Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Got DS in early December and I'm hooked good. Got through Nito and then decided I didn't like my build that much (STR/FTH) and decided to do some sequence breaking and get some good stuff. Started as a Wanderer intending to to a low level fastrolling build. Build is here, I do have all the equipment but the upgrades are my planned end weapons, not what they are currently (though I also intend to keep some not very upgraded stuff around for reasons stated further down). I skipped the Taurus demon to keep the Burg open for pvp if I want. (feel free to tell me stuff I should do/messed up on if you have advice! still fairly new to the game compared to some)

The reason I did low level was because I really like the co-op in this game and really appreciated the phantoms who helped me and want to help out new low lvl players like others did for me. I also read a neat post a few days back where someone was talking about invading newbies, but acting like a level miniboss instead of just killing them immediately. For example I'll hang out in the middle level of the tower you climb to get to the Taurus demon and wait for the player; if they seem like they're actually new to the game and not on NG+ I'll drop an item for them before we fight (usually a high STR weapon since I'll never be able to use them), and I use leveled up armor but not crazy strong weapons so they have a chance. I'm on PS3 and there seem to be a lot of really new players running around, people who don't know where the items in the levels are, etc. I also like being there with some higher level stuff to help out when the new players get invaded by lvl 1s with endgame gear just to OHKO them, so I'm working on getting my weapons leveled up too. For now I'm just hanging out sunbro-ing the gargoyles, taurus demon, capra, and gaping dragon.

This is all to say that my low level is giving some trouble in a couple spots, soI have a couple things I could use some help on. Does anybody who has a low-SL character feel like helping me out with the 4 kings? Beatrice doesn't help at ALL ime and being lvl 12 or so I don't see any online summon signs normally.

Also, I cannot loving cut off Priscilla's tail. I have tried like 6 times, when she's almost dead I throw myself off a cliff (I really want that dagger to help bleed out twinks in the burg). Where is the sweet spot? I know you can cut it off with pyromancy, but I have a +2 ascended pyro flame and I can't get it off even when she's just standing there and not aggro'd yet. So if anybody wants to help a low level guy cut her tail anytime I'd be grateful :shobon:

e: also, I like the DWGR a lot, but I can't decide if it would be better to have the free poise of the wolf ring when a black phantom invades (a lot of the invaders just spam ascended pyro great combustions and it staggers me a ton). Should I switch when phantoms show up, or do I just need to ~git gud~ at timing my ninja flips? I just find it hard with lag/latency.

e2: if anyones wondering why INT is at 14 its because hiding as a barrel when someone invades you is hysterical :colbert: and I didn't need the points elsewhere since my weapons are elemental anyway

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I have a SL8 guy that can help on 4k. PSN is MosquitoJones, send me an invite and I can pop over to help.

alright thanks! will do that when I get home. Let me know what time of day is good for you, i'm in central time and usually can get some time in from 9 pm-1 am. Can schedule other times though esp. on the weekends

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Even if you don't go with a magic build you can pick up a pyro glove later on and light poo poo on fire, so those points aren't wasted. Having a fire spell (or two) is a great idea if you aren't going with a rigid build because even the basic pyro spell is pretty useful.

e: Ask DQoA how useful :haw:

Haha yeah, even the basic fireball and combustion spells will wreck the early enemies. Even if you don't go pyro you can get the flame in like 20 min of playtime if you take the master key and do a little (pretty easy) sequence breaking. I don't even level much for a while except to meet requirements for weapon of choice, just upgrade the flame and your weapon and you will be fine for a long time :)

Then get power within and take down bosses like little bitches :black101:

There's no downside at all to learning some pyromancy since it doesn't scale with any stats. Nearly every build can benefit from it.

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 9, 2015

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Not sure if you're still stuck on the 4K, but here's how to easy mode it:

Put on Havel's armour set. Don't worry if it makes you fat-roll because you won't need to do any dodging.
Step 2 is equip the Grass Crest shield for the stamina regen, and then 2-hand the most damaging weapon you have.

So here's the big strategy: run up and swing for the fences. Estus as needed. If you have Pyromancy, use it, since the 4K are allergic to fire. When one of the Kings starts to do the death animation, keep attacking. Life will still come off the meter. The key is to kill them fast enough where you'll have time to heal and do poses before the next King appears.
Don't bother summoning Beatrice because the damage she does doesn't make up for the HP boost that the 4K get.

SubponticatePoster actually came in and killed em for me! Thanks again dude :)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

It was Good Times. Also I'm an old woman (I just sound like a 14 year-old boy on voicechat)! :corsair:

:ohdear: my bad! Lemme amend that to say "thanks dudette!"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

casual poster posted:

Trying to get summons or be summoned on the PS3 is a nightmare. You can never count on anything. (I haven't played in the past 6 months but I doubt things have changed)

I might have said this (maybe in the other thread) but I'm on PS3 and have dark souls 1 characters at varying levels and can help if anyone wants! Pm me for my psn name or post here

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Does anyone else have the problem where they get riiiiiiight to the end of the game, think about the stuff that they need to do before beating Gwyn, and then just... start another build? I've got dex, MLGS, pure str two hand, low level pvp, and str/fth builds all at various points in NG and no "completed" files on my game right now. I might have to make a dual bonewheel build just cause the level requirements will force me into NG+ :shobon:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Alternatively I could just do this to gently caress around in the parish (invasions and helping out): xanthous invasion build http://mmdks.com/6xsg

I know it's not some revolutionary idea but I've only had the game 2 months okay :colbert:

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 21, 2015

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HaB posted:

That link isn't working for me.

fixed it!

Also something that's been bugging me: am I dumb and/or a wimp for using my pyro flame in my right hand so I can still block before after things like great combustion? I always see people using it in their left and keeping their weapons out. thoughts?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HaB posted:

That actually looks pretty fun.

The Best Class Finder indicates you can do that starting a Sorc and be SL 12 with the same stats, which leaves you 3 points to do....something with.

I'd have to ponder it. Maybe just Vit for a tad more health.

If you start sorcerer though, you have a bunch of INT you don't need, and you end up with really low VIT and END. You'd have to put 5 more levels to get VIT/END back to where they were with the pyro. If you put all the extra levels up to 15 with the sorcerer into VIT, you end up with 11 VIT and 8 END, whereas without upgrading at all with the pyro you get 10 VIT/11 END. Three points isn't much in either stat but I'd rather trade 1 level of health for 3 more of stamina, since I'm not going to use intelligence anyway, and the build has to quickroll or block with dark hand. OTOH with the sorcerer you can get two pyro flames and double fist them like a boss just for kicks

edit: or if you're willing to go to SL 16 you could pump attunement and get another pyromancy

edit2: okay last thing, I didn't think this one out as much and you could probably tweak it a bit, but here's a SL 60 version if you get bored of griefing in the parish/burg. its the right level to invade the Painted World which is perfect for the build, and keeping a chaos weapon lets you put everything into VIT/END- that way you can wear RoFaP instead of Havel's, and get kind of a ridiculous amount of health for SL60, with plenty of stamina and under 25% equip (so you can DWGR if you really want to be a dick :) ) http://mmdks.com/6xt5

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 21, 2015

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
My PS3 is really crapping out on me :( nearly every time I load a file, this happens:

And the game hangs on about 50% of load screens. Should I take my PS3 apart and try to clean the laser?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HaB posted:

Here's my nearly foolproof plan for the Hydra:

- use a bow to lure the Crystal Golems one at a time and kill them. The bow doesn't even have to do any damage at that range. Any hit is enough to aggro them
- with the golems out of the way, standing at the lowest point of the valley, facing the Hydra
- turn right and walk up the hill towards the Tower until you are close to the cliff wall on the right
- turn back to facing the Hydra, and you will see a large fallen log about halfway from you to the Hydra, off to the left - that is your target
- aiming for that log, start sprinting (you are fastrolling aren't you?)
- the Hydra will spit, and the projectiles will get near you just before you reach that log, break to your left before you reach the log, and head down into the valley (projectiles will miss)
- turn back towards Sally Manyheads and keep sprinting straight ahead. Aim a little to the right, in front of the lone tree that's down there.
- the second Spit will go over your head, and now you're where you need to be to fight (in the water).
- be careful of the cliff edge - it's hard to see
- when the Hydra roars, put up your shield. At the start of the fight, assuming you are far enough into the water, only one head will come straight at you.
- Block, then quickly 2-hand your weapon, sprint to a head and swing for the fences.
- Rinse, repeat.

Other tips:

If the block causes your poise to break, swig Estus, and DO NOT attack that round. Drop your shield and let your stamina recover a bit. Getting greedy is a Bad Habit(tm) in the Souls games, and the downfall of many a great boss fight. Take your time, and don't panic.

I can't speak as to what happens to the Hydra's AI with two people, as I have never fought a Hydra with a summon, so...your mileage may vary considerably. The above definitely works solo, though.

With two people it's trivial (or was for me). With one person up close the hydra usually doesn't use projectiles so the other player can spam spells and arrows all day

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Fraction posted:

We managed to get close enough (taking in turns on single player) to get the Hydra to change from the tidal wave attack to trying to chew our face off. Dodged behind the tree right near to her to heal, and then couldn't get back out to get her as each time we healed it only just covered the damage we'd taken, and as soon as the animation for the Estus flask had ended she'd attacked (via tidal wave) again and we couldn't get away from it and :suicide: Happened twice. I guess hiding behind the tree whilst healing was our downfall?

stop going away to heal! blocking one melee attack from the hydra gives a window plenty long enough to drink some estus while staying in the water. block, attack, repeat, heal as needed

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Augus posted:

I had a lot of trouble with the final boss in my playthrough. Then again I didn't summon Solaire and never parried him because is sucked at parries

I am extremely afraid that I'm gonna suck hard with the gun in Bloodborne because at my best in Dark Souls I could parry the black/silver Knights maybe 75% of the time and hollows 95%, but sucked parrying everything else (serpentmen, etc) and never got Gwyn even once :( maybe the regain mechanic will help make up for it though

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Raxivace posted:

How exactly is the quest with Siegmeyer's daughter supposed to work? I've never been able to even get her to even appear anywhere, let alone figure out how to actually save Siegmeyer in Lost Izalith.

I forget the exact order of stuff you ha e to do, but to save him in Izalith, kill 3 of the 4 chaos eater squid guys before you jump down with him to fight them, then kill the last one quickly. He has to finish the fight with over 50% of his HP left to continue to the end of the storyline and the titanite slab.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HaB posted:

- talk to Sieg in Anor Londo, get Tiny Being Ring

gotta kill the 3 silver knights for him too i think

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I always figured saving solaire was the Easter egg with the reward of having a buddy to fight Gwyn with and him going insane was the "canon" end to his story.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Awesome! posted:

also is the minotaur boss in the burg not required? i saw someone refer to the gargoyles as the first boss in a speed run

Yes, if you take the master key as your gift, you can go down into new londo ruins, up into valley of drakes, run through into darkroot basin, then to darkroot garden, and up into the undead parish where the blacksmith is. This lets you skip the burg and Taurus demon (and is also used by some to keep themselves open to invasions in the burg for pvp)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Stargate posted:

That enemy is actually much stronger than almost everything in Darkroot.

I got stomped pretty hard by like every forest hunter npc which i accidentally aggro'ed by running through the woods my first time there but yeah other than that darkroots pretty alright

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Fraction posted:

goddamnit

We've already burned through half of our Humanity stash - only got 6 Humanities left :( where can I get more in Anor Londo?

They're not very plentiful in Anor Londo. Did you grab the gold serpent ring from sen's fortress? If so put it on, go back to the depths, and kill rats for a while. Only thing I can think of :/

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

HaB posted:

I have done 4K exactly ONCE while rolling. Normally I just use Havel's because :effort:

For my SL 1 run, I did Havel's with Dusk's crown.

Attune 2 Combustion, and Great Combustion. (use the ring which gives you an extra slot).

And someone else can confirm since it's been so long, but I *think* you can pull off Arty's ring once you land in the Abyss. If so, as soon as you land, swap it out for Bellowing Dragoncrest.

I might be wrong on this last point, but it has been well over a year since I did my SL1.

Just remember that while you take out a King, you still have a couple of extra seconds while his death animation is playing to cause damage. Get in at least one extra cast!

I am 90% certain that if every cast hits, you won't even need your Lightning Axe. 4 GCs for each of the 1st 2 Kings, then 16 Cs for each of the other 2.

I don't think you can take off the ring, but what worked for me was dusk crown, arty ring, put on one of the rings that gives you an extra attunement slot, cast power within right after you drop down and switch to the bellowing dragoncrest. I actually killed the Kings at sl1 in 3 kings this way

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Augus posted:

Charcoal Pine Resin still buffs weapons that already deal fire damage, right?

No. If your weapon is build into fire, lightning, etc, you can't use buffs, including (I think?) Magic Weapon/GMW/CMW or the buffing miracles.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

death .cab for qt posted:

If you still can't kill them, consider getting Power Within, if you don't have it already. The 30% boost from Dusk's crown and the 20% boost from Dragoncrest, plus the damage boost from Power Within, should turn 4K into a huge joke. Just cast it once you land in the Abyss, before you spot the first King.

If you've got low attunement, you can use one of the rings that gives you another slot, attune power within and then cast it right before you drop down, then switch the ring for bellowing dragoncrest. Then you can have more slots for combustion and stuff

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I kinda feel like they were pulling a double bait and switch: new player pushes through the graveyard because it's close to the start and they've heard souls games are crazy hard, get to pinwheel eventually, feel like they got better because they beat him so easily, get crushed in tomb of the Giants

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Parrying dagger for parrying, dodge everything else :getin:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Not sure whether to feel envious or sad for you that you missed a core part of the souls rage experience

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Orv posted:

Fashion is the most important aspect of From Software's games.

Quote for truth, minmaxers be damned

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ghost of Starman posted:

#1 Quality of Life Feature for DS3: customizable armor colors.

Well, that and/or the ability to use the stats of one armor piece and the appearance of another (ala many, many MMOs these days).

Customizable colors would rule, but I think it's best that they'd keep their appearance for pvp purposes, so you can figure out resistances, dodge roll speed, etc of your opponent at a glance

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Nito was a funny boss for me, because my first playthrough was a dex build and once I found the silver knight spear I never looked back (still love that weapon honestly, such a good feel) and I was super confused how he could possibly be a hard boss. Then I fought him on another character and couldn't understand why his skeletons wouldn't stay dead, and that's how I learned that the silver knight weapons have a hidden divine attribute :downs:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Imo if you're totally new to souls games in general, use a shield for a while. Get the heater shield from the first merchant because it blocks 100% of damage and has the fastest parry window of the 100%s. Rolling will usually be better though. If you played Bloodborne, a quick rolling build with a shield that can quick parry will feel familiar.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Getting good at bloodborne made ds3 bosses kinda trivial honestly because you get almost as fast a roll as the BB dodge, but the boss attacks telegraphing have way longer windups in ds3

Ds2 was by far the hardest combat for me due to how long you're locked into your attack animations and how stamina greedy every action is

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Summoning in ds3 is tied to both soul level and weapon upgrade level, could have something to do with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Seltzer posted:

Is that to prevent sl 1 invasions with a +15 weapon? Tell me there's a way around that.... My weapon is only +2 and I'm in the beginning. My white soap signs get picked up right away and usually there are other people summoned too but I can't find any to use myself.

e- This might sound like a "everything new sucks" comment but I think the hollow/unhollow system was way cooler than ember no ember.

Yeah it's specifically to discourage twinking invasions. However they inadvertently made a huge loophole due to level adjusted summoning, as you can password summon a high level friend and it only adjusts their damage and health, while leaving the stamina bar and weapon requirements. Trivial to run around the high wall with a DSGA and stomp people, but I think think twink invasions lose all their fun if it's not one lone dickwraith running around

• Locked thread