Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
gently caress this out already? What's the goon census? I never played Demon Souls because I only have a 360, but wasn't this supposed to even better than the first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I don't seem to be understanding this, I'm playing as a Knight and I just picked up that shield that they give you when the undead is shooting arrows at you. I try to equip the shield in the left hand, sword in the right hand, but only one of them is every actually equipped. What am I doing wrong with this insanely basic thing?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Nevermind, I figured it out.

What's the point to shields though? It seems you can only attack with them, and swords do much more damage + you can block with the sword.

Brace fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 26, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

diospadre posted:

Put the shield in your left hand. L1 blocks, and it blocks much better than a sword.

Okay yeah, had that one confused. Are knights an alright class for a first time player? Also I'm at the part in the tutorial I guess, where theres the undead with the shield and the sword and theres the tips about parrying, but he just one shots me no matter what I do?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Category Fun! posted:

Knights are alright, but starting with heavy armour kind of teaches you to block instead of dodge, which is going to hurt once you come up against enemies who can't be blocked. Mobility is incredibly important, Wanderer or Cleric are IMO the best starting classes.

Parrying is hard. It takes different timing depending on what attack the enemy is using, what type of enemy it is and what type of shield you have.

Yeah, the Asylum Demon is kind of tough because he just crushes me outright

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Should I be using RB or RT as an attack primarily with my sword?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
And on leveling up, I put one point in and everythings great, but I can also put two points in going up to level 7, but then my Reqsouls turns red? What does this mean?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Chomp8645 posted:

Are you really going to ask questions about every single basic thing you come across?

It's a good thing you started as a Knight. They start in the Way of the White covenant and it sounds like you'll definitely want that.

:confused: a little passive aggressive aren't we?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I should be trying to block most stuff, and if they override the block then start rolling around and running away? Also I got to the mainland or whatever, came down the elevator, walked through the water a little bit and a bunch of white witch kind of things two shotted me, and I tried attacking them but they completely resisted... should I just be running away from these kinds of guys?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I didn't know your thread was so desecrated by people asking questions, you guys must be deeply offended by someone who just got the game not knowing what to do :ohdear:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So do you guys cast spells or put points into intelligence as something like a Knight or a Warrior? Or is it generally not needed?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Are backstabs always worth going for in melee? Or do you guys only go for them when you're confident enough that you know you can beat the enemy no matter what? I'm trying to get a general idea of what should be going on during melee, whether you should just be walling off and waiting for the absolute best times to attack in most situations or being more aggressive and going for backstabs.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I've been trying at the Taurus Demon, but he's giving me a little bit of trouble, mostly in that when I do a plunging attack from the tower, I land right on top of his head and kind of have to awkwardly fall off and then try to push my way through his leg to get back up the ladder, which results in him getting off atleast one attack on me. It's such a scramble to try and get away from him in melee and I always end up getting smashed for half my health +

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I took him down with the help of a bro who I summoned just outside the bonfire :umsmith:, now I'm about to go across the bridge where a dragon is allegedly, is this where you can get the Drake sword?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is there a shortcut or a ladder I'm missing at the bonfire in the Upper Undead Burg? It seems like walking all the way back up through the way you killed the Taurus Demon and down to the bridge is an inefficient method of getting back to where you were.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

mastershakeman posted:

Yep, the room under the bridge with the dragon has a stair that connects to the ladder above the bonfire, which you lower to make a shortcut.

Ok, nevermind I found it, wow I feel like an idiot for not seeing that sooner, I guess you overlook things when you have 0 Estus Flasks and you're running for your life and then you see a bonfire

How much better is the Drake Sword than say, the spear I was using or a regular broadsword?

Brace fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 28, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Polo-Rican posted:

A lot better. You could beat most of the game with the Drake Sword. Which is one of the reasons I actually don't like using it-it takes away the incentive to experiment with upgrading other weapons.

There has to be a lot of weapons out in the game that are better than it though, I can't imagine a weapon more powerful than most of the games weapon is so easily available so early.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Black Knights are pretty dangerous :asoiaf:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is the Armored Tusk worth trying to fight ? I have the drake sword, and I'm not half bad at the game but he's pretty scary

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to fight the Gargoyles, and they seem pretty easy actually, until both of them come out, I have one pine resin left, but it's grayed out for some reason?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

I AM BRAWW posted:

Use your humanity to turn human and then summon Solitaire (his summoning thing will be right infront of the white fog, if you've talked to him) and they'll be easy. Solitaire will just tank them, and you should just go around and wail on them.

I managed to take them out with no summons, and no pine resin. I rung the bell, but now where should I go?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Is the Hollow Soldier Shield worth upgrading? I have some titanite, and I'm going to farm for a while in that garden that mastershakeman just mentioned, so I'd be able to get it up to a nice little + if it's worth it?

Which garden did you mean? There's this big fat guy infront of locked gates, and there's the demon down the stairs.

Brace fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 28, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Oxxidation posted:

If you've already smacked down the Gargoyles then you should be able to get better shields than that. If you have the time, farm the Balder Soldiers (the cape-wearing knights) for a bit with a few Humanity points to up your drop rate. They drop shards and some good equipment, including a shield.

As for where to go next, you should have gotten a key at some point (don't worry if you don't remember where or how, I never do). Go to the spot where you first met Solaire and open the door there. It'll lead you to the next area.

What kind of shield should I be looking for? I have the knight shield, but it didn't seem any better than this one.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Are any of those shields(other than the heater shield) available to someone whose killed Taurus and Gargoyles? I snagged a Balder Shield but if I'm at a huge disadvantage I'll find one of those. Also, hows the activity on the goonchat? I'll just ask all my questions in there if it's actually active.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My Equip Load is at 40.0/54.0, that means I'm just under 75% Equip Load, which means I'm slow as gently caress correct? Is it even possible to get between 25-50% with heavy armor and a sword/shield? I'm using the Drake Sword/Balder Shield, and Knight's Armour.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

About all you can do at the point you're at is to increase your endurance or get Havel's ring from the knight at the bottom of the tower that you went up to fight the Taurus demon.
Also, remember that your secondary weapons that you can switch to also add to your total weight, which sometimes catches people.

I suppose another thing to keep in mind is that if you're looking for more mobility, remember that your shield is going to provide you with more overall defense than your armor, providing you're using it.
The key is to just not soak any hits (I know, easy right?)

Do equipped arrows also add to the Burden?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

PorkFat posted:

you get mask of the father as a random drop from pinwheel. ring of favor and protection by kicking the golden knight lautrec (if you've rescued him from his cell) off the cliff he sits on I fire link and reloading for the ring to appear. And you get havel's ring by avoiding his one shot wonders and wearing him down alone or in summoned groups if too weak.

these three things increase your carry capacity (or reduces your equipped weight) thereby making you faster by making it easier to drop below the 50% threshold.

Are these items people generally wear, I assume there's more useful stuff than just increasing carry capacity? Although I wouldn't really know, just assuming.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So do you fight the Knight Lautrec again later in the game to get his armor set, or does he drop it along with his ring when you kill him at Firelink shrine?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Speaking of armor, does some better heavy armor just drop off dudes eventually, or is it more obscure like the ring of favor and some of the other items?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
When do you guys usually take down Havel? From the wiki page he seems pretty frightening... but also sounds like he could be really easy at the same time.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
The way I'm reading the table on the .pdf in the OP is that you upgrade your regular weapon to +10 and then take it to +4 Lightning?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Oxxidation posted:

That's how it works, yeah. But you'll need the smith in Anor Londo to do the lightning conversion.

So do you guys use the Drake Sword until you have enough Titanite to take a Zweihander to Lightning +4/+5 usually or what? It seems like having a weapon with lightning would be amazing seeing as most of the bosses are really weak to lightning attacks.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Oxxidation posted:

I was never big on the Drake Sword myself, but elemental conversions are generally the bee's knees, it's true. Best to use them on weapons with low stat scaling, though, because element weapons don't have any scaling at all to make up for the attack boost.

I'm looking through the tables on wikidot, it seems like some of the spears are really really powerful, like the Silver Knight one, what do people generally use other than the Drake sword and the Lightning Zwei and the Lifehunt Scythe? I've probably seen those three mentioned the most in this thread.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

New Coke posted:

Every once in a while, it will feel like my character takes a really long time to respond to my button-presses. Like, he'll stand there for a good second or so before he actually attacks. He did it with an Estus flask just now. Suffice to say, it really screws me over. It happens infrequently enough that I couldn't really say what's going on sometimes and not others, but it's a long enough pause that I definitely notice something's up.

Could be your controller crapping out, other than that I have no idea what that could be. Are you using a wireless or a wired?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Where's a good place to farm souls that's right next to a bonfire? I'm looking to grind up some souls so I'm a little overleveled for the next areas I go into, and the Capra Demon seems like a pain in the rear end right now.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

U-DO Burger posted:

Drop down your summon sign with the white soapstone and help some other people beat bosses. You'll accumulate souls very quickly doing that, and it's not boring like grinding is.

Speaking of the white soapstone, I grabbed it from Solaire of course, but it's not in my inventory for some reason? I clearly remember answering Yes to both of his questions and receiving the item, so I have no idea how it's not in my inventory.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How are you supposed to grab the claymore when it's right infront of the Hellkite dragon? He just roasts the bridge everytime he sees you, which ends up in a death after two fire breaths at most.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

RabidWeasel posted:

If you stand (or maybe run backwards and forwards, I could never tell if that made a difference) around in that little niche on the left side of the bridge (which is a safe spot) he'll eventually fly down onto the bridge, giving you time to run between his legs and snare the items on the bridge (plus open the portcullis and get the bonfire behind him)

Welp, I tried that and he stepped backwards and one shotted me :suicide:

E: Got him on the second time, is it worth dropping your summon sign anywhere on the level, or only right infront of the boss door?

Brace fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 30, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Wow, so I dropped my summon sign in the start of the Capra Demon area, we cleared out the area, the dude enters the Boss room, and proceeds to try to run back through the door for 2 minutes while I fight the boss, and then turns around and tries bolting up the stairs while I died :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

mango sentinel posted:

It's like the game had hidden sanity mechanics. He couldn't take it so he flipped out and just irrationally clawed at a door through which he could never escape.

Managed to grind up about 23 thousand souls helping people out with him though, which was nice and made me feel good about my self :smith:

Are you guys usually under 25% Burden with Havel's/Ring of Favor and Heavy Armour? I'm at 35%, but I'm only SL27 or SL28 so I don't have that many stat points invested into anything really.

• Locked thread