Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Isn't he just the leader of a squad of like-dressed knights?

That and a bishop it would seem. I found it, it's the description of Great Magic Barrier, though it doesn't mention Way of White:

Miracle of Bishop Havel the Rock.
Cover body in powerful def. magic coating.

Havel the Rock, an old battlefield compatriot of Lord Gwyn, was the sworn enemy of Seath the Scaleless.
He despised magic, and made certain to devise means of counteraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
There's no need to Darksign as a black or blue phantom, you can just use the Black Separation Crystal. I don't think you're even penalized for it though I've read using it as a white phantom earns you a sin point.

Also Samurai Sanders, do you have Wrath of the Gods yet? It's a really nice thing to have when invading. Faith has a lot of tools to play with, I wouldn't be so hard on it.

neetz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 3, 2011

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I got a vague tip from a buddy to Darkmoon in Blighttown at 50-60 today and, err, it's been hugely successful. The place is packed with the guilty. I have no means of confirming it but it kinda feels like they've shifted Darkmoon invasion mechanics too, as in, in some instances I'm invading people that keel over to a single Wrath of the Gods. In 1.03 I always had people in a similar range or far above me.

It's not terribly fair, I suppose, but then the guilty must pay the price.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I don't get a trophy for fully upgrading a dragon weapon? Well that sucks. At least the Dragon King's Greataxe was actually worth fully upgrading, unlike most of the other weapons.

There isn't a trophy for fully upgrading a dragon weapon.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

I spoke to OnionBro in Anor Londo. I took care of the 3 Silver Knights. I spoke to him and he gave me Tiny Being's ring. I'm interested in his sweet fatty helmet. Where can I score me one of them?

Merchant in Sen's Fortress sells the entire set.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Graviija posted:

If any of you guys run into finalfantasy9817, whether he invades you or what, shove a claymore up his rear end in a top hat for me.

Aha, me and two others had this guy a while back. One of the phantoms was crazy loving good though, even with what looked like a +5 fire longsword. He double back stabs finalfantasy and during the recovery animation of the second one, he either yanks his cable or uses the Banishment Crystal. 'finalfantasy9817 has returned home' popped up. Every low level invader is pretty much a big, terrible baby.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Big Hat and Traveling Boots, Moonlight Butterfly Horn in the left hand, Moonlight Greatsword in the right. I started messing around with it as a gimmick but drat, those who recommended something with a little reach in the off hand were on to something. People seem quite fond of the theme too, had a few prostration gestures at the start of a fight. Worshipin' at the Shrine of Big Hat.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
If you have a Fog Ring equipped and stand where you land no skeletons will ever come to you. Strangely, Nito will also walk around in the other direction to get over. When he's over and alone just wail on him with anything, he's pretty weak.

This worked in 1.03 anyway.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I don't know if it's of any use given how finnicky matchmaking is but if any PS3 guys in summoning range of 50 have dire need of a Black Knight Greataxe or any BK weapon you're welcome to mine.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

Anyway, I'm diverging. If you're not playing a japanese copy your EKA is still nerfed. We didn't get that patch, at least not in it's entirety.

Yes we did. Every single patched copy irrespective of region is running 1.05. My EK has 46 poise.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

I don't know what to say. My EKA has 34 poise. My KA has 46. I'm staring at the numbers in game right now.

e: Not saying you're wrong but my copy is showing something different and my google-fu along with Mud-Chan's spreadsheet confirm my findings.

Double edit: This is on the U.S. ps3 copy. Maybe the XBOX version is right, maybe EU got the good patch. I don't know. But for me anyway it has the nerfed poise still.

That is very strange. I'm on an EU PS3 copy. I'll try grabbing it on a different character.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I picked up a set on my latest character and it still says 46. I'm playing online and co-oping and such too....maybe it's a European thing? Or maybe my values got screwed up, I have no idea. I'll take a picture later.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I have a PS3 copy too.

According to GameFAQs, the PS3 NA version is the only version to retain the incorrect poise values. Sorry fellas!

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

So the answer is, aside from OnionBro quest which I may have hosed up... (no idea...) it's incredibly rare and we're not meant to have more than 3 max?

I have a WHITE Slab. Is that not useable in a normal sense? (i.e: lightning +5 Estoc)?

Have you killed all the lizards in the Great Hollow? I generally get at least one there. I had three on one character. It's not guaranteed, however.

Failing that, what system/level are you? It would be difficult to arrange but I can give you one of mine.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, they're the only lizards that can drop slabs. Not all of them have a chance but a great deal of them do. As an aside, I personally found item discovery to have little influence on whether you get one. If you don't know the location of each them, I recommend this page:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/the-great-hollow

The ones that may not be there when you get to the listed location will eventually reappear by quitting and loading your save but it can take quite a few tries unlike the non-Hollow lizards.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Also, is it at all possible to get a second Blue Titanite Slab? A magic weapon was a good idea, but not so much the painting guardian sword as it turns out.

Gotta grind it from the butterflies in the Crystal Caves.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

And where does one get Demon Titanite when every area is cleared and all the Titanite Demons are dead? :suicide:

Edit: I didn't have a Silver Knight Shield, so I made myself a Fire Spider Shield +9. I managed to get one successful parry on him, but it's not a shield suitable for the fight as blocking one hit fully drains my stamina.

Black Knight Shield requires twinkling titanite man.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

Nice troll human being.

I'm with you 100% but there's really no need for that.

On another subject, here's a thing that might be with trying with regards to Priscilla's tail. In the Painted World today, I'd noticed a few phantoms carrying the Channeler's Tridant and firing off the buff dance before the initial tail strike. Every single time, regardless of the weapon hitting the tail, it immediately fell clean off. I even saw one guy forget to two hand his Demon's Great Axe and ended up clipping it with that slovenly not-enough-strength swing and it still came off. Lucky fluke or legitimate method? I don't have one to try, sadly.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

The Kiln, at least in my experience, has been a different story. A lot of people seem to go to the Kiln solely to dual. Hosts don't generally flask, people usually bow or at least wait until you're finished bowing to attack, invaders usually don't run off to the nearest NPC, and I rarely find a host with phantoms camping the place like I find in the forest.

In all my hours it's been exactly the same. Even in double invasions through soap stones and red/blue phantoms or whatever the invader not fighting will generally saunter off to the edge and just watch. It's not through some ridiculous code of honour or whatever, emoting is a fun little preamble. Dogpiling somebody doing an emote robs you of a good fight, basically. Anything outside of the Kiln is obviously a free for all but within it, I've rarely (come to think of it, never) seen it go any other way. It was exactly the same way in certain Demon's Souls areas.

I can't even get summoned for co-op without there being a massive round of gestures at the start and before the boss door. It's all part of the fun.

neetz fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 12, 2011

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

Hey so I went to great Hollow, quit and restart everywhere there where Crystal Lizards and didn't get a Titanite Slab. Is there one specific Lizard that drops it and where if so?

I really need it. :)

If you have killed all nine and one hasn't been dropped I'm afraid that's it. The only option left is the Siegmeyer questline or grinding out Darkwraiths in New Londo with a very low drop rate.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, drat I kind of figured that was the case. It's such a shame that there is so many cool looking armor sets in this game that just make no sense to use in almost any context.

You use them because they look cool. Don't be another to succumb to Mask of the Father plus Giant!

Loads of poiseless armours are very popular anyway, it's all about looking pretty.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Oh hey, if you have a Japanese PSN, there's a bunch of free Dark Souls themes up! There's one each for Way of White, Princess' Guards, Warriors of Sunlight and Darkwraiths. They're a little bit silly looking all told but they're 3D and do stuff. So if you want Solaire to praise the sun as your theme, go nuts.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

gravyflood posted:

Welp, just joined the Darkmoons.

Where's a good place to invade at SL64?

The orb ignores lower level limits to some degree so you can be a little more liberal in your chosen spot. At 55, I found Blighttown the best. I assume lots of people off the Dark Woodgrain ninja on their way to Quelaag.

The swamp is a pain mind, so I recommended using it a little into Quelaag's Domain and moving up to the entrance with some binoculars. You can see for miles. Half a dozen times the guilty was chatting with Quelana, so you can have plenty of fun with that.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

oneliquidninja posted:

Last night I accidentally told him I wasn't a new servant. The price you pay for slamming X to get through dialogue you've read to many times I suppose.

Anyway, he doesn't give you a chance to change your mind and repeatedly tells you to go away. So I had to kill him to get to the spider chick :( Thankfully it still let me join the covenant. I guess killing him doesn't produce sin with Chaos Covenant... either that or the sin doesn't count unless you're in the Chaos Covenant when you kill him.

He asked me the question again after a while. I think you just have to quit and reload.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
The Kiln or the bone towers in the Tomb of the Giants pit. Loads in the latter and close to a bonfire.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

I just had the coolest summoner though, he summoned me, ran up to me and then changed his equipment to match mine exactly. We were twins :).

It's the moments like these I love the most. I was doing NG+ Anor Londo in the Gwyndolin set and got summoned by someone in complete Anor Londo Firekeeper gear, right down to the Parrying Dagger. They dropped 30 Souvenirs of Reprisal and then did the prostration gesture. It was so sweet.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
The important thing is that it's a billion times faster than the Demon's Souls Wrath of Gods. It's probably the fastest offensive spell in the game.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
O+S and Painted World should do it.

I went around all the the very final zones at 58 recently and never saw a single sign. There were dozens in Anor Londo. The same has held true at 119. People just really love to summon, be summoned and invade there.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

gravyflood posted:

How about 65?

O+S summons teeter off a little bit at that level but you're still guaranteed your fair share, same for the Painted World. Duke's Archives should bring you some hits too, you get a lot of magic centric characters hitting that up for all the goodies and Seath is a lot more manageable with one person holding his attention and another smacking his tail. I've never seen a summon sign or been summoned at New Londo :(.

65 is sort of a middle ground between mid-game and end game stuff so you can probably get picked up in most zones.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
Royal Helm is the most grossly incandescent headgear in the game, no contest.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Feenix posted:

If I beat Seath but haven't freed Logan will I still be able to?

If he's in the Archives jail and you beat Seath he pulls a Lautrec and frees himself. Doesn't change a thing, so you'll be fine. But those sweet, sweet sorceries a little earlier!

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Locomotive breath posted:

I thought that you needed to have the Lord Vessel before Kaathe would appear for you though?

Nah, he pops up regardless and takes a similar tone to Frampt before you get the Lordvessel.

oneliquidninja - I like it! I'm so bored of seeing people cartwheel like acrobats that I'll give it a go myself. No subtlety, just smashing.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Level 36, should be spot on they money for Sen's, yes?

That's always firmly been Queelag territory in my experience. Hell, post-patch you can even get Depths summons around that.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Steven posted:

No. I have sl10, 50, and 120 darwraiths and Have never been outmatched by a super high sl opponent since the last patch. sorry.

I frequently fight people way over my level as a Darkwraith. I had one guy in full Giant's and a Great Club with the flip ring. I sent him a message asking what kind of build he was running and he was 121 levels above me. It's really not rare.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
I messaged him wondering what sacrifices he had to make to pump so much End. He died to a counter hit CSS. I don't understand why you're being so defensive when you're quite patently wrong.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
It's an excellent path. It's difficult to hit another person with sorcery but it serves a purpose beyond direct damage anyway and if you do end up clipping someone with a counter hit or whatever you've depleted a massive chunk of their health instantly. All the harassment you put out with flying blue poo poo pays off when you move in with the MGS which is a lovely, lovely weapon to use.

It's not particularly simple and constant misuse of magic often ends up with you backstabbed but it's a really powerful and rewarding build.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Ball Stink posted:

1) If, great, an entire build and attunement slot allocation built up around "if".

2) No it is not. What a joke my int build char is compared to my vit gouged characters with decent poise.

I never said its effectiveness was conditional on it hitting somebody, it's merely a bonus. Of all the builds I've taken to the Kiln I've never found anything quite as successful as sorcery in setting up openings, dictating space and keeping people on their toes. Perhaps I didn't use the other builds to their full potential, sure, and I've spent so long PvPing with sorcery it's probably coloured my perceptions but I stand by my point. I'll happily concede that an Int build is essentially a MGS build though and sorcery is there to support that weapon. My Int character is also Vit gouged with huge poise anyway, so I don't have a response to the second.

If you're doing well with your current set up then fantastic but my Int char is by and far the one I do best with. Horses for courses.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010
If you have a bow and some arrows you can just shoot the left orb. No need to have the necessary stats either, it simply needs to be hit to die. Just hug the left wall and continue on until it's impossible to do so (BoC will eventually knock out any path ahead of you). From here, you cannot be hit. Shoot into the mass of vines and you'll end up getting it after around 7-8 shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

EC posted:

Rhea: Super high FTH, no melee weapon.

When I did Rhea I used Grant two handed. I'm not even sure how I rationalized it. They're both part of the same covenant, I suppose. The problem is there's little to functionally distinguish it from a Leeroy gimmick but it does look pretty funny,

• Locked thread