Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

Alright, I think I will start over, and chalk up my previous run as a learning experience. Question for those who are clearly far better at these kinds of games than myself: What's the best stats to level up, if I want to be a big, stompy knight-like guy? Also, what kind of weapons should I be looking into? The spear did me well for a while, but I hit a brick wall with it very quickly.

END, STR, VIT. Get your DEX up a bit and get the Drake sword. The Claymore is pretty stylish if you get rid of Hellkite on the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

So if the old lady runs out of transient curses...?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It only has INT scaling for the strong attack that you do with the flame. The spells are unaffected.

Please please please please don't think that INT matters for anything other than sorceries.

This should really be in the OP.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's actually quite easy because there's a massive shortcut that skips 95% of the level.

I'm also have fun with my dexterous sorcerer! The Estoc isn't too bad if you put some upgrades into it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Oh. My. GOD.

Hello, Kaathe. This Darkwraith thing better be so goddamn awesome. Does it count against me if I kill the other darkwraiths?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Oh my God, haha. I invaded this guy in the painted world, he dropped down in front of me, and I kicked him off a ledge to his death. This is going to be awesome.

Ooo, here comes another!

Monolith. fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2011 around 20:46

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I take it back. Some guy just insta-combustioned me.

I hope that patch eliminates some of the bullshit like that.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Vatek posted:

It's all fun and games until you get your rear end kicked.

In hindsight I'm sure I could have strafed around him and then shoved my spear up his rear end.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Vargs posted:

I invaded that same guy in the Undead Burg a couple days ago. Getting summoned takes way too loving long, so I've resorted to the red eye stone.

I like to take my pimped out level 8 in Smough's armor and a witch hat to the Burg, then just follow people around with my shield up for the entire area. Makes them really nervous. It's pretty funny.

How did you beat the Four Kings at that level?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Gentlemen

That armor looks so cool. If only Brolaire and myself could have beaten ssj Ornstein.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

waspinator posted:

Incoming Street Fighter run! Going to *attempt* shieldless, we'll see how possible that is

http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

Good luck with this!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

In my game, the second pyro trainer appeared for me when I had a +2 Hand and I don't think I bought out Laurentis's shop.

VVV I do not. Master Key!

Monolith. fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2011 around 22:00

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Colon Parenthesis posted:

re: Lautrec I killed him in Anor Londo and then gave the Firekeeper soul to the Anor Londo firekeeper, was that a unique one to the Firelink keeper or can I revive her with any firekeeper soul, I think I hosed up.

Yeah, you did.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I have 30-40 hours on two major characters and I haven't even hit Lost Izalith/Duke's yet. It makes me too anxious when I think about going there.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

quote:

I'm at least fifteen deaths in at this point. I've lost multiple blood stains, probably totaling 50k in souls. I know for a fact I've lost at least five humanity. Usually it doesn't bother me, but this one area has me in such a state.

I'd be one thing if the bonfire were closer, but it is not. It's a long haul there.

Deal with the lightning gargoyle things and then just book it up the first ramp. The arrows will NOT hit you if you're sprinting (most of the time). Take the left path as the second sniper cannot hit you. The book it up the second ramp. When you reach the top, keep your shield up to absorb a hit, and then roll or run forward so the knight switches to melee. Back up so he falls off and then book it around the corner as the other sniper has a small window to nail you in the back until you get around the corner.

Good luck.

Cake Attack posted:

I dropped my lightning spear for the last guy I phantomed for, I hope he realizes how strong it is

Generous, but probably not the best idea.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

You can get through New Londo without cursing yourself if you've lowered the water and know where the shortcut elevator is. It's still a pain to get by the one ghost that's blocking that path, though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

With the advent of Battlefield 3 coming, I think I'm done with this game for now. What an amazing ride that I'll certainly come back to and finish it eventually!

Perhaps I'll come back when the patch (hopefully) hits.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I think every four or so points you get another full segment on your health bar. That plus the Favor Ring and any other rings like the Tiny Beings ring would give you quite a lot.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

LorentzViolator posted:

Guy who did a 290 part playthrough on youtube has posted a video of all the times he died (30 minutes long!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCr6P0i_h2Y

He's pretty dedicated especially since it doesn't look like he's got a capture card.

I hope that patch comes soon as I want to play this game again.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

waspinator posted:

I'm considering doing a let's play of Dark Souls. I consider myself to pretty much know all there is to know about the game, and hopefully anyone watching my stream agrees at this point, and could probably beat it with my eyes closed. Would you guys enjoy seeing this, and would anyone be willing to help me do an OP?

Don't let Squint beat you to it!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Dizz posted:

I finally caved and bought the game. I never played Demon Souls so this will be completely blind for me. Is there anything I need to take note of before playing other than being disgustingly careful?

The Master Key owns. Open every chest you see. Also, the Tiny Being's Ring will NOT regen your HP.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Dizz posted:

Is there any sort of path I should be following? There's no guidance on what I should be doing, not even a general direction.

If you're dying a lot to certain enemies then you're probably not going the right way. However, you could also be going the right way, so persevere and you'll eventually figure it out.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Pyromancy works well against Priscilla. You can also get out your bow and aim high; one or two near headshots will reveal her.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Have they announced a date for the 360 patch?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Ornstein has a pretty bitchin' helmet though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

The one thing with Ornstein's and Smough's is that they're both missing aesthetic details that the bosses have when they wear the armor. Like Ornstein's red ponytail and undercoat for example. And that kinda pisses me off!

Wait, you don't get that ponytail? What a disappointment.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Jetpack Postman posted:

Don't Occult weapons also perma-kill skeletons?

They do not.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Ash Lake is probably one of the most atmospheric places I've been to in a video game. It even has it's own music in a mostly music-less game!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

You do NOT want to block his double spin move when fighting Sif. When he lifts his head, put your shield up and mash back on the stick, and he should miss. As he's recovering, go in and get a couple hits of your choice off. Every other strike you should be able to block and still have enough stamina to hit him a couple times. It's also wise not to let a lot of room get between you and him as he'll do this annoying charge move which will hit you most of the time.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Hope this hasn't been posted. Wait until the end (or just skip ahead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra5FFVSNOrA

Haha, holy crap, that was amazing.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Orn-steen and Smow. Also, Quay-lagh. Quay-leg?

This patch needs to get here.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

namechat

Needless to say that I am terrible with names.

Rough Lobster posted:

Sunbro story

Awesome!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Put that in the OP right now.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

So Nito doesn't actually turn you into a lich if you give him enough eyes?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Zain posted:

Is that our motivation for killing him? He wants to become a Lich? I've been trying to figure out our motivation for this.

Well no. I read (probably inaccurate now) that his covenant will turn you into a lich after enough eyes. I.e. like the Dragon stones.

TjyvTompa posted:

Couple of questions:
What are the blue summon signs "dragon remnants" I see sometimes? I tried to summon but it has always failed.

How do covenants and the achievement for discovering them work, can I join a covenant and then leave it? Should I join all covenants and save the one I really want to join for last?

I rescued the big hat but when I talked with him in firelink all he said was "Oh, you can't learn sorceries". I started as wanderer, can I do something to be able to learn sorceries?

The Dragon ones are white eyes. You can ask to join it and you'll get the achievement. Just say no if you don't actually want to join it. And you need 15 INT for Logan to start teaching you stuff.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

FisheyStix posted:

Time to start my Revenge of the Dragons run. Barehands, the stones and my estus flasks, all in dragon form. Can it be done?

Yes. Yes it can.

I actually think someone already did that.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

So almost 1000 posts later, was the 1.05 patch released for the Xbox?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

So this is what I'm going for, skill point wise : http://mmdks.com/2e4l

I'm using an Uchigatana right now and I am having much more fun this time around now that I actually understand the mechanics. I've even started going human a lot despite getting GiantDad'd several times.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Tiny little sword that makes it possible for an invader to just spam RB over and over, quit poking me!

People are jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Holy moly, having magic and getting Mr Dragonslayer stuck in his lighting casting loop is awesome. Feeling super hot right now.

• Locked thread
«5 »