Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
You know that NPC that absolves you of your sins and is the only way to make NPCs who are aggressive towards you go back to being passive?

Yeah, I might have accidentally attacked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

Man I can't figure how people accidentally attack folks. After hearing all these horror stories, I basically keep my fingers a mile away from all the shoulder buttons when I go near any NPC.

It's more because he looked way too similar to the two mini-bosses in the church from up above and I had an itchy trigger-finger because, gently caress, I have my souls and you're not getting them, game!

I'm debating whether to start over (for more than just that reason), or to challenge him to fisticuffs on the field of honor.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 10, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

On my new character, and just beat the Carpa Demon (Havel's ring is a beautiful thing). If anyone needs help clearing that area, I have a sign up at the moment and I'm more than willing to help whenever I'm on.

Level 24, by the way.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Right, can I just say: gently caress this game's multiplayer system. Demon's Souls was unwieldy enough, with multiple servers requiring you exit and enter an area over an over again to meet up with someone. But it only took like 30 minutes, tops, to do.

Now it's pretty much impossible. Didn't wind up on the same server? Well, gently caress you! Unless you plan on restarting your console over and over for hours on end hoping you get lucky, it's not going to happen! Oh, by the way, while you were doing that, you got invaded! Hope you brought extra humanity!

Uhg. I love this game, but seriously, when you market a game's multiplayer feature extensively, actually make the goddamn thing work right.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Sumixam posted:

What do i do against capra demon? There isn't enough room to even maneuver or guard yourself.

Try picking up Havel's ring beforehand, along with a good set of armor. As long as you can survive three to four of his attacks, he can be taken out pretty quickly by plunge attacking him over and over from the stairs. You won't even need to summon phantoms to do it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

FisheyStix posted:

I know this is a long shot, but... :ohdear:

Does this actually work?

Apparently, yes. Restarting the game changes the server you're on, but it's entirely random, so be ready to do so a lot.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

GreenMarine posted:

Wow, gwyndolin has some huge tits.

You mean Gwynevere?

Because Gwyndolin is a (really effeminate) guy.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Getting invaded in the forest by a single person not wearing a fog ring is kind of fun and pretty exhilarating. I hit him with a few glancing fireballs, and I was whittling him down with a claymore. Then another person invades. How would that be fun at all? There's no good way to fight against two people at once; one of them will always be at your back.

Except there are various spells to counter that, invaders can't use estus flasks, you can position yourself to prevent backstabs, and certain weapons, like the zweihander, have an arc that hits behind as well as in front of you.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

So if the shield has an attack when equipped to the right arm, does that mean it's theoretically possible to do a run where you dual wield shields?

Not only can you dual wield shields, you can dual wield Havel's shield on NG+.

Max Endurance and Resistance. Equip Havel's Armor, Havel's Ring, Ring of Steel Protection, and two Havel's shields. "gently caress YOU, I'M NOT DYING! EVER!"

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So, I made an alt character to fiddle around with magic. Beat the Hellkite Dragon, got to the soul-farming area of Darkroot Garden, beat the Hydra, and the golden crystal golem.

So now I have a male sorcerer named 'Fabularus' clad in the Antiquated set. Also, the antiquated skirt starts out better than the gold trimmed skirt, and if fully upgraded, is better than Havel's Leggings.

I'm loving this.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

Ok, so I'm still in Undead Burg, just got past the Taurus demon or whatever, got roasted by the dragon death trap, figured out how to get past it, and now have to fight a bunch of hallow soldiers and some charging rino thing. Am I anywhere close to another bonfire?
You're about half-way. Make sure you kick down the ladder back to the fire in the Undead Burgs, and kindle the fire. It'll make your life significantly easier.

Oh, and you're about to face one of the early pain in the rear end enemies (provided you don't have the drake sword, in which they're only slight nuisances).

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

On that note, the whole one shotting the hellkite dragon glitch is incredibly amusing. It just jumps away, then, -poof!-, 10,000 souls.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Snuggly just seems to be a particularly cool crow demon. She's also the best NPC.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

waspinator posted:

Still looking for more armor/sub-weapon suggestions for my belmont run -- i'm mainly using wanderer's armor with throwing knives and firebombs(holy water), and the whip of course!

If you have the notched whip, use it. It'll make your damage slightly less pathetic, because it's both more effective against armored targets and it causes bleed. Not to say you'll be killing anything, but it'll be better than the divine whip.

Maybe go with Homing soulmass/homing crystal soulmass or something for a HYDRO STORM analogue?

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Pyromancy actually is significantly more balanced than, say, elemental weapons. While there's no stat investment for it, you do have to spend almost, if not more than 300,000 souls to get it to maximum effectiveness. On top of that, they also have significantly less range than sorcery spells.

That said, it could still use some adjustments. It's still too easy to run around with a Thor's zweihander in one hand and the gameplay equivalent of the loving sun in the other.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I am confounded as to how anyone kills the dragon from the tower. If the dragon is there and I run up the tower, he just vanishes.

Go back to Firelink and rest at the bonfire, then return. There's a good chance he'll reappear. Worked for me when I first did it.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

oneliquidninja posted:

Argghhh... the best caster gear in the game is so girly.

I went from wearing elite knight's or havel's chest + gold hemmed and looking like an armored up version of death to wearing a fairy crown, a dress w/heels, and havel's chest.

Next caster I make is going to be a girl. My character looks like he belongs in the nut house.

I dunno. There's a certain je ne sais quoi to popping out of a pot in a Victorian dress and setting someone on fire.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

The Gate posted:

So, uh...is there some way to actually make the boss in the Painted World not invisible? Some walkthrough said to hit her with a pyro fireball, but that's not working, and neither is stabbing. I can't beat the boss because I can't see her, can't tell if I'm doing damage, where she is, if it's safe to heal, etc. And naturally I can't leave the area because being forced to play a level is so awesome. I've probably attempted her 20 times now, and died every one. I really don't want to skip her but the other option at this point it to restart after 30+ hours into the game.

Her invisibility drops when she takes enough repeated damage. Her footprints in the snow will give her away until then.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Binge posted:

Ok, I'm confused, I'm trying to make the Greatsword of Astorias, the cursed version. I upgraded a regular Longsword to +10, and the Giant Blacksmith is only giving the option to turn into the regular version. Is the wiki backwards? Should I have upgraded a broken hilt one?

It doesn't actually say (cursed) Greatsword of Astorias. The fact that it only does physical damage is how you know.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Filthy Hans posted:

Not only was Big Hat Logan already dead when I smashed the wall at Sen's, but Quelana of Izalith never showed up in Blighttown. I am feeling seriously screwed here.

Quelena might require upgrading your pyromancy flame to at least +10. The wikis don't really agree with themselves on that, though.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Noxville posted:

I wish the messaging system had just a little flexibility. 80% of the phrases in there are useless and given that everyone who summoned me on the Gaping Dragon today has gone wading in and died like an idiot it would be nice to leave a message saying to keep your distance until he charges.

The only messages you'll ever need are 'Try resignation' and 'Despair'.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Shalinor posted:

Sen's Fortress... IS loving AWESOME! :rock:

However. How the hell were you supposed to legitimately find the bonfire? I wandered around up there with the explodey fire balls for ages, thinking I'd find it, went so far as to fight up to and take out the giant ball throwing dude, came BACK down, got bored, and tried and missed the jump across the broken causeway... and it turns out I was supposed to fall off a blind ledge right there at the beginning to find it. Gee.

So, Forest, now Sen's. Is every bonfire from here out hidden in a way you'll miss without a FAQ, or something?

I'm guessing they did that because both are technically unnecessary. The one in the forest is barely into it and only really helps for farming souls, besides about a minute of walking. The one in Sen's Fortress is the same. Once you unlock the cage lift, all the bonfire there does is save you from having to run through the first four pendulum traps, which are pathetically easy, anyway.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

The cruelest thing in the game is that they made the last part the best titanite grinding area. I am sort torn between just finally beating it or amassing huge piles of titanite chunks.

Also, why haven't found a normal slab in the whole loving game? I have piles of colored slabs but no regular ones. grr.

You get a slab after the Stray Demon fight. Darkwraiths also have an infinitesimally small chance of dropping them.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

ericthebear posted:

Alright time to get grossly incandescent up in here. Summon me for Gaping. I'm the guy in a dress with the lightning spear and pyromancy. Don't laugh this dress owns.

Edit: Also I can backflip!

Edit Edit: okay seriously who black stones their phantoms when the boss has like one hit left.

You don't gain all the souls if you team up with other people on bosses, apparently. You do if you dispel them.

Basically, min-maxers being dicks.

lohli posted:

Tempted to make a monk, running around with a pair of divine ceastus', also what are people's experiences with pvp parrying?

I love cestus', but they're terrible and you will absolutely die horribly in PVP with them.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Kevlar Beard posted:

Ok so I'm gonna make a new character, but I need the ring of favour from lautrec early because I want to use heavier armor on him sooner rather than later. Should I just kill him as soon as I see him in the undead parish or just go ahead and wait it out until I invade him? I don't need his armor set, and I rather like not going through the whole process of reviving anastacia.

Do it. He's pretty tough, but if you have any sort of magic he'll go down with a bit of effort. Alternatively, wait until he's in Firelink and do something silly like plunge attack the gently caress.

swamp waste posted:

The internal mythology of this game seems really well thought out. I feel like a huge dork saying that, like uh Actually, if you took the time to understand the rich mythos of Dark Souls (Dāku Souru) perhaps you would see that but whatever, here are some cool things about it:

There's also how lighting the fire is actually setting humanity back and simply prolonging the inevitable. The 'good' ending basically involves unknowingly loving over humanity and relighting a flame that runs on human souls, and will eventually burn out no matter what you do.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 23, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Does the Channeler in the Depths respawn? Thanks in advance :)

Nope. Kill him once and you never have to worry about him again.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Where does this theory even come from? Nothing I've seen gives me the idea that this is true.

The backstory in Dark Souls has to be sought out and it's a neat way of expanding the world, and it does expand it some, but I wouldn't say it's great. It's good to theorize and come to multiple conclusions but I wouldn't say that's due to some sort of masterstroke on behalf of the developers. I think it's just because they do a poor job with the setting and decided to fill the initial story past the prologue with these sparse, broken details.

From creates these grimdark world but does nothing with them storywise. It's just a means to add poisonous swamps and monsters.

Darkwraith covenant, not to mention the bloody intro, where it specifically says that humans came from the dark.

quote:

The truth I shall share without sentiment
After the advent of fire, the ancient lords found the three souls
but your progenitor found a fourth, unique soul
the Dark Soul
your ancestor claimed the dark soul and waited for fire to subside
and soon, the flames did fade, and only dark remained
thus began the age of men, the Age of Dark
However…
Lord Gwyn trembled at the dark
clinging to his Age of Fire, and in dire fear of humans
and the Dark Lord who would one day be born amongst them
Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature
by sacrificing himself to link the fire, and commanding his children to shepard the humans
Gwynn has blurred your past, to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord
I am the primordial serpent
I seek to right the wrongs of the past to discover our true lord
but the other serpent, Frampt, lost his sense, and befriended Lord Gwyn.
Undead warrior, we stand at the crossroad
Only I know the truth about your fate
you must destroy the fading Lord Gwyn, who has coddled fire and resisted nature
and become the forth lord, so that you may usher in the Age of Dark

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 23, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I think the Gravelord guy died or something, because it said the disaster was over. How exactly do those things work?
The player sets down a sign which summons black phantoms in three players' worlds wherever it was placed. If any of the three find it, they can use the sign to invade whoever placed the sign and, if successful, all three players have the sign removed from their world.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Surely there aren't any covenant restrictions against attacking people who you NEED to attack to complete the game.

Gravelord Nito.

Hope nobody wants to stay in that covenant for long!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

waspinator posted:

Will possibly finish my street fighter run tomorrow, looking for more ideas for gimmick runs.

I'm thinking a Ricard run, but after that my ideas are dry. (Done regular runs, castlevania run, and now finishing my street fighter as said before) gimme some ideas!

Meatslab run. Havel's Armor, Ring of Steel Protection, and two Havel's Shields.

Edit: Or a pacifist run. Don't kill anything that isn't required to be killed. This includes bosses like the Taurus Demon, who can be made to commit suicide.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 25, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Colon Parenthesis posted:

because it doesn't work.

Since I'm planning on joining the covenant for the miracles, what exactly doesn't work about it? I'm guessing the matchmaking is wonky as gently caress?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Right, so, I was thinking the Greatsword of Artorias would be fantastic when scaling gets fixed.

It's actually fantastic now. 700 damage with the two handed strong attack, and said attack can pass through walls.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Just beat the Four Kings. I don't quite get what's so horrible about New Londo Ruins. It's actually probably my favorite area in the game.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

ericthebear posted:

You wear high heels in the Antiquated Dress. o.O

Immense foot pain is well worth the unstoppable power of fabulous.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Penny_Dreadful posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on loving around with new players in a funny way?

Chameleon. It's the best loving spell in the game. My first invasion, I ran past someone as a pot and they somehow DIDN'T NOTICE. For extra fun: cast Hide Self/put on a ring of fog, hit them with Acid Surge until their equipment breaks, then run off somewhere relatively hidden and cast chameleon.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 28, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't used that spell, how do you decide what to turn into?

It changes you into an object found in the environment you're in. For example, in Darkroot Forest, you become a shrub, while in Anor Londo you become a statue.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

You don't want to be done with New Londo. It's pretty much the best designed area, in terms of both aesthetics and not being cheap as gently caress, that you're going to find. And after that, you get to do Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith, which make Anor Londo and Blight Town look like happy funtime jollycoaster rides!

On that note, I think I'm going to wait until the patch to beat the game. Being able to actually invade people and co-op bosses in between doing Lost Izalith and Tomb of the Giants is the only way I'm going to be able to put up with that poo poo.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 28, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Daeren posted:

I think you're confusing New Londo and Anor Londo there.

Actually, it seems the person I was responding to was, and I just missed that. :v:

But seriously. After New Londo Ruins, the game just kind of feels like it takes a massive dive down in enjoyability and a massive spike up in cheap, frustrating bollocks.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I would say that the Four Kings was probably the worst boss fight I've done so far in the game.

I found them ridiculously easy, though I did take the cheap as gently caress method of using the Crystal Ring Shield with a +3 Lightning Zwiehander and Iron Skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

That's what I did, except +4. That's what made it such an awful boss fight.

I think Pinwheel deserves the honor of the 'most pathetically easy boss in Dark Souls'.

How to kill Pinwheel:
*Have an attention span of more than half a second.
*Hit the real Pinwheel twice. Not even with the crystal ring shield. Just anything.
*Win.

• Locked thread