Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

redreader posted:

I got release day for the ico collection last week. They only notified me about a day beforehand and I got it around 4-5 pm on the delivery day.

I don't remember when they usually inform me, but it usually ship late night the day before or early morning. I moved since my last release day shipping, but my roommate pre-ordered Madden and it came for him at like 9 pm... I must live in a last stop portion of my city...

Oh well... at least I have class till 6 pm any way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

I didn't think that was even how the vagrant system worked?

I picked up some random crap item that was sitting around in my world as well... Thinking about maybe dropping a ton of broken swords all over some world. I'm already a sinner so what's the problem gonna be?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

So just read about the whole pyromancy not being affected by INT thing... And well... luckly for me I had not started building up my int yet. Do you guys have any suggestions about what might be good to build up to go along with a pryo build? I am planning on throwing a lot of fire, and up until not have just been buffing up endurance and vitality. Should I just make my character main some other stat like strength or dex?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

That one-legged, vagina-mouthed demon that's right out the doorway in the area of the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Anything special about him? I know other things have deals where you can get an item if you attack the tail. He's just so easy to plink away at with arrows, but only the front, so I'm wondering if I try to get in close where he's actually hard to fight will I get a special item from cutting off his tail.

I killed that guy and didn't get anything from his tail. The safest place to try to hit him with a sword was back there anyway, so I figure if you could chop it off I would have. I could be wrong though.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

kater posted:

Any advice for Havel? I can't seem to dodge his 1hit KO. Should I just strip down to my unskin? Also is the parish bridge a faster campfire to gy zerg him? I'm sick of running through main uberg.
Pretty sure I just lured him to the top of the stairs and kept kicking him off. I could not do much damage but falling hurt him a lot. This also limits the amount of attack he can launch at you. I blocked most of his stuff with a shield, but there is one swing that would always break through. I just tried to jump out of the way whenever he started swinging. Then when he finished I ran up and kicked him.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Going to ask this again because this thread moves fast, I wanted to know, do I have to join the Way of the White to be able to learn/perform the healing miracle? I want to get it but do not want to join that covenant. Thanks

I think you have to join it, but I am not that far. Also if you meet the guy with the book of the Guilty he allows you to leave covenants. I took that option to leave the way of the white and then checked with him again to see if I was now labeled a sinner. I wasn't, so this might be a way to leave covenants without being punished.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Dang, what I'm worried about now is that I'm level 27, and it's going to cost a lot now.

Speaking of sins... do they do anything other than let book of the guilty people invade you? I know that you can't rejoin some communions until you pay for your sins after breaking them, but what else does it do. Also I accidently attacked a merchant... If I pay for my sins will they sell me things again?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

doesn't it de-aggro hostile npcs?

It does, I just did it and now I can buy things from that merchant I hit with my sword! She should not have snuck up on me.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Brian Fellows posted:

I loving hate the Capra demon. I got buy it once and murdered the dogs; he would've been easy but I foolishly tried to heal when I had a sliver of life (he didn't have much left either) and he murdered me. If I could dodge that first loving attack it'd be fine but I can't. I always end up running into him or one of the dogs and can't escape.

Do people help enough on that battle that it'd be worth using a humanity item to come back and get a helper? I don't want to waste one if no one would be there to help, since there's a 95% chance I'm screwed before I get a chance to do anything. I'm level 20 if that makes it any more likely that a helper would be there.

Summons some phantoms and when you enter just hide in the corner to the right until the phantoms enter. If you can survive until they do you should be able to win as they will distract people, meaning you won't be ganged up on as much right away. Once the dogs are dead its easy.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Vargs posted:

I get this impression too, and it bothered me to much that I ditched my 39 dex character that had already gotten the Lordvessel to remake it with 15 dex and a lot more vitality/endurance/resistance. The new character is much more powerful than the old one.

I really don't see any good reason to boost strength or dex, and I hope someone can prove me wrong because I'd to be able to justify a high strength character than can use all those cool 50 str shields.

Also I know that upgraded pyro flames scale with int, but is that just for their punching damage? My pyro flame only scales at a d ranking but I put another level in INT and did not see my damage output go up by even 1 point...

If this is the case I am just going to put all my points into vit, endurance, attunment and resistance because with pyro and lightning weapons there's almost no point in doing anything else. With my build that is.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Stele007 posted:

The fog ring completely breaks PvP. Most magic is completely worthless against someone using it since you can't target them. Everyone that invades me uses it. Do you HAVE to be a member of the Forest Hunter covenant to get it? It seems like I'll have to join it just so I don't get hosed over.

Pretty sure its just the forest hunter thing. That ring is kinda stupid even when you are using it. Its hard to hit people when they are not able to target you and thus move in really odd ways... That and its pretty much PVP only as the regular enemies can still target you.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Do you get anything from Forest Hunters after the Fog Ring? I am a Forest Hunter +1 and it sounds like there should at least be some more text. For instance: Why does Alvine tell me not to trust the leader of the forest hunters and his Ninja friend? Also I had heard that at some point she will tell me she hates Silf and that I should kill him? Does this happen after the second bell (I just rang it but haven't been back to the Cat since?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Feel free to kill the treants. I have been toasting them with combustion and I am still a Forest Hunter.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Im 33 in Blight town which seems pretty normal? I have had this problem at every boss. I just cannot get summoned it's so frustrating.

Hmm.. I was doing that earlier today and had to problem getting summoned/summoning. I helped two people finish it and then brought a person in to help me. I think I failed 1 summon, but that was it. The only time I have had problems with it was like the first day.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

I finally got cursed, at SL68. Guess it's off to New Londo! :shepface:

Also, I tried to see the advanced pyromancy teacher. He/She is not there. I see a bunch of soul signs of "master" and "pyromancy ahead" around this one spot near where the boulderthrowers are but it's empty.

If she left, what would her other location be? I also can't find the basic pyromancy guy anywhere in firelink.

There is one that shows up in blighttown but I don't know what the requirements for seeing them are. I went there today and they were not there. But then I upgraded my hand from +9 to like +12 and they showed up. On that note is Firewhip any good?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

LorentzViolator posted:

Does the Robin Hood costume visible in some preview pictures actually exist in the game?

Yep. There is a hard to find Forest Hunter that shoots you with a bow and runs away. If you kill him he drops the stuff.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

NoneSuch posted:

The covenent system is dumb and doesn't work, and half the things just don't do what they say.

I think this might have something to do with the Namco translation...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Houdini posted:

I trawled through the basement into the sewer, hoping to kill off all of the curse frogs. Is the butcher in the basement supposed to respawn because I killed him twice but then he disappeared after that. Good riddance anyway.

Had a load of fun killing stuff in the sewer including the generic invader, who caught me fighting a *giant* giant rat. I got up to 10,000 souls and must've spent about half an hour alive WHICH FELT AMAZING. I opened the shortcut and saved for the night, but now I'm so excited about venturing on rather than thinking I'm going to be grinding out souls to upgrade my armour or something.

Also saved the pyromancer and upgraded my fire fist to level 6 or so. Awesome.

He does not respawn, there are just 2 of them.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Slacker Ace posted:

I don't know why you're getting upset about it in Demon's/Dark Souls when there a lot of other RPG's out there that punish you equally (sometimes even moreso) for attacking NPC's. Hell in any Bethesda game the whole town lynches you if you so much as punch a shopkeeper. It's not really the game's fault if you are spamming the item button directly in front of an NPC and didn't know it automatically switched to the next one or that the PS3's R2 triggers tend to press itself when resting on a surface.

And here's a tip if you don't know if someone is a merchant or a monster. If you can't lock-on to it, then it's most likely friendly.

There is a major difference from Bethesda games and Dark souls though... what you do in Dark Souls Sticks. In Bethesda games the town lynches you, but you can reload a save where you never punched the guy, and you can't in Dark Souls. That said I have no problem with the system. I just set my controller down carefully.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Alright, it's been two hours, I give up. What's the gimmick to actually hurting Smough?

My pyromancer does like 500 per hit with my fire.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

At 29 I feel like I'm underlevelled for S+O, at what level do people usually do this? I'm getting murdered within 5 seconds, I can't even get Iron Flesh off - and then I get 2 shot.

I was 57, but then again I beat it on my first try (I am a pyromancer... my fire does like 500 damage to them a pop)... Just get up to a high enough level where you can summon a couple people to help. If you die right away get some more vitality or up your endurance so you can block them. Once you do that its just learning their patterns, which can be done by putting down your soul sign and helping other people.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

Argh just got to O+S, SL46. Feels impossible. Where do people usually put their summon signs for them, right outside the fog door?

I lot of people put down soul signs on the beginning of the bridge as I recall.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Kild posted:

You appreciate going past several rats everytime you die in the parish?

Well... with a little experience you should not be dieing much in the parish. On my second character I got killed like twice in the parish because I did stupid things.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I could almost forgive her, if only for the free twinkling titanite she provides, but it's not enough. Luckily, most people I PvP don't seem to use the Ring of Fog, but when they do it just makes the entire fight pointless since there's no way to even manually lock your character in one direction. You're just completely at their mercy.

A lot of people will let you bait them though. Its only really a problem when the combine it with armor with a stupidly high poise so if you hit them they just hit you anyway. Also pyromancy kicks their rear end.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Pierson posted:

Can someone confirm or deny you can only be invaded if the boss of the area you are in hasn't been killed? I just invaded a guy wearing full Pyro gear and buffed to hell and back and he destroyed me in milliseconds since I was in lowbie gear. That would be pretty shocking if he found a way to get that stuff without killing the Taurus dude.

The wages of sin is death. :(

You can actually bypass the taurus demon if you take the master key. If you are good enough you can low level most areas. The guy could have worked all the way to the second bell first, upgraded his hand and then come back later.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Volitaire posted:

So Shiva doesn't look like a ghost if you invade with the ring? I never invade in the forest so I don't know.

They should have at least realized they could lock on.

Shiva will only be there when you invade if the player had been in the forest hunters and betrayed them. The reason he would not appear as a ghost like other NPCs is at that point he will attack players on sight. He still appeared in my game after I betrayed the Forest Hunters even though I was no longer one of them.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

bat duck posted:

Killed capra and gaping, went back to firelink and saw Rhea and her party there but didnt get close so theyd attack, went to tomb, found Rhea. And now she wont loving talk to me...

Guess you need to spend a bunch of money...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

That, or it's just incredibly likely it doesn't work as its intended.

Honestly, if there was some feedback when you use the Eye of Death, like the game actually telling you which player you're infecting, or in my actual fantasy land, producing a picture-in-picture display of the currently infected player trying to get through their game in your game, people would probably use it more.

The one time I got a message that my world was infected by a grave lord I looked around and did not notice a single thing different...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Oh dear god the masks are hideous :stonk:

I haven't killed the brass lady and I don't plan to soon. She's nice, and I don't like killing the nice NPCs.

I don't know what you are talking about, I used the Mask of the Mother for like half the game and my character looked awesome. Let me remind you that 90% of how I choose my armor was my the looks of it.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Spiffo posted:

When did he recommend it before? Could the feature it's about have been cut? Or maybe it's just really hidden...? If it's the latter there's no reason to recommend it though.

No, because in a recent interview he still said he liked it and would not say why...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Two weird multiplayer events just happened:

I got summoned as a white phantom. Immediately afterwards a black phantom appeared and slaughtered me, while the person who summoned me watched. Afterwards they bowed to each other. I think I was had.

A black phantom kept loving up my attempts to get out of the painted world. On the fourth attempt, that player showed up as a white phantom and I recruited him, who helped me slaughter everything.

I'm still searching for a way to bring my faith character up to the same level of damage dealing as my other two characters though...

A weirder thing happened to me. I threw down my white souls sign in the forest, and then a little bit later up popped on my screen: "Invading as spirit of vengeance." I proceeded to invade some players game, but immediately got disconnected from them upon entering their world. To make it even weirder I am in the Darkwraiths, not the Blade of the Darkmoon...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

"Cheesing"? Really? Parrying a boss with a seventh of a second window is "Cheesier" then circle-strafing backwards with your shield up for ten minutes? :psyduck:

What... what do you define as skill in this game if that's what you consider "cheesing"?

Cheesing is throwing fireballs and killing him in like 10 seconds like I did my first time though...

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

MZ posted:

Just started a new character to take a break from my main one, it's amazing how much easier the game is when you know what you're doing, I made it to the undead parish bonfire without getting killed at all on a Level 1 Pyromancer.

When I first played Dark Souls with the same character, I got killed about a dozen times by that point.

What takes hours the first time can be accomplished is 45 minutes on the second run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Also on new game plus I should only take you a few hours (less if you hurry) to make it back to that covenant again.

• Locked thread