Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Playing this with the same tanky build I used in Demon's Souls: Knight Armor, 1h sword and shield, no magic, high hp/end and medium str.

Finally beat the BT Gargoyles, glad I got that out of the way as the hardest boss in DS with this build was Maneater (basically an exercise in stamina management).

That said, I'm still rocking the Longsword and doing 20 damage per hit and haven't found anything better so it's surprising that people are talking about using unique/rare weapons against them (thought this was the first boss?). Tried going to other areas but the enemies scared me off :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
So uh, decided to try out Moonlight Butterfly since I read a couple posts here saying it was really easy. Got my rear end kicked 5 times.

SL16 using a pure melee heavy armor build, there's just no way to dodge the magic needle attack and even blocking it with the best magic defense shield I have, (65%, Caduceus Round Shield), it does considerable damage so I run out of Estus Flask +1 charges by the time it's at half health.

Am I too underleveled for it or do I just need a better shield?

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Crowbear posted:

The best way I found to do it was to stay as far away from the boss as possible. Then if I dodged as soon as he released an attack I would be covered for all of them.

If it's the spikes, then you'll just dodge them outright. If it's the giant beam or the slow projectiles, you'll recover from your first dodge with enough time to dodge again when they get close to you.

I probably just suck at dodging (used to blocking everything), as I tried another few times with some leather armor for faster rolls and those spikes always get me. Sometimes seems like it shoots them right where I'm recovering from a dodge :argh:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a trick to avoiding Gaping Dragon's jump attack?

Second time in a row where he's down to 1/4 health, then he immediately jumps and lands exactly where my character is. Doesn't matter how soon I start running or how much I roll.

Other than that 1-hit kill he's really easy, so it's pretty frustrating :(

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Maremidon posted:

Am I supposed to fight the Necromancer guy and his army of undead minions in the church in the Undead Parish? It seems really overwhelming, even for this game.

Just lure them out into the narrow passageways and kill them one by one.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
So I killed Gaping Dragon exclusively attacking its tail and it never cut off. Made sure I was attacking the tail, not just his rear end. Couldn't cut off the Gargoyle tail either this way.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Vargs posted:

What weapon were you using? I had a hard time hitting what the game considers to be a tail with my spear, so I switched over to a 2-hander and just used overhead vertical swings and cut it off no problem. No lock on, either.

Longsword +4 in 2hander mode. Attacked it just like you did, no lock-on with overhead swings.

Probably needed a bigger sword.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
What exactly am I supposed to do in Blight Town? I made it all the way down to the swamp, but couldn't stay in it for more than 5 seconds without being poisoned even with a bunch of poison resist gear. Then I climbed back up, accidentally fell and lost 20k souls and 2 humanity :saddowns:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Revitalized posted:

Well luckily poison doesn't hurt you that fast. You need to keep moving, and only take breaks on dry patches of land, usually around pillars and edges. If you don't want to explore at all and just go to "GO HERE" then it's to your right once you get down to the ground floor. Once you go right, you'll see a mound of ground with weird trees or something on it. Go in that direction.

Also what do I do with the starting gift pendant?

Thanks. I wrongly assumed the swamp would do Toxic damage (like everything else in here), but poison is easily dealt with.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Hahaha, I get invaded by "Man Eater Mildred" in Blighttown, she goes down in about 4 hits. Drops 4 Humanity and 10k souls.

Then I'm able to summon her as a phantom and she practically soloed Queelag :stare:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
God loving dammit, the area in Anor Londo with the 2 Black Knight snipers has killed me more times than any boss. The most annoying part is having to kill all those gargoyle monsters on the way back since you can't outrun them.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

Just shield up and keep running. Go right and front-kick that motherfucker into oblivion.

quote:

What encumbrance are you at? I was able to run past them for the most part. Other than that yeah seconding the run up to the guy on the right. The guy on the left is just guarding a lovely soul. Run up to him and don't stop to regain your stamina or put your shield up (I was doing this instinctively), then after he gets his sword out you can back away and he'll slash himself into falling. If he gets his bow out again run up and slash him

Thanks, for some reason I guess the RNG was loving me over as the first dozen or so tries he would never pull out his sword, so I'd take a javelin point blank, get knocked back and fall to my death. But this time he switched to his sword as soon as I was running up the second walkway :iiam:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
I cannot believe Pinwheel was an actual boss fight. Didn't even get hit once.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do wanna ask, are mimics a outright instant kill on you no matter what if they grab you? I'm running around with a full +5 divine Zwewhatever and had nearly full health, mimic nabbed me when I misjudged a swing and even though most of the poo poo in Sens fortress can't do much to me it took off a huge chunk then... just kept going, lifting my poor knight higher and higher till dead.

Does it like, ever let go or anything? I can defend a lot of stuff in this game and understand a lot of choices but that doesn't seem very fair, just kind of cheap. I missed a hit so I instant die?

(I know the game probably gets harder and all but still, just kinda rubs me the wrong way)

It does about 600 damage. My 850 HP Knight can usually live through it.

So I decide to run through the Darkroot Forest in Human form the first time. Right at Sif's gate I get invaded by a guy in Smough's armor and he 2-shots me with a fire spell even though I had an 85% fire resist shield.

I don't think I'll be trying that again.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

NoneSuch posted:

That's unlucky to be honest. Most of the time the invaders kinda suck for me, and they'll sit behind a shield jabbing me with a spear or get posioned and run off to die in a corner.

Just remembered he also casted a spell that made me unable to dodge or recover stamina. I always knew magic was overpowered in these games but that kinda stuff just makes PvP a bit silly.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Toiwat posted:

Iron Golem's my bitch :black101:

Killed it on my first try. Very fun fight, all his attacks are easy to dodge/block because they're extremely telegraphed. Also he staggers if you keep hitting him in the legs, so that let me take off a good chunk of his health.

I laughed pretty hard once I realized you can throw him off the cliff. If not for Pinwheel, this would be the easiest boss fight.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

RotationSurgeon posted:

I beat Gaping Dragon today and I was almost kind of disappointed. I ended up summoning in someone before the fight, and having even one other person there really trivializes the whole affair.

This applies to every boss fight honestly. I summoned a guy for O&S and it was so easy it almost felt like cheating. Probably would be better if they gained an extra AoE ability or increased HP depending on the number of people in the encounter.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Was doing pretty well against Seath, then for some reason his Crystal AoE attack decides to cover the entire loving room and I get cursed. Didn't have any Purging Stones.

Was so close to rage quitting right then and there but then I figured instead, it's a good way to teach me that I should always carry Purging Stones with me.

On that note, is it a good idea to go into that fight with some pooled Humanity, just in case?

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

But there are no other action RPGs on the market with quite honestly the best level design and best moment-to-moment melee combat of any other game. And the best multiplayer structure too (if it worked like it was promised). So I have to put up with this stupid poo poo.

Here's something interesting I've noticed: I'm saying "This system is punitive (it is harsh) for no real reason" and you are saying, "The Demon/Dark Souls games are known for being punitive" as a reply. But you forgot to add a qualifier: they are known for being punishing but fair about it. You can beat every monster in the game with enough skill and a tolerable weapon, you can beat every boss too. But if you get hit you are going to lose 33% - 66% of your life. If you aren't careful you might fall into a pit and you're dead, that's your punishment. And notice that these are all things the player can control. But sometimes you will make an errant sword swing when you put down your controller or accidentally pick firebombs or mistake a scary merchant for a monster and a then the game just mercilessly fucks you over. And it's not fair. Fair would be the NPC saying something, or a dialogue prompt that says "Talk: X Attack: Y" or something like this. Something that allows the player to make a choice, rather then blasting them for making a very human mistake that is outside their control in some circumstances.

What's funny is that in a couple of years there is going to be a game with amazing level design and great melee combat and is still very challenging and punishing but will do away with all the poorly designed bullshit of Demon/Dark Souls and will be a smash success. Just like Everquest -> World of Warcraft. The market is there, and people want to play this kind of game.

I don't know why you're getting upset about it in Demon's/Dark Souls when there a lot of other RPG's out there that punish you equally (sometimes even moreso) for attacking NPC's. Hell in any Bethesda game the whole town lynches you if you so much as punch a shopkeeper. It's not really the game's fault if you are spamming the item button directly in front of an NPC and didn't know it automatically switched to the next one or that the PS3's R2 triggers tend to press itself when resting on a surface.

And here's a tip if you don't know if someone is a merchant or a monster. If you can't lock-on to it, then it's most likely friendly.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Toiwat posted:

This was my shortest boss attempt to date.

My shortest was with Gravelord Nito, as soon as I had control, I took maybe 1 step and my character was impaled. A solid ~2 second attempt.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Defghanistan posted:

Hey so how does one reasonably do the catacombs without a way to permanently put down those skellies? My lightning claymore +2 in't doing it and my chaos fireball doesnt even seem to put them down for good.
How does one avoid having an army of 600 skellies following him on a mad dash to suicide?

I feel like Indiana Jones with the boulder chasing him except it's an army of undead death instead

=(

Look for a necromancer type enemy holding a lantern. Kill him and they won't respawn.

quote:

Didn't beat Sif yet. Goodbye souls I guess .

You can just grab your souls then use a Homeward Bone.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Final boss fight spoilers: It's kind of bullshit if you're playing a pure melee heavy armor build with no magic (trying to avoid trivializing it with Iron Flesh). The only chance you have for attacking is right after he misses the grab and god forbid you don't manage your stamina correctly because if he uses the 2h combo twice in a row and you don't have at least 75% stamina after the first one you're hosed, even with a Black Iron Shield +15 and 34 endurance.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Guess it never crossed my mind that a boss could be parried. :downs:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
I can parry every other enemy in the game no problem, but out of 10+ attempts I haven't been able to parry Gwyn once. Screw everyone that says that's the easy way out of the fight :argh:

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Just beat the game. Amazing experience throughout and it's definitely my favorite console RPG now. Can't believe From Software managed to improve on Demon's Souls in every single way.

SL71 and 43 hours playtime.

Final boss: Couldn't get a parry on Gwyn for the life of me and was having a really frustrating time with this fight (if you couldn't tell from my previous posts), but today I beat him on my first attempt just straight up tanking his damage with the Black Iron Shield +15. Was actually pretty easy too, no idea why I was having such a hard time before.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: Also while I'm thinking of it: I saw someone complaining about their pure melee character having trouble. Making a "pure" character of any persuasion is very foolish. For a couple of stat points you can rock Pyromancy, turn yourself into a badass tank and smash poo poo. Really there's no reason to ever go pure on anything.

I just beat the game as a pure melee character with no pyromancy. Didn't use any of the grossly overpowered weapons either; was rocking a Longsword +10 for about 3/4 of the game then switched to Gravelord. Certain bosses were a bit tricky since I couldn't just use Iron Flesh or whatever to power through it, but other than that it was relative smooth sailing. Of course some may see that as intentionally gimping yourself, but I think being comfortable with how your character plays is the most important thing about the game.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
^^^ Use Prism Stones! You get 20 from a chest in the Archives.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

DannyH posted:

This is how i did it, i know that most people wont have the Crystal Ring Shield for this. Shoot them with an arrow to pull them in and from one of those roots in a safe area you can two shot them with the energy attack from the shield. You can also run into one of the towers and do the same.

Lost Izalith is not really that big of a deal once you realize that the dragon rear end things can hurt each other. You can literally just round up a bunch of them and only one will be left standing after a couple seconds.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Joe_Richter posted:

So, that Iron Giant dude at the end of Sen's Fortress is a bit of a chump; I beat him first time, hollowed at SL 15. I wanted to go back and find the serpent ring I musta missed on my way up, and buy some more titanise from teh merchant but....

I foolishly touched the circle thingy thats there after you kill the Iron dude, and got whisked off to Anor Londo. I'd ask if there's any way back so I can go spend some souls etc, but I got sucked into the painting as well, which I'm pretty sure there has no way out other than through the boss..

So, can I get back?

The boss in the Painted World is optional, she'll give you a choice whether to fight her or just leave.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Lork posted:

Well gently caress. And here I was thinking that with the PC version I would finally be able to play this game online and be in an Xbox Live party with my friends at the same time, but they actually managed to find a way to prevent that anyway. Bravo, From, bravo.

I mean, I can understand wanting to play it co-op with your friends, but in this sort of game it basically trivializes the difficulty of every boss, and it's the reason From Software doesn't want you doing it.

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
It just reads to me that they won't create new high-resolution textures or more detailed assets for the PC version. But even the most basic and rushed console ports allow you to customize resolution, and AA can be forced, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010

Annoying Reveler posted:

Awesome! Thanks for looking out for the people who made the series as popular as it is. :thumbsup:

Now you know how every PC gamer feels ever since the 360 was released.

• Locked thread