Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Once I reached Firelink I went in every direction but the Undead Burg at first and was maimed horribly by some powerful creatures each time. Even once I hit the Burg I took a few wrong turns and ran into badass knights that I had no hope of defeating. It reminded me of strolling around a corner in 1-1 and getting annihilated by red eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Does it take that much to repair, or upgrade it? Because if you have to cough up the upgrade items to repair a broken weapon, holy poo poo I am never using that attack ever again. :ohdear:

Not normally. He just really, really broke it by using the two handed heavy attack a lot so it will cost a ton to repair it to full. If you use it as a normal sword you won't have any problems.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Agnostic watermelon posted:

And if you beat the boar, you get a totally rad helmet.

[e] One tip I have for new players is GET THE GODDAMN DRAKE SWORD. It makes combat so much easier when you only have to hit the weak ones once.

It's a random drop, I've killed three boars and none of them have dropped the helmet.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

I'm not entirely sure what the depths are. I'm on that demon with the dogs that attack you right when you get through the fog, after the gargoyles. I'm also a thief.

edit: I guess I could try flipping to human with some item-humanity and seeing if there are any sigils, but it seems like a bad crutch to rely on.

There's nothing wrong with getting help from phantoms if you can't make it through a boss on your own. The game encourages that you do this and rewards people for helping you.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Nechronic posted:

I think I read that Way of the White, Princess' Guard, and Warriors of the Sun are actually supposed to increase your co-op activiy.

I believe they are supposed to make it so that you are more likely to be matched with players who are also in those covenants when co-oping.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've read that you will be able to summon Lautrec to help you fight the gargoyles and gaping dragon if you free him. I didn't see his sign there though, only Solaire's. For future reference, anything special you have to do to get him to show up?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Demitri Omni posted:

Before you go up the last ladder, look behind you on a ledge. You may also have to go back to Fireshrine and talk to him first.

I must have overlooked it, I figured he would be right next to Solaire. I also found a sign for an NPC named Witch Beatrice that made the Moonlight Butterfly go faster since I didn't have any offensive magic.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

evilalien posted:

You keep the head if you leave the covenant, so he could have easily been invaded some other way.

Doesn't the dragon covenant get an item like the red eye stone that lets people be willingly invaded? Perhaps the person saw that and thought he was going to summon a white phantom to help him but instead got angry dragon man.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Do these dudes that I'm farming in the forest drop any stuff? I've mostly been making them plunge to their deaths (which never stops being funny to me for some reason) but I've actually fought them a few times and didn't get anything. Sometimes I don't even have to lure them away, there was an invisible guy using a bow who rolled himself backwards off of a cliff as I approached him for a cool 5,000 souls.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Picked up the hardcover guide by Futurepress at Gamestop and I'd like to reiterate just how great it is. I'm going to try not to rely on it too much when initially exploring things, but it's really good quality.

Managed to ring the second bell last night, with the help of a phantom who first invaded me and was easily killed, and then had a summon set up before the boss. They uh...weren't the greatest, which I should have assumed when they repeatedly tried to heavy smash me when I was like...30 feet away. Also they were basically nude. But they were a great help distracting the boss!

This sounds like Maneater Mildred, who is an NPC and not another player. She is easily killed when she invades you but does a good job tanking the boss if you summon her.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Abundance of Gokus posted:

The guy with the bow has a chance to drop a very high power bow (basically a longbow with S Dex scaling) and a pretty cool hat. I, uh, don't think he respawns.

drat it. I was going to fight this guy normally too, I was running in to attack him since the arrows give his position away and he switched to a sword, rolled backwards, and killed himself.

I also wandered a bit farther and encountered my first catigator, which did a crazy rolling attack that I was not prepared for at all and sent me flying. It then immediately did the same attack again, killing me before I could stand back up.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Despite knowing what would happen if I fell, I still managed to blunder through a hole in the Depths. Against all the odds, I avoided being cursed. The first three frogs got the jump on me as I landed right on them but I desperately slashed away and killed them before rolling out of the fog in time. Being human definitely seemed to help me resist it long enough to escape. After that I creeped along and blasted any frog I saw with a bow before they could get close and finished them all off. Then I was invaded by Kirk the spiked guy but he was easily dispatched with a fire orb. I was a little disappointed that he dropped nothing but humanity though, I have bad luck with drops so far.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Funkmaster General posted:

Do NPC invaders follow the same rules as human invaders, or can I return to cleared areas as a human and fight the invading NPCs there?

I've missed a couple Kirk invasions, and also the monk hat guy

As said, if you beat the boss of the area then it seems like you've missed your chance at them. Also, even though they're NPCs it look like you have to be online to trigger them - out of curiosity I experimented to see if Kirk would spawn offline and he only popped up when I was logged in, I guess to simulate a "real" invasion. This is not true for NPC white phantoms, they will appear regardless of whether or not you're online.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Kiwillian posted:

Yeah, I just haven't been in the Depths much. I read there is a shortcut near-ish the start by the big butcher guy? Where is that and how much of a shortcut is it?

There are a bunch of crates and barrels piled up behind the table the butcher was chopping meat at, crash through them and there's a doorway that will take you to a platform in the sewers (it's a one way trip though). It has a corpse with a spider shield and is a nice cheesy sniper spot for the mini-boss that resides there. Once it's dead you can drop down and reach the main boss pretty easily by sliding down a slope but you'll have to hug the wall while sliding or you'll drop right into frog town.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Orcrez posted:

Im not far into this but im at the bell tower. every once in awhile i hear it ring... is that the game or is someone ringing it?

You'll hear it when other players on the network ring it. It's a neat little touch actually.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Man, I didn't really have much trouble with some of the previous oft complained about stuff like capra demon and the curse frogs but Blighttown is horrible. I've plunged to my doom about six times, died twice because I got completely stuck in a wall while rolling, leaving me helpless to enemies (this was super bullshit and I lost 15,000 souls because of it), and got mobbed by five infinitely respawning mosquitoes in the swamp while trying to heal poison. I also have no idea where to go once I'm down there.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

doctor 7 posted:

EDIT: Oh and for gently caress's sake spend all your souls/humanity on poo poo BEFORE you get to Blighttown. Chances are you're just going to die and lose it at least once so might as well have a fully stack of anti-poison.

Those souls I lost were all gained in Blighttown itself, I went in with nothing. I had to re-run the area so many times I started amassing a big stack and I usually recovered it successfully until getting rendered motionless by being stuck in a drat wall.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Hell yeah, finally got through Blighttown. Beat the boss with the help of Maneater Mildred and some random dude I summoned by the bonfire. I also bought most of the pyromancies from the lady in the swamp but ran out of souls before I could get Firestorm.

So, uh, how do I get back out? Do I have to climb back up? Going straight heads to the Demon Ruins and I'm pretty sure I don't want to mess with that yet.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Krinkle posted:

oh, then I already did that. Thanks though! I am just farmin these dogs until someone tells me they don't drop it ever

Actually, if you trade in the rubbish you just get a normal titanite chunk. You can get a white one from trading a sunlight medal.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Leyburn posted:

I hate to ruin the party, but that's an NPC.

I found this video the other day where a dude gets invaded by Kirk but isn't aware it's an NPC so he starts screaming and ranting as if it's another player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCuCt1AmwBw

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Houdini posted:

Does the giant crow do anything? I don't want to harm it because it looks cool but it just sits above that pool all the time.

It can take you back to the asylum.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Roumba posted:

I know that sometimes you can gain an extra Estus Flask because someone kindled at the same bonfire you are based at. But what can give you humanity spontaneously? Not the item, just direct humanity. Is it a set number of souls collected/monsters killed or something?

Also, is there a way to interact with other players I see at bonfires? And one time I summoned a white phantom who was gold, weird.

It appears that you get humanity from just killing regular enemies in areas where you have not beaten the boss yet. I don't think it's very well understood how it works yet but there's believed to be a hidden percentage meter that fills every time you kill something. It's not limited to just one humanity either, I kept dying from falling in Blighttown but kept recovering my blood stain so I ended up with two held humanity just from killing all of the enemies there repeatedly.

The gold phantom you saw was a member of the Warriors of Sunlight covenant. Also I don't believe there's any way to interact with people at bonfires, you can try gesturing but they may not be able to see you even if you see them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Is there any reliable way to break grapples? I was fighting a group of the weird crow people in the painted world and one of them got me in a grapple attack that I wasn't aware they had. Took me from 1018 HP to dead. I tried mashing the attack buttons but that didn't seem to do anything.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Barudak posted:

The crow people grab does crazy damage. Seriously, gently caress the crow dudes. Mashing just makes it end as opposed to it going till it kills you.

How did it take you from 1018 -> Dead? I had maybe 700 at that point and could tank one grapple with just enough to survive at full health.

I have no idea, I was at full health and then done with that one attack, maybe I had taken a simultaneous hit from another one. It surprised the poo poo out of me, I was on a rooftop grabbin' loot and four of them dropped down. I tried to get a combustion off to fry the whole group but one of them grabbed me and that was it. Other than that, that area was pretty nice actually. Cool looking environment, tons of stuff to grab, varied enemies, the best NPC invader, a pretty neat boss even if she was easy.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I was invaded by a guy who immediately cast Tranquil Walk of Peace, and then spammed one of the force miracles until I died since I had no way to escape. That was pretty lame. I was trying to get to O&S, I knew I should have summoned somebody back at the bonfire but odds are my homie would have been caught in the same poo poo too.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jimbot posted:

Happened to me twice trying to get to that boss battle. Since I over-leveled, I didn't have any signs show up, so I had to do it solo or with with that npc knight buddy.

He was wearing the fog ring too but that I can at least deal with, you can still hit them even if you can't lock on. I just never had a chance to actually fight there. I've been invaded a few times before and this was the first phantom who just spammed poo poo on me rather than actually dueling with me so I have no idea how to avoid it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Tyskil posted:

So is there a good place for dragon covenant people to place the dragon eye stones around sl 40? I've been having okay luck around sens fortress front gates, but I was wondering if there was an "official" spot. Goddamn why can't we just drop them in ash lake :argh:

Also heads up for anyone who wants to join this covenant, even though they specifically have to summon you, you can still get indicted when they lose. And people will freak the hell out on you because I guess they think you're supposed to be helpful? I've gotten lots of nice angry PSN mails because a dude will summon me thinking I'm going to be a white phantom and I just kick em down pits.

Yeah apparently a lot of players don't know that dragon signs are going to summon hostile phantoms, there's lots of stories around of players who had no idea and got blasted or posting to ask what the hell that sign was. There was one guy in this thread who was summoned and discovered the underequipped host desperately trying to survive against a dragon man he apparently didn't know was going to attack him.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Red Mundus posted:

Well Goddamn, never thought of that! However if I run past I can't summon Siggy. Is he worth summoning? I summoned him so far for each run and he seems good at taking the heat off. I guess I can go solo considering how slow fatboy is. I'm a bit calmer now so I'm actually looking forward to trying the boss again. The reason I got so pissed was that I had almost won the battle but the the input bug kicked in and I ended up drinking a flash instead of blocking. That REALLY needs to patched ASAP.

Solaire is helpful in that fight, he won't do much damage but he will tank Smough and allow you to easily isolate Ornstein to kill him first if that's what you're after. Then once it's down to just Smough, he will mainly focus on Solaire since Solaire will just keep moving towards him so you'll get a bunch of free hits. The fight really is easier with at least one other friendly in there to take the heat off.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

So the armor of the second one I kill? Thanks. Now I just need to find someone to hold my hand. :sigh:

Get two people if you're going for Ornstein's armor. I've been phantoming there (I'm SL 55) and with three players, Ornstein drops quickly even in his second form because he'll have trouble deciding who to hit, or just have somebody pull aggro while the others pummel him from behind with fire and Captain America shields. Also you should probably communicate to your phantoms somehow that you want to kill Smough first because generally people go for Ornstein first.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Orcrez posted:

is this the lady by the hydra? I got her to appear but one of the stone guys killed her with his AOE attack... what does she do?

The one by the hydra is Dusk of Oolacile, she will sell you some unique spells. If the golems got her, she's gone for good. They're talking about the spider woman who leads the chaos covenant.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Elysiume posted:

Oh, I'm not saying I get summoned more at O&S. I was barely getting summoned there with my sigil right past the bonfire, so I've been failing to get summoned on Iron Golem.

I was dropping my sign right in front of the fog door for O&S and was summoned 8 times in roughly an hour. I had better success getting summoned right there than earlier in the level. I was basically killing the bosses for them too, they were trying to poke at them with lightning spears and such and then I just bust out some great combustions for 600+ on Ornstein and Captain America for 965 each hit on Smough.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Hell Diver posted:

Go in the front door and take a left in the courtyard at the Phalanx. There's a well you can climb down into that's full of those rolling skeletons. You'll find a switch down there that will open the lower door to the bridge.

Alternatively, do a jumping attack to the thing blocking your path on the bridge. It will... stand up and let you pass (this is not the intended way out of the level but gently caress those wheel skeletons).

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

invalid posted:

He always ends up shooting me in the back. I've tried waiting longer but I always end up pinned against a wall until my stamina is gone.

I must be doing something very wrong

Not really, this part can be pretty tricky, you kind of have to luck out. Once I reached the guy on the right, I didn't try to run away and lure him off of the ledge, I just turtled behind my shield. I didn't have a lot of stamina left but enough to block a few attacks and counter with a kick that knocked him off. Once you get far enough to the right, the one on the left will keep shooting but won't be able to hit you. I favored going for the one on the right since you can just continue on if you get past him, if you go to the left you still have to go back right and there's a possibility of loving up still.

Alternatively, if you have poison arrows, you can cheese it by shooting them and just hiding until the poison damage kills them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
drat, I would have had Seath easily on the first try if I had known that all of the clam monsters that I ran past on the way were going to warp into the fight with me and completely block me into the path of the boss's attacks. Then I was knocked off of a crystal bridge blocking an attack by a golem on the way back. :negative:

The stuff in the Duke's Archives seemed to hit really hard for some reason, even the snake men were a lot beefier than they were in Sen's Fortress. I might have ventured in there too early? Also hit up the Great Hollow and Ash Lake after that, pretty cool area for something that's totally optional.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ixjuvin posted:

Seath is a pretty easy kill unless you're going for his tail, the really hard part of the boss fight is actually getting to him. And yeah, the stuff in all three endgame zones is pretty loving beefy.

Yeah, I got him pretty easily once I made it back there. I tried going for the tail but he smashed me with it and nearly one shot so I just said gently caress it and spammed pyromancy. I just wanted to get out of that area because I got my rear end kicked a few times by archers who would hit for huge damage and those stupid channelers sniping me from two floors up. I'm gonna have to go back to farm them for their trident though, I want that thing.

enojy posted:

I'm awfully sure that's not supposed to happen! That boss took me at least a couple of tries, with some others taking upwards of a dozen (or more) tries. I would run straight back to the fog gate, ignoring enemies on the way, and they would always get locked out of the gate once I entered. In fact, once I pushed X to enter the gate, I enjoyed a period of invincibility (attacks that appeared to have hit me from the outside do nothing.)

It was just on the first try, there's no fog gate to go through when you first encounter the boss so the enemies followed me right in and teleported to the boss's location so as I ran up to engage him they all huddled around and I had no way to escape their attacks and the crystal ray thing. On subsequent attempts there is a gate that will block the clams out.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

neetz posted:

I summoned someone yesterday who had this sweet wedding dress type armour, I loved the look of it. How do I get it? Is it any good? (I'm guessing absolutely not because it looks nice).

I do love the variety of armour in this game. On that note, I heard there are armour bits and pieces that augment magic/faith/pyro damage. One was something from Dusk, I think, and I saw a picture of the Monk's Head Collar here so I assume that's one too. Any more?

That sounds like the antiquated set, which you get from freeing Dusk of Oolacile. The skirt is surprisingly really good and has absurdly high defensive stats. I believe the crown in the Moonlight set you can get after defeating Gwyndolin also boosts magic. Sadly the Xanthous (monk) set doesn't have anything special about it I don't think.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Toiwat posted:

So I joined the Daughters of Chaos and donated 30 humanities. I got my pyromancy. Now where the hell is my shortcut.

Edit: Also, Eingyi doesn't really seem any more friendly than he was before, even though I have the ring and can speak with Quelaag's sister.

About Eingyi, he won't be friendly until you have an egg on your head. Go to the demon ruins and aggro one of the egg bearers and get it to do a grapple on you. If your character starts scratching their head after that, you're infected. Wait for the egg to pop out and talk to Eingyi again. He'll be your bro now and give you an item to remove the egg.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Boosh! posted:

Oh wow, first I've heard of that, thanks man. Safe to leave Darkwraith, join the forest covenant, leave that and return to the Darkwraiths in the future right?

You can safely leave any covenant for another and come back later and rejoin. I believe you lose a rank with them if you leave though. Just don't attack any of their members and you'll be fine.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Also you can get back out of Anor Londo by returning to where you started and "talking" to the demon perched there, it will take you back to Sen's Fortress. You're not stuck there until you beat the boss like a lot of people seem to think.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Liquid Penguins posted:

I just joined the way of the dragon covanent. Is there a shortcut back or do I really have to climb all the way back up?

If you can warp from bonfires, just do that. If not, you gotta climb back up and odds are you rested at a bonfire so the basilisks will be back. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Samurai Sanders posted:

To put it another way, if all their white phantoms die off due to their incompetence and they are left all alone it's their own drat fault.

While this is true, if I'm tanking a boss so you can stand back and throw soul arrows at it undisturbed, it would be nice if you could do me a solid and give me a heal if I take some hits.

• Locked thread