Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Can anybody explain "scaling" in regards to weapons? I've been reading through the thread and there's talk about how swords like the Drake Sword don't "scale", and neither do fire and lightning (?) weapons? What exactly does scaling mean, and how does it affect me in this game?

I'd like to know before I do any upgrades above regular +5, because I don't want to waste any of the harder-to-get minerals.

I don't usually play a lot of RPGs, is why I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
^ fuuuck

Cool, the scaling params make more sense now guys thanks.

Does anyone know what weapon paths I should take for STR or DEX?

edit: Ok, maybe it seems like I should just upgrade my poo poo to lightning. It seems to be working well for everyone..

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
I wonder if the Darkroot Garden farming technique was something From knew about when they released it. I just seems like everything about it is intentional: the bonfire position, the ledge that just happens to be the correct length for having mobs fall off.. I mean, the mobs won't even chase you down the ledge (they HAVE to go up the stairs) even if you lead them there with an arm's reach away from you.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I think it's safe to put ":siren:Unless you're dicking around don't put over 18 points into strength or dex because they become totally worthless mid-late game:siren:" in the OP.

Can anybody else comment on this? Your STR and DEX don't factor in at all for elemental weapons and stuff? I just wanna know if I should bother investing any more into those two stats.

(Man, I think about this game more than I actually play it, I think...)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Not too far into the game, but wanted to say as someone who did not beat Demon's Souls and lost interest halfway through, this game is fuuuuuun.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
YEEEAAAH Just beat the poo poo out of Quelaag with a two-handed Black Knight Sword, with > 50% roll! I didn't even know I was over >50% because I forgot that I took of Havel's Ring, so totally feeling like a boss now knowing that I gimped myself on that fight for no reason

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Can everyone share on how they beat (right after 2nd bell spoilers) Ceaseless Discharge?

I just did it by hugging the right wall, right where you picked up the armor to start the fight. If you stay there, it will only do the easily blockable tentacle attack and won't do the bullshit swipes or fire attacks. Thanks, random person on the internet who pointed that out!

All the videos I've seen just involve hiding in that alternate path and baiting the boss to get its tentacle stuck.

Did anybody beat this thing just by mad skills alone out in the open? Is it even possible that way?

Trico fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 11, 2011

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Man, I haven't gotten a liquid humanity in... the last 15 hours of gameplay, at least. Not even the bosses are dropping them. Blighttown boss, Demon Ruins boss, Depths boss, I never get any humanity from them, or random mobs.

What's up wit dat?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Xvimic posted:

I don't know, it seems random for me too. Rats seem to drop a shitload of them though, might want to try them if you are desperate. Not sure if the FROM guys are attempting some subtle commentary on the human race at large with the increased drop rate for rats of "humanity".

Yeah, I've always wondered why the hell rats, out of all monsters, would be the ones to drop humanity.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
So playing through this game and reading up on it on threads like these, I realize the reason I sucked at Demon's Souls and did not finish it is because I really had no grasp of the game mechanics at all. I played Demon's Souls as if it was Ninja Gaiden or something and that's why I had such a rough time playing it.

This time around, I really get the stamina management, the importance of when to be underencumbered for a fast roll, and when to suit the gently caress up and utilize stamina to take hits instead of trying to dodge stuff.

So yeah, basically, I understand a lot more of the underlying mechanics and gameplay and I'm having way more fun than I did with Demon's Souls.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Scaling aside, which type of weapon does the most base damage? (Lightning? Normal +15? etc.)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Bland posted:

Am I right in guessing that what happened here was he invaded you when you had a white phantom, got beat, challenged you to a 1v1 then checked your achievments to see that you hadn't finished Mass Effect 2 and spoiled part of it as petty revenge when you didn't accept his little challenge? Because that is a pretty pathetic guy if so

Hahaha that's awesome

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Gaah, game just froze for the first time. I could still open up XMB though. Anyone have problems with this as well? I've heard it's not uncommon. For me, that was the first in almost 30 hours of gameplay.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Please someone tell me how to backstab reliably. Lock on, approach from behind, when behind attack? Then why the gently caress do I either do a normal slash or he turns arund just as I am about to attack.

I swear, I've only managed to get a proper backstab twice - once when I managed to roll behind a Undead spearman and instead of slashing I backstabbed him and the second time was after I had lured the Boar into the fire it got kinda stuck near the pillars and I jabbed him straight in the rear end.

Backstabs are initiated when you are in the correct zone.. Just keep practicing on trash mobs to find what that sweet spot is, and you'll be able to pull them off more frequently.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Jadz posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to actually kill anything in that grove behind the crest door? First time I walked in, I got mobbed and hacked to pieces by like three mostly-invisible dudes. Do I stand a chance against them if I go slow and lure 'em one at a time, or should I just not bother with that for now?

Anyway, loving this game every bit as much as I loved Demon's Souls :3:

Fight? Pfft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6IKCG1U8U

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Willfrey posted:

Is that found in Blighttown? I've been avoiding that place like the ... plague. I went down there, killed some fatties, then got hit by some toxic thing, and ran all the way back up to the depths like a little bitch (had a fair amount of humanity/souls on me)

On the other hand I keep hearing about all the sweet gear that is down there...

Any rings/gear I should scoop up before heading down?

Is it better to access blighttown from the valley of the drakes or to go through the depths?

You find the lightning spear in the area that opens up after you ring the two bells.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Did any particular stat affect backstab chance in Demon's Souls?

What about this game?

I've pulled off infinitely more backstabs in Dark Souls than I ever did in Demon's Souls.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

Ramagamma posted:

This game was never intended for people with a mortgage, a girlfriend or children.

Yeah, holy poo poo. I'm glad I'm playing this while I'm in college because if I had responsibilities there's no way I could do this. I can barely do this and do any actual studying.

edit:

why does this game have so many one star reviews on Amazon in Japan?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B0058FWBSQ/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I thought this was well-received there?? Anybody who knows Japanese can shed some insight? I know how Japanese fandom can go batshit crazy over the smallest things.. I wonder what it is in this game

Google translate for one review

quote:

Demons were two laps
This is a big struggle

Since assuming the difficulty of this cooperative play?
Close to the trough and fraud Nantes almost unmatched for sale online but

Boss fired two high-Toka simultaneous placement as well as a small fish ... absolutely not hanging from'm eventually divide and rule

The hardness of the enemy placement is unreasonable as you pointed out, labor movement, with a limited number of magic, bugs, bad maps of the scaffold collapse items ... too many situations where the balance suspended

But wanted to force myself on the situation and wanted to help ... if such hardships
Sorry

Hahahaha are people downrating because it's too hard?? did i step into some bizarre universe where Japanese people don't like monster hunter??

Trico fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 13, 2011

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
After getting destroyed by (Anor Londo boss) Smough's transformed form for the billionth time, I took it really really really slow and ran away if it even remotely looked like he was going to do the butt-stomp. So after getting tired of circling him and poking him once every 2 minutes, I ran off, equipped Crystal Ring Shield and finished the fucker in two shots. That thing is re-donk-ulous

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
What's the hat someone mentioned that makes Tomb of the Giants easier by giving off light? Where do I get that?

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I invaded a guy using some shield that shot air waves or something at me? whatever it was, it killed me in a single hit.

Was it the Crystal Ring Shield? That thing's damage is based on something like 1.5 times your right hand weapon, so if you have some powerful gently caress-off weapon equipped the shield's L2 does even MORE damage.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
TOMB OF GIANTS IS NOT A FUN LEVEL.

gently caress this stupid loving poo poo. rageragerage

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
That's it. I'm loving done. I'm at the bonfire before Nito and I'm warping the gently caress out of here. Gonna do some other area. gently caress THIS LEVEL. Holy poo poo every single loving enemy is bullshit. Anor Londo was a loving breeze, and now this loving poo poo??! gently caress THIS STUPID poo poo How is this level POSSIBLE?!

Trick loving question IT'S NOT

edit: who the gently caress made the decision to start the boss fight with half your loving health gone every single thing about this level is terrible. NO REDEEMING VALUE to this stupid goddamn level and i'm getting angry just typing about it

Trico fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
So just a note to people still playing the first five hours of the game: The game does not ever let up in difficulty. At all. In fact, it finds more ways to be even more frustrating. Even when you start to feel the slightest inkling of confidence in your own abilities, this game takes your cockiness and manages to shove it back down your throat a trillion times over.

Whether or not this is a good thing is totally up to the individual person playing the game.

edit: Don't play this game sleep-deprived. it leads to so much mental frustration

Trico fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2011

• Locked thread