Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Chachi posted:

If you start without the Old Witch's ring, is there a way to get one later on? I started with a pyromancer, but picked the Master Key and I'd really like to be able to talk to the white spider lady after Quelaag because apparently that's a way to learn some new pyromancies and upgrade my flame some more. I see on the wiki that you can trade a "sunlight maggot" for one; can someone tell me where one of those can be found?

You don't need the ring at all, you can do everything you've listed without it. You just can't chat with the lady in question. You get a "...?". Don't attack the egg guy in there either, he's the one that offers upgrades and spells, though you need to have been infected first.

On that subject, can anyone with the ring tell me what she actually talks about?

neetz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Looking for a little direction/advice from people with some late (possibly, I'm not sure) game knowledge.

I'm running a Faith build and having a fun time. Sad thing is, I only have two offensive miracles and only Greater Lightning Spear is particularly useful, so I'm supplementing with lots of pyromancy. I've heard that Rhea will teach you miracles if you rescue her from Tomb of the Giants (?). I've never been there but, by all accounts, the place is a loving nightmare and can potentially ruin your game by preventing your exit. Is it worth trekking in having not yet beaten Anor Londo? I want to erupt with the Wrath of God again. I understand she can be killed by that bloated bellend Petrus too.........man, this game can be a pain!

Using miracles has been super fun so far and Greater Lightning Spear is visually amazing but my pyromancy stuff still trumps it for sheer damage. GLS comes out tops in numbers of casts, distance and general usability though. Cast time is a little long but you're throwing a loving lightning bolt, goddamn! Karmic Justice is bloody fantastic too, a pretty situational Second Chance for the most part.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Kill him. I still feel a bit bad, but then I just realize that he was a terrible person. He abandoned his comrades and then would kill the survivor just so nobody would know. He deserved death.

Oh, so that explains it. That's why Oswald mentions him being drenched in sin. I'd totally roast him with Chaos Firestorm but I'm guessing that'd build sin....ah to hell with it, I'll light him up!

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Quick question: is there a cut off point to join the Gravelords? Certain posts make it sound like it, errr, might be kind of hard after a certain event.

And goddamn, how much does it cost to buy out Quelana, upgrades and all? She's in such a lovely spot I don't want to go back without having enough to get everything. Sitting on around 127K now and I'd guess I need at least 130 more.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I know boss soul weapons get a bad (and largely justifiable) rep but I've been having a lot of success with the Dragonslayer Spear in PvP. It's damage is quite bad, no denying it, but it works soooo well at frustrating people into death. Firstly, it's range is just ridiculous. You're near enough a constantly moving wall, poking people back into a safe range that they struggle to match. Secondly, I'm assuming you'd only ever really bother with it on a Faith build. With that, you have Vow of Silence and, should you be feeling a little dirty, Tranquil Walk of Peace. The two handed heavy attack does pretty great damage and is fairly viable if you've landed Peace. It looks tremendous too. I take God's Wrath with it but it's not proved necessary so far.

You're in trouble if they have the Fog Ring but I guess everybody is. Like all non strictly elemental weapons, it would massively benefit from better stat scaling as it's damage output without any additional miracles is awful. Probably not the most efficient weapon but man, is it stylish!

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
So how did you folk who did low level run throughs handle your character? I'd like to get a load of great equipment but use it for co-op by and large, maybe joining Darkwraith when I'm bored. Ideally I'd like to work around curved swords as I love the Uchigatana and Iaido movesets but it seems like an awful lot of points to invest to use them. What did you pump, say the cap being at 25-30. I can see a maxed Pyromancy glove and a lot of Combustion being pretty useful. I'd just love some tips and advice.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I summoned someone yesterday who had this sweet wedding dress type armour, I loved the look of it. How do I get it? Is it any good? (I'm guessing absolutely not because it looks nice).

I do love the variety of armour in this game. On that note, I heard there are armour bits and pieces that augment magic/faith/pyro damage. One was something from Dusk, I think, and I saw a picture of the Monk's Head Collar here so I assume that's one too. Any more?

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That sounds like the antiquated set, which you get from freeing Dusk of Oolacile. The skirt is surprisingly really good and has absurdly high defensive stats. I believe the crown in the Moonlight set you can get after defeating Gwyndolin also boosts magic. Sadly the Xanthous (monk) set doesn't have anything special about it I don't think.

Thanks for this, I'll try and nab it tomorrow. What a shame the monk wrappings do zilch.....still, I'm enjoying an Int build more than anything so far. Has anyone had the pleasure of Logan's 50 magic sorcery? If it's anything like the Faith one I suppose it'll be very disappointing.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
All evening I've had tiny humanity icons flying into my head for a total of seven free humanity. None of my messages have been rated and almost all of them have come just going back through Firelink, so it's not for killing things. Strange.

I finished my level 25 (though I did it at 30, being a baby) Dark Wraith run but just felt too bad invading people that low. I kicked it up to fifty and am still finding people with the Drake Sword though, so maybe this won't be much better....I've got over 1500 HP with my equips, so it'd be nice to see how that holds up.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I invaded a guy in a dark Anor Londo today and spent a good fifteen minutes wandering around before turning my Xbox off. Couldn't find him anywhere. As stupid as it sounds, I was surprised how dark Anor Londo becomes, it was a pain to make out anything. Anor Londo seems a fairly tedious place to invade mind, I often have to run laps of it just to find the person.

With regards to the Fog Ring, I think someone earlier summed it up best; if somebody's using it, they're relying on lock on more than you'd think. With the Dark Wood Grain ring I've had a lot of success using the mobility to flip around them and combust. It's still a horrible ring though, no denying that.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Bowing after you've beaten someone in an invasion isn't some appeal to honourable duelling or whatever, it's just a very quick, very simple way of communicating "Thanks for not signing out/dashboarding and finishing the fight". It's GGs in a gesture. Waving goodbye works just as well too.

The bowing you see in the Japanese PvP videos is because most of the fights are organized to some degree. In certain areas on the Asian Demon's Souls servers (4-1, notably) bowing or farting about for 30 second before a fight was super common. You'd even summon blue phantoms and see them watching through telescopes. It was silly fun! It may seem like taking the game very seriously but it's the exact opposite.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I'm in NG+ and I'm about try and get a certain weapon from a certain painted world. Really need some help here:

I completely ballsed it up last time. I took a massive chop at her tail with a +5 Lightning Zweihander but nothing happened. I kept smacking her with individual chops after that but she died without ever reappearing again. I figure I've got one clear chance when she's not mad at me the first time. I've got every pryomancy, sorcery and miracle available, most of the weapons, and all stat boosting rings and equipment for magic. Any ideas of what to throw at her arse end? I've heard about people using Fire Tempest but it seems really risky as I can't judge where the pillars first pop up. Maybe try a super charged Wrath of Gods on the tail? I have no idea! I don't even know hot to get her to reappear. It doesn't help that she appears to be so fragile.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Defghanistan posted:

The Demon's Spear does lightning damage, and I have upgraded it to +5. The lightning spear +1 still outdoes it.

DARK SOULS!!!!

+5 in normal upgrades? Well, yeah, it will. A lightning spear is in actuality a normal spear +10 ascended to lightning.

Or does the Demon's Spear take TT? My mistake if so. Hopefully the new patch will give scaling a nice bump.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The demon's spear needs demon titanite to be upgraded though, so its levels SHOULD mean more than the levels of weapons that are upgraded by more common materials. But it doesn't.

Yeah, my mistake, I assumed it was just a normal weapon. It speaks volumes that I didn't consider otherwise, given how bad scaling is. The only thing I've seen with middling scaling has been the Greatsword of Artorias but the stat investment is mind boggling.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Here's a question I could use some answers on; the Critical stat.

As far as I'm aware, critical damage determines riposte/back stab damage but it seems to be (on the stats screen, at least) a flat 100 across all weapons. Why is it, then, that a completely unupgraded Velka's Rapier does obscene riposte damage compared to something like that ginormous dragon sword? I tested a few others but Velka's Rapier crushed them all. It was close to a +4 Smough's Hammer, in fact.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

I think you may have missed something. We're talking about Demon's Spear, which actually DOES lightning damage AND it adds a parameter bonus based on your stats. So I'm guessing the threshhold for it surpassing the Lightning Spear isn't nearly as high.

I have a Dragonslayer Spear at +5 (which also has bonus lightning damage), with 50 faith (B scaling) and around 30 each in strength and dexterity (C scaling). It does less damage than my Lightning Uchigatana +5 on my character with 14 strength and dexterity, the minimum requirements, and doesn't inflict bleed to boot. The Greatsword of Artorias, with around 50 points each in strength, dexterity, faith and intelligence is still weaker than a lightning Zweihander +5, which requires so little in comparison.

The scaling based on parameters is awful.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

Okay, there may be legitimate complaints with regard to parameter scaling, but you're comparing a spear to a katana and a greatsword to an ultra greatsword. Spears do less damage because you can block with a shield while attacking. Greatswords deal less damage because they swing faster.

OK; the DS+5 does around 10 or so more damage than a lightning winged spear at +5 at the cost of 60-70 more levels. A lightning greatsword, I believe, does exactly the same damage as the lightning Zweihander at +5, which is 50 or so more than the Artorias at the cost of 200 or so levels. On top of that, increasing any stat that enhances weapon damage beyond 40 is pointless. The gains fall to one point of damage every two or three levels.

What I'm trying to argue is that lightning/fire weapons should occupy exactly the same slot fire weapons did in Demon's Souls, maybe with a slightly increased capacity to make them trump Raw weapons. As it stands, there is no reason whatsoever to increase your stats beyond the minimum for your weapon as, outside of being soul level 712 or whatever, you will only barely beat it or never catch it up.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

I guess my point is that many of the special weapons in the game are more then just the base damage. Drake Sword has that R2 attack. Moonlight shoots lasers. The Demon Spear has insanely long reach (and can apparently spear a ton of guys with it). Simply comparing raw numbers doesn't tell the whole story, especially if those raw numbers are split between two damage types.

I understand and welcome people overcoming shortcomings in weapons because they enjoy their movesets, most definitely, but I'm working from a largely PvP perspective. In this instance, raw numbers tell an awful lot, and novelty R2 attacks are a quick way to get killed. Absurdly long reach won't stop someone cartwheeling outside of a very predictable attack pattern and backstabbing you.

The Large Sword of Moonlight still ignores block I think (at least, it seemed to in the three or so fights I had against people using it), so it's a really cool weapon but I trounced every user because they couldn't match my damage. Imagine if they made it even better! It'd be a genuine threat and exciting to fight against.

Also, Smough's armour is the greatest armour appearance wise and anyone who disagrees is crazy.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

areyoucontagious posted:

So if I want a sorcerer next, I need to focus on Int, right? Is there another stat I should focus on? How many spells do you guys find yourselves going between? I don't want to drop 34 points into Attunement, only to find I'm only using 3 spells regularly.

You can easily get a lot of use out seven slots. I take Homing Crystal Soulmass, Strong Magic Shield, Crystal Soul Spear, Soul Spear, White Dragon Breath, Homing Soulmass and Great Heavy Soul Arrow. That's enough to get from bonfire to bonfire and cover any bad castings you make. It renders bosses on an ordinary game absolutely trivial and simply very easy on a NG+. You could probably do just as well with four or five slots (I don't find myself using Great Heavy Soul Arrow or Strong Magic Shield very often) but it's nice to have variety.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

potaties posted:

Can you get the corresponding achievement for upgrading an shield to +15? It says "weapon" but shields are in the weapons category, so..

Just nervous about chucking down a Titanite Slab since they're not fun to farm for!

I have no idea but if you want to conserve your slab you can (assuming you're on Xbox, there's definitely an identical method on the PS3 but I'm afraid the details escape me) upgrade the weapon in question, wait for the achievement/trophy to unlock without doing anything whatsoever, and then quit to dash. If you don't exit the blacksmith menu, the game doesn't save and on re-booting you'll be in front of the smith with all your stuff intact.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Akunin posted:

I've had excellent results from a fully-upgraded Pyromancy Flame and Great Combustion.

This is my go to approach in PvP for just about everything.

Elysiume - it seems you're really interested in PvP but have you tried just straight up Darkwraith stuff? At level 50, in Anor Londo, I can invade 10-15 times per hour. The fights are generally clean and simple and within a few minutes you're back to invading again.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Zain posted:

Is there any benefit for crafting Sif's sword pure over the cursed version?

It has two Bs for scaling in Faith and Intelligence rather than two Cs. It permanently kills skeletons too.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

The pure is from the broken sword right? I'm thinking of doing this on this character's run.

Yup, Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt, got mine from the former. I really like it as a weapon and if the patch works a little magic on scaling, I think it'll be really powerful if you like investing in the stats.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

If i remember right, the broken sword is needed for the cursed version, and a regular sword makes the greatsword.

http://i.imgur.com/9dQJd.jpg

I'm almost certain it's the other way around. I made the Cursed version for Knight's Honour last night and used a regular longsword for it.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Is it even possible to invade worlds using a cracked red eye orb? I'm 0/8.

I'm going to join the Forest Hunters again for a while, because their PvP actually works.

Join the Darkwraiths, give Kaathe 10 humanity and enjoy your infinite use invasion item. There's not a single other covenant worth bothering if you want to fight other people if you ask me, at the time being anyway.

It's a real pity because I love the idea of the Darkmoon Blades but the (seeming) lack of level restriction makes it a total crapshoot, not to mention the ring essentially being an invitation to be farmed by people in dark Anor Londo. I've also had around 50 kills as a Darkwraith and been indicted a grand total of once and don't appear in the Book of the Guilty anyway, so that's pretty useless.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Parry.

Has anyone been able to get Pris's dragon weapon in NG+ without one shotting her?

Yes, and it was a huge pain in the arse. Took three or four suicides and on the time I did it, she was one hit away from death. I ended up whacking her tail with Smough's Hammer as it was the only thing I had on me with a smash attack. I had to use Combustion very sparingly to get her to appear again.

It still wasn't as tedious as Seathe's tail. More difficult but definitely not as tedious.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
What's the armour that looks like a long, black coat with a sort of integrated chest piece? Anything interesting stats wise? I've played this game for so long but tonight was the first time seeing it. So many little things to discover.

Also managed to get a silly amount of Darkmoon invasions at 50 in Sen's Fortress of all places. Anor Londo was empty but here.....no idea why. Finally got a fresh Darkmoon Talisman, it's like casting miracles with a little neat handkerchief. I'm yet to even try Darkmoon Blade but I imagine (even if I had the Faith on this character) it'd be hugely impractical.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Thank you! It looks pretty cool, I must say.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

dexplosivo posted:

50 Strength allows you to one-hand the heaviest weapons

Smough's Hammer requires 58 to one hand :(. The weapon is so ridiculous looking, obscuring half your screen, but the results are so middling......if one weapon should hit you for horrendous damage per swing, this should be it. Scaling as it is, it's such a disappointment.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I've got a question about the plot or lore, more specifically I suppose, that hopefully somebody can help me with. I honestly can't remember it ever being explained!

Why was war waged against the stone dragons in the first place? I've always been unsure. When I hit the end of Ash Lake and saw the wings fold away from the eternal dragon I was blown away, so I guess the mystery helped my enjoyment.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Volitaire posted:

Problem with that is it requires the host to have a Dragon scale, which they forfeit if they lose the fight. The Red Eye Stone has the same functionality of the Dragon Eye, but doesn't have that requirement.

You don't forfeit anything if you lose so it's a free dragon scale for whoever wins. It's still a pretty barren covenant until you get to the end game area, where I found quite a few signs and had some fights. There were a few Red Sign Soapstone marks too but I wanted some scales so went with that.

It's a pretty nice covenant and I imagine it will pick up time.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Did you grab the thing the large knight was guarding? Little tip: don't eat it!

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I sort of wish there were a covenant where you could be called in to assist invaded players who'd had enough. Sort of like a special white phantom. I suppose it would be massively unfair to the invader and prone to lots of abuse, however, so there you go.

I can definitely sympathise with those unfortunate enough to get invaded on the way to getting help for a boss or whatever, which is why I just white phantom now. Any invader gets a taste of their own medicine in the form of an 800 damage Greater Combustion or two.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

How do I get the Blue Eye Orb to work? It's sort of greyed out in the equipment slot and my guy just raises his hands up in a "derp, not working! :downs:" pose when I try to use it.

You can use it while hollow but you have to be in a spot where you can actually invade. Lots of places are blocked from invading, like the entire first bit of Anor Londo, places close to bonfires etc. Just move around areas until it lights up.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Brian Fellows posted:

There are two things that have pissed me off in this game. The Capra Demon (gently caress him), and the Darkmoon Covenant. At least in the forest covenant sometimes I find people that are low level like myself that I can battle and I have a chance. Dark Anor Lando just has people that are a billion levels higher than me or cheap as gently caress. I've been Tranquil Walk of Peace-ed out 5 times tonight, and most people the ring gets me to invade are using the Ring of Fog.

I can't seem to get the blue sphere to work anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get some drat tokens in this covenant? I really just want that miracle. I'm about to start using the fog ring because I just want to get this poo poo over with.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me a decently easy way to murder the crow harpy things that drop the tokens. I can get there obviously but it takes awhile and there's too much risk of the one hit KO that results from them jumping on my head.

Never, ever, ever use the ring that gets you summoned! You will always be facing horrible odds and overcoming them isn't worth the hassle. Being summoned that way is an invitation to be farmed for souls, I'm afraid.

As for the Blue Eye Orb, what level are you? It doesn't work as frequently as the Red Eye Orb but I got around 30 before switching covenants. There are a few good spots and the Orb seems to be much more happy to place you against people within a similar level range. As for the harpies, you can run up to that spot in the annex where four of them roam and cast Wrath of Gods three times with the miracle boost ring and Crown of Dusk but it's really boring and requires a large investment in faith (which I'm assuming you have if you want the miracle).

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I did not think the Paladin armour would be quite this good fully upgraded :stare:. I left the legs off for the Antiquated Skirt but every piece of it seems pretty bloody amazing. I think it's impossible to be cursed with all this.

I wish the LSoM was Faith based again. The lack of (potentially) decent unique Faith weapons is such a shame.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I killed paladin leeroy and he fell off the ledge and I cant' get his stuff? Am I hosed?

Have you tried quitting the game, reloading it and checking where he spawns or where he fell off? The majority of NPCs will have their loot in one of those spots if you hoofed them off a cliff.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Zain posted:

So looking at my "Paladin" build I have to ask how much faith would be worth it? Is things like Sunlight spear really good enough to crank faith up to 50?

It's not brilliant. I don't have more than 30 on mine. That's enough for all the very useful utility miracles (Great Magic Barrier, Tranquil Walk, Vow of Silence) and lets you use Wrath of Gods, which I'd consider the best offensive miracle by miles. It's an extremely good offensive spell by all metrics, really, though its limited casts mean you have to be tricksy in using it. Not too much of a problem consider how fast it is coupled with its excellent range.

Faith is less about damage like sorcery or pyromancy and more about harassing people, which it excels at. Grab the Darkmoon Talisman, it has the best magic adjust.

Oh man, beaten pretty hard on everything.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Video demonstrating some of the changes to pyromancy damage and Iron Flesh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A65nGsUV2Hw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Hoping my +5 Silver Knight Shield remains around 80 stability.

I think it's 76 or so, which is still really solid. It's my go to shield too, horrible drop rate or not.

• Locked thread