Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is there any place to reliably get arrows besides the undead merchant? I killed him thinking there would be more merchants and I wanted the katana. I guess my play through is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

yeah the sewer hag or whatever sells poison/fire but they are 35. A little pricey.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

explosivo posted:

I'm getting continuously raped by the skeletons right outside the first area you get to after getting off the tutorial island. Is there another way I should be going or is this pretty much how the whole game's going to be? The respawning enemies makes me want to claw my eyes out.

A mace/club shatters their bones for a few seconds, letting you get some cheap shots on them while they peice themselves together.

Regarding respawns, are you talking about touching a bonfire? Because some of the skeletons further down that path DO continiously peice themselves together after dying.

You should go towards the bonfire and look around for grassy stairs going up. There will be harrowed enemies that are much easier. That path will lead you to the Undead Burg, a much better starting point.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Maremidon posted:

Oh, I tried that and I didn't really find anything. I'll look again.

The door only opens to go back, not forward, as far as I can tell. You have to go under/around it. there's a bonfire shortly after that, like 6-8 enemies in the way, keep trucking :)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

ANGRY TEEN posted:

So can you jump? Seems like I should be able to clear short gaps.

Hold sprint, then tap B/circle again and you will jump.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So, how do I get that giant bird to take me back to the asylum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PU7J_xSr-c

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I invaded a guy on the red drake bridge thinking I'd cheese the hell out of fire breathe and kill him. But he must have killed it, he was already inside the gate under where the drake sits.

How do you get there? Did he kill it, or does opening the gate somehow make it go away?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Smelly posted:

If you can get under it and into that gate, I believe it flies away.

Is that past the black night? Do you lose anything from not killing the drake somehow? (I already have the drake sword)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe you're over a certain % of equipment burden and not able to run as fast?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

What bonfire are you guys using for Capra Demon runs? I was using firelink -> sewer path. Is the Burg -> unlocked Gate route faster?

Also does going into the Depths make the gold knight put out the firelink bonfire? Where should you rest after that happens when doing Depths?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 7, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

feraltennisprodigy posted:

I used Burg -> shortcut gate. Took him out on my second try, you just have to run up the staircase to the left and take out the dogs first. Make him drop down and then use the plunging attacks 3-4 times to kill him.

When I do that the dogs somehow always run in front of me, blocking the stairs really pissing me off. I might try with heavier armor/poise.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Any hard and fast tips for character development? Like will going over a certain dex gimp yourself? Or if you upgrade some weapon past +5, can you not enchant it?

This seems like a game where efficient leveling would be beneficial in some sense, especially when finding PvP enemies is based around similar levels(?)

I guess you should figure out a core weapon set and stick to that? It just seems hard to do that when the wikis are goddamn terrible for weapon stats.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Is anybody else having difficulty getting backstabs? I can never seem to connect with them. Are they linked to Dex in any way?

I have a feeling (could be completely wrong) that the dagger type weapons have a wider angle of backstabbing. I always try to look at the feet and orientate myself that way to get backstabs.

The only stat that affects them is Critical and that only increases the bonus damage, afaik

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Foxhound posted:

This holy poo poo.
I dashed past him and up the stairs, thinking I'd get to kill the wolves first without him interfering. Stupid plan.

That's supposed to work if you dash all the way up the stairs and to the right. He'll try to come up and fall off.

My problem with him is the dogs body-block the stairs instantly and I get surrounded no matter what.

Aside, what armors are viable after the initial set? Are there any end-all/be-all sets for heavy or light?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 7, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

BrightGreenLine posted:

What does the purple gem that randomly appears under my stamina bar mean?

One of the rings buffs your defense when you're low hp. It might be that or some priest buffed near you.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

I just made a +10 Zweihander what's the advantage of making the sword with the wolf's soul? It does like half the damage of the +10 and 1/4 the damage of a lightning zweihander.

wolf sword looks more generalist with c/c/c/c and apparently you can upgrade a broken hilt to it?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Where the hell is the pyromancer trainer? I just made a new character, how long til I get to him?

Pretty sure he's freed from the Depths (so 3 major bosses away)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dirty Job posted:

So I think I was invaded, not sure if it was a PC or the game doing it though. Some spiky red dude showed up in the sewers, I kicked his rear end without getting hit, and he dropped a humanity and a barbed sword thing. Not quite sure what that was all about.

Also, the Gaping Dragon from the trailers is actually much easier than I thought. I did it with another player, but he seems to just constantly flatten himself onto the ground and let you attack him without recourse.

I watched a video of a guy doing it. It seemed a little disappointing considering it's like the first OH-poo poo-HUGE boss you fight.

edit: lmao DaS has warped my perception of "disappointing" when a boss doesn't kill you in ridiculously unfair ways.:getin:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 7, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Blarfo posted:

It's an NPC invasion. Kirk there invades in a few places, if you kill him a bunch you can get his armor. There's another one I found between the bonfire and Quelaag at the base of Blighttown.

You have to be in human form for them to show up.

About the gaping dragon, I don't even know if it really hurts but I still do the OH poo poo thing every time he decides to vomit all over the entire loving room, as I desperately run from it.

The yellow cloud supposedly breaks your armor(?) if you get hit by it.

Dirty Job posted:

Alright, that makes a bit more sense then.

Also, I upgraded my winged spear to "raw". It seems to do a bit more damage and some of the...uhh....damage types? changed letters. Anyone have a clear definition for what "raw" means?
Raw trades bonus damage for regular damage. So if you just want to use the weapon but not necessarily build your stats around it.

What I mean is you get more base damage but less bonus damage. Sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it's not depending on where your stats go.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 7, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Where are you guys going after Second Belltower? I saw the that lava-y area with the egg people after Quel. Should I go there? I also want to kill Laurentius but he's in Anor (which is after Sens?) and it seems pretty hard atm

Also the master key makes 2 areas almost trivial. Depths: After opening the door from sewer, you can drop down to the side of the butcher, free the pyromancer, and climb down a ladder next to the giant rat, then go through a tunnel that leads to a bonfire which is like 1 room away from the boss.

and for Blighttown: Go down down past Firelink's Firekeeper and ride the elevator down. Leave the shaft and enter the next shaft. This leads to Valley of the Drakes, you can cross the little wooden bridge and into the cave. Fight 3 ogre guys then climb some ladders down. You end up at the wheel which you can ride down into the swamp. Keep left and touch the bonfire, and you're pretty close to the boss already.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Ah, yeah, you are too low to see it. You should probably work on getting some better weapons anyway. This part of the forest is a little rough. The drake blade definitely starts to show its age after you ring the bells.

I like the Demon Straight Sword, I think it's called. It's not the Greatsword but requires 24str. It has a slightly higher base dmg than Drake Sword and scales slightly. You will probably scale out of it eventually but I think it makes a pretty cheap upgrade from the Drake Sword.

I can kill those Stone Guardians in the forest in 1 2handed combo. The 2handed combo is sick too. You can guard break with 1 attack and the next attack is very quick after that dealing massive damage.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I missed the door to the basement areas of the Undead Burg for a long time and ran around doing parts of Darkroot Garden / Basin got my shield to +5, my armor bits to +3, killed the Hydra and bought some lovely sorceries from Dusk, ran around in the Valley of Drakes jumping over lightning bolts, got a key in Blighttown and then ran away because I didn't want to deal with mosquitoes and have finally just gotten back to doing what I was supposed to be doing. I killed Capra Demon, the butchers, freed a pyromancer who didn't offer to sell me anything, fried a rat and then ran low on Estus and Homeward Boned myself back to the Undead Burg campfire near the dragon ladder.

I picked up one of those random humanity points and my main question is out of the above areas is there a particular bonfire I should kindle before I get myself killed and lose my humanity point? I kindled that one in Undead Burg and it's been pretty helpful, meanwhile that one near the 20,000 souls key door seems like a poo poo one to kindle, so I'm looking for some advice there. Also where did that pyromancer go? Am I going to find someone that sells me some offensive sorceries soon or what?
I kindle a lot of bonfires and I rarely run around with anymore than 1 humanity. I just used Firelink a lot. You can get to Parish/Woods rather easy from it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

30 hours in and I don't fully understand humanity. Why does my humanity meter suddenly have a few in it out of nowhere? Is there some reliable place to get it?

You get "liquid humanity" randomly from killing things. It automatically enters your meter.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Losanda posted:

I guess my post got burried, the thread is moving really fast, so I'll try again:

I have trouble finding any new spells after the initial soul arrow (I hope that's what it's called in the English version) and its heavier iteration. Can someone tell me where I can find/buy other spells? None of the many NPCs I found seems to sell any. I'm a lvl43 mage after some drunk grinding last night.

There's a guy you free in undead burg. He ends up in Firelink after you free him. If you're coming from the bonfire he's behind a wall near the grassy stairs to aquaduct.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

darkhand posted:

Where are you guys going after Second Belltower? I saw the that lava-y area with the egg people after Quel. Should I go there? I also want to kill Laurentius but he's in Anor (which is after Sens?) and it seems pretty hard atm

Any help on this? I killed the Butterfly and I have the key to the Woods but those covenant guys seem pretty hard without cheesing it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

VerySolidSnake posted:

I do not understand humanity either. What do you mean spend it? When I use it I only notice that it fills up my health meter all the way, but my guy still looks like a piece of beef jerky. How can you tell if you are hollowed or not?

You "spend" it at bonfires by selecting "Reverse hollowing". You need atleast 1 humanity in your meter for it to work. I however don't really recommend just running around consuming all your item-humanity willy-nilly. If you have trouble with a boss, consume a humanity and reverse hollowing at a bonfire. Then you can summon some people to help you.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

BigLeafyTree posted:

Anyone know this?

I'd like to know if small shields like target shield are worth using.

There's probably some time variance in either animation times, or the window being wider of it actually being successful parry.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

GaistHeidegger posted:

Finally started getting invaded and it has been pretty hilarious seeing how confused half of these people get when they run into just how tanky my dude is. I had a guy manage to pull off his backstab and only take off 1/5th of my health--while the rest of the time I just doggedly strafe with people behind my shield while poking them safely to death with a jacked up winged spear with fire enchants. I have to assume a lot of these people just don't know what they're doing, but I have yet to come close to dying from an invader so far.

In Sen's fortress, where do you get the key to the cage with the item drop ring in it?

The Woods are hilarious for this. I killed 3 rather easily within 15minutes. One guy runs up while I have my shield up and does a bow. I was already swinging before I realised this and kill him. I felt kinda bad but why would you join that covenant and bow at people?

Only 1 guy knew his poo poo and backstabbed me for like 700 damage. It seems like the Forest covenant invading ignores level spans or something? I was like level 25 and saw people with what looked like insane gear.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Losanda posted:

For some reason I seem to have missed a huge junk of the game. Can someone give a truly clueless guy (that would be me) an easy to understand method to reach "Blighttown"? I'm having quite a bit of trouble with my German version of the game since everything is named completey different and the German wiki is a complete and utter mess.

I feel like an idiot.
You can either go from the Depths (the sewers with cursed frogs). There's a gate near where the funny merchant was. If you have the master key: You can go down beneath Firelink through the elevator, go down the steps then outside and immediately outside is another shaft with staircase. Go up those and you'll see a gate, cross the wooden bridge and enter the cave. You'll see 2 ogres and that's blighttown.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Everybody keeps talking about the darned dragon sword and I have no idea what that is. Should I already have it by the time I'm at the blacksmith bonfire? Is it really so much better than anything else available at the time?

Yes it's really good until you can start grinding 10k souls easy.

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Ugh, where can I buy more purging stones for cheap? I've already blown through my two free ones because of these loving frogs.

There's really no reason to keep ending up in there. But you can buy some from the lady at the end of the sewers for 6k or have yourself decursed at the belltower for 3k.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

charismaslover posted:

Just got to Anor Lando, while it looks awesome I'm dreading the inevitable fight against the big knight guys :ohdear:

What SL are you and is it past Sens? I rang both Bells and I'm trying to do the stuff to kill Lautrec.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

charismaslover posted:

I'm SL 42 and it's straight after Sen's Fortress.

After I rang the bells I went into Darkroot and killed Great Wolf Sif, Moonlight Butterfly and the Hydra farmed some souls for 20mins to get some more strength and then Sen's.

Excellent, I think I'll take that route then, thanks. I can already tell the traps in Sens are going to be hilarious/brutal.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

charismaslover posted:

Is your character a melee or magic build? Mine's is melee only and the Darkroot Basin lake boss was a bit of a pain so you might find it easier if you have any ranged attacks.

The only spell I have is combustion. Is that the Hydra?

Rollersnake posted:

Is there any way I can tell what the stat requirements are for specific equipment? I can't find this in any of the information I can look at for any equipment.

If you push Square(ps3) X(?360) while in your inventory screen, you get an item specification page. The numbers at the bottom right tell you how much stats you need. Pretty sure it's Str/Dex/Int/Faith. So 24/18/0/0 means you need 24 strength, and 18 dex to weild it (1handed)

Rollersnake posted:

Also I've yet to do a single successful backstab. I thought you just had to be directly behind the enemy and do a R2 attack? I can't get this to work even on the Hollows who just stand around near the entrance to New Londo. Can I only backstab with daggers or something?
You need to do R1 not r2.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 9, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

So what weapons are you guys doing high-tier upgrades on? I'm assuming you need atleast 1 lightning/fire weapon and 1 divine weapon?

I'm thinking of using the Iaido for a lightning. No clue what I should do for divine. Apparently there's a sweet Curved blade from Either the butterfly soul or wolf soul? but I thought curved blades were supposed to suck at hurting armor.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

charismaslover posted:

Yep, doesn't help that you have to get really close while he fires off a magic attack from all 5 heads when you are still at range. Also keep in mind that you move slower in the water while fighting him, and to watch your feet when you are close as you can fall to your death over the edge.

A few things that will help with Darkroot, if you go straight and follow the path all the way you will see a door that is locked, if you attack the wall next to it there is a hidden bonfire. Also when you go down into the basin, when you drop down after the crystal gecko and go right and down the path there is a knight waiting. If you beat him there is a bonfire where he was that helped me out a lot I died to the Hydra

Ha, thanks I have been using the firelink entrance I think (my mind is all twisted atm). One of the entrances put me right next to the crystal golems which seemed pretty close to him. He was attacking me at that distance anyways. I actually used the Crystal Shield on the Butterfly because of it's magic resists and it's still at 249/250 durability so I might try that again if I need to.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

What shield is that?

Grass Crest. The bad thing is that it's not 100% mitigation so you end up with weird block animations that can kill you.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

der juicen posted:

i get slammed in 2 hits when I walk through the fog.

Everyone does. I seemed to have more trouble than most people too because everytime, the dogs would block me in while trying to move at all.

What helped me was rolling a split second after loading in, then sprinting up the stairs, kill the dogs, then you can lunge attack Capra for a lot of his hp, then he's really easy to fight.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Viash posted:

What is with people having so much trouble with capra? There is like five seconds between when you walk through the door and when his initial attack lands, that is a loving eternity in Dark Souls time. Walk through the door, immediately sprint forward and to the right, circle around capra and up the stairs. Hit the dogs a couple times, fall off and run back to the door when capra catches up, hit dogs more. Repeat until dogs are dead, when it's just capra he's super easy because he's so slow.

If this is too hard for you maybe action games are not your thing.

Uh what babby version are you playing? Is this on 360? Because on my game it was: Load in, dogs are ALREADY at the stairs blocking it, and he's swinging at you.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

der juicen posted:

It's a TAD bit harder when your left arm looks like this.

:nws::nws::nws: http://i56.tinypic.com/23raj6f.jpg :nws::nws::nws: but healed.

And you can't use your hand, fyi.

Real Dark Souls Starts Here.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah... no.

I can't believe Google has no answer for where to sell extra items.

After the second bell tower a giant serpant shows up in the Firelink that "eats items" and gives you souls. A lot of stuff only sells for 50souls but some of the junk stuff from undead burg sells for 100. And apparently you can sell those Lost Souls of the <Something> items for more than you can consume them for.

And if you hate having a bunch of items in your inventory the merchant in Depths I believe sells a bottomless item box. Which can "store" items so you dont have a bunch of poo poo to scroll through while changing weapons in the battle field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Merauder posted:

2. People are saying 20-30 normal arrows, I did it in a dozen or so with heavy arrows.

If you're careful you can get a few swipe on the tail with a sword too when he hovers on the bridge.

• Locked thread