Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thanks for the OP it looks great.

Been checking out the soundtrack and there are some really great pieces. Like this one. I like that the Souls games leave the music for the boss fights, and just go with ambient noise for the levels. Makes the tracks seem more powerful when you don't hear them all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Scyron posted:

I hope there is something cool like old king doran's armor. That was my favorite armor and I'll be damned if anyone says it gimped my guy.

Gimp your guy? That's like the best armor in the game.

quote:

Am I correct in thinking there is some sort of quasi-roman Lion/worlf mask type armor? I only saw a brief glimpse of it in the trailer but it has a cool spartan like mohawk. It is the all saints day trailer @ 50 second mark.

That's actually a boss. You may be able to get his armor, but I haven't seen it in any of the game play I've watched.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Darth Windu posted:

The biggest mistake in this game so far, that I can see, is that it takes forever to get an item that allows you to leave messages on the ground. I believe Samurai Sanders said he got fifteen or so hours in before he found it. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I saw a guy in a stream get it really early. Its on the way to the first belltower. There is a set of stairs that's hidden by barrels, down it is a merchant that will set it too you for a few thousand souls.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cocks on the Rocks posted:

maybe someone can give tips or a faq on how to find what stores in your area are breaking the street date

There's not really a science to it. Go to places that are not chains, or do not specialize in selling video games. The idea is that they put them on the shelves because they don't know they are suppose to hold them till Tuesday, or they just don't care.

Schwartzcough posted:

Any idea what benefit giving this person the Pendant gets you? Fancy equipment or spells, or just some extra lines of dialogue?

Also, any idea what the Witch's Ring is for? That was another of the "no known uses" gifts.

I think someone mentioned that the Pendant is given to an NPC to gain approval within the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant. You need the witch's ring in order to speak with members of the Chaos Servant covenant, who sell items. Apparently you can find one somewhere so it isn't necessary to start with it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any clear way to check which covenant I am in? I mean, for one of the NPCs (the guy in the bell tower who handles the book of the guilty) it says "break covenant" instead of "join covenant", so I assume it is his, but he never said which one he was with, don't even remember ever signing on with him. Is there some default covenant you start in?

The knight and cleric start out in the Way of White covenant. Did you start as one of those classes?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, knight. So that suspicious looking guy dressed all in black is with the Way of the White?

I can't say for sure, but from what you describe his purpose might be to reset the covenant you're currently in.

E: make you covenant neutral so to speak.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dear Watson posted:

So if your block and attack are the shoulder buttons, what are the triggers mapped to do?

I often forget about the shoulder buttons since I hate them so much.

L trigger is parry, R trigger is strong attack.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Someone mentioned a few pages ago that you're suppose to flick the stick twice in succession to switch. Those with the game should try that out and confirm/deny.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Neo Rasa posted:

That someone is totally wrong you just flick the stick once left or right to switch to an enemy to the left or right.

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I have to flick the stick twice, been doing it plenty in this area with all the loving ghosts

Uh huh glad we could reach a consensus.

Just so we are clear, the difference between a flick and a press is that when flicking, the stick has to be quickly returned to the default position correct? And what you're saying Neo is that, unlike in DeS, that actually matters?

\/\/\/ Yes. It's sometime after you ring the bells

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 3, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NESguerilla posted:

Just trying to get through Demon's 1 more time and it seems almost un-doable on my own as a melee guy without a bunch of unnecessary grinding at this point in time do to trolls. Like, king allant is a loving joke and I sure as hell can't summon anyone because there is 100% chance I will get invaded by some PVP fag with ridiculous unbalanced gear.

it's amazing to me that this game has caused people to literally spend dozens if not hundreds of hours building characters that will make the fight completely unfair. What kind of sad individual puts that much effort into an endeavor like that? I really hope people aren't able to do this in Dark Souls.

Well it actually doesn't take very long assuming that you use the dupe trick (they probably have). Making a low level BBS ganker takes like no time at all and doesn't even require duping or farming or anything. Trolling noobs in Demon's Souls is quite a fun pass time, and I assume and hope it'll be the same in Dark Souls.

What's your souls level? Maybe I can help you. :unsmigghh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nalk posted:

Just a Souls noob question from someone who relied far too much on the wiki in my first playthrough of the original. Are the damage bonuses from weapons that are based on stats communicated by the S, A, B etc. grade on the stat screen? Is it the same in Dark Souls? I just want to make sure I completely understand how this works before I jump into this one blind.

Ya you got it right.

I can't believe I'm going to get this game tonight and I still haven't decided what class I'm gonna start as. Thinking thief with the pendant, or maybe deprived.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Nearly 100 people at my local Gamestop's midnight release. I was the only one there for Dark Souls. :smith:

I may see the sun come up tonight.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Darth Windu posted:

It feels...stiffer. The attacks are all different - I was an expert with the longsword in Demon Souls, but this is taking some getting used to. Just the addition of the leaping attack and kick are throwing me off...what is the kick even for? It doesn't seem to break shields like it did in DeS.

Gonna agree with this. I wouldn't say it feels stiff, but compared to DeS everything feels a little slower. Definitely need to be a little more deliberate when it comes to attacks and rolls.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ErIog posted:

Make sure you're not making the mistake of comparing your high level DeS character to your current low level DaS character. The combat feels pretty much exactly the same in my opinion save for the deliberate changes in controls/abilities they made.

Its just the little things that take some getting used too. For instance, the 2-handed longsword R1 combo is essentially the same as in DeS, but the downward strike takes like a half second longer.

Regardless, I'm loving it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So the Book of the Guilty is pretty awesome. You can see full stat pages of the players, including all their equipment and spells. Pretty fun checking out the most infamous player's builds.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Krinkle posted:

when I first played demon's souls a year and a half ago, maybe? When I replayed it earlier this year I didn't have nearly so many problems.all I want to know is if the game will actually notify me this time when connection to the DS server is lost

I'm a little confused. In DeS and DaS if you're in online mode and you lose connection it should boot you too the start menu.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Darth Windu posted:

Thank you, whoever put a "sniper spot" and "weakness: tail" near the dragon. Thank you. Thank you. God bless you and keep you.

You're welcome. :)

Seriously the framerate is Blightown is rough as hell. Is this something that they can patch out? So far its the only negative thing I have to say.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
drat this thread is moving.

Just got to Sen's Fortress, and my weapons are no longer cutting it. I'm hesitant to invest a bunch in upgrading when I don't really understand how it works, but it seems necessary. Any suggestions/info on upgrading?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Phoix posted:

What weapons are you people using around Sen's Fortress? I'm still using the Drake Sword because even after upgrades nothing I have hits as hard with as much speed. It still feels really weak for the enemies I'm fighting, though. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to switch to something else now or if I'm just supposed to feel really weak at this point.

I was using the Drake Sword up until Sen's as well. Explore the fortress a little bit and you'll find a mimic that will drop a sweet rear end lightning spear. That should last you till you make something better.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Funkmaster General posted:

Okay, I had to give up last night after several runs through blighttown. Please tell me I'm just missing something here. I found the first bonfire, and:

1) I can't go backward. I thought I'd retreat back to firelink and grind in the forest for a ton of purple moss, but the path back seems to have closed up. I don't remember how it went, because I was so tired at that point (game won't let me sleep!), but I suspect I jumped down a ledge with no ladder back up?

2) There's no bonfire for like 30 minutes worth of a trek through the town, then through a swamp. I eventually reach a conveyor belt heading up, and there's signs all over that say "bonfire ahead," but I always either fall off trying to get off at the top, or shortly thereafter get hit with a toxin dart (with no healing items or estus left), and there doesn't seem to be a bonfire up there either.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to backtrack out, but I can't be sure. The ladders are easy to miss.

In the swamp look for a tunnel archway near the start of the path leading to the conveyor belt. Inside is a bonfire, and further down the path is an Estus flask upgrade item. If you take the conveyor belt up, and then climb a bunch more ladders, then fight through some more fattys you'll find the path to Valley of the Drakes which will lead back to Firelink.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Funkmaster General posted:

Wait, so the conveyor belt isn't leading me to the bell? Where am I supposed to be going then?

Also, gently caress those fat things forever and ever. How do you even poison a club in the first place?

The bell is even further down. Coming from the conveyor belt look right and you'll see a mountain of sand, branches, spiderwebs. That is your destination, but watch out for the guys throwing boulders at you. Just follow the path, fight the boss and you'll get to the bell.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nigulus Rex posted:

Can I get humanity from things if I dump them off a cliff or do I have to pillage their corpse?

Sometimes humanity isn't in solid form and you'll just get it after the kill. Most times you have to loot it from the corpse.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

can i summon white knight dude to help me with the gargoyles? how?

Be in body form, look for his soul sign right before the fog wall.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

qbert posted:

Yes, this is correct. Getting high dex/endurance to do flips is a myth. You can only do it via the ring.

Along these lines, I'm not seeing any evidence that strength increases swing speed. It doesn't say anything about it in the guide, and the only thing about it on the wiki is unconfirmed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crowbear posted:

Guys I'm torn.

Do I wait a bit and join the Gravelord covenant so I can gently caress with people that way? Or do I join the Path to the Dragon so I can murder dudes and steal their dragon scales and also turn into a motherfucking dragon-man?

They both sound so appealing :ohdear:

Here's the thing about the Dragon covenant: the Dragon Eye Stone they give you too invade people sucks rear end. It works like the Red Eye Stone in DeS meaning that the host has to agree to be invaded. So the requirements of the host are:

-Must not have beaten the boss in the area
-In body form
-Within the invader's soul range
-Have a Dragon Scale in their inventory
-Finally, they have to agree to be invaded by activating the soul sign

I tried to use it in a bunch of places and no one bit. And why would they? They're in an area they haven't beaten yet, so why would they run the risk of dying and losing a Dragon Scale. Very underwhelming.

On the plus side you get to look like a loving dragon and you get some unique abilities and poo poo. Just don't join for the multiplayer aspect because it probably won't come up to often.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What's hilarious is that the one covenant that actually allows for unlimited, unrestricted invasions is extremely hard to get in your first playthrough. To join the Darkwraiths you have to beat the boss of the Abyss before you talk to Gwynevere and get the Lordvessel.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

It's kinda unbelievable to me that everyone is unanimously declaring this better than Demon's Souls, but I guess that just means the online play element is only important to a small niche. Also this is unfair since Demon's Souls was a brand new novel experience and Dark Souls is just building upon the existing gameplay mechanics, but I've still yet to experience anything in Dark Souls that remotely compares to the first time entering 3-1 in Demon's Souls.

Let's not write off the multiplayer so quickly. The game just launched its too early to tell.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wish there was a vendor who sold humanity and never ran out of it. I really need some right now. If they sold it at 20k a pop I'd still take that as a deal.

I think Patches does for 10k, but if you missed him then you'll have to wait till NG+.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schubalts posted:

Huh, it didn't seem broken to me, I'm one-shotting guys that took 2 longsword hits (both unupgraded). I'll just leave the skeletons alone for now, though.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but it could be that people are seeing 80/80 and expecting it to hit for around 160. But weapons that have two different damage types suffer from having to contended with two difference defense types, thus lowing the damage significantly. Or it could be bugged.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Whoa has this been posted yet?

Namco Bandi posted:

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.

Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):

The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.

The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.

The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etc…) in the host’s world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.

The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a host’s world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.

After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed.

Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.

Emphasis mine. Even the guide says its 10+/- levels, this is the first I've heard of 10%. That makes the window of opportunity a hell of a lot smaller, especially in the early game. Seems like if you're having trouble finding someone to summon/be summoned you're probably in an underpopulated lobby.

Sorry if this is a re-post, I haven't read the whole thread.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Beans posted:

I think that is how it worked for demon souls too.

Is there any way to vote players as good or lovely like in demon souls?

It definitely is not. The level range requirements relaxed the higher your level, but the minimum was always 10.

No there doesn't seem to be a rating system anymore. Best you can do is report invaders with indictments.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kweh posted:

Ok so any tips on how to fight Crossbreed Priscilla? She goes invisible and I can survive for a good 10 minutes while randomly swinging but still havent been able to do it. is there a way to make her visible?

Look for her foot prints in the snow.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you think there'd be a hint?:

The flip speed is always the same as far as I can tell.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Question about the Nito boss fight: Is there a way to kill his skeleton minions without a divine weapon? Am I really gonna have to go all the way up, make a divine weapon and come all the way back down?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Valkrye posted:

So what am I meant to be doing in Blighttown?

I've gone through the whole area and actually ended up at the valley of drakes shortcut but didn't find anything useful in the zone itself, are there bosses down their and if so where abouts?

(Also I loving hate this zone)

At the bottom, in the swamp, look for what looks like a mountain of sand, branches and spider webs. That is your destination.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is useful for me too, so thanks. I just hit the bottom myself, and found the bonfire there. Is the large platform contraption useful in some way? It is labeled as shortcut.

Ya it'll take you too the Valley of Drakes, which is just a hop and a skip to New Londo where you can ride the lift back to Firelink.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jimbot posted:

Is there a reason why those headless statue demons in the second tar pit to the right of the first walkway with the swinging guillotines are a million times tougher than the ones in the tar pit right underneath that area? Those ones took no real effort to destroy but the other two have a trillion health and do as much damage. Are they guarding anything worthwhile?

They get progressively harder depending on where you find them. The one guarding the entrance to the forest is weak, those in Sen's are medium and there are some harder ones later. They aren't guarding anything that good, but the ore they drop is very valuable for upgrading unique weapons.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vanguard Warden posted:

Am I missing something, or are there no loving bonfires in the catacombs? I made it all way to the wheel skeletons and haven't found more than the first.

There is one but its hidden behind a fake wall. Remember the lever you pushed to make the spikey walkway turn? Well right down that ladder to the right IIRC is the secret wall. There should be a trapped maiden statue right next to it. Hit the wall and the bonfire should be right through there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^ Wait until he lands then own him.

Lagos posted:

So I decided to go with magic spear (as opposed to sword or "spear and magic helmet"). What made my choice for me was noticing that while you can still block while using a spear just as in Demon's Souls, it looks like in dark souls, it doesn't cost any more stamina to do so than a regular spear strike.

Unfortunately, after getting my spear to +5 and trying to modify it, I found that there's no option to make a magic spear, only a divine one, which scales off faith instead of int.

Are there similar limitations with regards to weapon types that can get various enchants in Dark Souls as in Demon's Souls? I haven't seen this listed anywhere.

Even in Demon's Souls spears could be 'mooned'.

I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and use this spear for the butterfly weapon later.

Check out this image: http://i.imgur.com/FIYKN.jpg

If you're finding you can't make Magic weapons, you may not have the right ember, or you may be at the wrong blacksmith or both.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DeathSandwich posted:

Something that feels rather pleasant to me this game compared to demons souls is that you get the chance to roost and backstab a lot and now that I'm in amon londo and have silver knights out the rear end next to a bonfire, I've been practicing my riposte timing. Now I've got a parry knife in my inventory that I was looking at before work. Has anyone ever played around with one? Does using one give you a bigger window to deflect attacks our am I just better off using a shield?

The parry knife is pretty cool, it does have a noticeably longer parry animation so its a bit easier to use and its R1 attack is nice and fast for occasionally interrupting attacks. I don't really think its better than using a good shield though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pierson posted:

Speaking of parrying exactly when does the parry window activate? Does it become active the second I press the button, or is there some point mid-animation when it happens which is different for every weapon? I'm using a shield and having trouble figuring it out.

From what I can tell it starts as soon as you press the button and lasts until the "upswing" of the shield is over, leaving a small amount of recovery time at the end as your shield lowers. Thing to remember about parrying is that practicing on one enemy type is only gonna make you better at parrying that particular enemy. Learning all the enemy moves, which ones are parry-able and what the timings are makes all the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

thoraxfetish.com posted:

What's the best way to get Large Titanite Shards? I have a lot of poo poo that needs upgrading!

Have you been to Sen's Fortress yet?

• Locked thread