Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

What the gently caress, why not

http://goo.gl/ChYvd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Not seeing my link here, I think it got lost in the shuffle. http://goo.gl/ChYvd

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

So I remember reading somewhere in here that there's a patch coming at the end of the month that'll fix multiplayer. Do we have a source for that or is that just wishful thinking?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vatek posted:

Patch notes mention changes to matchmaking but they haven't expanded on it any further than that. Personally, I'm not gonna bother with a PVP-themed character unless that patch makes some major improvements on the 360 side.

Well that's better than nothing, I guess. I just want to punish the guilty, drat it, From

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Found the patchnotes:

A bug where the effect of Magic Shield and Strong Magic Shield work even when not blocking
A bug where there is a delay in incantation time brought forth by consecutive use of magic
Revision of the Fog Ring's unfair effect on locking
Revision of the effectiveness of Tranquil Walk of Peace
A data read error during a complete map change
Alterations to matching conditions/requirements (etc.)

※The details on the improvement of these items will be announced again at a later date

At this time, we are truly very sorry to everyone for the great amount of inconvenience and trouble we have caused. Once more, we give our apologies.

All of that owns. Can't wait.

e: Oh yeah, read somewhere that they're rebalancing scaling and elemental weapons. The real Dark Souls starts here

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 18, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Orcrez posted:

Im having a hard time treading items with the crow? I place the stuff in his nest but when i log back in i don't get anything?

You sure you're using the right nest? There's a smaller one down the hill a ways from the big crow's nest on a rock outcropping

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hey, playing right now, bumped my router off and turned it back on. Not seeing messages or ghosts anymore, even though I'm connected to Live and I can get a reading off the Book of the Guilty. Tried quitting the game and resetting to the dashboard, nothing. Any ideas?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hahaha, dicking around in the Gaping Dragon's lair waiting to be summoned and I tried hitting a wall with my sword. Turns out they coded in an echo sound effect in wide open areas. What a nice little touch

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hahahaha gently caress this poo poo, I died to the titanite demon after I killed the ninth bug in Lost Izalith without realizing that the sunlight maggot dropped. Can't find the drop anywhere and I've died a couple times since then. Am I completely screwed or can I still get the motherfucker?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Volitaire posted:

Yea its probably gone.

gently caress. Oh well, guess I'll go save Dusk

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Thrill Cosby posted:

How should I pronounce "Smough?" Does it rhyme with rough or is it something else? Does anyone in the game say his name? Help goons!

I say it "smug." See if you can guess why

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

So is Resistance actually a useless stat? I put a point or two into it with my first character.

It's not totally useless, but it's definitely use-impaired. It doesn't really contribute a lot to resistances and no weapons scale off of it, so most of the benefits you get from it are the same bonuses you get from putting a level into any stat

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buzzsaw.gif posted:

holy poo poo a jagged ghost blade dropped FINALLY

spoiler alert: it's garbage unless you feel like pumping it up to +5, then it turns into expensive garbage

Just buy some transient curses and farm ghosts for ten minutes, you'll have all the curses you'll ever need

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Olesh posted:

Eh. I disagree. Two-hand it and you can block ghost attacks with it (although it's not as good as a shield), and ghosts go down to three quick R1 slashes, even without any upgrades.

Yeah, but you can pop a curse and then kill ghosts in like one hit with whatever absurdly overpowered endgame stuff you want, and also block with a real shield and have armor reduce your damage

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elysiume posted:

What does Hydra do attackwise? It doesn't appear to be blockable and it kills me in one hit.

Maybe I should put some points in vitality. My stamina bar is longer than my health bar.

If you approach from the valley of the drakes entrance iirc you can have cover more or less the entire way to the lake. Get in there and stay close to the ledge and she'll stop shooting water blasts and start trying to eat you

e: unless you're talking about the ash lake hydra, for that one just run between the stone dragon and the entrance until it fucks up a jump, lands on sand, and dies instantly. Just priceless

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

^^^I used Firelink shrine and just ran to the elevator

Ball Stink posted:

I really hate being in limbo with this game. I have no idea what I want to do. Do I test data with my level 710 twink? Nope, all data will be garbage. What about my reroll? Nnnnnnope, don't know the scaling letters of the new weapon or if scaling itself was modified internally... can't pick an upgrade path I *know* I'll be happy with. Aren't these just LETTERS under the item? I figured at least the most important items would be updated in wikis by now, if they are I missed it.

Have you tried checking the Japanese wikis, dude? The patch has been out long enough there that most of this poo poo should have been updated.

The wait's on this poo poo's breaking my balls, though. Every loving time I die because of the input lag glitch I get just a little bit angrier than I would because there's a loving patch that fixes this poo poo that we don't have.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

So is Ceaseless Discharge really that difficult?

He's the one boss I actually killed on my first try and all I did was dodge his tentacles and stay kind of close to the cliff edge.

He's actually pretty much a joke unless you fight him right after Quelaag. It's just a super-boring fight.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Why wouldn't you fight him after Quelaag?

Because you just saw a bitchin' cutscene about a golem opening up a cool fortress and you want to go get your poo poo pushed in in the best level in the game?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

Easily.

Seriously, Sen's Fortress is probably one of my favorite levels in any video game ever, it's just so hilariously nasty. I actually sat there for like five minutes laughing like an idiot when I got nailed by the spike elevator, it was just hilarious. I wish the second half of the game had been anywhere near as well designed.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sighnoceros posted:

I sat there for like five minutes just LOOKING at the elevator before getting on. "Why is this covered in blood, I don't think this is a good idea...." Such a great area, and you feel so bad rear end running across the narrow bridges and dodging swinging blades and boulders and bombs and snake wizards and poo poo after you've gone through it a couple times.

That was actually part of the reason I lost my poo poo over it, the first time I got to the elevator, saw the massive bloodstain, and said "Hmm, I should probably stay away from that."

Ten minutes later I was walking back through, had forgotten about the bloodstain, and thought the elevator was a shortcut. Five seconds after I'd got on I remembered, then slammed straight into the spikes

But yeah, Sen's is probably the best example of how Dark Souls level design should be. The first couple times through it's crazy deadly and terrifying, you've got no idea where anything is and what to do, and you're dying constantly. A couple trips later, you're getting your bearings and figuring out how to dodge the traps consistently. A couple trips after that, you're kicking lizardmen into traps and laughing your head off as you breeze through the level

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Palleon posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but can someone confirm that once I've unlocked the Chaos shortcut into Lost Izalith, that it will remain open for the current any any subsequent playthroughs even if I leave the covenant?

Current playthrough yes, definitely. Subsequent playthroughs, don't think so.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vargs posted:

It opened for me in NG+ and NG++, even though I left the covenant and never gave them any more humanity. Even From knew that lost izalith is a pile of poo poo that should just be skipped.

Oh thank god, sometimes I love being wrong

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rikimaru posted:

How the hell do you get out of blight town? I'm at the bottom bonfire near all that loving poison water and a huge water wheel thing. I went down and beat some huge fire spider bitch, and I can go further that way to get murdered by a larger fire bastard. But gently caress all that I just want to see day light again!

Fastest way's to climb up the waterwheel, go around on a series of platforms, and come out through the Valley of the Drakes and New Londo Ruins. Careful on the waterwheel, it's stupid easy to fall to your death climbing off

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RE: Lautrec/Gold-Armor Dude You also only get his armor if you kill him in Anor Londo, but that set blows and is pretty much not worth it for non-completionists

e: for clarity

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a foolish pianist posted:

The helmet is awesome looking, and it's cool to wear it with Ornstein's armor.

I mean, yeah, it looks good, but so do a bunch of other actual functional armor sets. Hell, you can get the black iron set right before you get Lautrec's and it owns both statistically and visually

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You're comparing two sets from completely different categories. Black Iron set is a heavy set and weighs I believe like 10 pounds more total.

Within it's class embraced set is really good, giving 47 poise and having balanced resistance statistics

OK, the reason I didn't like it is because I felt like medium-weight armor as a class is kind of crap until you get enough endurance to wear a reasonable set and still get the super-roll. Most sets were a little too heavy to get the good dodge roll without slotting Havel's Ring or the RoFaP and they didn't have nearly as much poise as a good set of heavy armor.

Sure, within its class the Embraced set is good but I felt like its class is pretty much inferior to having a good light armor set and a good heavy armor set on-hand.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Well that's the thing isn't it? If you don't have enough stamina to equip heavy sets without wasting a ring slot, but do want more defense and poise than what's provided for you from light sets what sets do you go to? It all depends on your build, and just saying it's straight up trash when you aren't built for or don't need it because you stacked stamina is being disingenuous.

Poise is really important and useful too and the great medium sets provide a good amount of it which helps to make them more viable picks against lights.

Yeah, I guess that's a fair point. I don't know, I just kind of assumed everyone stacked end to the point where heavy armor was totally doable. I mean why the hell wouldn't you, it's so obviously the most generally useful stat in the game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

casual poster posted:

Not sure why everyone isn't wearing the boar helmet, thing looks badass.

It's also got some seriously lovely stats, IIRC, and it's way too heavy. Maybe if you get it in the Parish it's worth it?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gravyflood posted:

So, uh, Rhea's gone and Petrus is all boo-hooing about being left behind. Should I kill him to prevent some future murder or something?

If you don't kill him, he'll kill Rhea after you rescue her. It's also heavily implied that the reason Rhea and company disappear is because he left them to die. He's one of like three actual NPCs all game I don't feel bad at all about killing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Finally beat Sen's motherfucking goddamn Fortress. Never met that rear end in a top hat Sen so I could slam my Zwei +10 on his dome. Now I'm 2 shotting these big knights in Anor Londo and farming easy souls.

Dude, think about how big of a badass Sen is. I mean, his doorbell alone is an entire town

Actually, what's the lore behind Sen's Fortress? Don't remember reading anything about it in-game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The mimic is in Sen's Fortress there because it's hilarious. I without fail will lead everyone I recommend this game to falling for it, and they always end up laughing about it.

The best part is the chewing animation. It's just so happy to be eating you :3:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

they make it a series of smaller levels like Demon's Souls instead of the giant continuous open world that gives me vertigo whenever I think about it.

You crazy, the giant open world is one of the best and coolest changes they made going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. All I want in terms of level design is for any late-game gimmick levels to be a bit better designed than Lost Izalith or to a lesser extent the Tomb.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

No that's what I'm saying, the giant open world is loving awesome and it pleases me. Sometimes I like to just look at its majesty in the map viewer.

Also gonna say something controversial: I don't know if I can justify it but I like Lost Izalith.

Whoops, totally misunderstood you, sorry. Why do you like it, exactly? I mean, I hate it and I'm sure most of the people here do too, just wondering what you like about it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Blighttown 2: twice the length half the frame rate. :getin:

The real Dark Souls starts here

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

World Tendency should be back but easier to finangle instead of just having to throw my sign down and get summoned or tossing myself into a pit a bunch of times

I completely disagree, World Tendency is the number one reason I still haven't beaten Demon's Souls and I've got no desire to see it again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EC posted:

The new director says he wants to make the game more "actiony". :/

Weren't there two Monster Hunter games in his CV? Because if so, that shouldn't be that much of a problem, the Monster Hunter games do action at least as well as Dark Souls. I mean, I'm not sure how FROM and N-B ended up at "this formula works well and was very successful, let's change it completely," but that doesn't necessarily mean what we get is going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think the actual similarities are pretty vague, but the Souls games remind me a lot of the first Devil May Cry game. The others are a lot more over-the-top.

I'm not saying that the Souls games have to be like Devil May Cry specifically, but I would like to see them at least achieve the level of balance you see in character action games like that. That is definitely something the Souls games could take away from those.

Regarding the stuff about Tomohiro Shibuya - there are two Shibuyas. One was involved with Monster Hunter and one is From Software employee who previously worked on mecha games. In other words, the director of Dark Souls 2 has never had anything to do with Monster Hunter.

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm saying. The game's going to end up being different, but we've got no idea yet if the gameplay's going to be good or bad and making that call based on two interviews is a little premature. I don't like a lot of the stuff we've been hearing, but it's still too early for full-on doom and gloom.

Also whoops, sorry, that CV that was posted earlier in the thread threw me. Which set of mecha games has he worked on, do you know? Was it Chromehounds or Armored Core?

e: whoops just looked it up, guess it's Another Century's Episode. Anyone play that? Was it any good?

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2012

• Locked thread