Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

mistaya posted:

So (forest) is there any decent way to melee down Moonlight Butterfly or does it just take a while as you have to let her land first? I've killed her once as a white phantom, it just took quite a while and I was wondering if there's a better way.

The best way I've found is with melee. Just go to two hand and go nuts. Easy boss, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Still haven't been invaded yet but I got cursed finally! My Xbox nearly had a fit when all that smoke clogged up the screen.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Gaping Dragon was a lot easier than I thought he'd be. I'm sorry Solaire; you will be remembered.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone know why I can't wield the Gargoyle Axe?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The.GreyWolf posted:

Anyone know why I can't wield the Gargoyle Axe?

Anyone? It says my stats don't meet the requirements.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, do your stats meet the requirements? If you look at the item it should have them displayed somewhere. I think the gargoyle axe requires something like 17 strength and dex.

Ahh, of course. It would seem I'm still terrible at this game, haha.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I'd recommend the Futurepress guide. It's like 400 pages and would literally answer every question in this thread. It's got a badass cover and it's hard bound too!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Just finished "wolfbro". Grey Wolf Sif was an awesome boss fight but be warned; do NOT use a slow weapon against him. He's extremely agile and the Dark Knight Sword dealt out a lot of damage but I also died 4-5 times because of that. Definitely one of my favorite bosses especially when you knock him down to 1/10 HP.

And now I'm in Blight Town with the intention of eventually hitting the Ash Lake. I am not looking forward to slow down city.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

High poise and a thick sword works wonders at the Capra Demon. You can (hopefully) one shot his dogs and take maybe one or two hits.

Also, toss some Alluring Skulls in one of the fire torches to watch the boar burn itself to death.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Foxhound posted:

What's weird is, the first time, when I was alive I found a summon sign under a bush beneath the staircase leading to the butterfly. It summoned a "Witch <name>" that was very much an NPC that I had never seen before. Anyone else seen it?

Yeah, she's a secret summon or something.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Scoobi posted:

I wish black knights respawned. As a heavy armor knight they are fun and intense to fight because I have to tank them and I want their loving gear but all I've ever got is titanite.

If I remember correctly, they do at a later point in the game.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Go talk to the lady behind the grate in the Lower Undead Burg -> Firelink shortcut in the aqueduct and pick up some Fire/Poison weapon buff items.

Speaking of these, they don't work on my Black Knight Sword?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

^^ Souls! TONS of them.

Well, sitting in the forest, waiting for the cat lady to summon me.

Come on Alvina I need some humanity!

Wait...I don't have to be human to do this...right?

Monolith. fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2011 around 03:57

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

For those who use the Black Knight Sword and/or any other huge sword, does each hit still have hard knockdown? I'm hoping I can start chaining damage on things like I did in DeS by the time I get the strength to hold the bloody thing.

It stuns them for multiple (3 in my case) hits. Maybe if you two hand it but I've always got my Grass Crest Shield out.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Another piece of sage advice: Don't use the B button to skip dialogue. Especially when on a precarious ledge when trying to trade stuff with a bird!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Sif tips: target him and then immediately roll right. His swing will whiff and you can get one hit in if you're lucky. The safest place is, ironically, right under him as none of his attacks can hit you there.

Also, don't block his whirling strike. You will die.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

So what's the best armor people have found yet? I don't want to reinforce anything because I keep finding better stuff.

The best I've found is the black-hemmed stuff in the painting in anon londo. The chest alone has 42 resist and a weight of 3. The only problem is it has no curse resist, but who goes anywhere near that stuff anyway?

There's a ton of good stuff there, Velka's Rapier is shaping up to be a fun time.

I found this sick looking plague doctor stuff in Blight Town. I cannot wait to be a Ringwraith, though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

as well as the one you get that makes you look like that rear end in a top hat that's in the belltower of the church.

There's armor in the belltower? Like, the first plot-bell right after the Gargoyles?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Annoying thing with him, all the advice I saw on him says to ditch all your armour and go full dodge since you can't block him and live. After roughly 10 attempts involving his loving homing club one-shotting mr, I said gently caress it and went in fully armoured with my Baldur shield up. He took off roughly half my stamina with each hit, and he hits so slowly that I could backstab with impunity. gently caress you advice!

As long as you have a shield that blocks 100% physical then you shrug it off. You will die if you roll too early.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Reacean posted:

Personally after seeing how little of Blighttown you have to do first hand if you pick the master key and go in the back way, I will never make another character without it.

Is the back way by entering from the Valley of the Drakes? You'd then see a couple of the big troll guys with the poison clubs.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Reacean posted:

Yeah, that would be the way I'm talking about. Run past those guys, take the waterwheel to the bottom, and run across the swamp to the boss area, that's about as much time as I ever want to spend in that god awful place again. I tried going back through after I cleared the story event stuff and I can't believe anyone would want to do that more than once ever.

Thank you! I spent a couple deaths wondering how the hell to get down.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wanna make sure I have the weapon upgrade system down in this one.

Titanite shards to upgrade the base weapons to +5, then you ascend them to one of 4(?) different damage types using embers, right? Then do you use those embers to upgrade the weapon from +1 to +10?

No, the embers enable the blacksmiths to upgrade them to different types. Different ores actually do the upgrading.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Upgrades#Boss

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Finally got around to beating Spider lady and now I can masquerade as a Ringwraith. It's sad that the gold hemmed robes aren't upgradeable.

Also, Black Knight Sword +4 is amazing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Can you only explore one section of upper Blight Town from the back entrance in Drakeland?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Aries posted:

How are people playing this game with heavy armour?

Havel's Ring, 25 Endurance, and a shield that strengthens my stamina regen. I have the almost fast roll with the gear I've got on!

Ok, I should clarify a bit. With that you get the medium roll.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

After an awful stint in Blight town I went back to firelink shrine to do a much needed flask upgrade and the fire keeper is...dead? I can't even light the bonfire now. I would really like to know what the gently caress happened. I am pretty much ready to snap the disc in half after tonight. This is loving bullshit.

You're boned unless you beat the Spider lady. Get ready to head to Anor Londo and avenge her!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Aries posted:

Question about avenging her: I've got some black stone from her corpse that apparently can let me invade the killer's world, do I need to wait until a particular point to use it? You mention Anor Londo, does that mean I need to wait until then?.

Just in case no one answered this.

Yes. There's a specific place there and the orb will start to rumble.

Depths posted:

Holy poo poo ash lake is loving beautiful and holy poo poo path of the dragon!

I am super jealous.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

That's weird. I've only been cursed once and it was during my death animation. I didn't realize it also killed you.

It doesn't. The curse frogs petrify you.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Transient Curse yourself, not frog curse. You get to keep all your HP! You can buy them from the lady hollow at the end of the super long hallway going to the Undead Burg (providing you unlocked the shortcut) for 4k souls.

User0015 posted:

Is there any way to finely aim a bow in this game? I'm trying to snipe enemies, but the lock-on is to far away from them despite the fact they will happily lob an endless supply of fire bombs at me?

Hit RB/R1, I believe. You cannot manually aim a crossbow.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I can see why you guys don't like Blight Town now that I've gone through the front. What's worse is that I need to go there a couple more times. Why do you have to be so far away, path of the Dragon?!

Ugh, I haven't even set foot in Andor Londo, either.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Revitalized posted:

So I hear divine weapons work against ghosts... can I block with a divine shield?

Use a Transient Curse and it will enable your block.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Or if you got cursed by one of those adorable little frogs somewhere, you can just flat out hit them without the use of any special items as long as you don't dispell the curse (which is kind of expensive I might add so make the best of it)

You really should have all your health bar when fighting ghosts, especially when they come out of the walls!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Path of the Dragon pretty much owns. Anyone know where I could grind for dragon scales?

The Moon Monster posted:

Pyromancy scales with the level of your pyromancy catalyst, but not with any stats.

However, the higher rank your Flame Hand is, the higher scaling it receives from Int.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The scaling your flame hand receives from int only effects the fire damage you do when punching someone with it.

Oh, that's kind of disheartening. Where'd you find this out?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Hey SamuraiSanders, I just found the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress. You recommend upgrading it?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Tarradax posted:

What should I do with all the souls I'm amassing? I have Sif's, Queelog's and the Moonlight Butterfly.

Sif's can make a sweet shield, Spider Lady's can make a sweet sword, and the butterfly's can make a crystal shield.

Loofa08 posted:

Jesus! Spend them on something before you die and lose them all. Upgrade weapons or level your character. I'd be so stressed out if I was carrying that much.

Don't worry, this won't actually happen.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

^^^ It's really fast and drains a lot less stamina per swing? The ~160 fire damage is pretty sweet.

A couple questions if anyone knows them: What shield can be used with Sif's soul? In Sen's Fortress, there's this snake guy just chilling out by some opened cages. What's the deal with that? I tried talking to him but he's not an NPC so...who knows?

Also, a Warrior is a great starting class once you find some heavy armor. Just pump STR, END, VIT, and you'll be one hell of a hard hitting dude. Some DEX is good for a couple weapons that hit pretty hard too.

If anyone's curious, I usually wear Havel's Ring, the Stamina ring found in the Great Hollow, alternating between the Gold Hemmed robe set with some of the Elite Knight armor, a +5 Grass Crest Shield (for stamina regen), and a +4 Black Knight Sword. My stats are 24 STR, 25 END, 19 DEX, and 24 VIT. A couple points in Attunement so I can use free Pyromancy with a +10 flame hand. I have the almost fast roll and my damage mitigation is pretty good. The high stamina helps a ton too as I can block several strikes and then retaliate with my sword.

And until I can get the full Path of the Dragon, the head is hilarious to barbeque smaller enemies like the treants and basic skeletons. The more stamina you have, the more fire you can breathe, too!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Edit: The only shields that DONT work are as follows: East-West shield, Crest Shield, Dragon Crest Shield, Silver Knight Shield, Black Knight Shield, Stone Greatshield, Havel's Greatshield.

Thanks!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Eej posted:

I pillaged Pendant for killing my third dude for the Cat Covenant to get my Fog Ring. It was pretty awesome because we were both lowbies (30-ish SL) with greatswords wailing away at each other and then he just backs up over the cliff.

Speaking of being Human and getting nifty rewards, has anyone picked up Grant yet? It's a Great Hammer that needs 50 STR and 30 Faith to wield, deals 125 physical, 135 magic, 135 divine damage and apparently scales B/A (STR/DEX according to the wiki but from the requirements it definitely sounds like B/A STR/Faith).

Whoa, where do you get this fantastic item?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

invalid posted:

Hey, my ReqSouls stat is stuck at 0, yet I can't level up. Is this thing glitched because I swear it's happened to me before.

I believe it's supposed to be like that. For some reason, it only says zero and when you can add a point, it'll change. So...I hope it gets patched.

• Locked thread