Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coming in to the thread late, well after the Dark Souls early adopters on the urging of friends, but I've just gotten started and I'm already appreciating all of the improvements over Demon's Souls--especially the new Poise stat. Suddenly heavy-armor builds become more than just viable, they actually have their advantages! Granted, my main is a Thief but I really like not being stunlocked while giving my Knight a test run.

The Drake Sword makes moving through trash mobs smooth as butter. Glad I read ahead to get it.

The magic charge system is old school. Real old school. I can dig it.

The apparently invisible lobby network, on the other hand, just isn't working for me. I've wasted three hours trying to set up a run through the Undead Parish with my friends (reliving our Demon's Souls glory days) and am sorely disappointed. I know we're not playing it the way the developers intended, but goddamn if the ability to co-op with friends (in quiet defiance of the game's design) wasn't one of the unspoken selling points of the previous Souls game. I'm hoping against hope that the upcoming patch might ease things up or at least make the invisible lobbies/networking system a little more inclusive but I'm not counting on it. From the sounds of it the system as it stands makes for a pretty lonely co-op and PvP experience for a lot of people in wider level ranges, too.

Also, I was curious as to why all of a sudden the Skyrim crowd was bashing on Dark Souls for some reason--they're practically different genres!--and a quick Googling informed me that this was all IGN's fault. I wasn't aware of this for some time since I'm not inclined to pay any attention to the site that gave God Hand a 3/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DarkArchimedes posted:

What did IGN do? Last I saw, they gave Dark Souls a 9 out of 10... not that that has anything to do with the Skyrim crowd, I guess.

It's not really an article and very much a deliberate bee's-nest kicking, but IGN published this. If you see a random off-hand comment somewhere by a Skyrim fan that shits on Dark Souls for no apparent reason, this might have something to do with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SynVisions posted:

the treasure chest monster.

In D&D terms, we call that a 'Mimic.' Old-school D&D has an obscene amount of monsters and traps designed solely to help a sadistic DM gently caress with his players. Unlike Souls, few games actually uses them the way they were designed--as honest-to-goodness traps for the unwary looter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is level 20 too high to get summoned to the gargoyle fight? Should I be looking for another boss to go pitch in at?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Huh, the Dark Souls for PC petition has apparently exploded over the span of a few days and the hubbub seems to be getting quite a bit of mention on various gaming press websites. That's a good sign.

Come to think of it, I should buy a Wii and pre-order Xenoblade.

• Locked thread