Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What does the Big knight with the mace and the big shield in the undead parish drop? I killed him right as he killed me, and I'm wondering what I missed out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

You didn't miss it, it will still be there when you get back.

I think my game is bugging, cause he's gone, won't respawn no matter what. Same thing happened [/spoiler]with the Armored Boar early on[spoiler]

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 6, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

No, big enemies like that are supposed to stay gone forever, like bosses. He meant that the drop should still be there where you killed him. I don't actually know if that is accurate, though.

e: I mean the information about the drop. I do know that it is accurate that big enemies stay dead after you kill them.

Oh okay. I think it was actually, I found an item near where he started, but I had assumed he was guarding it. Thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

Was it a fire keeper's soul? That is what he is guarding. He drops titanite and/or his weapon and shield. The drop for him should be gold instead of the usual blueish white.

Well that's a shame, I supposed I must have missed his drop then.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What does the little bonfire symbol that occasionally appears in the top right hand of the screen mean?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Its autosaving.

Alright thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So the OP tells me to trade cracked red eye orbs for some purging stones if I get cursed, but I don't have any red eye orbs. How exactly do I get more?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Is there a way to get rid of poison or do you just have to sit it out?

There are items that cure poison They drop in the deepwood grove

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

explosivo posted:

Okay, so I'm in Undead Burg. My choices seem to be die by Taurus monster, die by guy at the bottom of the spiral staircase with a huge sword, or die by a knight. This game is hard :smith:

Taurus can be killed by climbing up the tower and doing a plummet attack, takes off around a third of his health per hit. Lure him to the other side of the bridge and repeat after each hit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kweh posted:

There are some in chests in firelink village. the way I got to them was to go up the elevator as if going to the top of the parish, walk off as the elevator is going up (onto the 2nd story so to speak), taking a right and dropping down when you cant go right anymore. at the bottom there are chests and one has the stones

I already got those ones, but I used them all up trying to invade other worlds. Thanks though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Where do you learn sorceries? I'm a melee based character, and I want to see if there's any good support magic, but I still haven't seen a single NPC that teaches magic. I just got to the Gaping Dragonp boss.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

So, um, if I'm relatively inexperienced with western action RPGs would this game be a bad idea? I know it's supposed to be hard but would I even be able to make progress? I skipped Demon's Souls for this reason but maybe I'm being too paranoid.

I was the same and managed to beat Demon Souls, so you should be good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Where can you get cracked red eye orbs beyond the four that you get near the beginning of the game?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cyrai posted:

OK, so I randomly seem to gain held humanity and I'm not sure why. I'm not using any consumable humanity items, but every once in a while, I notice that I have an extra humanity. What's up with that? Does it come from message ratings? What do you even get from message ratings?

I think you just have a random chance of gaining some humanity when you kill an enemy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cyrai posted:

This is held humanity, though; I'm not picking up humanity items and consuming it. Do you get held humanity?

Yeah that's what I meant, not the consumable but actual humanity. There may be a different reason for it that I just don't know though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Professor Latency posted:

The sword takes a ton of Dexterity for it to be really useful though, I have like 24 dex and the bonus is still at E and swings so slowly.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how weapons work, aren't the stat bonuses and the moveset innate parts of a weapon, and not something that can be changed?

katkillad2 posted:

I just tried from both bonfires to 1 hit kill the drake and it's not showing up for me where it should be. 360 uninstalled.

I'm glad the drake sword exists. It made the game go from challenging/frustraing to just plain challenging. How do you know if your weapon is "unique"? I need to make a divine weapon and I love the Estoc, but I don't know if its a type of weapon or unique.

This isn't a fantastic way, but a unique weapon can only be upgraded with twinkling titanite, if you can upgrade the estoc with something else it's not unique.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 7, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ovo posted:

Well after ringing the first bell I am a little stuck. After ringing the bell the only path seems to be go all the way down to the start and go to blighttown, but this thread seems to be suggesting that its hard as gently caress and I'm only SL 17ish. The only path open to me is to run past the demon below the smith into some awful wood with tree men who loving bite me in half, or to grind up souls to buy the forest gate key from the smith. Something tells me I am just too low level, I rushed through most of the place since this is my 2nd character, I wanted to check out another class and pick up the sword from the bridge dragon.

You're a little low but there is another area between where you are now and Blighttown so you'll have some time to level.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Could somebody give me specific directions on where the merchant in the undead burg is? I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, but the thread exploded since then and I can't remember where it was brought up. I'm past the first bonfire in the undead burg and saw a message in area near there saying there was a "saint nearby," but still haven't found anyone, and I'm pretty sure I'm close.

Leave the room with the bonfire, take a right down the stairs, take a left to an area with two spear/shield enemies. Break the boxes there to expose some stairs, go down them to find the merchant.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Where are these 'Depths'?

Go to the Deepwood grove and beat the boss of the area (The moonlight Butterfly) You'll get a key for doing this that unlocks the door in the watchtower before the taurus demon, beat another boss in this area to get another key that unlocks a door in the same area that takes you to the depths. Deepwood Grove is next to the blacksmith.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Curse-frogs really aren't that bad. I just phantomed for the gargoyles a bunch and cleared the place out with 10+ humanity in my pocket. I was strolling through cursed frog-gas like it was nothing.

There's not a single part of the sentence that doesn't make me jealous/angry you didn't share my pain. :argh:. Got cursed twice and had to grind 6000 souls for purging stones, and it takes me like 10 minutes to get summoned for a boss fight.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

I'm fully prepared for this... I think. I just bought 5 curse cures from the dude in the church before hitting the depths. Hopefully I don't get cursed more than 5 times :shepface:

Honestly enemies in the depths are pretty weak. After the second time I just said gently caress it and explored the place while cursed, then just ran to the boss door from the bonfire after healing myself.

Meme Emulator posted:

Spoilers after killing Capra Demon

I just killed the capra demon and returned via the ladder instead of the shortcut just to see if the Sun Knight would have anything new to say. As soon as I got up there the red dragon died for no reason and I got 10000 souls. What the heck happened? I activated the bonfire and the shortcut to parish while I had the chance (who knows if hes coming back) but do i have the possibility to sequence break now?

Probably not, plenty of people of killed the red dragon solely through persistence and a lot of arrows, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't sequence break.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

My wait might be shorter because I've got that gold sign. :smug:

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time waiting too. I either grind local mobs while I wait, or just browse the forums/do other poo poo while I wait for a message to pop up on my screen.

I feel dumb, what's the gold sign?

I pretty much do the same while waiting to be summoned but it's still kind of annoying. I'm hoping it'll pick up because I'm waiting around how long I had to wait in Demon's Souls less than a year ago.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's everyone's gear like, preferably around the level 20 mark? I have a suit of knight armor +2, a halberd +5, tower shield +2, and a morning star +3. Should this be okay for a while?

I just figured out you can buy titanite because I'm dumb, so all I have is a Halberd +4, Black Demon Sword +2 (I think that's the name), and a Hollowed Shield +2. I'm at around 30, so you should be fine. I also have the Elite Knight armor, except for my leather gloves to stay under 50% equip, all un-upgraded.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 7, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Basically I'm a less death-prone Knight Solaire. I'm a gold phantom instead of a white one, both in my appearance and my sign's appearance, and everyone gets a gold medallion when we win.

How did you do this? I'm curious. Is it a covenant?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanguard Warden posted:

Just trees and some golem guys, but nothing too hard. You can also just grab it and run.

Yes. The sun knights, as you might have guessed. You need 50 faith to join, but that requirement is lowered by 5 every time you kill a boss as a white phantom. Talk to Knight Solaire or pray at the altar in the garden under the dragon's roost when you meet the requirements.

Alright thanks. I'm gonna need to kill a fair bit more bosses to meet the requirements, I'll get started on that tomorrow

!amicable posted:

Ugh. I cannot beat the Dildo Knight. I am so loving fed up with his bull poo poo. The two hand overhead swing catches me every time, even if I roll sideways.

What sort of gear should I be looking to upgrade? I guess I might as well put all the souls I gathered to use.

Do you have a long range weapon, like a spear or a halberd? If you do, you can easily beat him just by staying out of his range (which is easy because of how slow he his) and taking a potshot or two when his attacks fall short.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So, at the very start of the game, is it bad if you accidentally kill the knight that gives you the Estus flasks?

Also, is there any penalty for dieing besides being taken back to the bonfire other than enemy resets?

I think you should be fine to answer your first question, to answer your second you lose all your accumulate souls/humanity unless you touch your bloodstain before you die again, and if you became human you'll go back to being hollowed.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So how exactly are you supposed to fight Ceaseless discharge? It doesn't seem to be possible to dodge its main attack.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Job For A Pirate posted:

I couldn't figure out how to summon Solaire even with a humanity so I ended up taking all day to solo the Bell Gargoyles with the Gargoyle Axe.

Also how do you summon people? I've been summoned by people but I never see any blues to summon others... to much level disparity? missing an item?

You need to be human, but other than that there aren't any requirements.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

From Blighttown am I supposed to go the Demon Ruins or backtrack to the gate that opened when I Rang the second bell?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

Backtrack AFTER you find the Fire Keeper spider-lady behind the illusory wall at the bottom of the stairs before the Demon Ruins and light the bonfire. You don't want to go too deep without the Lordvessel, which you get from visiting Anor Londo and will allow you to teleport from certain bonfires. It saves a TON of time.

Is the NPC that looks exactly like one of the enemy mobs in the area important? I aggroed him before I realized he wasn't just a generic enemy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

The egg-sac dude? If so, he's a pyromancy trainer and part of one of the covenants that you probably won't want to join if you aren't a pyromancer anyway.

Good, I'm entirely melee so I don't really care about having him dead.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stele007 posted:

I highly recommend you continue to kill the next boss because you get some really incredible armor that I'm still using. Look up the strategy for him because he's really easy once you know what to do.

Do you mean Ceaseless Discharge? Because I've already beaten him, I was just wondering if I should go down the way where Capra demons

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Has anybody here actually managed to spare Sif? I'm curious whether it's actually possible or just a rumor

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

UserMan posted:

Where can I find the second fire ember? I got my Zweihander to +5 fire but I can't take it any further so I assume there must be an large ember out there somewhere.

I found a second fire ember fairly deep in the Demon Ruins. It's in a chest guarded by several worm like enemies. Incidentally, I've being meaning to use them to upgrade my Zweihander, but I don't know where a blacksmith who can do is. Where did you upgrade yours?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Can anyone think of any reason why my White Soapstone wouldn't be working? I'm in Sen Fortress and I can't place a summon sign.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Too close to a bonfire/in a boss area.

No that's not it, since I posted that I've been wandering around and I can't seem to place a summon sign anywhere. I can't use my orange soapstone either.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im a girl btw posted:

I'm not really sure where I should be going next. The most recent bosses I've beaten are Quelaag, Gaping Dragon and that butterfly in the forest in that order. Any new places I go to I seem to get steamrolled.

Have you rung both bells? Sen's fortress is where you would go to advance the plot, although you could go to the Great Hollow then Ash Lake from Blighttown if you want (both areas are optional).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Helping people kill the gargoyles with my fully upgraded pyromancy flame is surprisingly fun. I dropped my lightning spear for the last guy I phantomed for, I hope he realizes how strong it is :3:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Buffer posted:

It doesn't seem like making either strength or dex your primary damage stat matters much in this one beyond dictating what you can wield. It seems like stat scaling was toned down a lot(few weapons with an A, very few with an S), and a bunch of upgrade paths remove it entirely.

Is that an accurate assessment?

After getting a character to 40 dex and not noticing much if any difference - I'm seriously considering making either int or faith my third stat because of that, even though I've never much liked spells, and making a much more balanced character than I would have in Demons's Souls

Also is there an equivalent to the Talisman of Beasts in this one?

You're pretty much right on. If you want to play a melee characters, ideally you want Dex and Str to be at whatever the prereqs for the gear you want are, and then pump the rest into Vit and End, with maybe a couple of points elsewhere (like in attunement for Pyromancy and Iron flesh).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sighnoceros posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to GET a fog ring when everybody you invade in the forest already has them? I sat here reading a book with the forest ring on for three hours, was summoned to defend 5 times, and every single person had a fog ring. The battle turns into "I roll around like a loon waiting for you to miss a backstab, then try to line up and backstab before you recover. If _I_ miss my backstab, I die."

I really hope the patch does something useful with this loving ring because 90% of my PVP experience has been being murdered by people using it.

Maybe I'm just lucky or something, but I've never found it that hard to kill someone who's using the fog ring. They have to drop their shield if they want a backslash, so just get a weapon with a wide arc and turn around and attack when they start getting behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Seemenaked posted:

I was doing a level 8 run so I could try parish pvp, and it's just plain awful. No one there has a clue what they are doing and there is no real joy in killing pubs. I am now SL75 and there is nothing to coop and no one to pvp. Where do the higher level folks even pvp?

My high level pvp character is SL73 and can consistently find people to invade at the second bonfire of the Demon Ruins, as well as the Duke's Archives. Demon Ruins may be better because I actually got invade myself a couple of times by other Darkwraiths and Darkmoons between invasions. A word of advice, if an invasion fails, just try again immediately afterward. A lot of the time I'll try to invade, fail, try again, and invade someone who I should have been able to invade the first time.

• Locked thread