Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
In the last thread someone posted about stuff related to the pygmy.

Namely about how if you don't make any covenants, you can recruit some monstrous allies. Watching this IGN stream, they had to join a covenant in order for that first guy to teach them miracles. So my question to the guy who figured out the no covenant thing is, were you still able to get spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

k3nn posted:

If anyone's watching the IGN stream, is the game actually that difficult or is she just poo poo? It looks like she's dying to tons of avoidable stuff but I dunno if thats just part and parcel of console games.

Both of them have actually beaten dark souls, so it is probably a mixture.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I take it back, the people on the ign stream are amazingly terrible. I do not understand how Kezza(?) has apparently been through the game 4 times and still is awful. And I want this guy who keeps saying tweets and twitters to get hit by a loving bus.

Zebrasectomy posted:

Just got around to pre-ordering this.
I never played Demon's Souls and I'm trying to figure out what class to start with.

Is playing a thief right off the bat going to be suicide?

Playing a thief is for babbies. Deprived, no gift, no covenants, no armor, the real dark souls starts here.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nigulus Rex posted:

Any advice for someone new to the franchise? I'm planning on picking this up on tuesday, and I wanted to make a mage-type character but all the demon souls videos I see say it's difficult to start that way. Considering it'll be my first play maybe I should try something easier. Any suggestions?

Haven't played it yet myself but someone earlier in this thread (or the one on PA, can't remember for sure) mentioned that (minor item spoiler for the ultra purists) If you take the master key as your gift, you can open a door in the tutorial level that will give you some kind of weapon that is like the crescent weapon type from demon's souls. Crescent weapons in demon's souls scaled off your magic stat instead of str or dex to determine it's damage and also gave you increased mana regen. Not sure how much of this applies to the one in dark souls, but even if it's just the damage scaling with your casting stat it will be worth it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nechronic posted:

Oh god, does this mean PSN players are gonna get ganked hard on Tuesday? I assume 360 gets almost no play over in Japan.

Probably only a little. I do believe you only get invaded by people within 10 soul levels of you. Outside of the odd rear end in a top hat I would wager most of the playerbase is still too busy with ng+ to spend time with an SL 1 scraping spear dickbag to murder new players with.

Though I welcome them anyway, I will hit them with my club and murder them as a naked zombie! :black101:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

On the ps3/360 debate, the IGN stream said that the 360 version was slightly, slightly worse than the ps3. They experienced a few more instances of slow down, but they were very heavily implying that a few was a few. As in like, 4 or 5. In a game you will play for 60 hours on the low end, that makes the games more or less identical.

Now, a more important question for those who have the game is whether or not the controls can be remapped. Because by default your standard attack will be l1/r1 on the ps3 and lb/rb on the 360. Which I would find obnoxious and want to rebind to lt/rt on the 360 since the bumpers always felt a little weird to me.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Dear Watson posted:

So if your block and attack are the shoulder buttons, what are the triggers mapped to do?

I often forget about the shoulder buttons since I hate them so much.

Assuming the same thing as they were in demon's souls, heavy attack/shield slam/riposte depending on what you have equipped.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

SolidHavoc posted:

I have two questions that may or may not have been answered, but if someone who has already played it can answer, that would be great. I've never played the series so I'm not sure if I have all this information correct.

1)Does the co-op 'trick' work in Dark Souls? Doesn't matter if it's laborious, just want to know if it is possible to play through the game with a buddy.

2)Does voice chat work in-game? I know private doesn't, just wanting to know if we will be able to communicate in any way while playing. (if we can play together)

Assuming its the same as demon's souls (and by the look of things, it is) co-oping is a pain in the rear end and probably not worth the hassle. Voice chat does not work in the game. No in system or in game communication of any type works (except in offline mode apparently?). So yes, you will need to skype it up if you absolutely must co-op, but the real dark souls doesn't start until you play alone like a true scotsman.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyone have any good ideas for fighting skeleton wheels in close quarters? I'm suddenly needing to do a lot of that and they are just murdering me.

Assuming you are in the area I think you are, use a bow or other ranged attack to single pull them, then just hide your rear end way up in the tunnel that opens into the cave with all the little pinwheeling bastards. Stand to the left of the door in the tunnel part (not the cave part!)and they will roll up and get stuck on the door frame and then you can swing at them through it.

InnercityGriot posted:

Blightown AKA Fuckthisareaville question: Where the hell am I supposed to go once I get to the swamp at the bottom? I rang the bell at the top of the church, now I'm going south and it feels like I'm missing a bonfire in between the swamp area at the bottom with the flies and poo poo, and the bridged areas above with the enemies that try to bite you and the fat guys.

Assuming you are coming at it from the sewers, you need to go down. Once you get all the way to the bottom there are 3 main important things. One, there's a bonfire down there somewhat near the "shortcut" that you don't want to miss. Two, said shortcut is a series of ladders that you can climb all the way back up to the top after riding a spinny elevator dealy like you used to ride to see Ed the blacksmith. Going up there will let you open a route to londo ruins and make later trips down there much more pain free. Three, there is another bonfire about midway down that plank nightmare. At some point you will see some treasure way below you, but you can totally jump and make it over there. The treasure is the iaito katana and the bonfire is basically like 30 feet away from it. Don't know how to get there that doesn't involve a ridiculous jump, but I'm sure there is one. And lastly the main goal is to go into queelegs lair and murder her then ring the bell. It is at the end of the swamp. The big white hill covered in spiderwebs? That's your goal.

NESguerilla posted:

Couple quick questions.
1. Is rolling just nerfed or is it something I can speed up by leveling up now? If

Rolling is nerfed but it is still amazing. I spent the first 8 hours of the game naked except for a loincloth and a gargoyle hat just to stay under the 25% encumbrance until I found 2 different rings that upped your carry limit and raised my endurance to 20 and then found some black leather. It took all of this before I was no longer some crazy mostly naked deprived. Memories!

Cyberbob posted:

Are you still better off dead?
I think I was in body form for a good 5 minutes all Demons Souls.

Only if you really don't want to pvp.

DeathSandwich posted:

So is there another way to get miracles early besides joining the way of the white? My bandit wound up leveling his faith some in order to use Astora's Straight Sword and I feel it's going to waste without some spells to back it up.

He will eventually teach you miracles without requiring you to join his smelly covenant.

invalid posted:

How the hell can I do Longo is I am out of the 'interact this ghosts' itens?

They can be bought. Remember how way back in the beginning when you ran through that aqueduct to get to the undead burg and there was a door in there that couldn't be opened from your side? The depths will eventually loop around to that gate and in that tunnel there is a vendor who sells the transient curses.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Who's got 2 thumbs and took down smough and ornstein on his second try? This guy :smug:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Anyone happen to be around SL 68 and have an extra or unwanted dark wood grain ring kicking around I could have or maybe trade something for? I kind of screwed myself out of the one in my game and it was kind of the thing I've built my whole character around :smith:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to use a boss soul for the purposes of weapon forging? I'm trying to make The Blade of Chaos from a iaito+10 using the soul of quelag.

As best as I can tell I've got the mats and weapon all lined up. Do I need to go to a smith? Do I just use the item? I'm just worried about using it for souls on accident.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Phoix posted:

Whoever said that Blight Town is the worst part of the game is a god drat liar. Anor Londo spoilers, the painting is a billion times worse. :mad:

The Painting was a fun romp in the park compared to blighttown. That said your response to it has me laughing. Just wait until you get to the Tomb of the Giants. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Phoix posted:

I've already been down there. With the sorcery light spell it wasn't as bad as this place. I eventually finished the painting but jesus christ that was awful.

This post makes zero sense to me. You must be a faith build with a holy weapon because that is the only reasonable explanation.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The multiplayer is working, every time I've entered human form I've been invaded 5 minutes later (unless I get myself killed first anyway). I've also spent a fair amount of today white phantoming for humaninity. I am doing it right now, in fact.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Blarfo posted:

Astora's sword appears to be broken right now and the divine aspect of it is completely not applied. Tons of reports (including my own experience) of it being woefully underpowered and basically a neat name for a standard longsword.

However, I have a divine weapon and I'm not sure what was meant about permanently killing skeletons. Is that just the ones that DO get ressed from necromancers? Because I'm pretty sure I popped the bros in the graveyard right near the Shrine and they get back up every time I go back.

It definitely counts as a blessed weapon for the purposes of keeping undead from respawning. My advice; make a divine reinforced club. Takes a str of 12 to use and, best as I can tell from the guide, does the best damage out of all the 1h strike weapons.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I have bad news for you, they removed crushing and dex-based weapons. Go faith/magic and make divine weapons, you'll deal far more damage than if you just dip 30 points into strength.

Yeah, they really hosed up the weapon upgrading system this time around.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Lagos posted:

If it's like Demon's Souls, the scaling weapons will outpace it eventually, so they're not wasted if you can find one. But I haven't seen that happen in NG yet. Maybe a +5 katana or bow will be a monster around 30 dex? :iiam:

At 30 dex my chaos scythe and lightning spear are still outdamaging my B paramater katana (and tragically my S parameter bow), and the few melee weapons with an A dex parameter have usability issues.

In all seriousness, I think the 2 best character types, playstyle dependent, will end up being either int based or no primary attack stat. The no primary stat really seems to me to be the way to go. 19 attunement, 40 vit, 40 end, 40 resist and 14-16 in the rest to use some random things. Rock a chaos sword, lightning spear, divine club and be tanky as gently caress while rocking out super powerful pyromancy (since pyro barely scales at all with int, it's almost entirely your flame). For the int build, there are quite a few weapons that scale with an A once properly enchanted and unlike dex, they are actually good. Faith can do well but I think strength is well and proper hosed unless you want to run around naked except for a shield and a giant 2h weapon with all the speed of a fat man ascending a staircase. Because all the good strength equipment is heavy as poo poo and requires 40+ str, leaving you not a whole lot of points for endurance for quite awhile. And even then, you're left with no vit. Might work if you stack all the burden reducers, I will test it later.

Or you could just not use a shield and 2h your massive ridiculous weapon. It might work but I just can't stand playing slow characters. Also Havel's ridiculous shield is one of the nicer perks of high str and not using it kind of seems like kicking yourself.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Scrooged posted:

Is there really any reason what so ever to have a divine weapon or shield?

Divine weapons make undead stay dead. This is fairly handy in the catacombs (though you can get by just luring all the skeletons to ledges and kicking them off, that's what I did) and really god drat helpful on the boss of tomb of the giants.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I haven't played this game in forever. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty on what is the current hotness for pve builds? Also, is the strat guide I bought back in the day still useful? I know for sure the equipment charts aren't anymore, but as long as stuff hasn't been moved around it should still be useful.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Loved the trailer for the most part. gently caress torches though. Having to ditch my shield (or 2h) for that drat lantern in Tomb of the Giants was so insufferable that I would either get enough int and attunement to learn the light spell from Oolacile ghost lady or kill off Solaire for the fancy hat on every character I made. That being a regular mechanic can eat a giant bowl of dicks. Most interesting to me is that for the brief instance that he was dual wielding it actually seemed to be a bit better supported. Hard to say with certainty though.

On the topic of the game looking too easy, I just have to laugh. I would bet money most of you guys mentioning it jumped on the Dark Souls bandwagon post-launch, because I cannot remember a single dev walkthrough before the DS1 launch that didn't feature a character geared and levelled way beyond the content they were showing off. It's just the nature of a preview.

And there are several ways dark souls could be made more accessible without being made easy. Off the top of my head, everything related to statistics in the game is really opaque. It took going outside of the game to find out exactly how all that poo poo actually works in a meaningful way. The multiplayer system used in Dark Souls was, at least in my opinion, needlessly complex. Especially compared to Demon's Souls.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you know that you don't have to kill Solaire for that hat?

I did not! Tell me more. :swoon:

Edit: Wait is it a drop off the lovely little bugs with an insanely low drop chance? Because if so then. <:saddowns:>

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You know the illusory wall in the bell tower between the Demon Ruins and Quelaag's domain? Break it, go tell Eingyi(the egg guy) that you're a new recruit, and then join the spider lady's covenant. Give her 30 humanity. Then work your way up to the Demon Firesage's fog door. Go off to the right and you can open a shortcut. Kill all the bugs. One of them will drop the Sunlight Maggot. Also, when you come back, Solaire will be sitting there all depressed because he couldn't find his own sun, but you get to summon him for Gwyn.

It's a guaranteed drop.

Oh right! I actually did this in one of my playthroughs. Well now this is embarrassing. It has been entirely too long since I played Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Forget the halberd, get a Scythe.

• Locked thread