Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
I know it's unglamorous when you compare it to the fancy Lightning Zweihanders and so on that everyone's running around with, but the club (the one the deprived starts with) with some standard upgrades and high strength is a surprisingly nice weapon.

One shotting the lower new londo darkwraiths with a 2 handed strong attack with mine, and remember, it's a small, pretty fast wieldy little thing, that can still have magic weapon and so on applied.. Also, has it's uses in pvp, last thing people seem to expect is to get beaten to death with a bit of wood, and generally don't take you as seriously as they would one of the more cookie cutter weapons, at least until you get a hit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

Does this mean I can glitch max level and invade whoever I want? I thought it +-10%

For co op it's 10%, but invasions pretty sure it's anything your soul level and up.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Dizz posted:

haha there's no way I'm going back to firelink shrine. I'd either have to muscle my way through the rest of the depths and hope i get a new shortcut or I have to brave the slimes, the butchers, and the other guys to get back and honestly it seems impossible right now.

If you're in the depths bonfire, getting back out really shouldn't be that hard.
Just sprint down the hallway with the roof covered in slimes, they'll drop behind you and are way too slow to follow. The butchers don't respawn, so all you'll have to kill to get out are a handfull of the semi naked hollows and 3 dogs, a single hollow archer on the stairs up to the moss merchant and the group guarding the bridge from firelink to burg. Just take it easy and you should be fine, even with 50% hp

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

As I recall, the question is basically "hey man, do you hate pyromancy?" so by answering no, you basically said you like pyromancy and want him to teach it to you. So no, no was the right answer

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Now, I thoroughly enjoy hanging out in the depths, farming rats for humanity, getting one shotted by invaders, white phantoming and all that jazz, but I do have one pet hate down there: People who summon me, run straight to the gaping dragon and enter its arena, only then for me to find out they've not killed the caster.

I know it's not exactly the hardest boss, but having magic splatting off me when I'm trying to keep my squishy melee arse from being crushed doesn't really up the fun factor for me any.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

In addition to the gravelord testing, While I've never had any getting bites as a gravelord myself, despite being human/ boss undefeated, I have invaded a gravelord once, again in undead burg. The sign was just outside the first bonfire,on the bit with the crossbow soldier, and when I arrived that was where the gravelord was standing. So I guess this explains why you don't see your own gravesign and why it doesn't seem to matter where you put it, you ARE the gravesign.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

some weapons can parry while in the offhand but not block, and some can block but not parry, at least as far as I've seen. A few I know of that can parry are the parry dagger (obviously) from new londo ruins, the scimitar and the falchion, though I've not been exhaustively testing weapons for ones that can parry, so there are most likely many more.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

try grabbing a ranged weapon of some kind, and hitting them with it as they come after you then retreat, won't be quick, but quicker than running in there berserker style and getting killed and having to start again.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Put my gravesign down in the depths on my sl 20, parked it and myself (assuming the two are separate) in a fairly obvious spot, the slime hall just outside the bonfire. Hoping I actually get a bite this time!

Edit: Smoughs armour/lightning red phantom invaded before any infectees, 1 eye down, 2 to go.

Woozey fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 1, 2011

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Nakar posted:

Betting they massively overcorrected and a bunch of already-decent weapons have S scaling in Str or Dex now. C'mon, Greataxe and Uchigatana!

Personally hoping for the basic wooden club to go from an a in strength to an s. My +15 one is already pretty tasty on my strength build dude.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Palleon posted:

You're also more likely to be summoned at the Blighttown Swamp bonfire than you are outside the boss, a lot of people drop signs there, and if they already grabbed two at the bonfire, obviously they won't be summoning you at the gate (plus you have to compete with Maneater Mildred).

Speaking of Mildred, if you get summoned at the bonfire, there's a chance the host hasn't beaten her yet, which means a nice little chunk of extra souls for you

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

to be specific, the way down to the switch is in the courtyard with the phalanx guys, either through a well in one of the corners of the courtyard or the basement of one of the buildings.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

^^: :smith:
I don't think I've ever fought those guys. Is there any good reason to?

well, they give a fair amount of souls and they're not too hard to kill if you get behind the shield (or spew some poison at them). They don't drop anything exciting as far as I know though.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I can't find the Black Sorcerer set. Anyone remember offhand where it is?

Sens fortress, you know the stairs with the crushing ball, and the first mimic at the bottom and the serpent ring through the broken wall? there's a platform with a snake caster on it above the stairs as you run down there. Get above that and jump down, the black set is in one of the rooms off the platform.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Hrm, wonder if those black phantom versions of the levels npcs have the usual drops for the type. Sitting here in new londo ruins with nm gravesign down wondering if I'm just helping my infectees farm chunks and slabs quicker.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

So, any hands on knowledge of the ring of fog nerf?

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Then I spent the rest of the night as a summoned phantom, helping people get through the Painted World. Jolly co-operation!

When I was white phantoming in painted world it was like a drat goldmine of souls. or a soulmine? whatever. Fun place too, or at least, I like it, and the snow is a nice change of scenery.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the resistance buff you get from humanity tops out at 60 (I think,I'm real loving tired and had a bunch drop in a single run and used all of them without paying close attention to my stats.

So the difference for my sl 30 resistance 11 dude between 0 humanity and 60+ humanity is 55 physical def without and 124 physical def with. A bonus of 69 points of defense, about equivalent to an extra piece of decent armour. I had no idea it made quite that much of a difference.

Edit: Whoops, ignore me, I really am tired. Had a few more drop, up to 127 now at 67 humanity, it just slows down around 60 and stops giving a guaranteed extra point every humanity

Woozey fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 5, 2011

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Make a new character and skip gaping dragon yourself, then hang around while waiting to get summoned in human form. You'll get gaping dragon action, and there's enough people down there trolling newbies with invasions that you should get enough pvp to keep you interested.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Had a great night tonight, had 2 drat titanite slabs drop from the new londo darkwraiths while farming chunks, and had an absolute blast getting invaded in the depths and blue phantoming in the forest.

Even had several fights where I beat both the host and his phantom while in my underwear because I was summoned to fight while running between areas, and I usually strip to make it faster.

Edit: ^^^ The silver knight shield is one of the best medium shields in the game when upgraded in my opinion, at least until the patch shakes things up. Not sure if it's getting a nerf like the hollow soldier shield.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

It's worth trudging through Blight Town for the eagle shield, another good piece of kit. It's not so bad once you get down to the bottom if you've got the rusted iron ring though. In fact, I quite like that part.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

on the subject of wonky invasions, during my time forest huntering last night I got summoned by my cat ring while in the depths only to find I arrived as a red phantom, not a blue one. The blue phantom there tried to kill me too, instead of going for the host. Though I can kind of see his point, the host was abusing the magic shield invincibility glitch and spamming homing soulmass, at least he had a chance to hurt me.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Just had my first spirit of vengeance invade me while farming humanity in the depths. Luckily I was in full combat gear as I had my cat ring on, awaiting forest action, and came out the better.

Had a second one (possibly same guy, not sure) while typing this up, he got the best of me that time, but it was close. Woulda had him if I hadn't missed a swing, which I'm putting down to his fog ring, and I plan to stick to that story.

Edit: Amusingly enough my only indictments have been from my blue phantoming in the forest, so I had a blue phantom set on me...for being a blue phantom.

Woozey fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 7, 2011

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Bringing up gravelord mechanics again, was watching bretts stream earlier, and while he was sitting in firelink shrine talking about getting hit on by japanese highschool girls he got infected by a gravelord. He was unable to find the sign before getting killed, but this calls into doubt the conventional wisdom that you only get effects from gravelording when in areas you've not killed the boss, if you can infect someone while simply passing through firelink with an eye activated. This might just be in 1.04 of course.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

As a regular Forest Hunter, can confirm I've been summoned on at least one occasion where the guy had already killed sif, even wandered around in sifs arena looking for him. found him in the end on the bridge near the ladder you come up from when you take the hydra route.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

miricle resonance or something. Someone in the lobby cast a miricle, presumably one wasp has attuned, and if he casts it in the same spot it ups the power of the miricle. Never pulled it off, but then I rarely run with miricles much

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Gildiss posted:

I think that was just a case where they had opened the door but not triggered the first battle with Sif. There will be no fog door and the boss only triggers when you approach the grave.

Actually fought a guy on the bridge leading to sifs doors after he opened them, when they opened there was a fog wall there. presumably he had to option to enter it as I've been sent home from players challenging the area boss while I've been invading them there before, but chose to fight me instead. He chose...poorly.

The third option would be it just being another invasion bug.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Been having a bit of fun in undead burg (Taurus skipped) with my 120. Dressed up in knight starter gear, getting invaded by lvl 1 trolls. Whack them a few times with my unupgraded broadsword, act panicky when I do sod all damage and try to do a runner. Switch to my +15 club after letting them toy with me for a while and bash their skulls in. The troll becomes the trolled.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Graviija posted:

Okay, that sounds awesome. I've gotten invaded in the Parish a couple times and just regular old beat the poo poo out of them, but I think I'm gonna try this with a longsword and my Black Knight Greataxe +5.

Just had one guy invade me while I was eating my dinner. I was chameleoned up in the watchtower with the other barrels though, so I just finished my food while he ran around looking for me. Did the usual once I was ready, and finished it with a 2 handed leap attack that killed him through his shield, despite him being fog ringed up. (seriously, that attacks so telegraphed the only reason I can imagine for him not being able to dodge it would be that he was bloody terrified).

Guy must have pissed about for half hour just to get beaten to death by a bit of wood.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

don't recall hearing anything about chunks. New londo darkwraiths might give better luck though, more of them, easier to kill, seems to be higher droprate, occasionally drop two at once and have a chance of dropping slabs too.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Been trialing darkmoon after a good while forest huntering.
Much, much prefer the cat covenant ring over the darkmoon covenant ring, if only because the guys farming lower levels can't just camp one spot in the forest as there's multiple spawn points, meaning more chance for the blue phantom to get his poo poo together, maybe meet up with another blue and make it a 2 on 2.

On the other hand, the blue eye orb is a nice change of pace, allowing me to invade in varied surroundings. And the fact the guy can't indict you amuses me. Though I don't mind in the slightest when they do in the forest, the thought of the other guy getting a "can not indict" message as I bow over their corpse raises a smile.

Still, I just consider Darkmoon a holiday, and I'll likely move back to hunters soon.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

I think the slab thing is bullshit. I've been farming them for hours now and have yet to get anything except chunks. And this is with 360 item find for the first few hours and then over 400 for the final hour.

Bad luck I guess, I'm running around with 3 pieces of +10 balder armour, all of the slabs for which came from new londo darkwraiths.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I now have enough souls for the Crest of Artorias and don't have a Hollow Soldier Shield or a Balder Shield. For gently caress's sake, I wanted a shield with reasonable stability for Capra.

If you've had no luck yet, just buy one of the kite shields from andre and upgrade it to +5 and take it like a man. It's only 3 stab behind the hollow shield at that point. Also holds up fairly well past +5

After a quick bit of upgrading the tower shield is still only 3 points behind the hss at +10. It's a very nice early game shield.

Woozey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 13, 2011

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

if you've got the strength (and the brass to go get it) for the eagle shield, could sprint down to blighttown using the tradesmens entrance and grab that, it's not that bad of a run.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

the back way up the waterwheel. If you didn't get the master key you'd need to use the long way round via darkroot and valley of the drakes, but there's nothing in the way that you can't just run around, and you seem to be into the game enough that you'd be fine with a bit of ducking and weaving.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Nah, just an old saying I picked up.

If you go in via the valley watch out for the second drake, he can push you off the ledge just by turning around if you get stuck on his tail when running past.
Go in via new londo with the master key and you should be fine so long as you take it calmly and bring a handful of purple and blooming moss. Going backwards through blighttown is a bit easier than the proper way I find, guess it's because of the enemy placement being intended to work the other way around.

Also, might seem a bit cheeky, but have you tried messaging any of them people you get summoned by and asking them if they've got a spare hss/balder you could have?

Hell, I've got a sl 21 that's not done gargoyles with a spare hss, if you're on ps 3 and I see your sign it's yours.

Woozey fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 13, 2011

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I hate liquid humanity. It's really quite worthless. I wish assisting gave item humanity or something.

I disagree, liquid humanity gives considerable bonuses to your resists, especially at lower levels. next time you die check your resists before and after you recover your remains, it will be a fairly solid little boost, and unlike the bonus from curse resist and item find it keeps going all the way to 99, not just 30.

^^^^
It's a semi rare drop. Nice sword though, use it for my pvp dude. Hits decently hard, and swings faster than the katanas, meaning faster bleed buildup.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

On my level 30 that I farmed a poo poo ton of humanity for testing this out, I had about the equivalent of a whole suit of hard leather armour from around 60 liquid humanity. He's 40 and with 90ish humanity now, but I'll check later to see how much it adds.

It's very handy to have high humanity in my opinion, which at least partially justifies my ocd obsession with farming loads of it on all my characters.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Back to hanging around taurus skipped burg on my 120 again, this time dressed in full havels. Str build, so got the dragon tooth and greatshield too. Waiting for the soapstone to grey out then running down to where havel hangs out until they come looking for me, then smearing them into the ground.

One of them messaged me saying they thought I really was a bugged Havel until I bowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

Elysiume posted:

If I join the Forest Hunters and kick the ninja off the cliff, do I get his ring?

Never tried it, but presumably if you quit and reloaded the ring should be around somewhere to pick up. I'd just wait until he goes to blight town and let one of the firebugs roast him, safer that way.

• Locked thread