Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I have to ask has anyone tried to kill the first boss with the broken sword? I was so close, and it was quite depressing when I died because of dumb stuff that I did.

Is the weapon really worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I know classes don't really mean much in the game, but what do people feel is the best to start out as? I personally like the Bandit. Having an axe right away is always a nice plus.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Hey, I have a question, with the tutorial demon down all. I have to ask do all bosses have a special condition in order to beat them and get a special item? Right now I'm on the Taurus boss.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Currently I'm at Gaping Dragon and if I go in with some of the NPC helpers will they die if I fail to kill the boss in time? Or will it work like summoning a human

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's like summoning a human. They can come back for repeat attempts, although I'm not sure if THEY die during the fight you can use them again. I believe so though!

Well that's good. So far I've gotten all the Boss' weapons and I hope they'll be enough of a distraction to do the same here.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I'm going down into blight town and these scaffoldings are so annoying with the fat boys. Any one has nay advice on them? Maybe even a weakness?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

MoaM posted:

1. They don't have any sort of quick-attack; keep your shield up, stay real close to them, circle and back stab.

2. With low Endurance/At a low Soul Level don't block their overhead-'charge-up' smashes. If you can't shield tank one of their horizontal swipes I'd say you're better off trying Darkroot Garden or simply upgrading your shield a bit.

3. Don't fight two of them at a time if it's your first time down there.

Alright sounds good. I've already ventured into Darkroot (I probably had the green shield before I should have as well as the Black Knight Halberd too). I saw some pearl white doors and was a bit intimidated to go into there. Comparatively which one do you think is easier.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I feel like this game is way longer than Demon Souls, the scope is also much bigger/better. I'm so glad they ditched the Nexus too, even if it makes part of the game artificially longer as you're running around everywhere.

I sort of liked the Nexus, though now without it I feel like I actually make progress in the game. In Demon Souls I can't say I ever felt like I was getting anywhere.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I actually found a way to exploit the fat guys at least when you're going from the depths down to blighttown. If you run back up the ladder they can't climb and more often then not fall to their death.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I have two questions one quick the other not so much.

1) Snuggly the bird can I get more then one Twinkling Titanite from the purple mosses or is it just one and done sort of motif.

2) I have a Pyromancer, got it's stats up enough for the Drake Sword. The question is now should I try for more magic build or do I go for a Vit, End build? What's best in a Pyromancer's life?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Zain posted:

I have two questions one quick the other not so much.

1) Snuggly the bird can I get more then one Twinkling Titanite from the purple mosses or is it just one and done sort of motif.

2) I have a Pyromancer, got it's stats up enough for the Drake Sword. The question is now should I try for more magic build or do I go for a Vit, End build? What's best in a Pyromancer's life?

I think this might have gotten passed up so I'll post it one more time

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So who is doing an almost pure magic build? I'm interested in seeing how much it's nerfed from Demon Souls. Always hear Pyromancy sucks and so should only be made into fighters.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm having this hard time deciding. Pyromancer's spells aren't effected by the int stat is it? I'm trying to figure out some good casting builds. And I have 4 levels atm to put wherever I like. How many attunement slots should I try to go for?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I lost my stock of humanities from the ether in the most bullshit way. (I lost my body prior so they're sitting there waiting for me to pick them back up)

So I was blocking and I hit attack nothing happened, so I put my shield up to block an attack and at that moment my character decided to swing! Has this happened to anyone else?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Holy crap combustion is an amazing spell. Fast good damage, and a hell load of charges. I wish I started out with that spell.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Is the spell power within worth it in the long run? Should I take up one of my 4 attunement slots for it? Also I can't find that Pyromancer in the Swamp. I haven't beaten blighttown's boss, but I have my flame up to level 10 as well as the old witch's ring. Unless it's that spider lady afterwords?

Zain fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 15, 2011

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Found the Pyromancy trainer in blightown, and I have to say flame whip is awesome! I'm tempted to replace combustion with it, though it takes a while to finish casting.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Merauder posted:

All of these things are gross exaggerations. As far as the actual gameplay related points, people in this thread have posted about soloing Capra as a caster, and the snipers are easy to pick off from below with a bow. If you're dying a lot, try something else, don't just keep running in like an idiot only to just keep dying.

e: But regardless, it is definitely a different audience from fighting games.

I think I took Capra on when my pyromancer was only level 13. It's been a while, but yeah most of his attacks are easily dodge-able. Didn't even use magic on him to be honest.

invalid posted:

So when people say that the guys in Blighttown that shoot toxic darts remain dead, they mean they stay dead even if you hit a bonfire?

Thankfully yes they do.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I need Humanities from the Chaos Covenant, and everyone is saying so I should do PVP because that's the quickest and fastest way, but I have some apprehensions on this.

I never PVP'd before and what's the downfall to losing?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I didn't even know where the rating item was for my first few hours of gameplay. They made large parts of multiplayer less accessible for no good reason.

Well I know I was trying to write/rate for the longest time, but I noticed right away when the merchant was selling the item. It's kind of makes sense why we'd need an item, but yeah it would have been nice to have it in the cell. Since your rotting away and all be like the thing you're doing to pass time.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Yeah it's weird in Demon Souls I never really felt like I made any progress (Though I never did beat it) but here even the going from bonfire to bonfire I feel like I do a lot. Even in death it's like "Well that's enough progress for today"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's so great when the summoner dies like right away to Quelaag. Especially since I'm tanking all of her attacks. I'm doing this to help out of the goodness of my heart (And to get some quick souls though that part is debatable at this point) but it's just disheartening when people just instant die to these bosses.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Hey man you get hit by the big lava barf and you're DONE

Well-done, at that.

It's actually death due to her screams. Which is kinda hard to see her doing from behind but yeah...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Can the Pyromancy glove be upgraded past 15?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

KezzKezzan posted:

Yep! There's an NPC that will upgrade it again, into a Strong Pyromancy Flame and that can then be upgraded to +5. All in all, it's got 21 levels of power.

Is that the Pyromancy Trainer in the swamp then?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Well what's a quick way to grind out 25k souls? I want to get it maxed out. Yeah I don't remember who but saying magic was useless in this game was a complete lie. Power Within + anything pretty much kills a boss in under 10 seconds. Unless it's Sif because he just doesn't want to stand still enough even for a combustion.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What's with the game and making me kill/feel sorry for things I shouldn't? I know it's my choice and all, but Crossbreed Precilla's stuff is really good though I didn't get to cut off the tail.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got to kill someone! He tried using the fog ring but unfortunately for him I know how to manually block. :smug:

Don't you have to manually block anyway? But that's awesome I completely rocked someone with a single Chaos fire. I felt kind of bad since someone else was tagging along with him. I think maybe they were friends? *This was WAY early in the depths mind you

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

One thing that annoys me is that the cracked red eye orbs if you fail to join you lose out on an orb.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I keep hearing conflicting things about Humanity farming. That it's best off the rats in the depths or that it's best in Duke's... I haven't gotten to duke yet, but the rats even with the ring are holding tightly onto those humanities and not letting them go.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What exactly is the *Adjustments to the player matching conditions? that seems really vague

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It literally just says "adjustments to matching conditions". There is no hidden meaning or anything in the Japanese.

Well yeah does that mean better chance for invasions and joining? More people will see a sign? Just want to know these things is all.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

sentrygun posted:

It feels weird hearing so many of you guys talk about how hard Queelag was. I ran straight sword and board against her and the worst problem I had was stepping backwards into standing lava like a dope, or having to wait for her to stop sitting around in lava and actually come attack me.

Strafing right up against her and to the right let me avoid nearly every single swing she had in close range and I just wailed on her between those.

It's just a lot of the time she'll just be a complete pain in the rear end and not give you any opportunity to attack. Luckily for me since people have so much of an issue with her it makes farming for Souls and Humanity easy

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

That's something I saw when I was summoned freaking 3 of those in a row.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

CrunchyTaco posted:

Thoughts on the catacombs: Wheel skeletons, eh?

They're kind of annoying especially if you "Think" you roll out of the way.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Been doing the O&S fight and it's kind of a pain in the rear end. I've been trying to kill the fatty, but I keep getting side swiped. MIght just Power Within Iron Skin this fight at this rate.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Vatek posted:

Kill Orstein first unless you really enjoy being randomly oneshotted and having to do the entire fight over again.

Well how "good" is his armor? Is it worth the trouble?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

^^: Wait, you get the armor of the first one you kill? I thought it was the armor of the second one you kill.
edit: or is that what you're saying

Yeah they say if you kill Ornstein last you get his armor.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Iron Flesh tanks your lightning resist into the shitter and Ornstein does heavy lightning damage.

Ah didn't know that. Thank you

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I am so loving sick of running back to O&S's room to fight them and die from some lame attack. It is *get hit by O and when you get up S will finish you off with an attack that will take away 3/4 of your health.

Zain fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I FINALLY killed O&S and it was all sorts of a pain in the rear end. Though now it seems my warps aren't that far. It's only 4 places, I was kind of expecting more.

Anyway where should I go from here? How much of a pain in the rear end is New Londo Ruins?

• Locked thread