Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

McTimmy posted:

Enemies in New Londo drop them.

Err, New Londo as in New Londo ruins with all the ghosts and poo poo?

All i did in ruins was take the firekeeper soul and i got the hell out of there. I'm sure i can blast through it no problem now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Figured out Ornstein 2.0's impale dodging after a second try. I appreciate you guys posting the advice though.

So Way of the White reduces your chances of getting invaded? I call bullshit on that. Everytime i've so much as thought about reversing my hollowing to kindle some flames, some rear end in a top hat invades right before I hit the kindle button.

I just want to kindle my flame, I'm okay with getting jumped afterwards.

It's a good thing i killed Jeremiah in the painting first, because what the gently caress, i got jumped by a translucent ninja? I thought the ring to make you semi-invisible only worked in the forest.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RedTonic posted:

I thiiiink the good guy covenants reduce the chance of certain types of invasions (affiliated with other murder covenants). But the real benefit of white covenant is that you're given higher priority in MP co-op, according to the wikis.

Oh, I guess i'm going to leave that covenant then. I mean, I never take any help from anybody because i'm hollowed most of the time by choice.

So the Darkwraiths are the ones that drop Titanite Chunks? Was using the item discovery ring, and so far, nothing.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 16, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Elysiume posted:

What is a good level to be in Anor Londo?

Anor Londo is a decent jump in difficulty, what with the Knights and gargoyles and poo poo. I played it safe and was level 60 or so, but im pretty sure you can be 40 if you know what you're doing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, Lost Izalith and your targetting system do not go well together near the beginning, I would have quit the game if those lower half dragons respawned.

I didn't save Solaire, I felt pretty bad about it.

So I'm at the end, at Bed of Chaos but i can't seem to get it right. Just what am i supposed to do? I'm not used to bosses that I can't bash on the head in the beginning.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 18, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm Soul Level 92, with havel's armor, and those two skeletons prior to meeting Patches almost killed me in two seconds, because the arrows distracted me.

It's a good thing i've been playing as a hollow. Can't imagine being invaded in this loving area, or much less traversing it when i was Soul Level 25.

By the way, after some clam grinding, I finally got the Black Knight Greataxe to +5, and holy poo poo, it's one of the best weapons I have ever used and worth the high requirement. While the standing strongs are abysmally slow, and require some tricky timing to get somebody without getting hit, the standing normals are as fast as a one handed sword.

I'm hitting anything and everything with 400+ damage with the fast normals, or if i'm feeling over confident i can shoryuken a motherfucker with standing strong for 700-800. To me it's so much better than Lightning Zweihander because you can pull fast attacks with a huge rear end weapon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm blasting through the content now, the end bosses that I have killed in order so far are:

Seeth the Scaleless
Four Kings
Demon that is on fire
Centipede Demon
Bed of Chaos

Who else am I missing save for Nito(I'm going through the tomb of kings now) and where do i go look for them?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Does a Unique weapon destroy undead as well? I went through the Catacombs, and to my surprise, my Black Knight Greataxe killed the skeletons permanently the same way Astorias did.

Mayor McCheese posted:

I hear it's a hell of a lot more tolerable with the Sunlight Maggot Helm. Special Chaos Beetles apparently drop it.

Lucky for me, I passed Lost Izalith before passing through tombs, so despite the fact i have the lantern now, I think i can just go through that poo poo with the sunlight helmet.

Dawnfire posted:

Yeah, the first time I went through Blighttown I got a little confused, especially cause I went in through the Valley of the Dragons entrance. It doesn't help that the lightning changes a lot and can severely cut off your vision, but once you go through it a little more it's not as difficult.

The big advantage to entering through Valley the first time is, you reach the ground a HELL of a lot quicker than going through the depths. And you could deal with the biggest bullshit concentration of Pgymies there now rather than later, and take that Firekeeper soul.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 18, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DarkArchimedes posted:

Killing the necromancer guys that trot around with the skeletons seems to stop them from reviving, if I recall correctly.

Oh, drat, so that's why. drat, i guess I ought to make a Divine weapon for Nito? Or i guess i could kill him before i get swarmed? I powerlevelled my poo poo, so i have a certain room for error.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DarkArchimedes posted:

It makes it easier if you have one, yeah. I'll spoiler my tactic for him in case you want to figure it out on your own.

Don't move far from the area where you start and let Nito come to you. Three small skeletons will come your way, so you can knock them off and deal with Nito one on one. If you go to the back of the room, there are two big skeletons that make things way harder.

Also, Nito is weak to fire, so pyromancy or a fire weapon are also good to bring along. And if you hear him scream, wait about two seconds and roll.

I have an Astorias +4, the only divine weapon in my arsenal, and my Fire spear is +5 and I tried Pyromancy against the Four Kings, and it just wasn't fast enough. So i'm wondering if i should follow your advice, but use my now regular weapon anyways.

bat duck posted:

Hes actually weak to fire, surprisingly.

Was fighting four kings earlier and I couldn't use Iron flesh for some reason, any idea why? He just did that animation like when you're out of magic or using wrong equipment or whatever.

Also, Sif is a huge rear end in a top hat, it gets really laggy and from some sides you just cant hit him no matter how close you are. At least iron flesh worked there.

Just a question, how exactly will Iron Flesh help you on that fight? It just seems like a hinderance considering one of their moves is a grapple.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Psyker posted:

Where do you guys see these S and A scale ratings on weapons? Or is that in the guide?

When you Toggle the display, you'll see Letters making up scale ratings. STR is first, DEX is second, INT third, and Faith fourth.

Wikidot as far as i know has all the information on all weapons.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yes. I killed all that is required, it took me 67 hours, but i did it. I laid all before me to waste, I am victorio-

What the gently caress Frampt? wake up rear end in a top hat, trying to save the world here!

Is there any consistent way to wake his rear end up? I found that going to the asylum and back worked, but i wonder if that was just a random occurence.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks for the trick to waking up Frampt. I got another question. Is there only like, one plain old Titanite Slab per playthrough? Because i found one off Stray demon, and nothing else.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

quote:

Slab guide

drat, at this point i'm way behind on Siegmeyer, I'm not feeling like backtracking at this point because I'm so close to the end.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Yes, 70 hours, and level 95, but i beat the game. Did alot of powerlevelling and preparation for NG+.

I thought that the weapon boss souls would carry over though. Guess I'm not getting that achievement anytime soon.

Question that pertains the boss souls:So, you don't keep the boss souls, so how exactly are you supposed to build Gwyn's sword? Is the end of NG++ basically different and offers no ending?

I thought I would be able to tank some hits on NG+, but even with Havel's armor, it's as if you were wearing regular heavy armor in the normal game. poo poo's ridiculous, but at least after two hours of play, im almost to Quelaag. Knowing everything really makes a difference.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Viash posted:

They do carry over, only ones you lose are the four you have to give to the lordvessel, which can't be made into weapons anyways. Check your bottomless box.

Oh okay then, even when noticing the bottomless box available, i never thought to check. That's cool.

Psyker posted:

On the 360, how the hell do you fast-slide down a ladder?

Just hit the B button.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Just killed O&S solo on my first try without taking a single direct hit :smug:. I was worried after all of the talk earlier in the thread. I really have no idea what I'm doing but swinging around a big black knight sword while dressed up as the grim reaper is pretty cool.

I'm considering upgrading my shield with the moth's soul, but it looks like it loses a ton of physical damage reduction. Does that mean I will start taking damage from physical attacks even if I block? That's kind of a deal breaker.

It was said somewhere around here that the shield lets you do magic projectile(?) attacks with your parry button, and that right now it's damage scales with whatever you're holding in your right hand. so a powerful two hander could lead to extremely overpowered shield attacks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Where is the pyromancer trainer in Blighttown anyway? I've looked everywhere but i can't seem to find it. Since it's NG+, Im pretty sure the next time i rescue the dude, he'll run off straight away just because i picked up the Chaos Whip spell off Izalith.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dawnfire posted:

It's not chaos whip that does it, it's having a quelanna pyromancer flame. She's also only going to show up if you have a pyromancy flame of +10 or higher, at which point she's at the giant stone pillar to the left as you enter Blighttown from quelaag's domain.

I spent some souls to get it to +12, so i should be able to find her easily on the next playthrough, thanks.

After a certain amount of time though, I did trigger the event because I picked up Chaos Whip and talked to him again after i got back from Firelink.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Once you know what you're doing, New Game Plus is so quick (Knight Character with Havel's Armor)

Been like three hours, and i'm already at Anor Londo. The one time i have died at least three times in one area was the Sniper section. Completely skipped the Depths because of the Master Key, and i wouldn't have it any other way. gently caress the majority of Blighttown.

For you folks already near the end at NG+, how was Smough/Ornstein, Seath and Four Kings? Those are the only bosses i had more than your average trouble on in Normal mode, especially Seath because i tried cutting his tail.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RBA Starblade posted:

Where am I supposed to be going in Izalith? I can't see anything due to the bloom and the framerate just completely gives up.

You're supposed to go to the Angkor Wat looking building in the distance. Look for a small ruined archway near some lava, and there's a vine that leads you straight to the building.

defult posted:

Only one i had trouble with was Four Kings had to crystal shield em in the end, so hard to keep up dps other wise. As for the Seath's tail, i gave up on trying that and just killed him.

Thanks. I made the mistake of fully upgrading the Golem Axe because i thought the wind attack was going to make some situations easy, but it didn't work out that way. Guess I'm going to have to kill a whole bunch of Titanite Demons to make that shield. If i'm still playing NG++, i'll just save some to make all the weapons for the achievement.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 19, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Schroeder91 posted:

Finally picked this up from blockbuster(1 copy and the same guy had it from release until today), can anyone tell what class should I play so I'm not getting :owned: all day.

From my experience and the information out there, Warrior and Knight are good beginner choices if you want to be a sturdy slashy fella. Both start with heater shields, that can block 100% physical damage, extremely handy. Warrior's stats are mostly into weapon Modifiers like STRength and DEXterity, enabling you to wield weapons early, while Knight has points in VITality and i think ENDurance, letting you tank hits better.

The stats are the only thing that set "classes" apart from others. You could build your character to whatever you want. I use the "Master Key" Gift, because it helps me reach areas early.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Schroeder91 posted:

Thanks! I think I'll go Knight so I can soak up all those blows I'll be taking.

Something you ought to know though. Tanking hits, and blocking hits in general, consume your bar of stamina, which is what you use to do anything, whether it be striking, dodging, jumping and all that poo poo.

Be careful when you're blocking because if you lose all your stamina when blocking, you leave yourself open to a counter-hit, in other words, getting hit for a fuckton more damage than usual.

Keep your eyes peeled for different 100% physical shields and check their stats, the higher stability number, the less stamina consumed when blocking hits, for example.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Danith posted:

I'm SL 27, killed the Gargoyles, Hydra, Moth, Pinwheel, and the dude with 2 swords and 2 dogs - where do I go now?

I tried the Darkroot Garden from the ladder near the Hydra and it was ok, but the un-targetable semi-invisible guys scared me. I got owned in Giants Tomb. The area with the ghosts and the water is just bullshit, for some reason I'm getting hardly any transient curse drops and I can't find a bonfire as well as getting no souls from anything in there. Right now my dude is just chilling in the undead asylum, killed all the knights but haven't tried the boss yet.

Is there any 'recommended area' progression list?

Dude with two swords dropped the key to the depths. You need to ring that second bell, so go to the Depths, and then Blighttown, and then Queelag's Domain.

If you have a Master Key, you can skip the depths entirely by accessing the Blighttown Shortcut at the very start of New Londo Ruins. skip a good portion of Blight in the process.

After ringing that bell, you should know exactly where to go.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 20, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RBA Starblade posted:

I, uh, just found Solaire in Izalith. I feel really lovely about killing him then his item descriptions say that he didn't get where he did with any enchanted or magic poo poo, he painted his stuff to look like it. He did it all by force of will. :smith:

Yeah I felt pretty bad too. I didn't pay much attention to his plight until that showdown. All this time he wanted to shine like the sun, and he did for a time in his mind:smith:.

Elysiume posted:

Except Petrus. Petrus must die.

I killed Lautrec early on to get that ring, and it looks like nothing else involving petrus triggered. Unless I'm supposed to buy all the miracles in the parish? Or I was supposed to traverse the tomb earlier?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Elysiume posted:

Oh yeah, him too. How does Lautrec involve Petrus, though?

I heard in the thread that he had something to say about Petrus. But i guess i'm screwed on that either way since I decided to sequence break on this playthrough.

When I rescued the maiden, Petrus was still preoccupied, as if i didn't rescue her at all. Like i said though, im betting it triggers once i buy everything off her.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Living One Post at a Time posted:

Should I bother spending my precious twinkling titanite on upgrading the sword in hopes of eventually getting some of these elemental weapons I heard so much about, or save it for something better later?

Twinkling Titanite is usually for unique weapons like the Black Knight Arsenal, and special armors. You can't upgrade them any further, you'd need to build a weapon up from scratch if you want an elemental weapon (or use the spear from Sen's)

I managed to acquire the Black Knight Greataxe, and farmed Twinkling titanite to get it to +5, and holy poo poo, it's normals are extremely quick for a two hander and the distance is longer than the sword, im destroying poo poo even on NG+.

EDIT:Question. Are they going to release a patch concerning the scaling of physical weapons? I heard about it here, and i'd like that to happen, because i got 50 Strength, and i'm getting only one point of damage per level up still. I can do 562 damage, still 180 off from the Lightning Zweihander.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 20, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jetpack Postman posted:

While I'm a bit hesitant to give any upgrade advice at this point since a big balance patch is going to hit near the end of the month, I still think that Twinkling Titanite is better used for upgrading unique armor sets if you're into wearing heavy armor at all. The armor sets with the best defense and poise values tend to be unique while the best weapons generally aren't unique.

You could always find yourself the Stone Armor, and just wear that poo poo while you spend the twinkling on your weapons.

But yeah, i spent all of mine on Astoria's the first time through, and it was a huge rear end mistake. You need to make sure you pick the right weapon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

bat duck posted:

Couple of questions

I really want the ring that Shivas bodyguard drops now but I dont know where he is. And if I kill him and sin against that covenant, will that affect any other covenant or just the forest one?

Can someone take me through the basics and parrying and backstabbing? I have no Idea how parrying works, and backstabbing seems pretty random, whenever I try it doesn't seem like simply being behind an enemy is enough at least.

Out of curiosity, are you talking about Ring of Fog? Because there's an alternative if you already visited all of Izalith and found Sunlight Maggot helmet, you could trade in the Skull Lantern needed to traverse the tomb of giants to Snugly the Crow for it.

Also, the basics of parrying is, you need to hit the strong attack with your shield just as they are about to strike you, usually when you hear the WOOSH sound of a weapon. It varies for every enemy though, so i recommend at least testing it out on the weak skeletons to get some practice and go from there.

You need to stop moving, face the back of your opponent, and hit regular attack to perform a backstab. Again, it varies for some creatures. Black/Silver knights are wierd, and you need to be nearer to the left side of their backs to pull it off.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I always thought Crystal Cave was pretty easy in comparison to Duke's Archives. I didn't mind the aesthetic because it reminded me of Guild Wars's caves and i played the poo poo out of that, so i forgave it.

Do the Channeler's dancing jigs increase the power of sorrounding enemies? Because when I went there the first time, i had like 1385 health, and I lost half of that to one single counter-hit from the zombies near the entrance, and they had some aura on them.

Also, I'd like to say that the music for this game is loving awesome. Gargoyles, and Ornstein and Smough's track are my favorites.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Roguelike posted:

DOUBLE EDIT: I still don't know how to beat Bed of Chaos, I just die twice every time I fight it.

The trick is, you have to take down the glowing orbs to the left and right of the Bed of Chaos. As soon as you strike down one, the ground gives way, so you have to be extra careful. As soon as you destroy them, a ramp leading up to the boss will appear, and you have to cross it and kill the heart.

I was able to completely tank the hits with my good chunk of endurance and Greatshield of Artorias, so I have no idea if you are supposed to jump to dodge her hits if you don't rely on that sort of stuff.

Roguelike posted:

Well, you can just hug his left fin (your right) and he can't hit you. But really his only dangerous attack is glitching out your camera or his tail flail if you're going for the moonlight sword.

So less gimmick and more 'trivial unless your camera screws you,' I guess.

Oh, it was the left fin, not the right one. No wonder what fight was difficult for me. the curse spikes nearly had me about three times.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 22, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Lost Izalith felt like soloing an MMO instance that's levels above you at the beginning. There were these times where i could easily block their stomps, but if i so much as turned my back for one second to reposition myself, because melee can't use the targetting system for these enemies, they kill you in two hits.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't find the stompysauruses very hard at all, especially since they damage each other, and can't come onto any of the structures that are around in the lava.

I guess I made the lovely decision of clearing them all before progressing. The notion of fighting them in lava didn't strike me as a good idea, so I pulled them one by one.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Yodzilla posted:

Wait, there's supposed to be a gargoyle that'll take you from Anor Londo back to Sen's Fortress? What the gently caress, where is he? The wiki indicates he's supposed to be where I got dropped off but there's nothing there. I lost 30 thousand+ souls because of that poo poo.

Go back to where you got dropped off, and look up. You'll see the Gargoyle standing, just chilling. Hit the talk function, and he sends you right back to sen's.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You could also obtain Large Titanite shards/Green titanite shards from the slimes in the depths. You probably have the Covetous ring by now, it helps ALOT. A fire weapon is recommended though, so you can kill them in one-two hits.

As for titanite shards, you can always kill the dudes around the forest covenant, you need 7200 souls, to buy 9 regular shards to upgrade any weapon to +5.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How exactly do you upgrade a weapon to +15? I've got a bunch of chunks to turn my +10 sword higher, but I'm not sure how to do it.

You need to acquire the Very large ember from New Londo ruins (after you open up the area leading to the Four Kings), and turn the ember to Andrei.

It's found in a chest in the the large room after you traverse the first white light in the area, up some stairs, just keep looking.

Remember that to make the transition from 14 to 15, you need to have a slab.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 23, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Would there be any place to farm for humanity that's NOT the skeleton babies? I want to try open up the Chaos Servants shortcut so I'll have a weird bug hat for the Tomb of Giants :)

Well, not exactly the most ideal place in comparison to the skeleton babies, the rats tend to rarely drop humanity.

You can always use the bonfire in the sunlight altar (past the dragon), light the bonfire, open the shortcut, and bam, you got a farm spot. Again, the Covetous serpent ring helps a ton.

I never got anything from the skeleton babies. I guess i wasn't quick enough, or i was busy taking out the Pinwheels.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I got bored of dying to Capra demon even though I can kill him in 4 hits if I could get them off so I went off wandering. Uh oh, guessing I'm not supposed to be in valley of the drakes (neat stamina shield though)

No, not really.

That small area guarded by the blue dragons looks like a dead end, it is, for now. Go through a huge portion of the game first, you'll have to eventually go through the scary ghouly ghost area.

Anonononomous posted:

Will boosting my strength past 24 ever make me swing my Zweihander faster? I've seen opponents swinging around giant axes like they were daggers. How does that work?

He might have been using the Black Knight greataxe, which actually does swing around like a small dagger if two handed (like a regular sword if two handed).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He drops 30,000 souls (on first play through). Not sure why you're walking through that area in body form though.

It's like the end of a pilgrimage for castlevania fans who think they can still make a decent whip weapon, so they go into human form to kill the dude.

They, like me, ended up being greatly dissapointed. I think to rub salt on the wound, I got murdered by a fog ninja player that spammed pyromancy AoEs right after i acquired it.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Wow so Lost Izalith, how on earth are you going to get past all these Half t-rex body things?! At least the crystal caves for all its instant death invisi-platforms didn't squish you for a one hit kill :sigh: And there's like.... 12 of them.

I use a character that relied on blocking and heavy attacks. I decided to pull them one by one with a bow and never EVER turn your back to them, unless they jump at you. High stability shields let me block the attacks completely and sneak in a hit. Tedious, but will work.

According to the thread though, you could shoot their tails so that they knock adjacent dragons senseless. Doesn't outright kill them, but it weakens them considerably.

OR if you're in the Chaos covenant, you apparently unlock a shortcut where there's a bridge leading straight to the building, you need 20 30 humanity or something to do this.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Fonzarelli posted:

I just beat the game for the first time. Full melee, solo'd all of the bosses. Ended up with the shield of artorias, a lightning longsword and stone armor. Now its time to do an awesome magic playthrough.

This game isn't that hard, Demon's Souls was a lot harder. I stopped dying once i got that shield.

Greatshield of Artorias pretty much has the highest stability in the game, which consumes less stamina when blocking hits. I'm using it too, and it makes powerhouse enemy/bosses easy as hell. Beat S&O on NG+ the first time because of it.

There's no shame. You earned it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 24, 2011

• Locked thread