Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Just started playing the game tonight despite having it around for a month (Skyrim :argh:). It's a lot of fun, though I forgot what a learning experience Demon's Souls was in the beginning and payed for it a few times here. I beat the first two bosses in two tries each, I killed that big black knight thing and the guy with the club and shield. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then I get invaded by some guy with equipment so much better than mine that I could barely even scratch him and he takes down all of my stamina in one hit, then I die. I also forgot how much I didn't like PvP in Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I fought the bell gargoyle earlier. So I almost kill one of the two. His health bar changed color and I figured oh, he'll just stay alive at zero health until I kill the second one. I lose because I change to the second gargoyle. Round two, I kill the first one. :downs: I feel I'm making this game harder on myself than it needs to be...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've just opened Sen's Fortress, and I've noticed my damage has severely dropped off against the past couple bosses (I did 20-50 damage to Gaping Dragon and Queelag, depending on what I used). Now the snake-men take piddly damage. I'm currently using the Drake Sword. Any suggestions on an upgrade? I have a Black Knight Greatsword just sitting in my inventory, but that requires another 8 strength. I could use Iato with two more dexterity. Should I just grind for materials and upgrade something (I'm sitting on a halberd +4 right now), or is it worth it to get the stats for one of those weapons?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I need to upgrade to be viable in Sen's is the thing. I'll do that, Fiction, thank you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This game's boss arenas have a real love for the bottomless pit, don't they? I just fought the Iron Golem, and boss itself was easy but I killed myself by falling off the platform like three times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cgeq posted:

This game is all about bottomless pits. Seriously, I don't remember Demon's Souls having as many areas where falling to your death was a constant and real threat, but maybe I should boot it up again.

5-1 and 3-1. Maybe 4-2. The rest didn't have much in the way of bottomless pits, but they were there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Twilight Butterfly... sure was a boss! Thus far this place is hilariously easy, I think I should have come here a looooong time ago.

PSN is kind of hosed tonight, I've been signed out at least three times and I've had issues getting online in the game itself even when I am on PSN.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

You monster. Bring a good, upgraded shield and a fuckload of stamina

That's not instilling confidence in me. My highest stat is like 25. I've been a littler schizophrenic with my level up choices. Can't help it, what if there's a Blue Blood Sword analogue in this game? Where would I be then!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I went into Demon's Souls completely oblivious to everything and had a blast. I didn't know anything about this game but what I'd seen firsthand until I checked this thread (which I partially regret, but mostly it's nothing I didn't see coming). I will say, this game isn't nearly as hard as it probably would be if I hadn't played Demon's Souls.

The bosses were also harder. Most of them were still pushovers, but False King was a real threat, the likes of which I haven't seen in this game. Capra Demon was the closest.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Umberger posted:

Eagerly awaiting Ornstein and Smough trip report. :allears:

Bonus points, do it solo, melee only and fight Super Ornstein.

I've already been through Anor Londo. :ssh: I got to the blacksmith in my first try, then I got invaded and died. Worst part is, I'd not opened the gate and didn't know about the shortcut through the chapel so I went ALL THE WAY AROUND to get back to my souls... then he invaded me again. Same guy invaded me like three times (I hate invasions so much. Every time they happen either the guy hides somewhere for 20 minutes just out of range trying to bait me, or a guy right in front of me pulls me into the backstab animation somehow and I die. This guy was the later). The boss was a chump and I phantom'd for people for a while after I finished to farm souls.

Ninja edit: I thought that the only way to get to the smith was by dropping to where the dragonslaying bow was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

After struggling to deal with the boss of Blighttown, the escape from Blighttown (whoever put those three club ogre dudes on that narrow path above a cliff is cruel) and the framerate of Blighttown, I needed to wind down a bit, so I dicked around by the smith and tried out some weapons. I'm really liking the estoc, in point of fact, makes a nice counterpart to the halberd. Also managed to get Havel's Ring so now I can wear some heavy armour without fatty-rolling everywhere. I like this game.

When I got back from Blighttown the girl who upgrades Estus flasks was gone, where can I upgrade them now?

You can bait the ogres into falling off the bridge. I baited one at a time, ran back to the ladder and waited until the 500 souls popped up. I was on the ladder, mayber that helps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have to say, invasion is moronic. The game would be infinitely better if it was removed. The lag is too much, I'm tired of getting backstabbed in the face.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, Darkroot Forrest has an obscene invasion rate. I decided to summon a person to help me out in my run through but it ended up just being a slaughterhouse for dark spirits. Then I got backstabbed by a guy I'd thought fell to his death while watching my phantom and another invader dueling (they'd bowed to one another so I left them to it and watched from the sidelines).

Sif was easier than those abominable mushrooms, but it was a cool fight.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

notZaar posted:

Well yeah, there's a whole covenant dedicated to invading forest trespassers. It's one of the major PvP hotspots of the game.

I had no idea that that was a thing but it makes sense. I also learned that you can be invaded by two people at once in the forest, so bully for me I guess.

Is there a better way to fight the ghost things in New Londo than using transient curses? I was going through and then just as one was about to attack me, my curse wore off and I was stunlocked to death. I only have one left and I know that won't get me all the way through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SixtySix posted:

The female undead merchant behind those bars sells them. There are other ways (being frog cursed or using a cursed weapon) but both of those methods suck

I'll stock up on them then, thank you. What does curse do, anyway? I've never been cursed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, half health is how I ran through Demon's Souls for my entire first run. And I can already oneshot the ghosts. If I have problems managing my curse's timer I'll give it a try.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I beat Seath a little while ago and got the Moonlight sword. Had a few great sessions as a phantom and leveled a few times. It's going pretty well for me, but I'm thinking I may want to upgrade my weapon soon. What's a good weapon to change to from the Black Knight Sword +5? And are there any good weapons based on Faith?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

If you have the titanic strength (50) to properly wield it, Grant has an A in Faith and something good in Str if I remember right, plus it hits like a truck in general.

Sadly, I'd need another 20 strength to use that. But new game+ it'll be an option, since I plan on having 50 faith for sunlight spear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So I've got all of the Lord souls and am pretty much ready for the final boss. But before I go in, I've got some questions about new game+. Will my estus flask rank stay what it is? I've hunted down fire keeper souls (lost one because I didn't know how to use it properly...) and am at +4 right now, it'd be a shame to lose that. Do my items go over to the next playthrough? Do I have to put them in the bottomless box, or keep them on my person and everything in the box is lost? Or do I just keep everything?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Great, thanks. I guess I'll run around kindling everything later. I'll miss my lightning spears, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I killed the fire keeper in Anor Londo and Queelag's domain. Are there more than those two and the one at Firelink? I've already used the slabs I had to upgrade my shield and my primary weapon, but that is good to know.

The only covenant I did more than join for a trophy was Sunbros, so I could shoot lightning. Guess I'll just wander about slaughtering NPCs for a while. Feels like I should just go for the bad ending after all this.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Don't suppose anyone would be willing to help me with Gwyn? I don't think I can fight him on my own. It's my own fault, really, I killed all of the smiths before I knew what I'd need for the fight. I'm on PS3, soul level 101.

Edit: Nevermind.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Is it just me, or are there a miniscule amount of Faith weapons in this game compared to anything else? I don't think any of my weapons except Grant and two generic upgraded weapons get a bonus off of Faith. I was so disappointed to see that they made the Moonlight Greatsword int in this game rather than keep it Faith based.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zereth posted:

It's not obvious but it has a significantly longer range. Longest ranged bow in the game, I believe.

Yes, which is nice when you're like me and just keep a bow and hundreds of arrows in event of groups you want to bait over one at a time. Or dangerous enemies you don't feel comfortable fighting legit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, that's Havel. I really doubt that Dragon Tooth is standard issue equipment for his soldiers. :v: Really, all of the NPC enemies are easy. It's only tough when you have to fight multiples at once.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Just got invaded by some dude in full black night gear, I haven't even fought the gargoyles yet.

He dropped an indictment before he one shotted me with his lightning zweihander, what was up with that?

That happened to me when I first started, too. Very first invasion, bridge under the wyvern a guy with full Black Knight armor (though I didn't know it at the time) and a lightning spear. He just stunlocked me to death through my shield and there was nothing I could have done about it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wait, no. I'm wrong.

And now there's no content. Edit to change that: What drops Eyes of Death? I want to do some covenant stuff without invading.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Basilisks. The big eyed monsters that shoot curse clouds.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't positive they were drops but I had some in my inventory and didn't invade anyone, so I must have gotten them somewhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lautrec and his gang messed me up too. After they killed me a few times I tried a new tactic: run up the stairs, get a hit in, jump down and heal then do it again. I led them on a merry chase, but in the end I won the day. Shame that they don't seem to take damage from the fall like I did, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zereth posted:

I think Laurentius goes hollow because you tell him about this lady who he may or may not recognize as one of the first Pyromancers ever he goes there, and can't find her. Remember, she's all "Holy poo poo you can see me? :monocle:" the first time you meet her. He's learned that there's more to Pyromancy, but he's not getting it, despairs, and goes hollow.

Solaire I think is not hollow, he just hasn't had his brains scooped out and replaced with a connection to a PS3 controller, so when he puts on the Sunlight Maggot it takes over.

For Solaire, I don't think that makes sense. I always felt he was a little off in the head. He even mentions that people tell him that all the time the first time you meet him and he tells you of his plan to find his own personal sun. Then he finds the sun he's been looking for and loses what grip on reality he had to begin with. I don't think he's lost his humanity or gone Hollow, however, as he still speaks to you.

It's nice that they left this stuff up for speculation, I like that we can all come up with our own idea for these characters and what drove them to lose their sanity.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ShimSham posted:

Well, didn't end up putting it [Ring of F&P] on for Gwyn after all. He gave me some trouble but he was definitely one of the most fun to fight against. His boss fight pretty well redeemed, what I felt, were some pretty disappointing boss fights in the latter half of the game. Really fun overall.

Unlike many final boss fights Gwyn felt really challenging without it feeling unfair to the player. You just have to be really careful.

I agree with this entirely. I finished the game the other night, and while Gwyn kicked my rear end several times it's not because he was unfair. That's what I like about the series, it's almost never unfair. You'll die, but it's probably your fault.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

I considered putting him near the bottom of the list, but quickly realized that the Hydras posed more of a challenge than he ever did.

Hey, the black hydra was sort of challenging in that if he hit you wrong you'd plummet into the abyss!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, the generic Hollows at the start of the game are giving me over 400 souls. I get 1000 from Basilisks, and this is without the covetous gold serpent ring. I can get like 20k just running straight from the Depths bonfire to the merchant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chard posted:

I have never had too many dealings with Oswald the Pardoner, but apparently if you buy a poo poo load of Indictments he says, "Stocking up on Indicments, eh? How honorable *cackle*" (I bought 99 at once). Thought that was cool.

He says it even if you buy one. I only bought the one (to see what it did, I still haven't a clue but I've used it once now!) and he said the same thing to me.

Edit: HAH, I went to do the Four Kings fight, summoned two phantoms and then I forgot to put the ring on. Fantastic work on my part, really.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hot drat, a titanite slab dropped off a Darkwraith on the way to the Four Kings! I had no humanity and the Covenant of Artorias equiped, to boot. That's gotta be unlikely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ixjuvin posted:

Ugh I can't wait for DS to come out on PC, I really want to play but I don't want to shell out money for Live Gold again just for this :(

I've been doing an offline unpatched playthrough with my game-dev dad (basically to show him all the things he ought to be doing :lol:) and playing offline sucks balls. Not to mention unpatched, although being able to abuse certain things since fixed makes up for the shittiness a little bit.

Since when did you need a gold account to download a patch? :raise:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chard posted:

I'm faaaairly confident I haven't dropped any Lord souls in the Vessel yet, I pretty much talked to Kaathe and hosed right off the main storyline. I was getting 10 flasks at Firelink just beforehand, and got 20 after I upped my flask to +5.

It's also possible I never noticed before. I think in the past when I've gotten my flask that high without going to NG+ I already had the Rite.

You don't need to drop any Lord Souls in for it to happen. I didn't do anything with them until I had all four, but I still had the fully kindled bonfire at Firelink. You just have to finish Lautrec's side quest.

Edit:

Barudak posted:

Firelink by default is a 10 flask bonfire. Like all other bonfires, it requires rite of kindling to boost to +15 and +20. There is no benefit to completing the Lautrec Quest or Giving the Lord Vessel to Frampt other than being a monster.

I never kindled Firelink and had 20 uses from the flask when I rested there, so I don't think that's true.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Chaos Servant can be levelled up in offline mode, since it just requires donating liquid humanity to the covenant leader, and it doesn't matter how you get it. You'll need a lot of humanity - 30 at least - to get the highest tier of rewards at rank +2, but you can farm solid humanity if you know where to look, and you get a couple of nice pyromancies out of it.

Aside from that, Way of White and Princess Guard have no levels to gain, but no real useful benefits for offline players, especially if you're not using a faith build.

Every Covenant except Forest Hunter (and Way of the White, which has no levels) can be leveled in offline, it just requires a little grinding. For all of the items you'll need 60 humanity (rats), 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal (harpies), 30 dragon scales (drakes), 10 Eyes of Death (basilisks) and 10 sunlight medals (found in chests and given by Solaire and Lautrec). You can get the items the Forest Protector gives you in other ways so it's not necessary ever PVP, which is nice because I detest the PVP in this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I swear by my Iaito +15. It's not nearly as effective as the greatweapon stagger builds these days, but if you proc the bleed effect you can seriously throw people off guard.

I want to do a FTH heavy run, but I'm kind of at a loss. There are no good FTH weapons, the only weapons that scale A with +5 occult are Club and Large Club, most everything else maxes at C or B. INT guys have Enchanted and Moonlight Greatsword, FTH has...I dunno, Grant?

Also why does E scaling exist at all? It gives you something like 1 point of damage per 10 levels of the appropriate stat.

Yeah, I chose to go with Faith and there's just nothing to use. I pumped Strength to 50 for Grant, and honestly I'm better off just sticking with the Black Knight Greataxe +5 I made while grinding. It's almost as strong, much faster and doesn't have a split damage so I do about the same per hit either way (or did at 30 Faith, we'll see what happens once I hit 50 for the Sunlight Spear). I really wish they'd kept the Moonlight Greatsword a Faith weapon, like it was in Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder why they didn't let one stat give you an amazing weapon, magic defense, magic attack, and magic slots like Faith did in Demon Souls :v:

You only had one offensive Faith spell and you needed those slots for Second Chance. Magic was more versatile an offensive choice in Demon's Souls. And that's not the point! The point is that there are no good weapon choices for you if you want to go with Faith. Grant and the Darkmoon Bow are the only unique weapons I can think of that use Faith.

• Locked thread