Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Very early in the game, totally noob player, and I'm really not getting how I'm supposed to be playing this. I'm past the prologue area and at the second bonfire in the Undead Burg, up the stairs right after the initial bonfire.

There are bunch of guys raining fire on my head, so I can't ever fight out in the open. I don't have any ranged attacks, so I can't pick them off. Many of the areas have 3-4 guys waiting to attack me, which means I always get hit in the back a couple times as I flail around swinging my sword (I'm the Knight class).

On the rare chance that I make up through the castle a bit, I encounter a polearm/shield guy who totally kicks my rear end. I've read that kicking him is a good strategy, but I'm still pretty inconsistent in even being able to kick when I want to, and when I did manage to kick him he didn't seem to mind it at all.

Should I just grind levels from respawning easy guys around the bonfire? Practice riposting more (which I'm terrible at, not having learned the timing of all the enemy attacks)? Is this actually an area I should be working on making my way through, or is there a better place for me to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Just beat the first boss and almost got bbqed by the dragon. I don't have a ranged weapon yet so I can't cheese my way into a drake sword, though I've heard that there's a merchant around somewhere kind of nearby?

Fought some rats and got poisoned, which as far as I can tell is just guaranteed death at this point. I assume you can get something to cleanse it later on?

I also have this little icon just below my humanity counter, looks like a downward red arrow on top of a white squiggle? What's that? Is it related to the confusing "weapon in jeopardy" I got when I was fighting those rats?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

skywalker6705 posted:

Have you worked your armor stats up? First thing I did when I met the blacksmith was realize he sold low level shards. For something like 8000 you can upgrade a chestpiece to +5. That's easily doable even in the early game. Chest piece, then leggings, gauntlets, helm. Chest piece gets more points per upgrade.
Just got there with the default Knight armor, also just got Havel's ring so I'm sub-50% which is nice. So it's worth spending the shards/souls to upgrade the default armor? I don't want to burn the mats I've got if I'm going to find an upgrade soon.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

This game. This loving game :suicide:

I'm playing a Warrior, still using the starting equipment plus the master key, which I definitely don't regret taking, considering I've already opened a couple of doors hiding loot and tough-rear end enemies in the Undead Burg with it. I've leveled up endurance, strength and dexterity a couple of points each.

But I must be doing something wrong. First off, do I really have to run the entire firebombing skeleton run every time the Taurus Demon crushes me into a pulp, isn't there a bonfire closer to it?

Secondly, I can't seem to score critical hits, is there a trick to it?

Thirdly, those two tough-rear end enemies in the Burg, is it realistic to try and take them on now or are they for later? I'm talking about the knight down the stairs and the dude at the bottom of the tower behind the locked door?
You don't want to deal with either of those guys yet. Crits I think are only from behind, and the targeting is really finicky.

And yeah, you have to do that route every time, but a) it's a good way to grind some souls, about 700 per attempt, and b) it's a good place to practice fighting and single-pulling guys. If you step onto the bridge you can pull one guy individually, then deal with two on the far side, then deal with one or two flame bomb throwers just outside that room. Deal with the three guys upstairs (practice focusing down one guy with a couple other guys also in the fight), deal with the archer in the tower, then practice pulling the spear guy solo. At first it was a huge ordeal to clear through it, but after a while the whole thing was like clockwork.

Once you get a little tougher, the guy at the bottom of the tower drops a ring that really helps with encumbrance as a warrior/knight, so he's worth going back for. Even in full armor a bunch of his attacks are backsteppable. I just made sure I had a full green bar of blocking so I could survive it if he did happen to tag me, and kept poking him in the face (another lesson here -- be patient and don't get greedy!) until he died. But until you do the first real boss, and probably get the drake sword, I'd definitely skip him.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Just beat Capra Demon (though it felt like I was fighting the room more than the boss). Is it worth detouring into Darkroot Gardens? Seems like I should be heading to the Depths now, but I feel like I didn't really explore the Gardens that much.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So I went in and killed the Hydra after 10 minutes of slowly strafing around trying to get into range of the last head (boy that's a dull boss), and then I turned around to head back up the slope to spend my souls and....the slope up to the blacksmith was gone.

Instead, I was in a fully enclosed cave, and I'm still not quite sure what happened. It was like something out of the Twilight Zone. I walked along the edge of it, and could NOT find the shoreline that I walked in on. Instead, I found a ladder up, which let me to rolling fatcats of death.

And then, of course, I died to the invisible underwater cliff (which apparently goes right up to the shore on the right side!) when trying to figure out how the hell I got to the enclosed part of the cave, losing 13k souls in the process. Sigh.

Anyone know what I might have done? Can you go through the waterfall or something? Or did I just get myself REALLY turned around?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Stray Demon seems really inconsistent. Sometimes I'm right on his rear end when he does his sword-plunge AoE and it doesn't hurt me. And sometimes I'm really far away but still directly behind him, and I lose 2/3 of my health and get knocked down.

No idea what the deal is.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So, seems like having some ranged would be good for lightning Smough, so I figured I'd make the Crystal Ring Tron Shield I've heard so much about. Does any +10 shield work for creating it? Or does it have to be a specific kind of shield?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Nothing in the game so far has really made me angry (through getting the Lordvessel), it's all been tough but pretty fair.

And then I got to the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants, which just makes me want to murder someone. Pairs of giant skeletons that a) literally kick my rear end, b) take almost no damage from my +5 lightning spear unlike all the other skeletons in the area, c) you're forced to fight in the dark with sheer cliffs everywhere and d) the closest bonfire is miles away and makes you deal with like 6 of the pinwheel guys.

I've loved almost every bit of the game up to this point, but good lord, this is just awful.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So am I correct in thinking that Ornstein's armor can't be upgraded? I was thinking it'd be a nice bit of mid-weight armor to wear around (tired of getting smacked in Gold-Hemmed), but with no upgrading it seems kind of meh.

Are there better 30-ish weight options out there?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

The Centipede Demon is pissing me off way more than other bosses. I don't know what From's fascination is with making you fight bosses in tiny little spaces with your camera mashed against geometry so you can't see what's going on, but it's Not Fun.

As far as I can tell the right tactic is to stay close and under him, roll between his legs a lot and stab him a couple times. But sometimes he jumps up into the air and blasts me with some sort of fire AoE right where I was, and sometimes he does his stomp thing which wrecks me, and because I can't even see the boss at all, I can't see if he's got any tells that lets me know when to get out.

And then half the time just him moving around knocks me into the lava where I take tons of damage before I can roll out.

O+S was SO much fun. This is just bullshit deaths over and over.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

The worst part is, it's not the Demon, it's the dogs. :v:
The worst worst part is, it's not the Demon or the dogs, it's the room.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So I grabbed the large ember from Demon Ruins, went to the blacksmith in catacombs who seemed very excited when I gave it to him, I upgraded my barbed straight sword to +5 fire...and there isn't an option to modify it to +6 (nothing in the upgrade or modify sections). Did I miss a step somewhere?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Valkrye posted:

Are you sure you got the right ember? There are two fire embers in the demon ruins, the large flame ember that will allow you to go to +10 fire and a chaos flame ember that upgrades fire to chaos.
Goddamn it. Guess I'm going back there.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So if I don't have a good Divine weapon (my divine mace hits skeletons for like 60), is it even worth doing Nito? I'd really rather not go back to the blacksmith and then work all the way back down to Nito again, but I can't kill the skeletons before he shows up, and then like an rear end in a top hat he ends up killing them before I can land the killing blow.

Also, like 3 big skeletons down there too? What the hell is that?

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

So I used the Fire Keeper's Soul that I retrieved from Lautrec to upgrade my flask rather than revive Anastacia -- can I use another soul to bring her back? I'm about to head to New Londo and doing that without being saved at the Firelink bonfire seems like it's going to be really painful.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be such a terrible person.
:( I had no idea I could even revive her -- it's not like you can do that for anyone else that's killed throughout the entire game.

edit: Though, now that I think about it, I can just rest at my +20 Anor Londo bonfire and port to Firelink if I die in New Londo. Being a terrible person is fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

How many levels do most people get in a NG+ playthrough? I finished at SL70 and started up NG+, but through doing Gargoyles I've gotten something like two levels worth of souls. I'd like to start using the bigger weapons (kind of tired of poking with a stick), but I'm like 20 strength away...and it feels like I'm going to be mostly done with NG+ by the time I get there.

Am I better off just playing through it normally again with a new character, if I want to try a somewhat different playstyle?

• Locked thread