Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Hi! I saw the Giant Bomb quicklook for this game and now I'm interested. I've played a lot of Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, so which class should I pick? I understand that the fighting is much slower than in NG games, but I want to play a character that relies a lot on dodging and quick melee attacks. I don't really like shields or bows. Would the Wanderer be good?

Edit: Oh, the game isn't even out yet. Welp

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I just died and effectively wasted 25 firebombs because my Xbox controller interpreted "throw bomb and shield" as "shield for a second, then throw bomb". Now I have to farm for about half an hour and also walk all the way to the merchant and then back to the gargoyles. I enjoy challenge but I don't enjoy dying because of poor controls.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Just use my strat for killing the Gargs. Strip to your skivvies for <1/4 dodging and running, and then beat them over the head repeatedly with a zweihander. A two-handed strong attack from a zweihander is enough to break a Gargoyle's Poise and stagger them. Just do this over and over and over.

Fighting one of them really isn't a problem for me. It's when the other one shows up and it becomes almost impossible to do any damage without getting hit by flame breath.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Switch to human and have Solaire tank em as you wreck them. The fight went from "urgh I cant do this with this slow rear end character" to "This is trivial"

I don't have any humanity left. Are all the ways to beat this boss basically either farming or walking across the map? Maybe it's because I just spent 2 hours making no progress whatsoever but I don't really feel like doing that stuff

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So I finally got past the Bell Gargoyles and went down to the catacombs. After killing the Pinwheel boss on my first try and getting to Tomb of the Giants, I died next to a bonfire because two giant skeletons were punching me. Then I fell into a pit so I lost about 8000 souls and also humanity. And then I found out that I was supposed to go lower undead burg and some other places before going to the catacombs. Woops! The area actually seemed pretty easy so I had no idea. Maybe that's just because I had a +5 battle axe with me.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Are the two weapon routes mutually exclusive? Like, if I put points into both dexterity and strength, will I be able to wield all the late-game weapons? Is this even a good idea? I kinda like smashing things with huge weapons but I also kinda like the idea of slicing things with curved swords. I'm leaning towards strength-requirement weapons at the moment (I like the battle axe I upgraded). Is one of the weapon types stronger than the other?

That's a lot of questions. Here's another one! Is there like a list of loot I should get from hidden locations? I kinda feel bad about having my best sword be a longsword. I know about the Drake sword thing but that takes too long to get.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I want to try out the Uchigatana. The merchant drops one. I don't really need anything from him except wooden arrows maybe. Is it a good idea to buy like 1000 arrows and then kill him off? I just killed the Gaping Dragon if you want an idea where I'm at in the game.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

VerySolidSnake posted:

I almost gave myself a heart-attack but was able to take out all of the curse frogs in the sewers. The reward was well worth it, a ring that gives you back HP for every enemy you kill. It's about the closest we get to a regen ring this time around I believe.

Wait, what? I accidentally fell into one of those holes and had to kill them all. I didn't get any ring. Where is it?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Macksy posted:

I just killed the boss in blighttown before the second bell. Is there a shortcut back to firelink/the surface anywhere? I've found the path to valley of drakes, but I haven't explored anywhere there yet. I really want to buy some stuff with these 30k souls I got before I lose them and get angry(like I've already have done once in blighttown.)

Do you have one of those things that teleport you to the bonfire? They're called something like "Wayward bone", I'm not sure.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Sumixam posted:

Is there a trick to Capra Demon? There just isn't room to do anything to him in that area.

Get your shield up and try to make your way to the staircase. Eventually you're bound to make it up there. Then, you should be able to kill the dogs. Then just sidestep the Capra Demon and hit him in the butt.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm contemplating whether or not I should get some Xbox Live Gold just for the online features. I've been doing perfectly fine without it but I'd like to see the online stuff in action. Is it worth it?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

traveling midget posted:

I backtracked after beating Gaping Dragon to get the Ring of the Evil Eye, and gently caress me, I got Cursed literally in the deepest part of Basilisk-infested Depths. 14k souls are hostage down there. Fuuuuck.

The frogs aren't that hard to kill if you engage them one at a time. Use a bow to pull them one at a time. You can even use firebombs if you're that scared of them. Getting cursed isn't instant.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 16, 2011

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

GreenMarine posted:

Dark Souls players are funny, if you think about it.

"Why are you killing that guy?" "Because it's hard to do..."

"Why are you trying to save that guy's life?" "Because it's difficult..."

"So are you good or evil???" "Uhm...which is harder?"

You know, this game hasn't been hard for me in a while. Ever since I figured out that upgrading weapons is a good idea, the game became really easy. The last boss that gave me trouble was the Bell Gargoyles, and that was probably because I had no real gear and couldn't summon anything. I mean sure, I still die but that's mostly due to carelessness.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 17, 2011

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

What should I put points into now?

Vitality 26
Attunement 11
Endurance 31
Strength 15
Dexterity 15
Resistance 11
Intelligence 10 or something
Faith 8

I use a lightning weapon so I don't really need Strength or Dexterity. I don't really care about casting spells either. Should I just keep putting points into endurance and vitality until they're like 50?

Edit: by the way this game is fairly ruthless when it comes to PvP. Just today I was resting at a bonfire while searching the internet for some information, and I suddenly hear a backstab noise. I switch my monitor's source back to my Xbox and find out that my dude just got stabbed in the back. At a bonfire. And then I died.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 17, 2011

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I never really looked into spells before now, and I have a question

Shouldn't pyromancy have a stat tied to it? Having a separate item that you can upgrade means that you can put tons of souls to it and not increase your level at all. Then you can go PvP dudes who are much weaker even though you are the same level as them.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Man, I really can't decide whether or not I should start leveling faith for miracles or just settle with pyromancy.

I like the concept of miracles more since they are more like buffs and not just nukes. I kinda dislike magic anyway, so miracles would be great for stopping those magical shenanigans in PvP. Sadly I'd have to put like 10-40 points into faith to get access to all the spells. I'm already level 60. I also kind of want to join the Warriors of Sunlight so there's that too.

If I started leveling pyromancy on the other hand, I wouldn't need to put any points into anything, just spend souls on upgrading that hand. Then I could put my extra points into strength for better weapons and maybe intelligence.

Would it be a good idea to start leveling faith at this point? I'd be like level 100 before my character would be "complete" which isn't exactly appealing. I'm on the Xbox too, so I'd imagine I'd get really lonely, really fast.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Man, Xbox Live is indeed a ghost town. I spent like an hour using that blue orb thing and I couldn't find a single world to invade. I'm a bit over level 60. I do see orange writings and an occasional ghost, but I just can't seem to find anyone to invade. Same deal with summoning, I haven't been summoned since Queelag.

I'm in Duke's Archives right now. I've already killed the Four Kings and Nito. Am I overleveled or something? Or maybe I should just wait for the patch and hope it fixes literally everything.

edit: I also found this Gravelord sword. It doesn't seem amazing damage-wise but apparently it's amazing for PvP thanks to the toxin thing.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 20, 2011

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Same here. Last Sunday I got summoned 6 times in a row for O&S, and since then not a sniff of action. Been using the blue orb for the last few hours and ditto, plus I've been human and no invasions. Since the 360 version seems to have far fewer players, I'm hoping they consolidate onto one server, since spreading the player base isn't working.

Are the servers regional or do they just contain random groups of people?

Also I've noticed the bonfires tend to feel a lot warmer when there's other people sitting around them as well. I just wish the game showed more people sitting around them. Like 4 or 6 maybe.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

darkhand posted:

Honestly there's only like a handful of places to justity smashing a lot of boxes and barrels that I've come across, and most of them are in the Depths! Having him in there like that is kind of rear end in a top hat-ish but what-are-ya-gonna-do :rant:

I think it's just another case of "well what the hell did you think would happen" that Dark Souls is full of.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kiggles posted:

These were probably buffed to make more sets viable. Crystal gear was complete garbage across the board.

This reminds me: I just had a dream yesterday about Dark Souls. In the dream, I was in this dungeon that wasn't in the actual game. I can't really remember anything except that at one point some crystals came out of the ground and stabbed me. But I didn't die or get cursed. All my gear turned to crystal. It made everything I had a lot better but also impossible to repair. Feel free to take notes for the next Souls game, From.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Eej posted:

Ornsteen and Smoe

Ornstine?

• Locked thread