Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Read
Dec 21, 2010

If you didn't see it coming I can see how it would be a pain in the rear end but I've never had someone successfully use either Acid Cloud or the Scraping Spear on me. They're both pretty poo poo really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I guess I don't really know what it's like because nobody tried it on me till I was on my third or fourth playthrough.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

By definition a covenant is some sort of formal agreement you make with another party, kind of like a contract. So there are certain to be rules.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Whatever. I just know she loved bling and didn't try to kill me or trick me. That made her better than every other character in Demon's Souls.

Excuse me she was tied with Yuria for best character :colbert:. I didn't do the Mephistopheles quests forever because I felt bad killing Yuria ;-;.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Nigulus Rex posted:

Why is that zero guy with the live stream putting most of his stat points into dex?

Probably to use dex based weapons?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

So far I've done the Gargoyle fight, Taurus Demon, Hydra, Gaping Dragon, Capra Demon and the Moonlight Butterfly. Finished the depths, poked around the Valley of the Drakes for a bit and found some items. All of the bosses so far have seemed really really easy, and I'm beginning to think it's because I'm overgeared.

I found a Black Knight Sword and shield from the first couple ones I fought and have them at +3 and +2 respectively. The sword completely rips through every mob (500-600 damage on a good 2H hit, I can do about 4 hits with my small stamina bar), 3 shotting the Butterfly when I went to fight it. I've had the Capra Demon and Gaping Dragon both drop their special weapon and traded Snuggly for the huge mace, but none of those items look like they even come close to the sword.

Did I get really lucky with good gear drops or are the bosses just weak in the beginning?

For reference I'm something like SL 37, I wear either Eastern set, Elite Knight +3/4 Set or the thief armor depending on the situation. I did play Demon's Souls extensively, so maybe I'm just getting a boost from player experience.

e:The man who absolves you of sin and whatnot in the bell tower told me that Petrus was "steeped in sin", does he go on a murderous rampage or anything later on? :<

Read fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 23, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kongming posted:

Most of the bosses are pretty easy, also yeah a Black Knight sword will absolutely destroy the early bosses.

Ornstein and Smough is generally considered the hardest fight in the game by a lot of people and even that is easily manageable once you figure it out (pillars). Gargoyles can be tough because you fight them so early and fighting two things is always harder than fighting one thing.

Doesn't mean you still can't have stupid gently caress ups and die. I actually died twice to Iron Golem this run through for ridiculous reasons, then I go and one shot Ornstein and Smough.

Yeah, I think the gargoyles might've posed some problems if I hadn't killed the first one as soon as the second one showed up. (Should we be spoilering the fact that there are two of them like we did in the Demon's Souls thread for Maneater?)

I'm really looking forward to finishing my first playthrough so I can run through again and do a bunch more sunbroing before I move on past each boss :3. Loved the poo poo out of Demon's Souls PVP too, so I'm looking forward to doing s'more of that.

e: "Heh, I can one shot all of you not even gonna bother dodging" -swarmed and comboed to death-, happens every time I feel smug.

ee: Any suggestions as to where I should go next? I'm guessing it's Blighttown for the second bell ):.

Read fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 23, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

hahahaha, holy poo poo Capra Demon is making me his bitch.

Use the high ground to lure his dogs away from him, dispatch them and then abuse it to control how he moves.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bunk Rogers posted:

Lucked out and got a greatsword and halberd from the first two black knights I killed. I had planned on trying a sex build but I'm thinking these are too good to pass up. I'm only SL22 with my dex up to 20. How good are these things?

My Black Knight Sword +4 does 600 some damage per 2H hit with only 27 strength.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

Dropped a summon stone in front of Quelaag to see if I can get anyone to bite. What are approximations of success for finding people for jolly cooperation around SL40?

I'm about to go down and kill her, only SL 35 or something but I hit for a solid 600 so I think I can help. If I see a summon sign I'll hop in :).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Some Sunbros just helped me out with Sen's Fortress, by which I mean we ran through it in 2 minutes and I have no idea what the gently caress. I want the Covetous Ring and the ~makes you invisible sorta~ ring, anyone near there wanna try letting me summon them and helping me find the rings? \o/

washow posted:

What the hell what weapon are you using? That number just ain't right. Did you kill her in like 3 hits? :kiddo:
Um, a Black Knight Sword +3 or +4, yeah, didn't take too many hits.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

havenwaters posted:

The makes you sorta invisible ring isn't in Sen's Fortress. I...kinda don't remember where the other one is. Probably in the ball area. I know there's one spot you can't reach without letting like 7 or 8 balls roll down one of the routes so it fills up a pit and then crashes through a wall with the next one.

My bad, I meant the quieting ring. Not the Fog Ring.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Chilling in Anor Londo in the second Bonfire room, the circular one with a big rear end statue. Suddenly I notice the central stair column rotating, "weird, guess it automatically resets to the neutral position after a while?". Then it starts to rotate in the opposite direction, back down. I head out there to see what it is and notice a green mist running(?) down the stairs, walk up to it to see if it's friendly or not and as I realise my mistake it 3 hits me through my raised shield ):.
What the poo poo.
(I was human at the time)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Kongming posted:

Sounds like an invader using the Fog Ring, which makes you partially invisible, while under a stamina regen buff, which is a green misty aura.

Speaking of invasions, there are at least two groups of people with phantoms farming invaders in Kiln with the Dried Finger at the moment. Been matched up with both multiple times...
Ah, didn't think of it being an invader because I didn't see any invasion message but on second thought I looked away from the screen for a bit before it happened \o/.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Maremidon posted:

Where's the door to Blighttown after I beat the Gaping Dragon?

Bigass gate where the vendor was.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

washow posted:

Prepare to die

-Dragonslayer bow using silver knights

Did it on my first try just yesterday, dunno if they patched it to make it easier or what but I just threw on light armor and ran up to the pillar. Walked around the left edge then ran up the rest of the bridge and smashed in the knight's face. Don't get why it's so hard, they don't track you very well and shoot slowly.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

How does the Furysword scale with Humanity? The description says that the "power" is "affected" but I'm not real clear as to how. Does the base attack damage go up?

An, I had seen the req was 50 FTH, but apparently that got brought down a bit in the patch.

Edit: man, the Chaos Blade looks sweet as hell, it's too bad it eats away at your hp if you use it. :(

Both the physical damage and the fire damage on the Furysword scale with humanity up to 10 humanity.

e: 10 (Cap) +25 Physical +56 Fire

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Baron posted:

No I've only done the first bell. I guess I'm just gonna go do the second and come back later. I had his moves down pretty good but I think my Spider Shield just wasn't up to the task. I got so close a few times but could never pull out the win.

Yeah, you want something beefier than the Spider Shield for Sif, a Silver Knight Shield or Black Knight Shield would be great if you can wear one without being burdened.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Does killing Gwyndolyn change Anor Londo aside from making it dark? I won't lose access to the giant blacksmith will I?

It's killing Gwynevere that turns Anor Londo dark, and no you won't lose access to him.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Anyone know of some decent LPs of this game, since it's too early for goon LPs to be posted?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Gilgameshback posted:

What do you all think of the Black Knight Sword? I've been using it all through Sen's and have gotten to like it, though the R2 move is only useful in very limited situations. It seems more user-friendly than the Zweihander at least.

Black Knight Sword is one of the best all around weapons for most of the game imo.

Also the gargoyles are a callback to Demon's Souls Tower of Latria, they took you from the 3-1 boss fight to the 3-2 archstone.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

Another evening of no summons for O&S, even though I get summoned for Quelaag at SL47 again and again. gently caress a bunch of Dark Londo.

Also, I had a Darkwraith drop a Dark Hand, so I decided to try it out. Pulled Humanity from Petrus and the first Pyro guy with no problem. Tried it out on Andrei, and it made him hostile. He called me names, and killed me with his bare hands. I tried to quit and reload but of course he was still hostile, so I had to kill him. :(

Between those two things, and me having a complete love affair with all things co-op, I'm seriously considering re-rolling my sorcery character. It shouldn't take me long to get back into the late twenties to early thirties, and the "world" will be a bit better I think. I know it seems rather silly, but dammit I wanted to co-op O&S.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Couldn't you get your sins absolved and have Andrei be your bud again?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

I didn't realize that having sins absolved would remove hostility from NPCs as well. That makes me feel extra extra bad. :(

Awwh ):, well if you need stuff ascended to +6 or made lightning I guess you could drop it to a goon + the mats and ask them to do it \o/.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Ahhh, good times. Since there are no loving bonfires in New Londo, I never see a single summon sign anywhere in that godforsaken shithole. Can't imagine why no one wants to assist on 4 K--oh wait they're a terribly designed fight yes I can.

You know what, gently caress Kaathe, I'll just talk to Frampt so I can feed him my doubles and loving get a level or two out of it. Go do Izalith and try New Londo later. It was last my first time through the game, it can be last this time too. Doesn't seem to matter what I try, my weapons refuse to reach the bastards unless I'm so close that I can't block what few attacks they do that are actually blockable. And since it's a DPS race, I'm 2-handing my sword most of the time anyway. And with the lag on weapon switching after a swing, it's not like I can swap it back in at the drop of a hat anyway. And it's not like a +5 Chaos Claymore with 10 active Humanity can actually damage them anyway so I guess I'll try my slow as gently caress Elec-Zwei next time. Because that's what that fight needs, a slow weapon...

Now for the fun of running back through that shithole to get my bloodstain, then I guess I'll go see if I can't get a Sunlight Maggot to make the Tomb halfway tolerable.

The last half of this game sure is full of poorly designed areas. At least the Tomb has the decency of having a couple bonfires. The gently caress's the excuse in New Londo?

E: Oh hey rad, as I was fighting the 'fourth' of the 'Four' Kings, one launched some giant magic attack that one-hit killed me. gently caress any of you that like this, it's a poorly designed fight that goes against everything the game teaches you to do. Don't have the 'right' weapon and armor to both withstand their constant barrage of attacks while doing ludicrous damage to beat them before you're out of Flasks? Enjoy grinding for hours to fix that problem!

Do you post nothing but long angry paragraphs about how unfair and imbalanced everything is? If you don't enjoy the game you don't have to play it. There's a difference between criticism and whining.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Heath posted:

Exploring Sen's Fortress, I came upon an elevator platform with a strange bloodstain on it. In a moment of clarity, I looked up and noticed that the elevator would shove me into the spikes above if I stepped on it too soon. I hopped on the platform as it was coming down instead and was able to bypass this otherwise deadly trap. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I step forward to open the chest at the bottom and claim my reward.

Then the chest ate me.

:darksouls:

Man I love the poo poo out of that part of Sen's Fortress. I'd been hitting EVERY chest in the game with my heavy attack all because of the one mimic they showed us in the trailers, it finally paid off :allears:.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The swamp's poison was also really weak, if you equipped some regen gear your health would go up and you could just wander right through.

Yeah, an Adjudicator's Shield +5 negates the poison entirely while still giving you regen. Even if you didn't have enough Colorless Demon's Souls to +5 your shield you could just run some combo of a blessed weapon, the regen ring and the shield. 5-2 really wasn't that bad, just the least fun level.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

I'd say the hard part about her is getting her tail cut before you kill her. She doesn't have a ton of HP, and her tail's a pretty small target.
Yeah, when I killed her I screwed the tail up and missed out on the dagger, it's definitely the hardest part of the fight \o/.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

God drat this pyromancer character is fun as poo poo, just finished Catacombs/Tomb of Giants pretty fun area but I hosed up my Patches encounter so now I'm stuck with the Mask of the Mother ):. Rolling with Lightning Whip +1 and Silver(or Black) Knight Shield +5 in my off hand, maxed out pyro and lit claymore in my right hand. Made myself a fire great scythe and notched whip for fun :>. Farming the phalanx in the Painted World w/ pyro is stupid easy.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Heath posted:

How am I supposed to beat the Hydra at the lake as a melee character? I can't even get close to it and I don't really want to invest in a bunch of dragonslayer arrows just to have it pelt me with pain water and die.

Run up really close, dodging the water blasts. When you're close up in the water it stops with the ranged attacks and slams you with it's heads, you can easily block these with any not-complete-poo poo shield and a bit of endurance. Then just smack it's heads as they come down. (Don't walk too far out and die to the water cliff like I did 10 times on my first charater)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of weapon stat scaling, is there anywhere that breaks down when a weapon will stop scaling with a particular stat? I assume the letters indicate that it'll stop at some point (like the Oocaile stopping at 12 for Sorcs) but the game doesn't exactly make it transparent :v:

Doesn't the Oolacile Catalyst have a flat m.adjust, one that doesn't scale at all? The letters just refer to how strong of an effect stats have on the weapon, not some cap at which each stat stops affecting it.

e: If you're a Sorcerer, just pick up some pyro for the Crystal Caves~

Read
Dec 21, 2010

EC posted:

I usually find summons (and get summoned at) in the area with the three Undead right before you enter the cathedral.

Edit: I'm only 8 weapons away from collecting all the "rare" weapons. They should be easy (although getting the Drake Sword in NG+ is going to be fun, as I've never bothered with it before), but where is the best place to find the Channeler's Trident? That and the Stone Greatshield are the only two items I'll need to actually grind specific enemies for.

I'm not looking forward to trying for Priscilla's dagger. :( Maybe in NG++ she'll have enough HP that'll it be a bit easier.

He should have said something to the effect of "I'll teach all my new sorceries! And tell you the secret of Seath's immortality!" when you talked to him the first time. Either way, it's easy to miss if you happen to not see the crystal at the back of his cave.

The best respawning Channeler spot is in the Duke's Archives on the second and third levels with the rotating stairs, even then it's pretty lovely. Make sure you have humanity + covetous I guess \o/.

If anyone is running through NG Tomb of Giants / Catacombs and got a second lamp, I kinda hosed myself over by trading mine for a Fog Ring then missing the Sunlight Maggot drop ):. Any chance I could give you something for it?

e: Also If anyone wants to assist Bed of Chaos, I have the shortcut open and am gonna go fight it after work today. SL 52 PS3, will be doing it around 4:30-5:00 PST.

Read fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 8, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The fire keeper souls say something like HEY IF YOU USE THIS YOUR FLASKS WILL GET STRONGER!! So of course I used it then wondered why my flasks didn't get stronger. Post-Anor Londo and I'm just +1 :I

I think they assume you talked to Anastasia down by Firelink and saw the Reinforce option.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Umberger posted:

I do agree that its R2/RT attack is hilariously useless, but I never really found myself using strong attacks on anything anyways. v:v:v

With decent stats, you can 1HKO the infected pyro undead in the Painted World with a strong attack which has the added bonus of knocking them out of range so you don't get toxic-ed.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

If anyone has beaten this guys without either super armor and/or iron flesh I'd love to hear about it.

I beat 4 kings first try with (Rough stats, might have 2 more dex and 1 or 2 more vit i forget):
SL 62

30 Vit
23 Att
30 End
16 Str
14 Dex
12 Res
10 Int
8 Faith

Left Hand: +4 Silver Knight Shield, +8 Fire Notched Whip/+5 Parrying Dagger (I forget which one, I don't think I actually took out either in the fight)
Right Hand: Pyromancy Flame +5 (Ascended), +4 Lightning Claymore

Rings: Ring of Favour and Protection, Covenant of the Abyss or whatever

Armour: Havel's Set + Mask of the Mother

Pyro (That I used in the fight): Great Fireball, Great Combustion

I'm 99% sure I could've done it without any pyro and without havels, considering I barely got hit and took out two of the kings with just melee.

How the fight went: Dropped down, ran in circles looking for the first king. Saw him and shot big fireballs at him, missed 2/3 of them since it was hard to gauge distance with the solid black arena, hit one of them for 600 or something and then meleed him to death. Other one spawns and I get all up in his grill w/ Great Combustion and some 2H Claymore action, then I beat the other two to death with my Claymore the end.

e: I wish they made light armor a legitimate option, but you always need end for any character so there's never a reason to use the really light stuff :|. I still wear dusk's top and sleeves + quelanna's bottoms + mask of the mother to look cool but ):.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 11, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I guess that's not really too many. I'm just about at the end of the game now so I probably won't bother until the next one.

If you're at the end of the game that's even more reason to go around murdering all the NPCs for loot :confused:.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm farming chaos bugs for red titanite chunks but haven't had any drop so far. I've killed ~50, do these things actually drop red titanite chunks or is the wiki wrong? Is there a better place to find some?

The drop is just rare, I've had it drop for me when I was running around with a lot of liquid humanity from farming O&S assists for souls and humanity.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

^^: Wear the Rusted Iron Ring, don't enter the pit through the drop down. If you literally just mean "how do i get out of here", exit through one of the side doors and then edge past the holes, circle the room till you find stairs leading out, walk up the roots to get out.

Is there anyone who wants some SL 65-ish PS3 assistance, with anything other than Gwyn since I'm not there yet!

edit: You can use that to lead the chaos eaters into the pits, if you aggro them and run past the hole they just drop into it like coins in a slot machine.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm sorry but PVP in Demon and Dark souls are absolutely terrible, unfun experiences. I wish co-op were made a lot easier than waiting around for hours for people who may or may not be there to notice you.

The PVP is by and far my favourite part of both games, and I spent hours in Demon's Souls doing it, will be doing so in Dark Souls too once I finish it a few more times and get some builds down. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it objectively bad. :V

e: I remember playing through Demon's Souls for the first time and getting my first invasion, it's by far the most intense experience I've had in a video game. Tentatively peeking around every corner not knowing where they were. We had an awesome battle once I'd finally found them / they found me :allears:.

ee: Just got off my PS3, did 4 Kings yesterday and then Seath today. Opened up the Kiln and decided I'd just give Gwyn a shot, obviously I wouldn't win on my first try so no worries, I'll collect all the NPC loot and poo poo after I die horribly.

Ah, he's running at me. Better switch my armor why am I wearing all light poo poo oh dear he's right infront of me welp. Guess I'll try parrying him since he has a sword. Parry, stab. Parry, stab. Parry, stab. Woops hosed up my parry, shield up, drink. Parry, stab. Parry, stab. Woop fight over.

Doesn't even hold a candle to the False King or Old King Doran ):, kinda dissapointed he's so easy.

Read fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 11, 2012

Read
Dec 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

The titanite demon in the lost izalith shortcut is loving impossible.
Just conserve your stamina, with a good shield you can tank every combo he has if you're careful about it. Circle him when he tries to impale you with his catch-pole.

Once you've got that down, hit him with a sword or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Chard posted:

I'm going to assume that you mean you beat him first try, because if you literally killed the game's boss with one swing I think you owe us all an explanation of how you did it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSNVxIlIXAI

Even without the 40% extra from the greatsword, I bet you could use another weapon and still 1shot him.

Obviously this is not a normal example \o/.

• Locked thread