Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you're going to make a dex based character and expect to be able to get the best bow in the game, don't.

A non-respawning character drops the only bow in the game with an S dex damage modifier (and extra range) doesn't even drop it all the time. The second best choice is just an upgraded longbow, which misses out on extra range and only has an A modifier.

This is not 'fair', it's lame. Really lame when this happens 5+ hours into the game and you realize your character will not have another chance to get a bow that doesn't suck until new game+.

e: or a little while longer in game. I might be overreacting but drat this is annoying.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Maremidon posted:

On the upside, I'm getting pretty good at fighting those knights. On the downside, I lost like, three humanity due to a wayward crossbow bolt.

Also, gently caress those spear guys. gently caress their stupid defensive time-consuming asses.

Spring around them in a circle and backstab.

Sankis posted:

Also, which merchant sells the poison cures? Any way to cure toxin?

The woman at behind the grate in the Firelink/Sewers shortcut sells both I believe.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

After spending an hour or so trying to invade people in the forest as a phantom I thought I'd just give everyone a heads up: sorcery is terrible in pvp in this game. Maybe I'm terrible, but the longer cast times and invincibility to spells (through fog ring & lock on immunity or flip spam, which seems to work far better than rolling ever did/does) means every single person I have invade can effortlessly avoid taking any magic damage.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hy_C posted:

I want to try out a magic build so I can use that sweet looking Magic Spear from the Big Hat guy. Is a full magic build viable at all?

It is very powerful. Grab the extra magic damage hat and ring, kill things in 1-2 Soul Arrows, die in about the same amount of hits. Fog ring breaks the PvE experience because you can walk into lock on range and one shot 90% of monsters before they even know you're there.

Also, be prepared to curse the designers - dogs tend to close distance faster than one can hit them with a soul arrow.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There's not much talk of invasions from the red (Darkwraith) side, anyone else interested in the mechanics?

I've been invading and invaded over the last few days, and after some interesting conversations I've discovered some slightly more interesting facts. On some other forums, posters speculate the red eye stone may not have an upward SL limit when invading. In other words, an invader may invade anyone with a higher SL, not just within a certain range.

My own experiences corroborates this. The red eye stone seems work outside of the generally accepted level restrictions. I was invaded multiple times by the same player; I am SL 25, he said he was SL 10. That is more than a 10 SL gap (and greater than 10% or 10+10%).

One of my victims sent a message asking about my level in comparison to his SL 70. In the Painted World, I fought mages with 5 orb Homing Soul Mass, which insinuates a level higher than 25. I have also invaded multiple people with absurdly high armor & health who admitted to using the dragon head glitch to max out many of their attributes.

I have been sitting at DarkWraith+2 the entire time I've been invading, don't know if it matters.

So does anyone else have any experience with the red eye stone and could comment on it? I mean, I love a challenge but some of the fights the game chooses seem damned near unwinnable.

On another note, it seems like nobody ever picks up my white sign anymore since I joined the covenant. On the other hand, it might be my impatience - I get bored waiting after 5 minutes, use the red eye orb, and invade someone in less than a minute most of the time.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 20, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ColdCock posted:

Best place to acquire Titanite CHUNKS anyone? And, um to a lesser extent, slabs?

Hi, Darkwraith buddy! I have noticed the same thing regarding level, but considering we don't lose our humanity, unhollowedness, or souls I'm OK with being mismatched to higher SL players. BTW, has there been any talk about not losing our poo poo as being a bug or is it an intended perk?

I get the impression it is as intended, seeing as how you still have to recover your bloodstain. I think people who kill the Darkwraith get a copy of your soul amount and a humanity (not sure about the humanity).

For anyone looking to cause serious grief though, go for the Darkwraith Gauntlet humanity steal. At Darkwraith+2 I steal up to 5 humanity per hit. It is fantastic if people leave themselves wide open - even if I die, I win becuase I leave with 5 humanity, they lose 5 humanity.

E: Darkwraith is an amazing covenant for someone like me who finds it easier to kill people than most of the bosses. I can annoy the poo poo out of some people, take their souls, and kindle my bonfires up to 20 estus!

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 20, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Has anyone played around enough with the Lightning Spear line of miracles to comment on its effectiveness? I'm torn between starting up an int or faith caster-like character and I have no clue what kind of damage the attack miracles do.

Are we talking Great Soul Arrow or Great Heavy Soul Arrow damage for Lightning Spear/Greater Lightning Spear/Sunlight Spear? Are they even worth considering as a viable attack option compared to simply swinging a big sword?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DarkArchimedes posted:

The regular lightning spears are good when you first get them, but they end up getting outclassed by Pyromancy really easily. They're still useful with high faith, don't get me wrong. The second level lightning spear is neat, but it's got a limited number of uses that kind of hinder it. It's not something I'd depend on when you've got so many more options with other spells. Walking around with a couple of Homing Soulmass/Homing Crystal Soulmass complemented with some Soul Spears or Pyromancy feels like it's more practical.

That's... not very promising. I was hoping they could be used like a high-int Heavy Soul Arrow - a one-shot on some irritating enemies or about 1.5-2x a single swing with a lightning weapon.

Are we talking too weak to spear an invader or difficult monster down in less than 3 hits?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Macksy posted:

Which skeletons? I played through the catacombs with a divine claymore and the skeletons didnt stop rezzing until I killed the necromancers.

You didn't have a Divine Claymore, because divine weapons kill the skeletons dead without having to kill the necromancers first.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I just leveled enough to get 20 faith, and so I can finally use the Lightning Spear miracle that the Sunlight covenant gave me. It looks really awesome, but I'm having trouble using it effectively.

Is there any way to hit things at beyond targeting distance? Some way to aim it would go a long way toward making it a viable weapon.

Nope; most spells literally fizzle out and disappear past lock on range (and some sorceries like soul arrow do so slightly before the edge of lock on range). Welcome to using magic in this game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I'm really, really glad I got Sif from above the limping threshold to dead in one hit. I would have felt awful finishing a limping dog. :smith:

I would put that puppy down even if it didn't have a sword twice my height in its mouth.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Volitaire posted:

So Shiva doesn't look like a ghost if you invade with the ring? I never invade in the forest so I don't know.

They should have at least realized they could lock on.

They're unbelievably dumb, yes, they should have locked on to him.

I wish my opponents were all that bad...

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ball Stink posted:

what does it mean when I have humanity in my inventory/items list but it doesnt show up in the HUD, and the bonfire says I have no humanity?

You crush those sprites in your palm by using them, which gives you humanity.

Shalinor posted:

Sooo... the sewer merchant ran out of humanity. God dammit, I still need 20 for Chaos. Where do I farm this stuff, again? :(

Rats in the depths, which is slower but easy to get to.
In the last room of the Tomb of Giants there are baby skeletons; these drop them much faster, but you must mash x/a constantly because the humanity items they drop vanish very quickly.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 26, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone know the specifics of Dark Hand functionality? I've hit people with it in PvP for damage with the strong attack, but it didn't do any grabbing. It just did damage after the full windup.

It is a frontal grab. My experience is that you must hit them in the front, not the side or back. It also seems that if the target has enough poise to ignore a strong attack, it may not grab the person; almost as if the grab is a special 'stun' effect.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DarkArchimedes posted:

I have mixed thoughts on that fight.

On the one hand, it does feel like maybe it was a bit rushed. On the other, Gwyn is basically a burned out husk, and the end of the game isn't about him so much as about whether you choose to follow in his footsteps or drastically change the world. It might have actually been an aesthetic choice to make the final boss fight much simpler.

I agree about Gwyn (should we spoil this?): I think the absence of an intro is to underline the point that he is nothing more than a hollow. The Gaping Dragon, Gargoyles, O&S, etc. were all living (in some sense), and seemed coherent, if violent. Unlike the others, Gwyn is roughly the mental equivalent of the first zombie you fight.

Or it was rushed, but the effect is the same.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

To be really honest I think I have only died once to the mosquitoes, ever. The trick is to ignore them. Seriously.

Just keep moving and they can't do much at all to you; their few hits should be easy to manage via estus. Like everyone else has said, they only appear once you're close to the bottom, so just run for the bonfire.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

What determines the souls given on Forest Hunter invasions? I always seem to get pathetic amounts in the range of 400-3000.

The amount of souls your victim has accumulated before death.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

DasHangman posted:

Man, the Four Kings boss can go to hell. I'm at SL 54 with 25 STR, 18 DEX, 12 INT, and 16 FTH. Currently using Quelaag's Furysword, trying to get my stats up to use Greatsword of Astorias. I can't get a single one of the long bosses down. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I found the issue. Your vit and end probably sucks.

There is a trick to it (in a loose sense). If you can't figure it out, use high defense armor, Iron Skin, and the biggest, baddest weapon you have. Wail on enemies until they die.

This is technically doable at extremely low levels, but it may take a little bit if the kings decide to open up with that unavoiadle, undodgable purple energy blast and follow up with a sword slash. I was killed at least 3 times in a row by that exact combo on my SL25 run. I don't think I'm terrible, but I never found any way to not be hit by that damned thing.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

WalletBeef posted:

I have a new favorite weapon : the +4 lightening barbed straight sword.

Pros: Does 212 physical and 212 light damage when its at +4 lightening.
Very light, can be swung extremely fast for a sword.
Super pro : Does 300 bleed damage.

I chose this weapon for its fast swing speed and its bleed damage. Prior to this I was rocking a +4 lightening spear but it just got too boring for me. I was also using the +5 lightening zwei hander with the crystal ring shield, but again, got totally bored with 1 shotting everything. The bleed damage is like a bonus, every 3rd hit or so (if you're hitting the enemy fast enough) you will see a huge chunk of life come off from the bleed damage. For most non boss enemies, this will finish them off. Fun.

This is good to hear because I was hoping to pick up a fire barbed sword as a backup to my zweihander. Unfortunately, Kirk didn't drop his shield or sword for me in the Depths despite 300+ item find.

I really hate Dark Souls' limited chances at rare, powerful drops. As a comparison, at least in Demon's Souls you could get every item in the game if you were careful not to die and accidentally screw up world tendency. In here, I'm forced to cross my fingers and hope for a rare drop of the best goddamn longsword in the game (and if it doesn't drop then gently caress YOU PLAYER).

e: to reiterate, this only annoys me because his sword is a longsword with extra bleed, no downsides, and requires one to be lucky, not skilled or knowledgable.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 29, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

invalid posted:

So my super knight of Jesus hasn't worked out so well.

My main weapons are an occult claymore +5 with an eagle shield +1 or chrystal shield +1

Any imput?

Edit - I should add that I would like to get that Darkmoon miracle but have gotten my rear end handed to me every time in pvp -which is always dark world Andor.

Ditch the Occult Claymore for a Lightning Anything +5 or a Fire Something + 10, upgrade your Eagle Shield to at least + 14.

From there, you look to be set. Scaling weapons like Divine/Occult/Magic/Enchanted have a hard time matching the damage of an elemental weapon, and only having a +1 shield is silly.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

invalid posted:

Sorry to go back to this, but what do you suggest I level up?

I'd suggest vitality since you think you need more; you already know that 40 is a good endurance breakpoint, and damage scaling for strength/dexterity/intelligence/faith drops off after 40, severely after 50. Unless you really want to cast a specific spell, your faith is probably alright for the moment.

If nothing else, vitality is always great; it is a mistake buffer and one-shot prevention stat.

On the topic of weapons, your occult claymore rocks because it is a claymore. The one handed fierce is a lunge that does far more than the sword's stats would indicate. My guess is the scimitar/falchion and lucerne/halberd movesets do not have any strong individual hits approach the speed and damage of the claymore's vicious R2.

Is there a better weapon for the 16str/10dex investment? I'm thinking not.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 29, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

invalid posted:

And looking ahead: do you have to meet the intel requirement to buy the spell or can you but it but not equip it?

You need 10 int before the apprentice sells to you, 15 before Logan sells to you, and there is no requirement to buy spells from the blacksmith locked up in the New Londo Ruins.

You can buy the spells regardless of int requirements and can even attune them, but you can't cast it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zain posted:

On the subject of the Chaos Blade. I really wouldn't mind that it hurts you, but you'd think it would do reasonable damage in order to justify hurting you.

Also at level 33 where is my best shot for being summoned?

At 33, the bonfire before fighting Quelaag might have some people; Sen's fortress might get you some action as well.

After beating O&S at SL25 or so, I was very glad for the rare but helpful phantom, but its likely an infrequent thing at that level.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nechronic posted:

Made a new character specifically built to use Black Knight Halberd/Axe. Neither of them drop with 410 item find.

Dark Souls! :argh:

You get unlimited chances for the drops at the Kiln, but this is why it is very difficult to build with a particular black knight weapon at all, and what discourages me from even trying.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

adj posted:

The Claymore is a terrible weapon for PvP. As much as I love it in Demon's Souls it sucks in Dark Souls. I Think I've died liked 80 times now in PvP using it. PvP really works better here with Daggers or something.

It has 180 degree arc sweeps, a powerful long range stab, and a hefty amount of damage. Most importantly, it is fast enough to stunlock quite easily.

The issue is you. Using a greatsword in pvp requires forethought and prediction to land hits; swing where they will be, not where they are. You should only need 1 combo, maybe two to finish others off.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

enojy posted:

Or can you.....?!

This is Lolo Hills; you have to let Sif live to unblock the path.

I hate you.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Primetime posted:

Well my no shield, light armor was going well and was incredibly fun up until now. This playthrough has made me understand just how awful of a boss the four kings are. They're incredibly easy if you're just a heavy armor melee character, but if you want to play as a dodging character you're SOL. Seriously, can you even dodge his long distance energy shot thing, or his grab attack. I've tried every possible roll I can think of and they both hit me every single time without fail. I really didn't want to resort to breaking my no shield run, but this appears to be impossible without one.

I don't think there is a way to dodge the pink energy shot. You can dodge the throw by rolling backwards when they begin the animation, but if you notice too late there's not much to do.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

sentrygun posted:

There's a way to dodge everything, so yes, there is a way to dodge the energy shot, it's just not easy.

I agree and take back most of what I said about the attacks being difficult to dodge, maybe I'm just not that good yet.... Watch the first three minutes and imitate, although it is only new game, not new game+: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c-97hLQkw&feature=channel_video_title

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zain posted:

Got the moonlight horn for my sorcerer and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's kind of underwhelming. Un-upgraded it seems to deal the same damage as a lightning spear with 32 int. I thought someone said it fires a laser if you R2 it, but alas that is a lie. Also at least let me enchant the drat weapon! It's not like it does anything special enough to not allow it.

If you're looking for a decent beatstick as an int-based character, look into the Moonlight sword. I recently picked it up on my sorcery caster; combined with a pile of repair powders I no longer use any arrow spells. The R2 lasers are both fun and amazing. The two handed version is especially funny in pvp; it is a faster casting and far flasher version of the Emit Force miracle.

Its melee damage is acceptable because of the single damage type, although you'll want something else for magic resistant foes.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zain posted:

Just kind of find it amazing how well polarizing the soul is. Makes a pretty sweet attack shield or a really lame spear. It'd be one thing if this was an "early on" spear, but it's not.

At least with things like Quelaag's Furry Sword vs Chaos Blade the Chaos Blade gets deals bleed damage and gets stronger with more humanity. Though I guess the Iron golem's soul is the same way a really lovely fist weapon or a pretty good axe.

I can kinda see what they're doing saying "Now the boss weapons aren't the end all beat all weapons like they were in Demon" but at least make them comparable.

To be fair, there is one boss soul weapon in Demon's Souls which overshadows the others by a large margin; the Meat Cleaver. That thing was a monster from the moment one obtained it until the character was finished.

You bring up an interesting point though. In Demon's Souls, one had to choose between using boss souls for new weapons, magic, and miracles. It is a mechanic that forces multiple rounds through the game; many souls had multiple uses and could only be used once. Some choices exist (shield vs. spear with the butterfly soul, like you explained), but they are largely choices between weapons rather than archetype-defining upgrades.

I can't be the only one who feels buying magic spells and miracles from shopkeepers and trainers is less interesting than learning from the souls of the dead. On the positive side, the entirely different magic system is awesome. I'm tempted to play to about round 5 solely to have 5 slots of Crystal Soul Mass. That would be 25 casts with the Crystallization Catalyst....

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Penny_Dreadful posted:

That seems really strange to me, you had already done the most difficult parts, surely Quelagg was a more difficult hurdle then a few snakes in Sen's Fortress?

You could have got a Jagged Ghost Blade from New London, or used a Mace, Morning Star, Hand Axe, or Battle Axe with a Fire +5 enchant from the Catacombs, or a Magic +5 enchant below Firelink Shrine.

This right here is what makes Dark Souls interesting on so many levels. My first run through the game, I played a sorcerer-type character and the lizard men were borderline harmless. Soul Arrows and Homing Soul Mass destroy the things before they get a chance to swing. I thought Sen's was some kind of joke.

Then I played through on a 1 handed weapon focused melee character and realized it is a joke, albeit a sick one on anyone who hasn't upgraded their weapons extensively. They are parry-able and somewhat easy to step around and backstab, but they are much like the Darkwraiths of New Londo Ruins - loving impossible to stun with anything less than a complete knockdown attack.

I think I have died more to serpent men and Darkwraiths than any other enemy type, even thin walkways. Maybe my brain is broken.

e: I'd be interested to hear from everyone complaining of lag on the topic of their ISP. I'm starting to wonder if the game simply requires a very high speed connection to play without visible lag. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with fiber optic available and I've been lag-stabbed maybe 2-3 times total since release, which seems really inconsistent with the complaints I've read.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 7, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Palleon posted:

There's no way that's right because I've co-oped with people way outside +/- 10%, it's at least +/- 10 levels, the only question mark would be if there is also 10% on top of that.

I'll confirm the +/-10 being true; have played with as low as 15 on my SL25 (unless the random guy on PSN was lying about his SL).

Will also second the question mark about the +/-10% because I have no idea if that part is true or not.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I'm really tempted to just bump my strength to 16 and get a divine claymore. It honestly just seems like the logical progression from Astora's Straight Sword, considering they have pretty much the same movesets. Is there anything better for a faith build? I'd rather not be pumping many stats.

If you place 40-60 points into STR/DEX or STR/[magic attribute], the Divine Claymore (or divine anything) will nearly match the damage of an elemental one.

So yea, there are two options that are exponentially better than a Divine Claymore.

A Fire Claymore +10 or a Lightning Claymore +5.

E: For clarification, Divine is for slaying skeletons if you can't kill the necromancer reviving them without first putting down every single skeleton in the way. Fire and Lightning are for damage. After the patch, you could place 30-60 points into strength, dexterity, and/or a magic attribute and almost match the damage output from an elemental weapon. Or you could spend the bare minimum in STR/DEX and have maybe 10% less damage output and 50 more points in vitality or endurance.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 8, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

Just got invaded in the parish by some prick in full Xanthous King gear who was vomiting acid cloud everywhere. He did give me a black knight sword, but really, there was no chance in hell I was going to beat him so early on.

I realize trolling lowbies is fun and all, but really, dude, really?

This reaction right here is why they do it.

Hell, your reaction reminds me I haven't gotten any hate messages in a few days, maybe I'll rectify that.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

"I'll try Power Within on the Four Kings. I hate this fight so, so much, but I really want to just get past it." Get grabbed and killed by my own Power Within. :thumbsup:

edit: And then I put on a RoFaP by mistake

Is there any way to dodge that grab other than running away? Running away is not an option.

Rolling away works too. Seriously, how do you expect to avoid a creature four times your size grabbing your rear end short of getting out of his arm's reach?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elysiume posted:

I was way out of arm's reach. Dude just glided over to me that time. Next time, I didn't even bother to dodge.
I realized what I'd done and didn't close my inventory, so I just bounced back to my dashboard.

I seriously have no idea how the gently caress I died that time. There were about two bars left, my Power was over, and I got two-shotted through full Smough's. I just straight up don't know what the gently caress. It's stupid how the fight is pretty much determined entirely by what attacks they decide to do, and the fact that it's a long, boring run over there.

The grab is definitely avoidable. The kings lunge forward quite a bit during the grab, enough so that you must roll twice (at least with less than 25% equip weight) the moment they begin the attack. They sort of 'charge up' for a moment; that is your cue to get out.

The giant purple energy blast they have can easily do upwards of 50% damage; this can only be dodged by running away (as far as I can tell). If you are too slow to slay them, it is possible (unlikely, but possible) for one to blast you from the side/behind, giving no warning and setting you up for a 2 hit kill combo. They tend to follow up the blast with a dashing slice or grab.

At some level, yeah, you have to get lucky with their choice of attacks. Thankfully, it only matters a lot in the first moments of the fight, where you hope they don't throw that energy blast, forcing you to dodge it and waste valuable time.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

So damage scores for bows just mean something different than damage scores than other weapons? What the hell...

No, they work just like every other weapon in the entire game. They have an attack power which is useful to compare them to other weapons of the same type, but the attack power number is not always a 'base damage' for each swing.

For example, a 100 attack power claymore r1 will hit for roughly 100 damage with no defenses. A 100 attack power rapier's r1 will not hit for anywhere near 100 damage per hit.

This is an immediately visible part of the game's mechanics if you have tried more than 1 weapon with roughly the same attack power and damage type. Generally, a very quick weapon will hit for less than the attack power number, while slower ones will hit for around the attack power number, with r2s doing more.

e: To be more specific to bows, a 100 damage bow does close to 100 damage a shot, but is also affected by armor.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

This is so loving poo poo as gently caress as poo poo as gently caress. I'm getting right up in 4kings' faces, where their sword damage is doing very little. Then, out of making GBS threads nowhere, their sword clips me in a certain way, even though I'm practically crawling up their anus, and I lose all my health. Bam, done, sorted. Iron Flesh does gently caress all for me, except make me easier to hit and then I die anyway, so I gave that up, high magic defence means I can get to them but it's this particular area where I get clipped and I'm done in one hit. This is the worst thing on NG+ so far.

EDIT: And then you die on the WAY to 4kings, and it makes me want to grab one of the cute little squirrels that frequent my neighbourhood, pin it to the wall with drawing board pins and feed it bleach, just to share the grief.

DOUBLE EDIT: I swear the enemies change their behaviour from time to time. The Darkwraith at the bottom of the shortcut has just turned into this rear end who does nothing but kick. Then I beat him after wasting a flask, and the next one I always run around does something weird and full health kills me with his thrust. I am not having a good time here.

FINAL EDIT AND poo poo: I know I'm obviously a bit salty now, seeing as I got a five mile grab and killed again as soon as I got there, but gently caress a duck, this is the worst boss in both games combined. It's the old RPG problem of being punished for picking a character that requires playing with skill, where the guy who rolls a tank never, ever gets punished for it. It's stupid and it's a stupid boss that breaks the entire ethos behind both games - careful, intelligent, skilful play. As I don't have the build to just walk up and tank like a mashing idiot, I am being punished for it. I hate that. I really hate that, and it makes me prefer Demon's over Dark. Maybe I'm misremembering and wearing some heavily salted, rose tinted specs, but I don't remember a boss in Demon's that I couldn't beat with a light, fast character, given I had the skill to do so.

I'm going to guess you have maybe 15 vitality.

Technically possible to beat the kings if you're being one shotted by any enemy in New Londo, but you have to learn the moves and where to dodge.

Filthy Monkey posted.

Digger-254 posted:

Not really...

edit: before you have an aneurysm, I know that's only NG. I also noticed that the Kings didn't use their homing purple death... thing, whatever. But pretty much everything else they do is dodgeable. Maybe you can pick up a few pointers from how this dude does it?

Watch the video, mimic the moves, sprint away from the big purple energy blast. The kings are entirely beatable without taking repeated hits to the face, you just need to calm the gently caress down and fight carefully. Unless your weapon hits like a limp noodle, you should only ever get attacked by two at a time (at most) for a few moments (at most).

Really though, if you are being one shotted by darkwraith npcs in New Londo on the first time through the game, then your vitality is far too low for your dodging skill.

EDIT: If the issue is damage, you didn't mention what weapon you're using. Dexterity based builds can do good damage, but don't use a rapier or something small and light against them. There are definitely heavier dexterity scaling weapons - think about a great scythe or murakomo +14. Defense in Dark Souls is subtractive, not multiplicative. Any big weapon will do far more damage per hit and cause more damage over time to enemies if you are not causing critical hits (back stabs and counters).

Don't forget resins if you have two seconds to reapply them before/between kings, ~50 more damage a hit can add up.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 3, 2011

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

Cool, thanks - I'll check that out in a little bit. I'm looking for strats for dodging against two kings at once.

For the record, I'm using QFS+5, with high dex (I forget how much but it's over 40)

That is probably a big part of your problem. That isn't a very high damaging weapon, as it doesn't rely on stats for bonus damage (+50% of 90 physical damage is still jack poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Kongming posted:

I've only just discovered how amazing Stamina grass is. It really helps a ton on that fight. You can swing almost non-stop. I'm not sure if it stacks with other stamina regen boosts or if there is a cap on stamina regen but I added Mask of the Child and Grass Crest Shield for good measure.

There is no cap, but the item boosts don't really compare to the incredible grass boost.

By the same token, Power Within is amazing; 40% more damage and quick stamina regeneration makes most boss fights very easy if your damage is already high.

• Locked thread