Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is anyone else having major framerate issues? DS ran pretty smoothly but this game seems to be constantly at 24ish and then dips in any remotely open area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So what exactly is the difference between human and undead form? Do I get stat decreases or am I just able to summon phantoms?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress the motherfucking Gargoyle boss by the top bell It's maneater only a thousand god drat times more infuriating.

"Hey I see you got the first one down to 60% HP, let's send in a second one that will breathe fire, that locks you in place and roasts you, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it!" I have a +3 Scimitar and I'm two-handing the first guy's tail off and it's still loving impossible.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gary Dupre posted:

Thanks to evilalien's advice I backtracked and found my way around, managed to beat the Bell Gargoyles with the help of sun guy, but now I'm at a slight loss for what to do, the only path I can think of is the one I mentioned earlier with the Capra Demon. But I just get cleaved to death in 2 seconds against it, I'm at a loss here. My soul level is 18, using Drake Sword as my main weapon, any suggestions?

How the hell do you get him to help you? This would be a life saver, it is loving infuriating.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

You need to talk to him before the dragon bridge a few times until he gives you the stone, and then you can summon him before a few bosses as long as you're in human form.

Yesss. Thank you, I will try this in the morning as I died to those assholes about 13 times in a row and I'm at my limit. On one occasion I even got both of them down to <50 Hp. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pikey posted:

But seriously, how many souls did I miss on that boss?

Only 1000, he doesn't give you poo poo considering he's basically a mini-vanguard.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Krinkle posted:

okay I was stuck before and now I'm stuck again maybe... just got a fire keeper soul and a basement key after beating a guy with a huge shield and a huge mace. Am I done here? I don't see anywhere else to go?

Go up for your most infuriating fight yet!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't kill it that way, because eventually the tail will cut off, and to continue fighting the dragon you'll have to do it the manly way. On the plus side, you do get a badass sword when the tail comes off.

It is pretty much the best sword of its kind in the game that's been discovered so far, high stat requirements but its damage is absurd.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major spoiler about NG+:
It's Resident Evil style NG+, the enemies don't get any tougher, it's pretty much just a "take your revenge on the game" mode, not like Demon Souls' "hard mode" NG+.

The game is a lot longer though, and while in DS1 your stats only made a subtle difference and your true strength was in skill, in this game your stats and equipment can get pretty absurd.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm spoiling the game for myself and looking at all of the bosses and..holy loving poo poo. :stare:

Demon Souls bosses were pieces of poo poo compared to these. Some of the late bosses are outright loving terrifying.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wow it is bullshit that you lose humanity out of pocket each time you die, even if you were un-hollowed. I had 3 humanities and I never restored, a few Gargoyle attempts later I have none and I can't summon friends to help.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

I just beat the Gargoyles and rang the bell. That was a satisfying way to end a gaming session.

I know its been mentioned but remember if a monster/boss has a tail cut it off as these lead to weapon drops. This axe is too silly to pass up and I would hate for goons to miss it.

I just did this. I'm so happy. Too bad there are other occasions in the game where you have to fight two bosses, and they're much worse.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What the gently caress do you do about the skeletons in the catacombs? They take a lot of hits and just regenerate and don't give you any souls.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, I took on the Capra Demon

I watched a video guide of it and thought "Wow that looks like a joke."

What happens to me? While I'm entering the fog I get stuck in a corner and can't move at all, his first attack completely kills my stamina and his dogs gnaw at me constantly, not allowing me to move at all.

To make matters worse on my way to him I got killed by those loving annoying assassins and lost like 4000 souls.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I killed the Gaping Dragon and got the key to Blight Town at the bottom of the sewers.

I heard there was a hellish firery area in the game and I was excited, so I started heading down into the eerie green light and lo and behold: It's World 5 all loving over again. Poison everywhere. Little black demons that can inject you with high amounts of poison and ignore your shield.

Don't go past the sewers into Blighttown without some serious poison resistance and lots of poison curing items, most of which you can easily collect in the Garden/Forest area.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Also, it seems From Software really learned from Demon Souls and scale Souls/difficulty correctly now.

The enemies in DS were all over the place, world 4 had difficult but rewarding enemies while world 5 had incredibly annoying enemies that offered tiny amounts of souls. Now the difficulty curve is a very nice slope instead of a rocky road, you can feel the enemies getting tougher the further you explore.

God this game is perfect.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

So I'm browsing through the guide, and a few things I'm reading in there seem to contradict things I've read in this thread. The two that stick out are:

1) NG+ - Someone earlier said that enemies do not power-up in NG+, while the guide says they'll power-up up to seven times if you keep restarting with the same character.

2) - I read in here that if you miss a crystal lizard, it'll respawn the next time you rest. The guide says the opposite.

There's crystal lizards? I haven't seen a single one, I rang the first bell and just beat the Gaping Dragon and not a one.

Also, I saw someone playing through NG+. Maybe he was just tremendously overgeared but the asylum demon died in like four strikes from him and couldn't even take off a bar of his health.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MMania posted:

So if anyone's wondering what's past those sealed yellow fog gates, I'll fill you in. Pain is behind those. There is a boss where you will wish you had as much room to maneuver as you did in the fight with the Capra Demon. That dragon guarding the bridge? You will think back on him with fondness once you meet up with his big brothers. Innocuous looking enemies will withstand strikes that would stagger a black knight, take off half your HP in a single blow, and come in packs.

What's behind those gates? The real Dark Souls.

Could you spoil it for me? I can't find it anywhere. Also I hear there (major spoiler)are areas where early bosses are regular enemies

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

:stare: Holy gently caress.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gazmachine posted:

Hold out my UK brothers. A matter of hours left now until we can die. Well, until YOU can die and I can nip and dodge my way around.

Reckon I'll start as a depraved, as I think there must be some benefit to being able to customise everything from the get go.

Fair warning: Demon Souls is loving Barney's Super Fun Time Adventure compared to this game. The beginning is familiar but it ramps up really fast. That said it still follows the formula of "Tough and punishing but never unfair."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is it already in the OP that your first "big purchase" should be the repair kit for repairing stuff at bonfires from the Blacksmith (cheaper than the merchant at Undead Burg)? It really should be, along with the Blacksmith's location.

It's a lifesaver and since you spend more time spelunking in this game than in DS you will see your weapons/armor wear down a lot more.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So is there any trick to getting past the bridge dragon in undead burg for that sweet loot? I don't have a bow and don't know where to find one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How are the dark knights fair? No matter how much stamina you have or what shield you have their overhead swing goes right through it and deals half your health in damage, and they loving aim-bot onto you, there's no way to dodge it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Holy gently caress the drakes :stare: Is there something you're supposed to have to fight them or do they all just take 50 hits from a +7 Scimitar?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alectai posted:

Also, is there any way to kill the god drat Orochi in the lake below the forest? Approaching it head on is literally suicide, and the only other place I can see it looks too far to hit it from.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/10/04/dark-souls-boss-strategy-w-commentary-the-hydra?objectid=86623 This was extremely helpful for me. Not mentioned in the video is the pit around him, watch it as it's totally invisible and the biggest bullshit I've found in the game so far.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 6, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How would one go about making a weapon that is specialized in Dex? I have a +7 Scimitar and it destroys most enemies but I want to turn that B dex bonus into an A or S.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So apparently there's no way to make weapons into "Dex" or "Strength" focused weapons anymore so I'm just going to upgrade the poo poo out of my Scimitar, since it has a better dex bonus than the winged spear.

I tried going up the tower guarded by the Dark Knight behind the dragon and how are you supposed to one-shot the dragon? I can't even see it from up there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm getting further into the game and now I'm getting turned off. Demon Souls had the philosophy of "if you're naked and have barebones weapons you can beat the game with enough skill and within a reasonable amount of time."

The later enemies make me think "Wow I should go back and grind to upgrade because it takes me 3 goddamn hours to kill a basic enemy" and that's poo poo for this kind of game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, if anyone's looking to spoil the bosses for themselves:
http://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-boss-guide/?page=1

Page 2 and on are videos of every (major) boss in the game in alphabetical order. They also help a lot in terms of general strategy for bosses.

Also guys, I'm stuck in the Darkroot forest. I beat the giant hydra and the area past it is impossible, the tree people are annoying but the "bandits" and ghosts are loving tough and attack you in packs.

My friends tell me the area is later-game but it's either this or Blighttown. Should I backtrack?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kater posted:

Any advice for Havel? I can't seem to dodge his 1hit KO. Should I just strip down to my unskin? Also is the parish bridge a faster campfire to gy zerg him? I'm sick of running through main uberg.

You shouldn't even be dodging. Literally just hug him with your most stable shield and pace in circles, he will never hit you and you should backstab him every time, should take 10~15 backstabs. If you can't even block his two-handed attack you really need to upgrade your Endurance, he is probably the easiest NPC in the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Pretty much yes. He's guarding a ring that raises your defense at low health but you by no means have to kill him.

And by no means is that item of any use at all. It activates the defense boost when you're on your last bar(!) of health, so it will basically protect you from being killed by a butterfly fart and nothing else.

It will pretty much be the first item of its kind though, might as well wear it for a while.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Guliani is HOT posted:

Oh loving excellent, the wolf uses a sword. Of course.

What gets me is the loving metric ton of health that he has. I think "crap I wasn't ready for this fight", then I can't find videos of his fight that are shorter than 15 minutes.

quote:

So he's related to those sword-dogs from the PS2 Shinobi game? Awesome.
You are awesome for this reference.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nigulus Rex posted:

When's the next cool weapon (other than drake sword) that I can get that scales with strength post first bell? I haven't done the second yet.

I have bad news for you, they removed crushing and dex-based weapons. Go faith/magic and make divine weapons, you'll deal far more damage than if you just dip 30 points into strength.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYxicEEuGLk&feature=related This guy is a bit overgeared (some spoilers). It is hilarious to watch if you've been to this area and know how god drat hard it is.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah, they really hosed up the weapon upgrading system this time around.

That is probably the only thing about this game that's worse than DS though, don't forget in DS magic was pretty much putting the game in baby mode.

!amicable posted:

So about how much strength do you need?
It depends really. To use the majority of the items in the game you need about 14 strength. If you want to use things like the Great Axe/Sword, tower shields, etc. you're going to need way more, like 20+, and at that point it might as well be your focus. But no more than 26 to be able to hold any item in the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 7, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm sorry if this has already been posted but what do I do if my firekeeper is dead?

I have two firekeeper souls for her and that bastard in the golden suit killed her. Should I be worried about other npcs dying?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

He only kills her. You can revive her much later in the game, and there's another npc in Blighttown who will reinforce your flasks

How much later and what do I need exactly? I just don't want to miss it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

E: double post, sorry

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 7, 2011

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Ok so the holy property on weapons kills catacomb skeletons dead, but what does the unholy property do?

Say whaaaat? Oh man I am going back into the catacombs, I wish I knew this before running blind into that place and dying to hordes of immortal skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I talked to the main faith girl as an undead and now all those people are gone. Are they gone for good? I can't learn any faith spells?

Also, I'm stuck. I could go deeper into the forest but it has NPCs that destroy me, I could go into Blighttown but Toxin isn't the same as poison, which is utter loving bullshit, and I have no idea how to heal toxins, so the area is impossible, and I tried exploring New Londo but the ghosts are so god drat annoying and I ran out of transient curses.

It's also very hard to just run past them because From Software loving LOVES spawning enemies at narrow doorways :doh:. If I could find a bonfire in there it'd be easier but it's hard just running around in there.

Also tried exploring the valley of drakes and my character just plain isn't ready for that area yet, I don't have anything lightning resistant and the dragons deal totally absurd amounts of damage.

Where do I go?

• Locked thread