Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So just got this game, and made it through the Asylum without dying :smug: Next part, I decide to take the lift down and, seeing an undead lying next to a drop, decide to kick him off. Only I screw it up, swing instead of kick, miss, and the momentum takes me over the edge :ughh: That'll learn me!

Also, where's this merchant in the Burg? I've just unlocked the shortcut to the bonfire just before the fire-throwing cocks, have I passed it or is it just ahead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Aug posted:

Behind the camp spot. Theres a walkway before you go up the stairs. Go across, kill the two shield-spear guys, and go down some steps blocked by crates.

Huh. Is it possible to drag his arse to the bonfire so he's not off the beaten path?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Rascyc posted:

It's really not that much more confusing when you think about it. Even doing the first quest, it actually only opens maybe two alternative paths that you may not want to access.

Heh, I opened a door, walked through, and the area name "Valley of the Drakes" popped up. I fled screaming.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Is anybody else having difficulty getting backstabs? I can never seem to connect with them. Are they linked to Dex in any way?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Whoever said the Belltower Garoyles are easy, gently caress you, gently caress you hard. "Just get in close" they say as I'm stuck there doing the burny dance :argh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Go human and summon that Knight fella to help you out. And anyone else that has their sign down on the ground. Makes the fight just a bit easier when you can get the heat (hurr) off of you a little bit.

I might just try that. Thanks.

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Just started playing for real earlier today, and now it's 4:30am. What an amazingly frustrating yet addicting game. Just beat the Capra Demon and I haven't had many problems with any boss yet thanks to this drake sword. The gargoyles went down in like ~5 hits each. I've certainly had my fair share of stupid deaths, though.

That's the piss-annoying thing about it, I HAVE the drake sword, but the first Gargoyle just doesn't play ball. As soon as he summons the second he's all "Later bitch" and starts flying/jumping around, only attacking when I'm rear end-deep in flames.

CodfishCartographer posted:

The best tactic I found for trying to solo them is to KEEP loving RUNNING. Getting in close is great when there's only one, but as soon as the second shows up, unlock your targeting and begin sprinting like a motherfucker. If you keep moving (at least with less than 50% equip burden) you should be able to outrun most of their attacks, and at that point it's just waiting for them to be in a good position to get a few swings in. Maybe they're both shooting fire, or maybe one's flaming and one just missed an attack or something. Just run up, get 2-3 good swings in (but don't get greedy) then run away and repeat. It'll take a bit of time, but it's fairly safe if you're smart about your positioning.

I tried that my last run. Mistimed a block and went over the edge. :ughh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Does anyone know roughly how much difference in level it is before someone can't see your summon sign? I'm SL23 and had my summon sign outside Capra for a good 10 minutes with no bites. Am I too high or are people just running around all corpsified?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LukeyBoy posted:

Holy poo poo, just killed the gargoyles without help, what a loving rush.

So uh stupid question though, where next? I get the idea I'm supposed to go to Blight Town for the second bell but I'm not sure how. I wandered into the New Londo Ruins though and gently caress the ghosts.

Edit: Without help as the matchmaking is terrible. I wandered around near the boss entrance (as unhollowed) for 30 minutes looking for anyone to be summoned.

Head back to the dragon bridge, down by where that sun knight is. The previously locked door can now be unlocked. After a loooong ladder there will be two paths. Take the one going up for a shortcut to a previous bonfire, go down to continue your quest to die repeatedly.

Heavy neutrino posted:

The guy with the big club is meant to be fought later, but he's not terribly hard to kill at this point as long as you have the patience of a saint.

Annoying thing with him, all the advice I saw on him says to ditch all your armour and go full dodge since you can't block him and live. After roughly 10 attempts involving his loving homing club one-shotting mr, I said gently caress it and went in fully armoured with my Baldur shield up. He took off roughly half my stamina with each hit, and he hits so slowly that I could backstab with impunity. gently caress you advice!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

The shield that drops off the spear-users near the first Bonfire in the Undead area has enough stability that I can soak his hits. The spear they also drop means you can chip away at the knight whilst keeping your defenses up.

... I still have no idea how to beat him, though. None of my attacks do actual damage, they all bounce off his armor. Am I really supposed to whittle him down that way? I guess I could, but I always get bored, and then I die trying to take him out in some fantastically amazing (but doomed to failure) way. Is it possible to back-stab him? Every time I try, I end up doing a normal attack at his butt, and then he turns around and ends me.

That guy I just completely cheesed. Plinked him with an arrow then ran away to the firebomb zombie spot and, well, firebombed him while he ran into a wall.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Oh god that's hilarious!

On a similar note, I spoke to the cat-lady-thing there and answered no to her question, and now she's calling me a catnip or something. Have I buggered any chance on joining the forest covenant or do I just need a reboot?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Risky posted:

Attack her and go to the first bell with the gargoyles and get absolved of your sins and she'll reset. Answer YES this time.

Start farming the 70k souls you need first though. :(

....wasn't that interested anyway.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Stumpus Maximus posted:

Quick question about the forest covenant. I keep hitting the "no" option when people ask me poo poo because I don't want to leave my current covenant. However, when I said no to the cat, it won't talk to me anymore. Did I lose out on the Forest Covenant for good or does this reset at some point?

I asked the same question earlier. Apparently you can smack her in the face then absolve with that dude in the belltower past the Gargoyles, which will reset her. Do some farming first because it also apparently costs 70K souls!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Eej posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoeFbH8hHc

Here's a guy brute forcing the Four Kings down, starts at the elevator. He pretty much runs straight to the fog door.

Oh god that armour, it's so loving ridiculous!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

WebDO posted:

I love From, I love the Souls games, and I am amazed every time I play either at the little details. While doing some summon assists on the depths boss, I noticed that the curse frog victims are actually the remains of other players.

Nothing like being able to find, and then break your own corpse.

:allears:

Haha, holy poo poo, that's what they were? There were a ton when I was there! Poor bastards....

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

It says you can trade Snuggly for them.
You can only do it once, though. I regret using a single TT on my sword, no matter how good the sword is. :smith:

Isn't that once per playthrough though?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Anywho, I have a recommendation for new players. If you're getting to the Taurus Demon with 1 or 2 flasks at most - slow down. Stay at that bonfire in the middle of the Undead area, and just get used to how the enemies work there. Notice how easily you can separate the group of dudes at the end of the firebombed walkway (one of them starts running at you the second you even set foot on the walkway), figure out how to take how the spear guys consistently (you really need to riposte them, magic them, or spear/shield them right back), etc.

You can also kick them to stagger them, fantastic when they just circle around you doing bugger all. Just pratice kicking first, the timing can be iffy, and a regular attack will leave you wide open. It's also good practice for future block-happy enemies and this-is-sparta moments.

quote:

It's a great region to just get used to how the game controls, and you're right near the merchant, which means you can stock up on bombs, get the repair kit, kit yourself out a bit (the merchant sells a spear and a decent shield, most notably - spear+shield will save you a LOT of grief), etc.

Also, killing shield dudes increases the chance of them dropping one, and it's a great early-game shield.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Christ I wish summon signs wouldn't despawn if you wander off too far. Probably the biggest obstacle to me getting summoned so far is my lack of patience for sitting around on my arse waiting for someone to wander along and summon me. I just get bored and bugger off to find something else to kill.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Woohoo, beat Gaping Dragon! Onwards, to Blighttown!

*20 minutes and 2 falling deaths later*

BLIGHTTOWN! :argh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

I don't think i've ever been to a place in a video game which is quite as horrible as Blight Town.

This. Jesus christ it's a nightmare. It's not even the blowdart dudes or those loving fire dogs, it's just that you have to tip-toe around the whole place or plummet to your doom. I've died 5 times there, only once due to being killed by an enemy (and even that was due to falling into the middle of them) :argh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

I never played Demon's Souls, so I'm new to the series, but Jesus gently caress this game is brutal. I just made it to the first area after the initial dungeon and the skeleton swordsman, especially when they come in loving packs, are destroying me. I'm learning, slowly, and the game is fun and immersive as hell, but dammit if I'm not dying all the loving time. Especially when I picked up a Large Lost Soul, and promptly used it instead of an Estus flask- not only did I not heal, I lost all those damned souls when I died. :sigh: Is there a better class than Knight for a guy who's never played the previous game and is completely new to the series?

You're dying all the time because you're going the wrong way. From the Firelink bonfire, head up the cliff path, enemies there are much easier then those other cocksuckers (plus they don't give souls! All that effort for nothing :smith:).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Xvimic posted:

By the way you might be able to grind armor upgrade shards too. (Actually I'd be surprised if something near a bonfire in the game doesn't drop them fairly regularly). I just haven't checked yet.

It's much easier to do a little farming in Darkwood and buy them off the Parish blacksmith. Even if you don't want to cheese it, the enemies before and after the blacksmith give enough souls to buy up a load of cheap shards.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
BLIGHTTOWN! :argh:

So yea, kinda stuck about where to go in Blighttown. I've killed that weird tentacle thing that was stuck on the sewer outlet and gone through the fog gate below him and....nothing. A ladder leading down to a platform and that's it. Where the hell do I go from here? Is there a ladder I'm missing?

Also, I rescued Griggs from the lower burg some time ago, and according to the wiki he's the sorcery trainer. But he just thanks me for rescuing him and nothing else. Is there any requirement to get him to cough up the goods? I've tried talking to him as both human and hollow.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vatek posted:

You need to go all the way down to the bottom and get through the poison water and mosquito hell to the hill thing with all the spikes sticking out of it. There is a bonfire in a sewer at the bottom between the sets of scaffolding. If you don't have a shitload of poison resist, bring a lot of purple moss clumps and be prepared to get excessively angry. Also, there are tons of items hidden all over the poison lake.

There are ladders all over the wood scaffolding on the outside and you can use the waterwheel as an elevator.

Yea, it was getting down that I had a problem with in the first place, couldn't see any ladders. A quick trip to youtube sorted that out. Onwards, to victory or death (most likely death).

Also, alway check what titanite is needed to upgrade an item before you do it. Just wasted all of my twinkling titanite upgrading the ninja mask because I'm an idiot and thought I was using regular shards :ughh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Good god, 9 failed summons in a row!? No co-op for me I guess! :smith:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Boss, system, level? It's really frustrating when it takes a dozen summons to get a helper.

Wow, another person summoning me for Capra when I'm level 28!

Spider Chick (hosed if I can remember her name), 360, SL31 I think. Thing is, the summon signs are there. They just fail each goddamn time, so I dunno what the gently caress.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

So in the Firelink Shrine, off to the side out of the ground, a giant loving head just appeared. I shot it with some arrows from far away, as you do with anything loving huge in Demon's/Dark Souls, and eventually he just said I wasn't a god or something and left. What the hell was that?

A merchant.

No, seriously.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

what the hell

does he sell anything good

Nope, he's what you sell to.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Phonics posted:

PSA: Buy indictment from the NPC in the Bell Tower and use them if you get invaded so the book of the guilty actually works.

Hahahaha, get invaded. You're such a kidder!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well that sucks. Finally get to invade someone via the forest hunter covenant...and I'm on the loving phone :argh: Got back just in time to see him finish me off :smith:

Also, the dude was wearing the same armour as those stone statue dudes next to the elite knight armour. Is that stuff any good?

Also also, what can't I kill in order to stay in the forest hunters? Sen's Fortress is kicking my arse so I want some seasoning in Darkwood (and a wolf pelt!).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Kaelan Zero posted:

Hardest part of blighttown is the goddamn waterwheel. There goes 40k souls and 10 humanity. :-(

I hate that part. Only death I've had that I considered truely unfair was there, as I was crossing a platform and the geometry just shunted me off the side and to me doom. Plus gently caress those mosquitoes and whoever decided to make them respawn.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

loving hell when can you even begin to fight a black knight? I'm 30 and he's still breaking through all my stamina and half my health each hit and there's nowhere to dodge because it's a small loving tower.

e: And their attacks stop healing from the flask? Seriously? How is that even remotely fair?

Is that the one in the tower? Because I used the drake sword and killed him in 4-5 hits on that staircase, ducking around the corner whenever he took a swing. The third one I fought (Undead Asylum revisited) was harder, since it was a narrow corridor and the drake sword did a lot less damage to him. I wound up backing up, letting him do his routine, then stepping up and sticking him with the winged spear a couple of times. Took a while, but I did it second time (first time some zombies joined in and I got mobbed).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Man I love being invaded in NG+, these guys in their gold hemmed robes with fire swords invading me all the time. Guess they've never ran into the peaceful walk miracle before because every time they try and roll and I just mash them into the ground with my Zweihander of death.

Zweihander: gently caress subtlety.

It's not useful for every encounter, but man it kicks rear end. Or crushes it into a fine paste.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So a cool thing just happened. I was wearing my cat covenant ring and hoping for a summon while dicking about in Sen's Fortress. Lo and behold, I get summoned! Only it's as a white phantom next to Alvina, then I get a message saying that the boss is defeatable and Sif's life bar shows up. So I eventually find the fog gate (haven't attempted Sif yet) and yup, some dude's beating on him. I join in and victory is ours!

I then messaged the guy saying that it was odd that I was auto-summoned. Turned out that he saw my summon sign, a sign I never put down. Anyone else had this? Because it looks like Forest Hunter covenant members get a summon sign placed by Alvina automatically from what this guy is telling me. And that ROCKS! :rock:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Hot drat the lightning spear rocks. *bzzzt crackle bzzzt crackle bzzzt crackle* All dead!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I'm currently SL33, which boss would I get the most success plonking my summon sign on? I'm thinking Gaping, Sif or Quigquig.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The leeches in Blightown Swamp drop Large Titanite, about 2-4 per circuit. They also drop green titanite in bunches of five. Just use the bonfire, run forward till you reach the wall, turn to the left and hug the wall to start the circuit. You'll run into several slugs in no time.

My preference is the slimes next to the Depths bonfire. Run out, kill the zombie, hug the left wall and run to the other end, kill the other zombie, then turn around. The slimes will have all dropped down, then it's just a case of walking up to each one and casting combustion on them. Rinse and repeat. Seems to be a lower drop rate and they only drop single greens, but the turnaround is much faster and you don't have to deal with the swamp and random loving mosquito attacks (seriously, gently caress those things). Plus you can stick your summon sign downstairs in the vain hope someone will summon you for Gaping Dragon (a man can dream can't he? :smith:)

Shalinor posted:

... ok, I'm sorry, I have to say:

What is with all the Capra Demon trouble? I took him down, easily, on my first go. :c00lbert:

I wandered in. Saw he had two dogs. Waited between his swings, one strong drakesword swing - poof, dogs are down. Went back to blocking. Casually circled him, shielding his hits, and then blammo, down he went. I mean... seriously. Most of the minibosses have been waaaaay harder than that dude. Hell, some of the random normal ambushes have been worse.

(that said, I could not manage to get his tail, since he always rotated to face me :( Though not sure if his tail was worth anything)

After the Gargoyles, I was going in expecting the worst, but that was a walk in the park by comparison.

You got lucky with the dogs. If you're unlucky, they'll jump away from your swing and then you're up poo poo creek because they'll harass the poo poo out of you (this is how I died the first time, because they came back, drained my stamina with a flurry of hits, then Cappy squished me). Plus if you're a dodger-type, blocking heavy hits like the Capra's usually spells doom.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 13, 2011

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, kinda wondered. A dodger in there would be screwed, there's just no space. As a blocker, I think I just lucked out, as I'd recently upgraded the Hollow Warrior Shield to +5 (loving fucker fuckery fuckstick Gargoyles - though it felt awesome to finally beat them). Even with that, noticed he was doing a surprising amount of stamina damage on blocks.

The dogs though... eeh. They've got a pretty predictable attack cycle that you can mostly time. I think I could take them out consistently, no sweat. As a dodger, though, fuuuuuck that fight must suck.

The other problem is that the small space means your camera is often hosed. Predictable attack cycle means dick if all you can see is a zoomed-in view of your soon-to-be-kicked arse. I got lucky on my second attempt, which is how I wound up beating him (dogs dodged my attacks and kept dodging, allowing me to get some room and seperate them from boneface, after which it was just a one-on-one which I won), but the first I got backed into a corner and worn down. Plus the dogs are annoying in general, gently caress those things.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Oh yea, that's another thing I wanted to mention. That Chaos Covenant dude sells a book that lets you see all the people in the covenant and their contribution. Some lunatic has dropped 691 humanity on it :psyduck: I dunno what's worse, the sheer amount he's given away or the fact that I will never earn that much to begin with!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Healbot posted:

Pretty sure he exploited the Dragon Breath glitch to get that much.

Heh, is it wrong that I relived that he cheated to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
For the cat covenant ring, do you need to be human for it to activate? Because I've been wearing the damned thing for ages with little joy, despite seeing loads of phantoms in the forest area. Am I just not good enough for Alvina?

• Locked thread