Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've decided to give Blighttown a raincheck for now, and take on the catacombs for a change of pace. Do the skeletons have any weird weakness to blunt weapons as opposed to slashing or stabbing ones? I noticed that the reinforced club and the lucerne hammer seem to be doing proportionately more damage than my trusty halberd or balder knight side sword, and I'd like to know in advance before I invest my souls in turning them divine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you mean that guy with the horns, he's still in the sewers and doesn't have the key in his inventory, and I have no idea how to get back to the asylum at this point. I just went with turning the reinforced club divine, since it's not like I'm planning to ever use it for anything else, and if I did, I could just buy another one.

On another note, I started another character as a cleric to see if I wanted to invest in faith with my first one, and I came across an interesting problem...in Undead Burg, how are you supposed to get to the second bonfire between the red drake and the armored warthog? It seems weird to ask, since I've gotten so far along in the game before and I should know this by now, but in my first game I got invaded by a guy who must've opened the gate for me, so I didn't have to worry about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does anyone know who the statue of the woman with the baby in the Undead Parish is supposed to be? The best I can guess is the woman who Lord Gwynn sired all of his children with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My problem with the black knight sword is that it's slow as hell in return for not as much range as my trusty halberd. I keep trying to put the halberd down and try another weapon in my first playthrough, but it just keeps being so useful.

Whenever I find a new weapon it doesn't seem worth the time and effort to upgrade it all the way up the tree just to see if it can compare with the halberd.

EC posted:

That's the theory, and there's some lore to support that the baby is Gwyn's third child first son, who he kicked out of the pantheon because of ~reasons~. A lot of people think Solaire is that kid, but I'm not a big believer.

I thought that it was pretty clear that the Sunbro covenant was worshipping Gwynn's firstborn, from the fact that the statue you join at is in ruins like everything else associated with Gwynn's son. Solaire is clearly supposed to be another chosen undead from another world that has come into contact with the player's world, just like he tells you when you first meet him.

The Great Hollow, Painted World, and Ash Lake are clearly places where a lot of content was cut, since there's pretty much no point to the areas. Ash lake looks great, and the hydra's weird chase sequence is an impressive idea, but there's no point to any of it beyond a couple items and a covenant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Genocyber posted:

??? You're acting like lore is the important thing, which it's not. Dark Souls is a gameplay based game that just so happens to have some good lore as well. Painted World is there because it's a fun level to play (and something of a callback to the Demon's Souls level design).

It's not that they're pointless because they lack lore, they're pointless because they're hidden away with no real reason to ever go there and not much to do when you get there. Ash Lake is really bad about that, all it has a couple of scallops and a hydra with a weird chase sequence attached to it. The only items there are to pick up are a couple of dragon scales and a magic spell. I love the look and the feel of the area, but there's no reason at all to stick around after meeting the stone dragon.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Painted world was actually the very FIRST level they made in Dark Souls. It was their test level and it was included because the director liked it - it wasn't originally part of the final design.

So they didn't cut anything from it at all - it's just that it's not tied into the main story in any way and was never meant to be.

So they were planning to gently caress over melee characters from the start with those jerks who toxic you when you kill them?! :darksouls: :gonk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The first time I did co-op in Anor Londo I focused on the opposite one that the host did. I was so proud that I was doing almost the same amount of damage until the host finished his off. :qq: I hadn't even gotten past the archers, I only put down my summon sign as a lark without knowing that you didn't have to be human to be summoned.

Also, thanks for the help with the catacombs! I extracted my cleric successfully. I didn't even know that the great scythe was down there to get.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spears are really the best weapon for dealing with enemies in tight corridors (and halberds, due to the fact that the R2 of most polearms is so wide in its swipe that the game doesn't realize that you should be hitting the wall like you do with swords). Thrusting weapons in general are great for dealing with enemies in a slow, methodical, low-risk way, and polearms have such great reach and strength that it's hard not to use them.

They're really only a liability when you either need to deal with something quickly or you're fighting an enemy whose attacks you can't tank or predict. And when the camera and targeting work against you of course.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It totally is. I think there was a developer message in the asylum when I started the game as a ranger.

The hawk ring trick you'd naturally find out about if you were in the habit of using bows all the time, which nobody really is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just realized that these are the main things that make Dark Souls difficult for people:

-Losing your experience every time you die unless you manage to find where you died and pick it back up
-Optional multiplayer full of dicks
-Obtuse game mechanics that don't make sense unless you've been playing for a while/look it up online
-The game doesn't pause while you mess around with inventory

You know what other game has these elements? Minecraft. Granted, it's a totally different type of game, but still.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I weakened all of the chaos eaters beforehand, but when I jumped down in the pit to help Siegmeiyer, one of them broke my weapon and I instantly got poisoned and bogged down by the swamp water, and in the confusion I died. When I got back to the same point, he decided to die when I talked to him, but he still hadn't finished off all the chaos eaters yet, so while he was trying to die one of them got me from behind.

:mad: Dammit, Sieg, can't you do anything right?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The swamp in Blighttown isn't so bad once you get used to tanking poison damage. I just used a bow to pick off mosquitos before they came close, because when they're right by you, they tend to hover just a bit too high for a lot of weapon animations to hit them.

Of course, every time you come back to the swamp, you have to ether take care of the boulder dudes, take the ferris wheel of death, or wander down the rickety bridges past the dog people again. Why does this area have the most NPCs out of any area of the game after Firelink? :gonk:

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of amazing chests (crossposting from the lego thread)...:v:

SlothfulCobra posted:

I made another thing in LDD! This time with a Dark Souls theme.

Just a chest....:unsmigghh:

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 8, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always bow or do some kind of gesture when going into co-op, mainly because half the time you're going to be waiting around for a second summon anyways.

Besides, of course you're going to be friendly when you need this other guy to have your back when the going gets tough. If you're a summon, you need them to be your estus lifeline, and if you're summoning, you need the them to not goof off like a dumbass.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hate Lost Izalith.
I hate Lost Izalith.
I hate Lost Izalith.
I hate Lost Izalith.
Why do people only complain so much about Blight town when there's this area?

I hate the lava that kills you when you forget to wear the stupid ring, I hate the dumb dragon butts that there are far too many of to clear out without being really tedious, I hate the aesthetic of the area (probably the worst looking area in the game), I hate the lava that wrecks your armor if you go across it to many times, I hate the floating demons that are boring and tedious to fight, I hate the lack of any warpable bonfires.

And of course, I hate the stupid bang-your-head-against-a-wall-until-it-works boss. IF YOU'RE MADE OF WOOD, YOU SHOULD BURN DOWN WHEN YOU'RE COVERED IN FIRE, NOT BECOME STRONGER.

I hate Lost Izalith.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of blight town, I've gotten to the point where I'm about to finish and I'm going back to get things that I missed before I fight Gwynn/buy and play the DLC. I've gone back there to find the whip, and I never did figure out what to do with this giant spider. Can anyone give some advice on this?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stay away from the teeth, go for the tail, if you're having a lot of trouble, you can summon.

I guess if you have the master key it's optional, but you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I think he only really has one attack that uses the teeth. I suppose the design is way cooler than the boss deserves.

I love the fakeout intro cutscene though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the things I love about Dark Souls is how it's broken up to be presented to the player in a cycle of impossible challenge, challenge proves to be possible after the player diligently keeps trying, and then an even more impossible challenge.

The only real exception to the whole pattern is Seathe, because he cheats.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I started a new playthrough to get my sea legs again after taking a long break for this game.

I decided to skip killing the boar, and MAN, is it crazy to go ANYWHERE NEAR his territory. He can sneak up on you if you're not careful, and he's got a really long tether, so you're only really safe once you get through a doorway that he can't fit through. It's a shame that there aren't more minibosses later on in this game to sneak past, because it is exhilarating.

Also, bonfires don't seem to be resetting the boar's position. Is that how it's supposed to be?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can tank the lightning pretty easy if you have a shield with good lightning defense up when you get shot at. I'd recommend the Eagle shield. There's also the fact that when you're on the second bridge, every other lightning bolt gets blocked by the pendulums anyways, so it's just a bit more timing.

Of course, I can't think of any real reason you'd ever get hit more than once or twice, unless you're waiting way too long at the pendulums.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Assuming you're wearing heavy armor, don't. Learn to dodge the attacks rather than tanking them. Or just increase your damage output, if possible. Or kindle the Firelink fire to 20 flasks, if you haven't/

You say that, but my character looks so spiffy with Havel's hat, pants, and gloves and with his ring, I can still do a medium roll. :cool:

I'll avoid damage wherever I can, but when I get hit, I want to be hit less hard. I never would've taken down the stray asylum demon without this stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Solaire's neat and all, but in my latest playthrough I've been summoning this dude in gold armor with these neat hook swords!! He doesn't have the slightly creepy too-friendly vibe that Solaire has going on. ME and him are gonna be best buds until the end of the game!! :buddy:*

*still in the depths

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That seems like a very hopeless prospect if you look around the Kiln of the First Flame. See how everything is covered in ash? That's how big the flame used to be. How's Frampt's next sucker even going to open the door? He's plum outta lordsouls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The worst thing about the archers is just how drat long the trek back to that spot every time takes. Last playthrough I didn't even get hit by a single arrow, I just fell off at the pillar while getting ready for the final mad dash. TWICE.

Alabaster White posted:

I will send a cash prize to whoever is the first to kill him :toxx:

Just wait until he quits before leaving the asylum.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there any real factors to choosing a shield besides stability and weight?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dark Souls has a way of making every death seem like it's "fair," and it's your fault for making it kill you. It's like you're in an abusive relationship with stockholm syndrome.

"It's okay Dark Souls, I deserved that."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are there any lefthanded enemies in Dark Souls? It seems like it might really mess with the standard flow of combat.

God knows it would cause so much confusion if you could switch your character's hands.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the gods may have just really hated the giants' faces. Every other giant has some kind of mask bolted to their face.

Giants have a depressing lot in the world of Lordran. They toil for the gods their whole lives, get no respect, and when they die, they're just shipped off to Nito to play with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got into Dark Souls after watching Geop's lp of it, but now watching Slowbeef's blind run, it's just so fascinating watching someone else's journey and discoveries on their own. Him pondering how to backstab made me realize just how intensely I've stared at enemy butts. He found a firekeeper soul, but instead of hanging onto it, he instantly used it.

But the best part was definitely how he gave up on fighting the boar, but he had accidentally lured it into the fire one last time when he wasn't paying attention, so it was already dead when he quit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I absolutely hate going through New Londo. Even if I one shot the ghosts, I still absolutely loving loathe it. I'm somewhat tied on which area was worse to play in, Blighttown or New Londo?

Lost Izalith.

Seriously, at least New Londo is trying to do something interesting, and it's pretty nice to look at. Lost Izalith is just there to get in the way between points A and B. Lava is not interesting at all, and the shock value of certain enemies reappearing isn't worth all that much and it was more exciting back in Anor Londo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My very first invasion was a guy wearing Smough's armor. He was actually a pretty cool dude, he opened up the bonfire under the drake in the undead parish for me, but I just spent my time desperately trying to push him up to a cliff so I could knock him off, since I couldn't damage him for poo poo. Then he killed me in one hit with I think the pursuers spell?

I assumed he was a hacker because he had no arms. Turns out Smough's armor is just weird as gently caress.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What is a crazy weapon I should base a Dex build around?

Ghost Blade. :getin:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Uh...what makes Frampt run away? I was on a character who never even met Kaathe, but never spoke to Frampt, and he yelled at me and went down his hole while I was passing by him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Did you place the Lordvessel on your own without him somehow? Apparently that makes him go away but I dunno, I think you'd remember that.

Nope. I've just been working on trying to kill Seathe.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SO I finally got the DLC, and it's great. Artorias was a fun fight, and I really like the design of the Oolacile township.

I'm a little nervous about leveling up though. I don't want to level up out of summoning range, and I'm level 80 now. I keep seeing the numbers 100-120 as the levels you should be around for being summoned in the DLC, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get enough souls to level up to 100. Is that a new game plus sort of thing?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been trying out a run with curved swords and a pure dex build. I started out with the Wanderer class, and I never upgraded str, and at first it was neat to not be able to fall back on my crutches of the halberd or the Silver Knight Str Sword, but I'm in Anor Londo now, and my +10 falchion just is not really working with these silver knights. I can't kill them in a single riposte, and I'm only getting about 54 damage a hit. Is the falchion's overall damage output not too great in the long run, or is this just one of those slash resistance is a bitch things? Should I hop to a different weapon, try an exotic upgrade path, or just give up and boost strength past 10?

I've got Ricard's Rapier, the Painting Guardian Sword, Estoc, and the Broadsword ready at around +5 if I need to switch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alright, I guess I'll stick with my Falchion and upgrade Ricard's as a backup.

Oh by the way, when you get summoned, do you go by your gamertag, or the name on the character file? I keep seeing these DS19019203209 guys, which seems like something you'd put for unimaginative naming. I also wouldn't mind some anonymity when I do something dumb like jostling the power cord halfway through a bossfight (solo'd Smough, though :cool:).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically, serial killers be crazy, or possibly, people who falsely admit to being serial killers be crazy.

Jokes in bad taste inevitable though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In less bad-jokes-about-murder news, Yahtzee finally covered Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I just took a character through the Catacombs, killed all the necromancers, and none of them dropped the lantern. Any advice for how to deal with the Tomb of the Giants now? I'm running a Str/Faith character, so I can't make use of the cast light spell.

I know I can go fool around in Lost Izalith, but I really want to snag some sweet, sweet humanity from Patches and Rhea for the Darkwraith Covenant first, and maybe some for the Chaos Servant covenant.

• Locked thread