Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

SolidHavoc posted:

I have two questions that may or may not have been answered, but if someone who has already played it can answer, that would be great. I've never played the series so I'm not sure if I have all this information correct.

1)Does the co-op 'trick' work in Dark Souls? Doesn't matter if it's laborious, just want to know if it is possible to play through the game with a buddy.

2)Does voice chat work in-game? I know private doesn't, just wanting to know if we will be able to communicate in any way while playing. (if we can play together)

I also want to know about 2. Playing games and talking to a friend, even if we're not co-oping, is sort of... necessary for me. Like, I don't want to have the same game as them and not be able to talk about it.

Tell me I don't have to go sit by my computer and Skype this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just picked this up earlier and this game is pretty sweet. I can see that if I was more patient I would probably never die, especially if I grabbed every enemies attention and dragged them all back to the same place I know how to fight at.

However, half the fun is retreating to mildly acceptable places (like bridges) and attempting to duel them as they all claw in your direction.

I don't understand parries and I don't know how to kick. I have no idea how to tell if one thing is better than the other. I am really digging this clueless gaming.

Darth Windu posted:

There doesn't seem to be much activity, I don't know - maybe it is because the world is so open, but this game feels much less populated than the last one. I am most disappointed in the lack of gravelords and vagrants, personally.

Maybe it's because I just picked it up but I've seen lots of people in the starting areas. The first boss dudes room was just plastered in bloodstains.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Dragon stuff:Lead the first black knight to the dragon where he got roasted. That was a pretty easy kill for a ring.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm really interested in this game, but some of you are scaring me away from it.

I don't mind a challenge at all. I don't get upset if I'm forced to restart something if I made a mistake. The thing is, I also don't get into games that are hopelessly hard, especially games that require you to remember and spam out weird button sequences to win (ex: Ninja Gaiden games).

I also play games more just to have fun. I don't care or want to execute things perfectly (I also think cheesing things is funny -- something often talked about here AND that's also why I don't care if I'm repeating parts, I'm never going for a "perfect run" or whatever). I'm thrilled if my K/D ratios in games are above 0.3. I'm almost ranked at the bottom of leaderboards on my friends list in pretty much every game. I don't play games on easy difficulty, but I never bother with Hard difficulty in most games.

Also, I tend to play games for like an hour at a time, tops.

Will this game just needlessly frustrate me or is it still worth my while? It looks really fun, but if I'm just going to hit a wall after playing for half an hour, I'll skip it.

If you only play an hour a day, you may pass the first boss in a week! Most of that time will be spent learning game mechanics which are really simple, they just require patience. Then, getting to the boss might take more than an hour because of the patience required not to die getting there.

Then you might die at the boss.

None of that includes the tutorial.

The game is a lot of fun, I'm digging it. I guess my friend got back to the starting area somehow. That's cool.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Dear Jerks,

I'm not throwing my white soapstone loving on the ground for shits and giggles. Let me get some rad humanity, dickheads.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Holy crap, the gargoyle is such a terrible boss. It's pretty much them trying to make this retarded, we're going to kill you no matter how rad you think you are object of concentrated hate.

You can die without ever getting a chance to recover if they manage to both shoot fire at you. Thankfully, the only real way to win without continually yelling gently caress is to cheese it with the Drake Sword. Interesting design, though. Make a stupid boss but hope the character chops off his tail so they think "Wait, what about the dragon's tail?" Then you do that and win in thirty seconds and bitch about how much time you just wasted.

Let me cycle enemies. These controls are so dumb. I don't need to loving gesture if you're online doesn't even work. Patch in invites or suck my dick, From.

This game is pretty rad, knocked a knight off a balcony and then dropped down on him for the finish. Vertical melee duels need to happen more often.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Funkmaster General posted:

You already can.

:frogout:

How do I cycle enemies with deactivating target lock.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

Flick up or down on the right thumbstick.

Woah.

Thanks, this game just got way less dumb and way more enjoyable.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just lost 10,000 souls thanks to curse and not being able to find a bonfire in The Depths.

Games an rear end in a top hat.

the Paper posted:

Is anyone else having trouble summoning phantoms? Forgive me if this has been answered, but whenever I try to summon someone it always says "summoning failed". Is this a known issue with the game, does it require a restart of my ps3 or something? I'm right before the gargoyle bosses and would like some help.

Had that problem earlier. Still haven't joined or assisted anyone. Just get the Drake Sword and 5 shot the gargoyle. It means you're good at hard games or something.

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 6, 2011

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Traxis posted:

Sometimes I start with more than 10 Estus flasks, anybody know why? I though it might be from people + rating my messages but I checked and they are all at 0.

The bonfire you're at has been kindled by you or lots of people in your area.

Also, if you happen to be having lots of trouble with the Capra Demon go up the stairs and hug the wall all the way right. That thing can't hit you and you can plunge attack for mad points.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Wang posted:

This should be in the OP I just read this tried it got him first try, once the dogs are dead this is the easiest way to kill him in four hits, THANK YOU!!!

Wait until I drop this bombshell on my no guide bros: The drake sword has a ranged attack. Two handed heavy attack.

Degrades like a bitch.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So the multiplayer seems to be working today. That, or the sewers are just full of people (or maybe people close to my level?). Anyways, some dude invaded my world hopeful to get me cursed or something.

Sucks about him spawning right in front of me and my summoned partner. That sucks real bad.

Pretty much been farming humanity and souls off the sewer boss. Really easy once you get it. I can also point out all 22 ghost spawns after you unlock the shortcut in the Ruins. Yeah.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Tokubetsu posted:

I just punched myself in the arm, repeatedly, in frustration. Fucka capra demon. I'm done. I'll try again when I don't feel like poo poo. Almost wanted to kick the 360 off. I didn't even quit, gently caress that save. Don't even care if it gets corrupted.

Climb the stairs. Kill the dogs. Hug the wall and go to the right. If he tries to attack you he should fall. Plunge attack. Repeat.

So, what's the quickest way out of Blight Town? I'm assuming it's [spoiler] up the water wheel and not over by the most evil stone throwers in the world.[spoiler] Special shout out to the douchebag who left me to get ganked by them while he did glorious battle with a fly.

fake edit: Got to the Valley of Drakes or w/e. Haha, obviously those really good items are trapped. Haha, I really want them. Haha, back in Blight Town.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
The catacombs. Anybody else just been kicking the skeletons off of every part of the map?

I was walking down a hallway, past all these tombs, and then I see a big rear end dude camping. No idea how to kill it but I want what's behind.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is there any way to permenantly kill the skeletons in the catacombs? I want to go down there to join the gravelord covenant. I might just be too low level (20) but I can put them down fine with my drake sword, its just they don't stay dead and they never stop chasing you. I've only done a couple of bosses so far however.

Kick them over the ledge

Honestly, my favorite part about this game has just been avoiding a lot of the spoilers people post about dealing with things or what's where. The clues people leave in my world are enough to satisfy my knowledge.

I'm really digging this new Castlevania 3D genre (done right).

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

coyo7e posted:

Finally killed Havel, that douchebag.. Took a +5 spear and 2 lightning things (which I wasted during the attempts) and then I finally got a clue and just chipped away at him and occasionally nailed him with firebombs and backstabs.

I'm getting SICK of being summoned by pubbies who have no idea what's going on though; I've been boxed into a hallway with the host behind me and they didn't know how to heal SO many goddamned times.. :argh:

Wait until you carry a dude through Blight Town only to have him charge the boss head on before you and the other guy can get through the fog. Screw that guy.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Hey I am worried I ruined my chances of joining the Gravelord Covenant. I went into the catacombs and ran pretty far in and there was this dude next to the first bonfire who was holding this weird skull lamp. He attacked me so I hit him but I'm not sure if he might have been the covenant guy or something.

Didn't know about the covenant but those dudes with lamps raise the dead. Kill them.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Just helped some dude through the sewers while I was down there farming.

The online is so rewarding in this game no that it seems to be working a little better. Something was seriously up with the first day the game came out because very rarely have I encountered people failing to connect to my game. Lots of fun, digging this system. Might go help some bros out and farm the boss in Blight Town.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Joined the Gravelord Covenant. I think I messed up because I just gave the Gravelord all of the items he wants instead of using them so they multiply. Anybody sell those Invader summon items?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So I guess nobody is in the sewers because my gravelord douchebaggery granted me nothing. Guess I'm going to go be a prick at The Fortress.

I should probably get a bro with me so we can just knock invaders off the ledge while they get stormed by my invaders.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Man, once you get past a certain point, souls don't even matter. I'm 44 outside Sen's, I should probably go kill the Discharge but I just don't care. It's like half the magic is gone because the thing I should trying to acquire the most of doesn't even matter right now. This 10% thing is just killing it, I'm in a different server, different lobby, different room, whatever, and the person has to be in the same area as me and within 10% of my level? Uuuggggh, why. I'm lucky if I even find one in an area. Without any level guide for what everyone is for a certain area this multiplayer is just luck.

I mean, the design fits with the game but talk about dividing the community. Tons of fun with friend, zero fun spending an hour turning the xbox on and off trying to get into the same thing.

Another person disappointed in multiplayer, oh oh oh.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Comrade Flynn posted:

Holy poo poo I hate Sif. I've never had much trouble until this rear end in a top hat. gently caress him. I'm sitting out here waiting for someone to hopefully drop a summon sign.

Is your shield decent? There are two attacks I can't block without taking damage and those are A) when Sif does the double spin aka switches the side the sword is held and B) the dash towards you with a strike. For the double spin, either roll towards or away, you should land in a safe zone either way unless you're dumb. For the dash, retain some distance and keep blocking, the attack seems to do way more damage the closer you are.

Also, if you're not as fast as you can possibly be then you'll probably lose because speed > ugly armor.

Not a hard boss, people just don't seem to understand how to beat bosses that don't don't let you fillet their rear end in a top hat.

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 9, 2011

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

RBA Starblade posted:

If I just finished the undead church's belltower, how much longer until I can join the gravelord covenant? Is it in the catacombs under the cemetery? If so that'll be a while yet.

Just go into the catacombs with a divine weapon or prepare to kick every skeleton over the ledge (this is the best option because you feel like a badass after getting to the gravelord.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Sarcophallus posted:

Is there a bonfire in Sen's Fortress?

Yes.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
So what do I do in Anor Londo or whatever it's called? I've been running around her for 30 minutes and made zero progress. Opened every chest and every way leads to a dead end.

If I have to run across the map to go to somewhere else then gently caress this game. Early game was so well designed, why is this late game starting to become a stinker.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Phoix posted:

Go back to the bridge where you fought the Gargoyle. Drop down beside the stairwell and climb the support beam to the other building.

Okay, that seemed like something I should do but at the same time it doesn't stand out enough for me to think I should do it.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Haha, oh wow. Finally get to where I'm supposed to be going and a guy invades me. Sure do love invisible guys I can't lock onto.

Putting down the game for awhile, this game is kind of a mess.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

evilalien posted:

For anybody who want's the rewards from the Darkmoon Blade covenenant but can't see to find anybody to invade, I just got a souvenir of reprisal from a harpy so you can farm those I guess.

How did you join that covenant? I'd trust the wiki but it seems to be a mess of internet fables poorly translated strategy guides.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

evilalien posted:

The wikis are accurate as far as I know. Get the darkmoon seance ring from the catacombs behind the crumbling wall you can break open. Go to the spinning staircase thing in Anor Londo and put it in the lowest position so you can get to the bonfire at the bottom. Equip the ring so the statue near the bonfire disappears and then kneel down on the rug at the bottom to make the covenant. Don't enter the fog door otherwise you break the covenant.

Ahh, thanks. Second bonfire is such a bad way to describe a location. Was at a different one because I never found that bonfire. Guess I'll be playing this game a little more tonight.

Also, lost 180,000 souls, didn't even give a poo poo. Really don't see a point in leveling, it's either I go up and go against dudes with good builds so I don't have to use the Havel ring and Defense ring or just keep using those. Don't see a purpose in the Serpent ring since it doesn't affect the drop rate of humanity on rats.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

DeathSandwich posted:

You should meet my friend Flamelurker or False King.

I really can't say my gripe with it is that things kill you quick, because things killed you quick in demons souls too. I think my big thing is that dark souls really doesn't give you a sense of direction. Look at how many people wind up in new londo looking for the second bell and freaking out about the ghosts. That place is literally a dead end until about halfway though the game and you wouldn't know unless you're the poor fucker that actually went back there. In demons souls there was always a linear progression and there were no dead ends like that. After 1-1 you could keep on going to 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, ect ect and no matter where you went you could still advance the plot (particularly because none of the -1 levels were terribly hard to begin with).

That said, I still think I like dark souls better, there is just a sense of wonder and scale that I never got out of demons souls. Seriously the first time I seen Anor Londo I literally said "holy poo poo" out loud, it was just such a radical shift in environment and completely unexpected.

Having not played Demon, I'd say that the real issue with the game currently isn't with the lack of direction but with the lack creativity in enemies engagement. So far I've broken down every enemy by strafing right and attacking once they swing. The guys in the woods were really cool because they would at least kick me when I had my shield up.

Really, once you start moving to the right you've beaten just about every enemy in the game (as far as I can tell) and the rest is just an endurance test till you either get sick of the game or win.

Max speed really breaks the game :(

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Phonics posted:

PSA: Buy indictment from the NPC in the Bell Tower and use them if you get invaded so the book of the guilty actually works.

Please.

I need people to invade. The New Londo Ruins are just so empty without me in your game hiding with Ghosts.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
A week in and I've already stopped having fun with the game. It's just an endurance test now. "Oh, let's kick the player in the nads a million times." Well I'm fine after the first two, thanks. Spawn me closer to the bosses, please.

Make multiplayer work.

Make me care about dying.

Ugh, really, there is nothing I see in this game now. It's boring, dull, and somehow lifeless after such a great start. They've really botched a spectacular game with the horrible online components and forgettable combat.

It's like, someone on the internet said the game was the best thing ever as a joke and everyone fell for it. Now everyone is just like "Yeah, this game is rad" and then you think about it and you're like "Is it fun?"

No. Not really. It's not even hard, it's just running in circles around enemies until you get bored and try to speed it up and then you fail because It's Not That Kind Of Game.

Someone convince me that this game is good, please.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Nick Cage posted:

Noone cares about convincing you of anything, go away.

Sorry I took a piss in your rear end in a top hat. Enjoy the game!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
:siren:imminent goonsay:siren:

Gazmachine posted:

You're upset because you now know that, no matter which game you complete on what difficulty setting, it will mean nothing, because you were beaten by Dark Souls.

If there was room for humour in Dark Souls, it would have been amazing to have one of the perennial trapped souls who tend to be shopkeepers be some angry kid who wants his pat-on-the-back games back, but he can't get out of the Undead Asylum to go play them and has been stuck there for a thousand years.

"Did...did you bring me...is that...Call of Duty 48? Oh thank you! Thank you! Give it to me! What do you mean you don't have it?! It was just there in your hand! You fool, you lost it!"

EDIT: I bloody love the dialogue in this game. The shopkeepers are mental, especially the undead guy in the Burg. I love the jaded, judgemental guy in Sen's Fortress aswell.

Okay.

There are some serious flaws Dark Souls that I think a lot of people are looking over. People talk about games being hard but what makes a game hard? It's just some empty PR word that's thrown around.

It's difficult for me to enjoy this game when a huge component, multiplayer, doesn't even work. I was wandering around the Archives and never found a stone and never got summoned (yes, I can't see stones when my is down and I have to be human to summon).

Nobody even invaded me. Actually, nobody ever invades me because there are so many rules for multiplayer.

1. You have to be online.
2. You have to be human.
3. You can't be the boss in the area.
4. You need to be 10% SL away from one another.
5. You need the right stone (some are consumable)

I'm sure there are more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Didn't they include an offline option? Why not just have that be the solution for people who don't want to be invaded? They also have the covenant that prevents you from getting invaded.

Why do they have all these rules to prevent people from playing with one another? It completely destroys such a potentially good part of the game. Imagine if being in the Darkmoon covenant meant that you could invade people because there was a reason to buy indictments. What if the Gravelord could actually mess with people's games?

The multiplayer component is really there for when you figure the enemies out, when they stop being the challenge and instead turn into traps. The enemies in this game are pretty easy to figure out, throw in some rear end in a top hat with a hammer and suddenly you've got a challenge.

This is actually a pretty easy fix, too. Remove the SL requirement and you're golden. Add in a friend's list only soapstone for good measure.

I only mention the multiplayer so much because the combat with regular enemies is so bland. You can dodge just about every enemy attack by circling the enemy. When you get ~good~ at the game you still have to play it the same way you did before, aka slow and steady. If I'm good at killing certain enemies because I've figured them out then shouldn't I just be able to remove them quickly? Symphony of The Night had similar combat but the better I got at that game, not on a stats page, the faster I could take enemies down.

But yeah, This Isn't One Of Those Games games~

:goonsay:

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Red Mundus posted:

Alright I give up. What the gently caress is ceaseless discharges gimmick? I have over 300+ fire resistance and a shield with 80% fire reduction that I made from a boss soul and am decked out in Havel's armour. I am also at less the 50% equip load so I can still roll and run.

His attacks take 30%-40% of my health and I cannot dodge his attacks. Am I missing something?

Also does anyone else feel that after Anor Londo that the game takes a big poo poo? Everything so far feels so half-assed and badly implemented. I miss the beginning were I was decked out in nothing but wanderer armour, a basic spear and my wits. Now it just feels like I'm cheesing everything.

Every boss pro-tip: use Iron Flesh.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Shalinor posted:

EXCEPT FOR THE BOSS OF ANOR LANDO.

Turning yourself into a lightning rod on the lightning boss is a bad, bad idea. It's ok when you're taking down the first one, but the second one will one-hit kill you with their lightning attacks if you go metal.

EDIT: Dammit, I wish I had known about Kaathe before siding with that tooth chattering rear end in a top hat at the bonfire. Oh well, something to do in another playthrough.

If I can lie to people in the game then I should lie to people in the thread :colbert:

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Does anybody think it's retarded that 'No' is the answer highlighted initially instead of 'Yes' when trying to summon someone?

Yeah, because when I get invaded and want to get assistance against low level pyros, I'd like to not have to stop moving to select 'Yes.'

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
That's why you switch to the bastard sword and run around using force to make openings for your Minsc-isms.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

synertia posted:

gently caress Sif and gently caress Darkroot Gardens. I just need phantoms to help with Sif, but I can't get them because you get invaded by fog ring laggy guys as soon as you enter (I'm in east asia). I got Sif down to 50% but I just want to move on. Is there any way to get around this problem? My character isn't really meant for PvP and I really kind of get front-side backstabbed a ton. Not sure where most of the players are from, but it doesn't seem like here based on the names.

Join the Forest Covenant so you don't get invaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

RickVoid posted:

Good news everyone! Death From Above is a viable strategy!

I still haven't killed him, but I'm closer!

Or you could buy firebombs and be done with the fight in 20 seconds.

So the patch needs to get here, asap. Summoned two guys in to help me on Nito (solo'd him today) but the game froze. Need that patch.

Just opened the shortcut, time to beat the Lost Poopsalot.

edit; sidenote: pvp in the duke's archives is just going swell. Was going swell around 60~ until someone generously donated 800,000 souls to me when the decided to miss a jump and fall through the caves. Guess your full Havel and Lightening Zwei +5 can't keep up with my Ornstein set. :allears:

Buckwild Dorf fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 6, 2011

• Locked thread