Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
They seem to be mostly multiplayer related judging from the wiki, but there are certainly some PvE elements in there, like access to certain spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I think Demon's Souls taught some people to value rolling too much. I just watched a guy strip off all his armor so he could fast-roll directly into a one-hit death swing that he could've shrugged off by blocking. No one seems to ever notice that you don't get stun-locked in heavy armor.

How does the poise system work anyway? If you're wearing heavy armor and pump up your endurance, do you get staggered more because your armor is less heavy relative to your stats, or is it based on the armor's weight alone? I mean you could always just wear heavier armor, but it seems odd that increasing a stat would make you worse at taking hits.

EDIT: Ah, I had assumed that it was inversely linked to roll speed, glad to be wrong.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Someone posted earlier that a friend who got the game early confirmed that XBox Live private chat didn't boot you offline, only party chat. So as long as you only have one friend, you're golden.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Private chat was the only form of live communication available out-of-game on Xbox Live before party chat was introduced. Private chat is strictly one-on-one, while party chat can have up to eight (IIRC) people together. It also facilitates group game invites, and you have to have gold membership to join party chat, which private chat (again, IIRC) does not. Private chat is right on the list of options with party chat invites when you're looking at someone's profile.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

When you get your dex to a certain level (I think 30?) you get to backflip for your roll. I don't know if it just makes the fastest roll faster, or moves everything up a notch, but dex makes you backflip.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

Hey people I have questions, I never played Demon's so these might be stupid:

1.) Can you repair weapons and armor once they break (hit 0 or whatever)? I'm rocking that drake sword and would hate to permanently lose it.

2.) Do better shields improve (i.e. lower) the amount of stamina drained when you block a hit?

1. Yes. Someone confirmed this specifically with the weapon you're talking about.

2. Yes. This is the 'guard break reduction' stat on everything you can block with. Damage reduction is the percentage of damage that is dealt to your stamina instead of your health (most shields have 100% physical damage reduction) and guard break reduction is the percentage of blocked damage that is completely negated instead of delivered to your stamina.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Uh oh.

I used the bonfire while the dragon was on the ground. He hasn't respawned. I'm boned aren't I?

I saw someone streaming who made it to that bonfire. He walked onto the bridge from the Taurus Demon area and the dragon showed up and roasted him again, like when he first approached the bridge. I think it might not be a glitch, the dragon just flies back to his initial position when you pass him.

ireladd posted:

Also, question about a particular weapon after the Gargoyles. I got the axe by cutting off the gargoyle tail, and have the stats to equip it but every time I do the bars for bleeding, poison and deadly poison appear and at a point where they are nearly already full. What's the deal?

That weapon increases your resistance to those status effects. Resistance to a status effect is effectively a regenerating health bar that enemies attack. Once it's empty, you get afflicted. When you equip a weapon that increase your resistance, it adds more potential max 'health' to the bar, so it shows up briefly while it regenerates to the new max.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Smelly posted:

On the subject of Kindling: Didn't they say that kindling a flame increased the Estus count for ALL the players that rest there?

If you stand around a bonfire for long enough a bit of yellow light will come out of the bonfire at you and you'll gain a single flask if you aren't at your max. This is someone else kindling that bonfire.

I think the same thing happens when a message you wrote gets recommended but I'm not sure.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Can someone scan their weapons pages and post them? I'm a compulsive minmaxer and neded to have a early breakpoint for dex/str for my planned mage to feel comfortable.

There's only some preliminary information posted to it yet, but it's still a good source of weapon stats: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/weapons

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

One of the white phantoms had a spear that absolutely murdered all the preboss monsters and took out the boss in 2 or 3 hits. I'm not sure if I'm crazy underleveled, he was crazy overgeared, or if there's already some kind of item exploit out in the wild.

He probably spent a lot of time grinding souls and jacking up a weapon with upgrades, while leaving his soul level low. I remember stepping into people's games in Demon's Souls at SL 12 and killing the Tower Knight in one knockdown using a weapon that I dumped ludicrous amounts of souls and hardstone into. Considering most people run around with unupgraded vanilla weapons they got off a merchant, the disparity in effectiveness can be pretty staggering.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Been playing for an hour or two, made it past the dragon. I've only died three times, all to the mass of 'dreglings' guarding a pile of junk. I think I've gotten the hang of things now, as all my Demon's Souls experience is coming back.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I'm SL 16 and my summon sign is in the courtyard outside the side entrance to the church on the 360 version, someone summon me already I need cash to upgrade my claymore.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I did a plunging attack on the boar (it was right below me up against the stairs) and it did 100+ damage and earned me a boar helmet. Now I'm running around with a gently caress-off claymore (the one-handed heavy attack is a stab now, holy poo poo) and enough poise that nothing can stop the murder.

The jumping heavy attack for the claymore is freaking awesome. The length of the weapon combined with the distance of the jump is a lot of ground covered, it does gobs of damage, the fencing dudes can't parry it because it isn't a normal attack and my high poise means that it won't get interrupted in transit. I can't wait to try out some PvP like this.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

der juicen posted:

So... which stone summons? I only have two, one is the invade and the other takes me home. :( I haven't found any awesome armor and I have no idea where the merchant is in the burgh. :\

An npc gives you the summoning stone shortly after the bull demon.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Anyone know where I can find a longbow? I'm looking to start upgrading a bow to make dragon-murder easier and the dinky short-bow I got from the vendor seems like a bad choice.

Also, any idea if you can be summoned to help kill a boss you've already taken care of yourself? I'm wondering if I could leave my soul sign in the church and make some cash that way.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

Is the vendor you're talking about the guy right below the firelink bonfire? Or is it somewhere else?
I'm talking about the guy [apoiler]off to the side just down the stairs from the first bonfire after firelink[/spoiler].

A Nice Boy posted:

In the VERY first part, the tutorial, when you get to the level with the dying knight who gives you the estus flasks, there's an item I can't get. If you run to the left from the room with the dying knight, there's an item up on some crumbling stairs. You can come at this from the back, but there's a door that is locked there. I can't find any way to get at the stuff. Any ideas?

You can't open that door during the tutorial. I think the key to that door is on top of the roof of a ruin near firelink. To get it you need to take the elevator from there to the church and step off after it goes up a floor.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Skunk Ape posted:

Could anyone who uses Heal and Great Heal give some details on those and their effectiveness? I'm wondering if having 5 Heals is going to be a nice supplement to my flask, or if they heal for such a piddly amount that it's not worth the 4,000 soul cost. I'm assuming Great Heal won't be worth it at 10k for only one use.

It's especially handy when you're phantoming, as you can use it to heal even though your estus is unavailable. It'll be the only way you get healed too, because hosts never pay enough attention to your health to fix you up. I'm guilty of this myself. It heals about as much as the default unupgraded estus. It takes awhile to cast though, so use it to patch yourself up between fights or give yourself some breathing room if it's your only recourse.

Why aren't there any souls signs/people willing to summon me for the capra demon fight? It seems unlikely that they're all SL 27+ and we just can't see each other.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

der juicen posted:

Welp, I don't think I can make it past the bull, which kinda blows. Guess it was the wrong game for me.

How did you make it through the tutorial if you can't kill the bull demon?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

der juicen posted:

I drop on him now, I get him over halfway. I nearly killed him with Sorcerer by sniping but I ran out of snipes.

Remember that you can keep dropping on him. If you lead him far away enough from the ladder you can make it back up and hit him again.

The master key is just a nice bonus, there aren't any doors you can't open with a key.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Demtor posted:

I just beat the first boss on the parapet between the two towers and got down to where the red dragon destroys everything on the bridge in the blink of an eye. Behind me is a sun nutter who doesn't seem to be much help for an offline adventurer, unless you really like staring at the sun.

Actually he's very useful, you can summon him in some boss fights if you're in human form.

It is possible to get past that dragon at your current state. If you want a tip, try sticking to the right and walking slowly.

I was just helping someone with the Capra demon as a phantom. I do so much damage with my +5 claymore that I staggered the boss. :black101:

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 5, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

God, the red dragon is glitchy. I bought a ton of arrows to kill him with and headed out to his location. He was on his perch, but he didn't know he was on his perch, so he was doing his marching routine in a little circle on the gatehouse.

EDIT: Good, a few arrows fixed him up.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

So, dumb question. How do you do a plummet attack?

R1/RB while in mid-air.

Nigulus Rex posted:

How do you upgrade the drake sword?

Dragon scales.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I found a black phantom that looked kind of like a crab next to the enemy that's always at the altar in the undead church. It was bigger than a normal crab but hardly what I'd call giant, maybe 2 or 3 times the size of a basketball. It shot a few volleys of spines at me, but it eventually stopped doing much of anything and was super easy to kill. It dropped some humanity when it died. Was that a vagrant or a normal spawn?

Sound like a vagrant.

If you're on the 360 version, you're welcome. :smug:
I've been dropping extra crap all day.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

To the guy that killed the dragon with arrows, where did you shoot him? Because I've been landing 18 damage arrows into his tail-stump for ages and I swear his health isn't moving.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

He heals

Augh. That is disgusting. Guess I should come back after I've upgraded my bow into a laser-cannon.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

So, killed the Gargoyles and now I'm lost. I seem too weak to go anywhere! PLEASE HALP.

You should've gotten a key near the church area. It opens the door just before the bridge after where you fought the bull demon.

Ankle-biter posted:

It really makes me sad that killing bosses doesn't "revive" you like in the last game. This makes PVP much harder as well as kindling.

Humanity is cheap and accessible, really. Every time you kill a boss as a blue phantom you get a humanity. Honestly the system is exactly the same as Demon Souls except you can bank up your bodies when you already have one, and you'll sometimes get a body from a random trash enemy.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 5, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Argh! How the gently caress do I drop items!? I'm sick of carrying around cracked sword hilts and hollow warrior armours!

Find the item in your menu (item menu not equip screen), select it, hit drop. It's right under 'use'.

I feel like some stuff might be unfairly obscure to the point where I don't feel bad telling people secret stuff on a more fundamental level. Like the fact that you can get special items by lopping off body parts of enemies who have body parts you can lop off.

Half of this stuff can conveyed by a "Weakness: [Limb]" message on the ground anyway.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

enojy posted:

My friend told me about the Drake Sword and I hate it. After spending 3 hours on Moonlight Butterfly with 5 flasks, no ranged weapon, no magic, just a halberd I'm too weak to use doing 15 damage a hit, I sold out and used the sword. I feel really dirty. I'm not letting myself use this sword again. I should drop it somewhere in Undead Burg; maybe it will turn into a gamebreaking phantom for some unlucky gently caress.

I never even used the drake sword when I got it. It has the same strength requirement as a claymore and they're found in the same general area. By the time I met the strength requirement my claymore was +5, did enough damage to be worth using and had a hell of a lot more reach.

Also the drake sword doesn't have a lunging stab attack and that just won't do. :colbert:

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I bought the repair kit off the vendor as soon as I possibly could. It just seemed like a really bad idea to let myself get into a situation where my weapon broke and there aren't any blacksmiths in sight.

The Moon Monster posted:

Sometimes you get humanity added straight to your total from a kill, rather than as an item. The smoke that rises from the dieing enemy looks black instead of white. There's no way to hang on to humanity you got that way other then not dieing.

I think the sewer vendor might sell infinite rings of sacrifice that completely negate the penalty of dying, then disappear. You could always stock up on those.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

So I made it back to the Asylum again and drat do I hate dreglings with torches.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The pendant has another, plot-related use that I don't fully understand yet. I just know some of the names in the item's description are supposed to come up later.

der juicen posted:

So is there a choice to either go through the dragon or take the shortcut to the parish? It looked like it was guarded by some huge animal.

You pretty much have to deal with the dragon at some point to progress, especially if you want to not fight something out of your level range. If you just book it you can make it to the stairwell on the right in the middle of the bridge, you can survive a hit from or two from the fire.

VVV You don't need to be hollowed to drop a summon sign.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 5, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Squint posted:

I fully intend on making a Let's Play of Dark Souls once I feel I'm ready and I have a workflow down.

:neckbeard:

Your LP is probably the reason I got Demon's Souls and subsequently Dark Souls. So, thanks for that.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Alectai posted:

On a side note, I Really want to try to find some heavy armor, and Nobody's managed to find anything better then Chain Mail yet?

I'm having the same problem. Run around the church for awhile killing anything with a cape to get the Baldur chest/leggings. I think there's also a Baldur helmet, but I just use the boar helmet instead. Keep in mind that unless you're hollowed it will make you look ridiculous, like all the enemy armor sets. All together with the chainmail gauntlets (which are actually leather) and I have enough poise to shrug off any attack that isn't designed to stagger you.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Guliani is HOT posted:

If anyone else is having trouble kicking, you have to basically jerk the stick forward :haw: at the same time you hit R1. If your guy actually moves you were too slow.

Anyone who has problems kicking has never played a smash brothers game. :colbert:

Man, I was all psyched out about them, but the curse frogs were easy as hell. Admittedly I was walking around with 7 humanity in my pocket because I'm good at grabbing my bloodstain, but still. Every spray in the face was worth 1/12 or so of the bar. loving poison is deadlier to me right now.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

evilalien posted:

Where is the second entrance to the Sewers? I know of the one near the Capra Demon, but I see some ledges above the large rat that I cannot reach.

Break some boxes behind where the first butcher encounter was and drop down the hole.

Speaking of the sewers, I'm SL 23 360-side and my sign is sitting on top of the stairs to Gaping Dragon, summon me people.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 6, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

No idea why they decided to make the invading items be one time use though...

The new covenant system makes invading much more complex. If you're an average player you can only invade people with the consumable invasion items. Depending on what covenant you join, you can invade people in the forest, people in the book of the guilty, people with dragon scales in their inventory, you can invade them with NPCs while also giving them the chance to invade you, or you could become a darkwraith and just invade whoever the gently caress you want all the time.

Honestly, the way the new system works seems a lot more interesting to me than the old 'dude pops up and tries to kill you while you're grinding' system.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I posted this last night but Didn't get a response. Help?

Are you sure you didn't get bolts instead? As for the two arrow slots, you swap between them by pressing the triggers/L2R2 while in first-person aiming.

Also we should totally figure out some particular gesture to use in-game to figure out if we summoned someone else from the forums.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 6, 2011

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

So... what the gently caress do I do now that I've run out of Transient Curses and I keep dieing at the spot where there are like 10 ghosts near the "chapel" that come out of nowhere and you are just on these little bridges with no room to move around?

You could go get a normal curse from the lizards in the sewers. That works.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Where can I buy items? Some guy earlier was mentioning he was farming souls to buy some items in the undead burg, but I'm at the parish now and I never had any opportunity to buy things.

As you come out of the bonfire room in the burg, it's past the archer on the right. Two spear guys guard it.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

^^^ Find the blacksmith near the church.

Darth Windu posted:

I was already disappointed by the lack of vagrants and gravelords, telling myself that the playerbase only needed time...but I'm beginning to doubt EVERYTHING they told us about this game. I left a helm on the ground for an hour this afternoon, and nothing happened to it. Undoubtedly this is because the P2P could not find anyone.

I'm pretty sure dropped items don't become vagrants in your own game like that. I think once the dropped item is deleted by an rea reset (dying or quitting the game or whatever) it'll pop up a vagrant in someone else's game. As for gravelords, that probably is because of the playerbase, most people seem to be busy getting killed by the gargoyles right now.

VVV None of his moves are unblockable, your shield is just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I think I'm going to restart my character and go with a faith build. It'll be a lot more fun for me than the mish-mash I'm playing now. Also, joining the sun knights gets you LIGHTNING BOLTS.

• Locked thread