Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm tempted to go for Deprived as I like the idea of starting with almost nothing, and fighting my way up, but drat that knight armour is sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yes, but covenants also provide different avenues to PvP, like gravelords, or hunting down and punishing 'sinners'. I'm trying to stay mostly unspoiled, but I do know that much.

Can anyone expand on how you get the consumables? I'm getting it's guessing it's certain mob drops, or something you can buy, and I'm hoping it's not going to be anything too rare. I want to invade as much as possible.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The multiplayer is really important. There was nothing like coming up to the bridge in world 1-1, in demon's souls, and seeing it covered in blood stains and warning messages. It just wouldn't be the same without that extra layer of human interaction which flows throughout the entire game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just beat the Gargoyle after what felt like fifty attempts. I know it's only the first real boss but dear god it was tough, it took me awhile to figure out the best solution was to just go crazy on the first one and risk everything to murder it. I kept messing up though and they kept both flaming me at the same time until I went mad. Still felt bloody brilliant finally ringing that bell.

I left my soul sign and helped a few people kill it and it's so much easier with a blue phantom, I was just stubborn and wanted to kill it by myself. I'm determined to get through this game without exploiting anything, or going for the cheap weapons.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

The best tactic I found for trying to solo them is to KEEP loving RUNNING. Getting in close is great when there's only one, but as soon as the second shows up, unlock your targeting and begin sprinting like a motherfucker. If you keep moving (at least with less than 50% equip burden) you should be able to outrun most of their attacks, and at that point it's just waiting for them to be in a good position to get a few swings in. Maybe they're both shooting fire, or maybe one's flaming and one just missed an attack or something. Just run up, get 2-3 good swings in (but don't get greedy) then run away and repeat. It'll take a bit of time, but it's fairly safe if you're smart about your positioning.

My tactic was to go sword and board when closing in then try to flank one , once I got in to the rear I switched to two-handed and attacked like hell. If you take the tail off he loses a few attacks. Always leave a slither of stamina so you can quickly switch back to shield and block in case he does a sweeping attack, or starts hitting you with his tail. Once the other one spawns it's all about killing one as fast as possible, otherwise they're just going to wittle you down until you get unlucky. If you've saved the black fire bombs you can kill one from health health with 5, so you can knock the first to half hp then murder it before the other one can attack. If not it's just about getting lucky and pinning one down long enough to do decent damage, without the other one interupting you.

When they're breathing fire they're pretty easy to run around and stab in the arse. Just remember that while you can block all their attacks, apart from fire, with a shield it's better to two-hand your weapon when you can, especially when you urgently need to murder the mother fucker as fast as possible.

Or if you want to make it super easy just go human and get a phantom.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 9, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How many people are you guys seeing online? I've been summoned once, seen zero summoning posts, and was never able to invade. Lots of messages and bloodstains though.

I've been summoned a few times and I've summoned a few guys. You've just to got to wait outside boss spawns and you'll see one or two, it does feel more empty compared to Demon's Souls though. I'm guessing people don't have the hang of everything yet, and not many people have figured out the advantages of being human, or just don't know how. They kinda stuck that de-hollowed bit in a stupid place.

VerySolidSnake posted:

I do not understand humanity either. What do you mean spend it? When I use it I only notice that it fills up my health meter all the way, but my guy still looks like a piece of beef jerky. How can you tell if you are hollowed or not?

You need humanity to reverse hollow yourself at bonfires. It's kinda stupid to be honest.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Turns out I consumed my first Firekeeper soul by accident (the one from Tower Knight Jr). Time to restart this character?

Doesn't it just give you extra health when you drink a potion? It be helpful, but you can just get it on your next run through and it's not THAT critical.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I have to say the depths are amazing. I was enjoying the game before but it was all a bit boring, I've ran through dark castles and seen dragons in Demon's souls and the level design wasn't that impressive. That all changed when I got eaten by a surprise sludge monster and then fell down a hole to find a scary arse frog with HUGE eyes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Who sells the cracked red eye orbs? I want to invade but I've not got to the covenent bit, and I used up my first 4 and kept getting invasion failed. Gotta love how it doesn't refund them.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do invasions work like they do in Demon's Souls and you can no longer get invaded after you have killed the boss?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

Those frogs are good eatin! Also pretty easy to kill and worth decent souls as well. Just um, be careful.

I thought they were easy until I got stuck against the wall by 4 of them :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jarate posted:

Thanks a lot, man, I appreciate it. That gives me some much needed confidence to just keep plugging along! :)

The changes to PVP have made different builds much more viable I feel. Now phantoms can't heal, and rolling isn't a get out of jail free card you have much more freedom to piss about if you're planning on doing pvp later on.

The only important thing seems to be focusing on lightning upgrade for weapons.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

According to the guide they stack.

I got cursed twice in a row due to my own stupidity and I don't think it stacked.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

That stuff must be trackable. I really hope they fix it and come down hard on the glitchers.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

So what's up with the grave lord covenant? I've set the evil eye's down and waited and waited and waited and nothing is happening.

The internet seems to think it's bugged and doesn't work in the first place.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, I hate that. It wasn't so bad in Demon's Souls since you usually got summoned pretty quick. I think a lot more people are running around hollowed than there were people in soul form in DS, because you don't have that half HP penalty for being hollow, so you don't have a lot of incentive to go human except for particular circumstances.

They need to go ahead and make becoming a human and invading more accesible. Zombie form should have reduced health, or anything, which makes human form obviously superior to encourage it's use. One of the early vendors should sell the cracked red eye orbs too, it's silly not having them easily avaliable as invading is a big part of the game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shalinor posted:

No need to debuff the Hollow form, just buff Human form.

If it gave you 1.5x elemental/damage resistance or something, for instance, that would be lovely. Or maybe have it reduce your encumberance (what with Hollow dudes looking pretty lanky). It'd be especially useful for mages, then, for throwing on heavier armor and burning down some of the more difficult-to-dodge bosses.

Either way, odds are good the devs are well aware of this, and want to improve things. The game is, as far as I can tell, doing really well - it should hopefully see some support. They won't patch haphazardly, though, given Microsoft's policies and the costs involved - there'll be some delay.

It just needs to be something immediatly obvious that it's an improvement. The option to become human also needs to be called reserruct rather than-de-hollow, and I'd say that killing bosses should turn people human like it did in Demon's Souls, or at least reward humanity.

I do hope they're up for altering the game rather than just fixing bugs.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I use the gravelord ability? Select the "eye of death" then drop it?

I'm pretty sure it's bugged and just flat out doesn't work right now. I googled it out of interest and most of the links were talking about it not working.

Oldstench posted:

Loved Demon's Souls, hate this game. It's pug-ugly and has awful frame rate dips generally right in the middle of combat. It just feels off.

I'm just so loving disappointed.

I thought this at first but once you've played for more than an hour you'll get in to the flow of the game. You either stop noticing the slow FPS or it improves after the first area.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pierson posted:

I think all of us have some small ideas on how the game could be made (even) better, almost all to how PVP items work. How good are From Software about patching games post-release?

They reduced the penalty for getting cursed and gave the undead merchant in the sewer a curse dispel item, so they seem to be aware of the complaints and willing to make changes for the better.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

freeb0rn posted:

There's a an exploit that allows you to use a consumable infinitely (so infinite souls, humanity, firebombs, throwing knives, etc.) so maybe he'd used that.

This seems like the case. There was a guy earlier in the thread mentioning that he got 75k souls off someone, do people really run about with that kind of numbers? It seriously sounds like more than just farming, and we know the exploit exists.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Does anybody get their messages rated? I've left a bunch and I've tried to make them useful but nobody seems interested in giving them positive or negative ratings. I'm wondering if most people just never got the orange guidance soapstone. In old Demon's Souls you'd find messages with 100+ rating, I don't think I've found one above ten. It's a shame as it kinda hurts the feeling that it's a big world everyone is playing in, and I'd also like the ghosts to be more visible like they were in Demon's Souls.

I'm really enjoying the game and overall it's better than Demon's Souls, but it just gets silly little things wrong which Demon's souls had right.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I heard there was some sort of sidestep you can do, like jumping backwards, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm I going crazy or is it actually in-game?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I guess if I wanted to grind I'd go Human from what I'm reading? I really don't think I like the decision to make so much of the game tied to being Human but then having so little of the game take place in that form.

It was a problem in Demon's Souls. Everyone just killed themselves rather than bothering with the risk of being invaded, and now most people don't even realize the advantages of being human, or just won't save enough humanity for it to pay off. I guess they don't want to force people to risk invasions, but that's sorta the point of the game.

In other news I just found out skeletons know how to parry. :(

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

smuh posted:

I've never played Demon's Souls but honestly I don't see why Humanity even exists here other than kindling bonfires. I've found so little of it that it really never makes sense to go human, the difference in stats is barely noticeable and after Sen's Fortress there's never trouble looting corpses either. Cooperating with someone is kinda fun but also makes the game really easy.

I literally spend my time being human just for the sake of hopefully one day I'll be invaded. I do my best to encourage multiplayer, I lay my soul sign down everywhere when I'm a spirit and rate messages when they're helpful, or funny. I'm just miffed multiplayer was so naff, it's a step back from Demon's Souls and I don't want to keep badgering on, and bore everyone, about it but it's a big issue.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's tough as gently caress to invade in Dark souls in the first place. You get like 4-5 invasion stones at first, and half the time they don't work and you don't get refunded. The only real way to invade after that is joining a covenant, which you can accidentally miss out on if you gently caress up. Why they didn't give some early vendor cracked red eye stones is baffling.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The catacombs are horrible. I think it's a mixture of not having a divine weapon and the finicky layout, but after dieing to the knight in the tunnels and not being able to kill the statue I've run off for now. I'm planning on coming back when I have more endurance so I can hold out for longer in the tunnel, and when I've buffed my weapons. I went in with 3 humanity and 7k souls, and came out with nothing. On to blight town now... yay.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

With the fog ring probably not going to ever be nerfed, or a counter introduced, I guess it's time to get a two-handed sword for the wide swings. I can't believe they've made pvp so messy, it's going to boil down to flailing swings and hopeful backstabs. Of course, the pvp crowd will love it as anything which alienates the majority of players is up their street.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

pvp is absolutely terrible in this game. I wouldnt mind if I lost to someone who is good, every time I died to a invader it is because he was a lagging rear end in a top hat who did backstabs from the front while none of my hits register.

To be fair that's not very different from the first game but stuff like the Fog ring just fucks things up even further, the combat relies on targetting. There's nothing wrong with stuff which makes you a bit invisible and untargetable from a distance, but all the time?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Colon Parenthesis posted:

Has anyone got the Eye of Death work for them? The whole Gravelord covenant seems hosed.

Yup, it's bugged to hell or simply not fully implanted. I hear there's supposed to be a special orb, which works is like a red eye stone, you lay down to infect other worlds. The eye things merely increase your chance to get invaded and aren't anything to do with the world infecting bit.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

If you don't meet the requirements for Astora's straight sword, will it still keep skeletons dead?

Wait, really? Would the thing that actually does it be one of the rank rewards then, maybe?

The skeletons stay dead if you don't meet the requirments, but it's not advisable. It sucks having to beat them down to a slither of their health then swap weapons to kill them.

I suppose it would be, I don't really know to be honest. This is all rumour and speculation, but apparently someone saw it getting used at an event, and it's possible that the japanese version of the game has already been patched to include it. Don't take my word on it, but it makes sense that the eye things aren't the right tool.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shanty posted:

I feel like I'm probably the only one who picked binoculars as a starting item. Those pretty views :allears:

They're kinda naff as you can just pick them up 5 minutes away from the firelink shrine. The views really are amazing though especially in the Demon ruins that place is big. I also keep forgetting that you can run from one end to the game to the other without a single loading screen.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 13, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yesterday I was intentionally getting myself invaded in the forest and having some pretty awesome PvP fights, the problem was I didn't recieve any humanity for murdering people. I thought you got humanity from killing invaders. It was annoying as I'd always eventually die, as you get invaded constantly there, and couldn't keep coming back to life.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

If you kill an invader, they leave a bloodstain. Pick it up.

I feel like an idiot now. I was always just in too much of a hurry to check. They literally invade you every couple of minutes, and at times I'd have two at once. Dragged them to the bridge bit, threw down a posion mist and activated power within, then stabbed them to death with a halbred. :black101:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sankis posted:

Eh, maybe it's time to restart. I really can't get into these last few levels and it's so tedious to get more humanity to summon people. I had the same problem with Demon's Souls. The surface areas were all really awesome. I loved the Undead Burg, Parish, etc but the more esoteric areas further down seem really tedious to get through. It also doesn't help that things like invading are hidden away to very specific covenants (that seem to only be used by people who want to farm invaders) or a covenant that is hidden away and very very easy to miss.

Before I completely give up, though, Ceaseless Discharge is kicking my rear end and I can't figure out the trick/exploit to get him to fall. Can anyone illuminate me?

The way I beat that boss was a bit cheap but it worked. After the stairs you run up there's a big rock pillar with a bunch of archways built in to it. Take the first corner and hide behind the big rock. You should be able to run out and trigger his attack where he tries to crush you with his arm. Just run back behind the big rock and then whack on him. Rinse and repeat. You'll die a few times but eventually you'll figure out how far you should be going forward to lure him in to attacking, and how far back you need to behind the rock to avoid getting hit.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 13, 2011

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Resonance22 posted:

I believe they do more damage when you have more humanity. Up to 10 humanity I read, but that was just hearsay. The guide seems to be missing special effects on any of the weapons. I still don't quite understand what holy and occult does (beyond making skeletons die for real).

I think that there's a weapon which gets more damage depending on humanity, but it stops at 10 humanity. Apparently, it's very powerful but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't seem to find the Fire ember. I think it's somewhere in the Demon Ruins and I've already found the choas one, but I want just plain old fire. Any idea where it is? I hear it's near centipedes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

evilalien posted:

Should be right near the entrance to the second boss room (the boss that looks like the one you fought in the tutorial). Right at the bottom of the large staircase, you should see a path to your left with 2 Taurus Demons along it. The ember is at the end of the path. Be very careful because the game isn't going to let you have it as easily as it seems.

Thanks! I'm very near that, I just have to get a bit better at timing my attacks against the big dudes. They're slow but they have so much range, it's hard to close the distance in time before their next attack.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't think anyone really knows why Blarfo. It really wouldn't make a huge impact if they just let you buy the cracked red eye stones at a merchant, or made them a drop. I'm guessing they wanted a bit more variety, like Gravelord covenent and such, but it doesn't work and to be honest even if it did it wouldn't be reliable enough.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Slacker Ace posted:

It does about 600 damage. My 850 HP Knight can usually live through it.

So I decide to run through the Darkroot Forest in Human form the first time. Right at Sif's gate I get invaded by a guy in Smough's armor and he 2-shots me with a fire spell even though I had an 85% fire resist shield.

I don't think I'll be trying that again.

That's unlucky to be honest. Most of the time the invaders kinda suck for me, and they'll sit behind a shield jabbing me with a spear or get posioned and run off to die in a corner.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You know that thing where it said dropping weapons and armour would spawn monsters in other peoples words? I'm not sure if it actually works. I've seen a really strange creature once in the undead parish, which I have no explanation for, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't decide if I love this game or hate it. On one hand some of the levels are brilliant like Sen's Fortress and the depths, but you then get poo poo holes like Blight town. I can't imagine how they thought it was okay to put in an area which slows the system down to a halt. They seem to have fixed some of Demon's Souls old problems like grinding for weapon upgrades but at the same time staggeringly ruined the multiplayer in a hundred different ways. The covenent system is dumb and doesn't work, and half the things just don't do what they say.

At times I think it be better to leave the game for a few months and then come back to see if they've fixed it, but I just can't stop playing it. It's addictive even when I'm not having any fun.

• Locked thread