Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm new to this Demon's Soul thing, on account that it was PS3 exclusive, but i'm glad I get a chance to try this out through it's newest iteration, Dark Souls.

I realized a couple of days ago that I never was good at Mario games, and that also my controller joystick veers forward or left with the slightest poke. I'm still feeling pretty confident though.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What the hell? Does it jump out of your hand or something?

Oh hell, whoops, I meant the joystick. fixed.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm new to this, I can't wait to try this poo poo out. I don't believe I'm going to die, and I sound like a redshirt on an away team.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Edge Zero posted:

I don't care how ineffective it is, I'm gonna use a whip like there's no tomorrow, tomorrow.

Fuckin' A right, gonna Belmont whip all day if i find one.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question. How do you aim with your light crossbow? I'm itching to take that drake sword, but I can't seem to free aim with it. I play on the 360.

By the way, after dying at least six times to it, i finally beat the Taurus, I knew his pattern, but gently caress me, i couldn't dodge with all that heavy armor, and a wrong roll gets you plastered.

I beat this guy, the earliest legit boss, and i feel the a rush that you seldom find even when going through final area stages in other games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Guliani is HOT posted:

You can only aim with bows (as in plain bows, not crossbows)

Thanks, i'll get to buying one when i start playing.

Got another question. I started as knight so i'm automatically in Way of the White, the covenant i want to be in. I can't seem to find the guy that gives me the miracle. I take it i have to go back to the very first Bonfire (before burg) and poke around?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The Titanite Demon/headless stone statue is kicking my rear end. It says his attacks are highly telegraphed, but this guy is twice as fast as the Taurus and i'm wielding heavy armor, so i'm getting slammed. Pelting him with arrows seems like it'll take at least 15 minutes to kill him.

What am i doing wrong?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks for the pointers on the Titanite Demon fellas, i'll give it a shot when i start the game. I've been hanging on to five Humanity, so i'm being extra cautious, but i might as well spend it all when i get a chance, despite the fact that i managed to get the Boar's head.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kweh posted:

No you cant but personally I love the controls. What is it about them that doesn't do it for you?

This is just me, but the last Melee heavy game i played before this was Space Marine, so at the start, I instinctively hit the X button thinking that i'm going to strike, and instead it's me popping an estus flask before I get a beatdown by the simplest mooks.

But if this game is consistent about one thing other than hating you, it's you quickly getting used to the controls because it's what's neccesary.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

So yea, don't ever get cursed. Ever.

I saw a video showing how bad being cursed is. I really want to know where that merchant that sells anti-curse potions so i never have to deal with such a thing.

I take it to get to that person, you're gonna start facing things that can curse you?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

victrix posted:

The area below the graveyard is the literal embodiment of hell

I love this game :buddy:

I was at the entrance, and there was just something inside me that said "Yeah, nope. You know what? I'll probably come back to this later"

Thanks for the confirmation (at your unfortunate expense)

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 7, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I saw my brother get a cracked stone that lets you invade after poking around in firelink and used it. He followed the trail of NPC corpses, caught the guy offguard. Guy he invaded kept using Zweihander strong attacks, he simply dodged it and absolutely destroyed him.

This game really is something else. What is bullshit though is, if the game fails to connect to a location, you don't get the stone back.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So my brother grinded a couple thousand souls to plonk it down on some faith and attunement on his warrior so he could use Soul Arrow. It turns out he doesn't have the right item to cast these spells in the first place.

Just what kind of item do you need exactly? the wiki's not giving me a straight answer, and i would think that there has to be another way other than going to the lower undead burg to rescue a pyro.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Professor Latency posted:

You need a catalyst. (clever name) They aren't dropped often, but there's a dude you can rescue in the Burg that'll give you it once you talk to him back in Firelink.

That's the Pyromancer trainer everybody's talking about, right?

EDIT: He found it. Thanks for the help.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hah. A good chunk of you already know the wierd Dragon Glitch where he dies suddenly if you shoot him. I didn't even have to do that. For some reason there was a skeleton archer. It was working in such a manner that I didn't have to lure any of the skeletons because the Dragon already kept dumping his fire all over it, but that archer kept firing.

The game unintentionally threw me a bone. I was grinding that spot so i could save up for the seal to open up the spot in the forest. He died when i reached 12,000 souls, so his soul count filled the rest.

That grinding spot is the best. I'm now level 37, with a Boars head and +3 Elite Armor, looking for. I'm coming back for that stray demon.

Question. Just what exactly do you need to fully block Havel's attacks?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 9, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

smuh posted:

I got some super heavy armor from behind the 20 000 soul door in the forest, and I couldn't be happier!

You mean Stone Armor?

I just got ahold of it, and the jump in defense is loving ridiculous as i was previously wearing Elite Knight armor.

Of course, I got a little overconfident and wanted to test out my defense, and the mook in the church with the rapier performed a parry and critical hit, lost drat near all my health.

I'm at the Catacombs now, and the jump in difficulty is huge for me. The Skeletons, and especially the black knight in the area leading up to the boss was pretty hard.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Notinghamington posted:

gently caress ANOR LONDO! I keep getting harpooned by two black knights; I managed to grab a lightning spear. Still no help with the loving CONCRETE ARROWS!

Ok, Yeah, this is the bitch of the game, but you can bring her back. If you remember that guy in gold armor who would sit in front of her cell... yeah... If I know right/remember you have to head off to Anor Londo.

I decided not to free him because i read the early spoilers early in the thread, but he made it out on his own anyway and he's pissed at me. Can't i just kill him now to prevent her death? From what i understand you can get his armor if you follow through with it all, I got stone armor now, and i'm never getting rid of it. What else could he possibly offer me?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

smuh posted:

Hell yeah I do :cool:
...I still can't wear the gloves though, will have to level a bit more to use the full set. It is a bit funny though how no matter what kind of poo poo you're using even the shittiest of enemies can slaughter you in seconds once you let your guard down. That's Dark Souls for you, I guess.

I probably took more unshielded hits in the Catacombs alone than i did in my entire playthrough. That Stone armor is the reason i still made it out alive.

I couldn't wear the gauntlets either. Until i killed Havel. With that item, i can wield the gauntlets and the shield. Now i just need to grind literally from 44 to 56 to even use that drat shield.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thinking I ought to kill him now. Like I said, I dont think there's any armor better than Stone. I'm sure his gold armor is not as great, and i'd like to go into the depths now, because the Tomb of Giants puzzle is terrifying.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Killbot posted:

I love how leather gloves are like the best gloves in the game.

I just realized today why they have better stats than knight gauntlets. No Poise.

Also quick question. How exactly do you access the Blacksmith that's being blocked by a wall in the Catacombs? And which Blacksmith lets you upgrade lightning? Seems the best weapons are Lightning, and i'm tired of the drake sword.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Notinghamington posted:

You can't free him, you can only talk to him. He'll do all the upgrading through the window...some how.

Well, i guess i can go check now without worrying about some giant loving black knight with a great axe killing me in almost one hit.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
poo poo, man. I want to get Astoria's straight sword to +5, but I can't find any twinkling titanite at all. Found two lizards that i was too late in killing, so i'm wondering if there's a place where you can farm some?

I'm gonna grind out some slimes, because at this point, +6 and above or Raw weapons will do more damage.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RentCavalier posted:

Hey Upgrade Junkies, lemme in on some secrets--what's the deal with Raw weapons? Is upgrading something to Raw better or worse than giving it magical properties?

On that note, where can I get the supplies and blacksmith to make lightning weapons? I have a dream of an Electric Halberd.

For some weapons it changes the stat modifiers. It might put a higher value on one, but devalues another.

My character has alot of Strength, but abysmal dexterity, for someone who is level 57. I might need to use Raw upgrades.

By the way, this thread moves pretty goddamn fast. Is there a monster other than those small lizards that drop twinkling titanite?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 11, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What's the max level in this game anyway? I'm level 55 and I'm grinding away at the forest area so that i can wield the stone greatshield and at the same time, have plenty of strength for weapons.

Ever since I picked up the stone armor set, I've been able to take ridiculous amounts of damage, and only lose to bosses because of pressure getting to me and being two hits away from winning. If i get my poo poo ruined by one small enemy, i can make all of my health back if i play perfectly for a few minutes because of the evil eye ring.

Also, thank christ that the pygmy blowdart fellas don't respawn. I'm going back there with at least 20 blooming moss just to make sure.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DeathSandwich posted:

700-something. Basically the level it takes for all your stats to hit 99

Oh. Well in that case, I dont mind being 20 levels ahead of the content. I love that this is the type of game where if you get too overconfident after getting some flash gear, it'll only be a matter of time before a random mook parries you and sticks a sword in your chest.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DeathSandwich posted:

Do note that you can only play coop with people within 10% of your level, so if you massively outlevel content, you may be hard pressed to play with dudes.

Yeah, by the time i read this in whatever page in this thread, i was already in my 40s and killing the bosses that you'd normally do at 20. I just killed the Capra demon, I'm pretty far behind.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It still really bugs me that one non-stat-scaling weapon just gets replaced with another, which will carry you for almost the entire rest of the game.

I don't suppose From is planning to adjust that with a patch? Over on the Japanese side of things people are wondering the same thing.

You think they'll try to lower the soul count on the forest buddies too? Because that would suck. A lot.

Also, wanted to ask, what exactly are the stats to the Moonlight Butterfly weapons? Because i'm thinking of making a +10 spear to make the soul weapon. My INT is low though, so I'm not too sure.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If your int is low don't bother with the moonlight spear. make the shield instead. it's blocking stats are bad except for magic but it's useful as it's special attack is multiplied by the power of your weapon, making it viable for any build.

If i get good at parrying, I'll give it a try. Right now for me it's either 95 physical- 100 or nothing at all.

Moonlight soul is not sounding too valuable right now

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

invalid posted:

Is Blighttown full of those poison ninjas and dogs?

Advice:Bring Bloomed purple moss

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Any decent weapons with B or above modifier to strength (Besides Black Knight weapons)? I'm starting to regret having such low DEX for a majority of the weapons

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Meme Emulator posted:

I wouldnt worry, everyone seems to love the elemental weapons. When you craft those it ruins the stat scaling down to D or E anyway.

poo poo. I was hoping that, by powerlevelling my strength so i could wield the stone greatshield, i'd also be able to stat scale some str weapons.

I have Astoria's sword +4 (divine), and it's not as awesome as I thought. Elemental, like fire or lightning does the trick? If so, where's the dude that modifies weapons into lightning?

Jetpack Postman posted:

Plenty. I don't want to bother listing them all, so I'll just point you to the wiki

Thanks. I've been looking at wikispaces this whole time, and it barely got updated.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 12, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Guessing i ought to make a fire spear or something. Already made the Halberd raw to +3, and i know i can change it, but i dumped alot of titanite shards, and it does the most damage, it'd feel like a waste.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, Blighttown can be a pain in the rear end when you navigate so carefully, the small pieces of wood on a small crossing actually block you, so you have to go faster.

Thanks for the advice on the elemental weapons. decided to make a fiery winged spear, and it's so unfair. That is until i decided to go further into Demon ruins with a weapon that does 50 damage there. Jesus, it's like soloing an MMO instance.

I'm level 67, i'm using all stone armor plus greatshield, and i'm still slightly scared about Sen's Fortress and the next couple of areas.

I definitely should've put all points into VIT, instead of hoping to find a STR weapon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Demitri Omni posted:

Wait, wait, wait.

You can slide down ladders?

Yeah, I just found out today. Gotta hit B once.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Uhm. How do you take out the lower half of the undead dragon in the painting? I've been hitting the poo poo out of it for about ten minutes now, and i'm going nowhere.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Elysiume posted:

Have you tried a leap attack? I might be thinking of something else.

It's the giant rear end lower half blocking the way to the bridge, what i assume to be where Priscilla is, and pretty much the end of the area. I haven't touched the bonfire, and i want to get out of there.

Don't think i tried a leap attack. I'll try it now.

traveling midget posted:

I have some Large Titanite Shards and some Titanite Chunks but the blacksmith in the Parish won't use any of them, it just says Titanite Shard 0/1.. what do I do here?

Large Titanite shards are different. They are used to reinforce weapons that are above +5. You'd need to acquire the ember at the beginning of the depths if you haven't already.

You use the basic titanite shards (drop or buy from Andrei) to get the weapon to +5.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm frankly amazed that last week I was struggling with the spear & shield hollows in the Undead Burg, and now I can blow through Blighttown like it's nothing. Sure there's been a lot of leveling and upgrading equipment, but more than anything else I feel like I've gotten better as a player.

Also can I infer from how almost nobody has even mentioned him, that we're all silently in agreement that Pinwheel is the easiest boss of the game?

I agree, and so did From's developers. That's why they added that bullshit part RIGHT after him.

Man, I can't imagine any leather user surviving Anor Londo's sniper run at the end. Unless you can parry without falling I guess.

Once I got through that, Anor Londo was pretty cool. Im at Orstein and Smough now. First part's easy because I have the Greatshield of Astorias now, so i kill smough first, Orstein proceeds to destroy my tactic of "standing still and blocking like a man" and impales me, taking away what's left of my health. How do i dodge his attacks?

Also, big question here. Will future reinforcements to my greatshield of astorias increase my stability? because right now +1 offers nothing but piss poor shield bash damage.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Also, I noticed alot of you mentioning Lightning Zweihanders as your weapon of choice. What's so special about it anyway? I'm trying to make a 2-hand + shield build, but I get destroyed when i use it.

On the upside, i made a Demon Machete +10, able to make it lighting, so i do kinda have a Zwei, just with a lovely Strong attack, is all.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Volitaire posted:

Long range, big damage, and lowish requirements. You can use it 2handed with only 16 strength and it hits for like 700 at +5.

Nice. sounds like something i'd enjoy, but I spent all my Titanite chunks on the spear though, so...drat. I have no idea where to reliably get chunks.

Or i guess i could just use the demon machete +10 . Already got 40 STR, and like i said, only difference is the machete's strong attacks are abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's nothing to get, the blacksmith in Anol Londo can make lightning weapons from the beginning.

Where do you get the Titanite chunks though? At best now, i can turn the Zwei into a plain ol Lightning Zweihander, because i got my spear up to +2.

• Locked thread