, been wandering around in human form quite a bit and not been invaded legitimately once. Also used all four of those red eye stones and every one failed. Hope that patch sorts this stuff out...

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
So here's a review I spotted on the site I bought this from.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Holy christ. Just tried to take Ornstein and Smough with a random player and Solaire, was doing great up until Ornstein went super saiyan and hosed us good. I guess next time I'll kill him first. :ohdear:

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
That Waspinator stream is great, but he's pretty hopelessly stuck on Quelaag at the moment, and Maneater Mildred is proving no great help. If you're SL ~60 on Xbox 360 and on NG+, chuck down a sign and help him out!

Actually, that's something I was curious about. Do summons work between players on different iterations of their new game?

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Oh poo poo, I'm right around his level on Xbox. Be right back!

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
drat, just got there and chucked down my sign, checked back into the stream just as he was defeating her. Oh well, good for him. Too bad it looks like he had to chuck on some armor to do it.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

He got it in the end. My wife is doing some private tutoring and I'm sat with my headphones in. I got so into the fight (because I knew he'd been trying for ages) and it was so close and then he managed it and I sort of forgot myself and shouted "UWAAAA!", which got me some quizzical looks.

Haha yeah, I caught it just as I was checking back after putting down my summon sign. Man, this stream is getting really depressing, he's trying to get to the first Blighttown bonfire and keeps dying on those loving tiny red dogs. He's so close, too. :(

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Hope this hasn't been posted. Wait until the end (or just skip ahead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5FFVSNOrA

Filthy Monkey posted:

Edit: Useful post from gamefaqs

Thanks for this! Want to make a tanky character and was curious about poise.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also what level do y'all recommend the optional fight that is in Anor Lando castle? You know the one. I got slaughtered at level 35. I wasn't expecting there to be three of them...

Do you mean Lautrec and his posse? You only have to kill Lautrec to win, so try and isolate him as much as you can while using the pillars to avoid the sorcerer's magic. Abusing the stairs to put them in single file seems to work for some people too, but I didn't try that.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

They do indeed.

Finding this out was the biggest feeling of relief I experienced in the entire game. Just camped out at the middle bonfire and cheesed them with iron flesh until the place was nice and empty. Don't even feel bad because gently caress those things and gently caress that place.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

yrF posted:

Just died from a plunging attack over the edge in the Burg. Only, it took forever for the game to realize my character fell to her death. I fell past all the level geometry into a gray fog. After about a minute, the game finally killed me, but no animation change and no sound effects; just "YOU DIED" and back at the bonfire.

I've had this before while falling down by Snuggly to make the item appear (before I realized you could just quit and reload to achieve the same result).

Also just tried to warp from Nito's area to Firelink, except the game didn't register it or something because the menu went away but my character just kept sitting there. Thankfully it auto-saves so often that I didn't lose any progress from restarting, but it was a little odd.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

stogie posted:

How do you farm the Sack dropped from the Butchers in the Depths? Just kill one and if doesn't drop, quit game and try again?

It's just a vanity item, right? I just got one on my pyro (getting ridiculous drops here, black knight sword and shield on my first two kills where I got NOTHING from any of the BKs on my main run, who could have used them). If you're on Xbox I'd be happy to trade it to you, if that sort of thing is easy enough to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
God, I started a new character and planned to stay in human form as often as possible, but the invades from over-equipped assholes are making me want to stay hollow. Such a loving pain with the lag, they can easily kill me in a single backstab.

• Locked thread