Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Merauder posted:

Saw a new summon sign thing I hadn't come across yet, for a Dragon something-or-other. Didn't know it was a PvP invader :v: Managed to take him down pretty quickly though. He had a big rear end tower shield and heavy armor, trying to poke at my with a halberd of some sorts, meanwhile I had my Black Knight Shield +3, Gravelord Sword +5, and silly amalgamation of Gold-hemmed, Dark Iron, Havel, etc. armor. First ran in with Combustion (seriously love that spell) which shook him up a bit and made him get a bit more offensive, to which I easily sidestepped and then hacked away at him. :black101: Free 12k souls + Dragon Scale, yes please!

I assume this was something Covenant related?

A covenant you can get at Ash Lake, from one of the last true dragons, if you kill the Hydra there for him (a legit Hydra, not one created by Seathe, IIRC). You rank up by trading in Dragon Scales, and it transforms your PC into a dragonblooded thing. You get a breath attack instead of wearing a helm. Looks pretty cool.

Four Kings strategy: gently caress mobility. Put on your highest poise armor, put on a poise-boosting ring and the phys def ring if you have them, don't equip a shield, two hand your strongest weapon (they are weak to lightning and magic/enchantment types!), and crawl up their asses. If you're standing practically inside them, their attacks can only clip you, and high poise will prevent you from flinching as you attack or drink potions. If you have lots of humanity and have the Rite, I advise you to stoke up the Firelink Shrine with 2 more humanities so you get extra Estus flasks for this fight. Wail on the guy two handed and run to the next. Following this method, I never had more than 2 guys on me, and only took me a few times (originally Pyro, built towards sorcery, with only 10 dex/12 str, +4 lightning spear) to beat these guys. I used Havel's Armor. Some say the Iron Flesh pyromancy works very well here, but I couldn't cast it with Havel gear on.

A question re: Solaire. Has anyone saved him? Sorry if someone already covered it in the topic; I haven't read all the way through. I'm hanging out in front of the Demon Ruins Firesage boss with a summon sign ready to provide assistance. DTS?! Oh wait... And SL 50. PSN DomoZerg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ASL NIGGA posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, but in the painted world what is the giant sleeping thing behind the undead dragon that I cannot wake up with an attack

It's a bug. Jump attack it--it's the drat dragon's corpse. It'll stand up. It's kinda freaky! As far as I know, there's nothing behind the dragon to acquire, and a hell of a jump that I'm not sure is possible to manage.

Duke's Archives Humanity farming. Reach Duke's Archives, get captured, go down, defeat Picasas (octo-snakes). They have a high rate of drop, which is boosted by 1. wearing the golden covetous serpent ring and 2. using the humanity items to boost your drop rate (use 30 humanity items, as you recover them is fine; item recovery rate doesn't increase beyond 410). If the alarm is off, the octo-snakes just hang out in front of the cell where Big Hat is imprisoned, so you can easily ranged them with sorcery, pyro, crossbow, or bow. You also pick up 2 nice miracles from two tougher Picasas here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

What the gently caress is the guy throwing exploding poo poo in Sen's? It stunlocked me until I died. I don't want to run through that shithole of traps again right now.

Bomb-throwing giant. On one of the platforms there are usually a bunch of red messages around a portion where the very low barrier has been broken. Drop off that to land at a bonfire. From there, it's very simple to get back to the top. If you have the flame stoneplate ring, use it and a fire shield, and stay away from the dark scorched parts of the platforms to avoid maximum damage. He's an rear end but he's easy to kill once you make it up to him, and he doesn't respawn. There are a few mini-boss type guys in this area so take care.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Boosh! posted:

Killed S&O with help but took down Ornstein first and I got Smough's soul. Am I boned out of the dragonslayer spear? :(

I'm pretty sure that is the case, at least on this playthrough. You can't get his armor if you kill him first either, IIRC. (It becomes available at a merchant--I'm thinking the weird guy who camps out in the depths awhile, then shows up under the aqueduct at Firelink.)

Just helped someone defeat Firesage. Feels good!

I especially like that helping someone defeat a boss sends me back to where i left off with full health and all spells charged back to max.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

oneliquidninja posted:

Upgraded a Great Scythe to +5 Divine. Thing seems pretty nice so far. The R2 is a wide swing that hits in a 270 degree arch, is quick, excellent range, and I can get three of those swings in with my meager 15 endurance.

The R1 attack is an overhead attack that looks like it'll work good in hallways, also pretty fast with average stamina cost for a weapon of its reach, but I think it might have a safe spot if things are standing to close to me.

About to pick up the improved Sword Dance miracle. I farmed 10 eyes of death so I'd have a few left over to play around with. Managed to earn about 100k souls in the time it took me to farm them with 340 item find (probably 5k souls or so per run). Maybe an hour and a half or so. (Pretty rare drop, I'd go two or three runs without seeing one drop but get a double drop a couple of times too).

Where are you farming eyes of death? I'm thinking about that covenant for my next playthrough. (Chaos currently.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

RentCavalier posted:

So, wait, is it possible to have her speak? Is that what I have to offer humanity for?

Humanity helps you rank up your covenant with her. You get Chaos Fireball for free; the next pyromancy you get at rank 2, for a total of 40 humanities (10 for rank 1, 30 for rank 2). Any more than that seems to get you nothing.

To speak with her, however, you need the Old Witch's Ring. You can still join the covenant and rank it without that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

E1M1 posted:

Ugh, drat it. Does anyone know what needs to happen for her to appear then?

I didn't see her before I fought Quelaag. After, she didn't appear for me, either. I started out as Pyro class. I upgraded my hand to 10, and at last she appeared. (Wasn't in Chaos covenant yet either.) Seems like she has multiple triggers. Some folks have gotten her to appear after joining Chaos, sounds like.

Good luck.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

CaptainStag posted:

This is the same complaint I had a few pages ago. Once you attempt to use an orb it's gone whether the connection is successful or not, which is straight up bullshit for a limited use item that costs a fair bit. I understand why they didn't want to make invading too convenient but with the way it is now it's a complete guessing game for the players whether they'll be wasting stones or not. I can imagine it will only get worse if the player base gets smaller down the line. And yeah, there's the covenant that lets you invade on a regular basis but that doesn't really address the issue above.

Other than hoping you're matching the typical soul level for that area and playing during busier times, I don't think there's anything else you can do.

Certain covenants will give you items that make it easier to invade. Forest Hunter will allow you to be summoned to invade a live player in the forest anywhere, hollow or not, as long as you wear the ring. Similar for Darkmoon, which also gives you a blue orb so you can select sinners to slay. Gravelord, Darkwraith, Dragon are invasion/challenge covenants AFAIK.

Sinning (break a covenant, successfully invade and slay another player, attack an NPC) will up your odds of being invaded by certain covenants. Belonging to some covenants may or may not reduce your odds of being invaded like that.

I've only been invaded a couple of times by non-NPCs, probably because I'm not at the SL 70 sweet spot for PVP.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Info Dump on Sin:

Gaining Sin

+ Attack an NPC.
+ Break a Covenant.
- Attack Covenant giver, attack Covenant ally NPCs, quit Covenant invasion without slaying/being slain, join another Covenant (there is a caveat).
+ Ditch an ally you've been summoned by (use Separation Crystal). - I haven't confirmed this.
+ Invade AND kill another player (not as part of Darkmoon, and perhaps not as part of Forest Hunter; per Filthy Monkey, not as part of Darkwraith).
+ Be indicted by a player for invading and killing them.

Avoid Sin

+ Oswald of Carim in the Gargoyle Tower after ringing the bell will allow you to quit a covenant WITHOUT gaining sin.

Absolution

+ Oswald will absolve you of sin for 2,000 souls X your SL. (This formula seems to change eventually... After either a NG+ or a few hundred SL. I haven't confirmed this.)
+ Be slain by a Darkmoon invader (reduces sin by 1 each time!).
+ Per Filthy Monkey, indictment sin seems to only be absolved by being slain by a Darkmoon invader slaying you.

I think that's it.

EDIT: one more detail
EDIT 2: more deets

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 16, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
To de-aggro an NPC, go see Oswald (location in my previous post) and pay for your indulgence. As long as you don't KILL the NPC, you should be golden.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Defeating Ceaseless Discharge isn't too hard even if you can't get the instant death glitch to work. EpicNameBro put up a video showing the gimmick method of killing him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JP3-1siME

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Filthy Monkey posted:

That isn't all accurate. I don't appear to get sin from invading as a Darkwraith, but I do if the person indites me. The two sin I have came from the inditments. Oswald won't absolve them either, so I am curious if inditements can only be counteracted by a darkmoon invasion.

Ah, so you haven't gotten sin by Darkwraith invasions. I'll add that, and your note about the indictment sin.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

oneliquidninja posted:

Has anyone had much luck with PvP as a Blade of the Darkmoon? Eventually I'm just going to go Wraith but Gravelord certainly isn't cutting it.

I was summoned to invade several times while I was in the Duke's Archives. I eventually had to de-equip the ring because it kept interrupting tense fights. You may need to quit the game and reinitialize to swap lobbies, or use the white summon sign trick to cycle through until you enter a more active lobby.

(I hate these lobbies.)

I've been invaded a couple times as well.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Quoting myself since it seems to have gotten lost in the discussion:

The only way out of the depths that I know of is to go back the way you came in. If you took the shortcut behind the butcher's table, then you have to go through a bit of sewers ickyness. This is assuming that you rested at a bonfire in the depths and can't use Homeward, a bone, or your curse mark to return to a non-depths bonfire.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This isn't true - if you break covenant by joining another, you get no sin at all. You only gain sin for breaking a covenant if you broke the covenants laws.

I'm pretty sure this is actually correct, since I was attacked by a darkmoon blade after doing this. It may vary by covenants, but I have nothing to back that up. Though this isn't an unimpeachable source, the wikispaces also notes that leaving a covenant by joining another covenant also counts as betrayal.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Why do Jagged Ghost Blades take twinkling titanite to enhance? They aren't unique weapons at all. It's disappointing, because their RB+forward, instead of a kick, is a slash and a backflip.

edit: Oh man, using it in my offhand and doing a parry looks beyond awesome.

I think it's because they are technically unique (only one type of mob drops them, rare drop; I've gotten 3 my entire run so far) and they can't be upgraded elementally (AFAIK). Same for snake-man greatswords, I bleeve.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

"Dark" Anor Londo is wonderfully creepy.

How'd you get that to happen?

Can you tell I'm just killing time between summons :allears:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

If you're hollow and have no humanity you get cursed in under four seconds.

I went through there hollow and inhuman and didn't get cursed. The only time I've been cursed is that goddamn Seath gimmick when you first encounter him. You don't even have to go through the frog area to meet Gaping Dragon and destroy that "I've got mommy issues" beast.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mikeraskol posted:

You'll be fine. If you're killing Ornstein first, use his speed to separate him away from Smough and to do damage to him. If you are killing Smough first use his big rear end body to keep Ornstein at bay. The most important thing is to be patient.

Also, if you human up, you can summon Solaire to take a lot of the heat for you while you wail on your target of choice. Solaire's sign is on the landing right before that armored archer.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Sheep-Goats is awesome. :worship:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kild posted:

They didn't heal in my fight.

I'll add that Smough definitely refilled after I killed Ornstein in my fight.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why does the ruins now have NO sign of life in it? No messages, no ghosts, and of course no summon signs. I spent a hard-won humanity in order to ask for help, but there's not a single goddamn person here!!

I even restarted the game a few times as someone suggested, the result is always the same.

Which ruins? Londo or Demon?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sarcophallus posted:

It's the worst. :(

I just did this on my second character.

There's a rumor that you can spare him and get the Moonlight sword if you're in the Forest Hunter covenant. I didn't spare Sif, there wasn't a way for me to try to attack the sword. I read that you attack his sword to do it (obviously once he's limping for your best shot) and that doing so breaks your deal with the cov.

If it's true, I don't know.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Sheep-Goats, Darkmoon covenant comes from Gwyndolin rather than Gwyn.

So far I'm really liking this guide!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
gently caress Demon Firesage. I can do majority damage on him when I'm summoned, but when I solo, he barbecues me. I can't get behind him and hugging his belly only gets me fireballed.

gently caress that guy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
e:f,b

Samurai Sanders posted:

What level ARE people attempting the four kings anyway? I put on a few more levels and now I am at 53, that seems more or less right to me but still it's pretty barren.

Don't take it as a haw haw I rock, but I killed it at ~40 with a sorcerer. I packed on Havel's Armor, poise ring, two handed a lightning spear, and beat them up like they owed me money. As long as you get practically inside them, their sword strikes will usually only barely clip you. Get around 15 estus flasks or more, get that poise up, and you can mow through these guys after a couple tries. Heal whenever you get to 50% health. These dudes are kind of the "equalizer" boss to show that SL doesn't mean everything, is my interpretation. Most of the time you'll get lucky and they won't use their magic AoE.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 16, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Good to know.

I got summoned for Qualaag. I lead the way, and we make it there fine and get rid of our poison. He then attacks the prone enemies, turns his back, and gets killed by maggots.

Isn't being summoned magical? :allears:

I got summoned by a dude all gussied up in nice armor, sweet weapon... We were in the Tomb of the Giants. I'm wearing light armor, have a catalyst out... He keeps trying to make me go first into the skeleton pits.

Really dude? Really?

I recommended he not do that (after he died... running away and fell off a cliff) and he replied "lol sry it's dark i was scared." I guess I have to give him credit for honesty...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Poison Mist (that I have yet to determine if it's good)

Seems like Poison Mist is best for PvP, specifically when you can lay a trap (someone put down a challenge sign, for example). Its short range and slow casting time have made it kinda useless for anything else (at least to me); I wasn't able to cause any apparent poison status/damage with it. It may be better with the dragon ring that causes sorceries to linger, but since it says "sorceries," the effect may not apply. I haven't tested it. Toxic Mist may be better for you (join Chaos, get infected, buy it for 25k off Eiyingi).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
After getting Firesage down to 1/4 HP and getting killed :bang:, I'm back to skulking around waiting to be summoned. Hopefully when I revive this time, I'll actually be able to find some summon signs. Originally I had thought there were some NPC summon signs in the area, but I didn't find any.

I need a :buddy:

e:

^^^ if your host dies to Quelaag, there's a big chance your host is a total idiot. She's a pushover and I felt bad about stabbing her to death.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
^^^ e: I won't lie, Catacombs are a really visually interesting zone. Tomb of Giants sucks :dong:

Adrian Owlsley posted:

It's pretty useful for taking out very large enemies risk-free, especially ones that you would otherwise have to fight in pairs. It's really situational obviously.

I think my lightning spear has made me pretty arrogant in regards to large numbers of mooks. I hadn't really considered the utility there. I wonder if it works against those skeleton babies before Nito.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Any advice on Firesage? This guy is driving me batshit. I'm a sorcerer, SL 50, geaar is Beatrice's Catalyst, Lightning Spear +5, Crest Shield (for the magic reduction), Magic Stoneplate Ring, Dark Wood Grain Ring, Gold Hemmed gear, 15 Estus flasks, got all non-covenant sorceries (I have no idea if any covenants give out sorceries, just sayin').

Vit 17, End 20, Str/Dex/Res 12, Int 36, and I don't use miracles. Currently Hollow.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Finally beat Firesage. :wtc: Did it using 4 soul spears and a few castings of Homing Crystal Soulmass. I feel dirty. (But also vindicated.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
solaire line: Has anyone saved him? Do I need to defeat the Centipede first?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

Can't remember who said this, but:
Solaire basically hollows at this point unless you have a guide.

In order to keep Solaire alive and reach his next encounter near the Chaos covenant bonfire, you need to NOT traverse into Lost Izalith. You instead take the shortcut from Demon Ruins, and kill all nine of the huge slugs that do little more than block the path.

Only once all nine of them are killed should you cross into Lost Izalith. If you leave one alive, or skip this shortcut altogether, Solaire is killed by them and shows up as a phantom prior to the door to Bed of Chaos boss fight.

If you kill all nine slugs, you can meet with him one more time near Chaos covenant bonfire, and talking to him will unlock his summon sign for the final boss.
[/quote]

I can only find 8... Q_Q

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Izalith, Siegmeier

I fell for that trap and through the floor, which is fine: it let me complete the Siegmeier quest flag to get him to pop at Ash Lake. How the hell do I get out of this pit now? (Got the red slab; killed all the tentacle rape monsters; went up the stairs that lead back to where Siegmeier was previously.)

nvm, found the path.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

That's unfortunate; I'm not sure what to tell you. I just saved that quote for future reference, but neglected to find who said it, so I can't direct you for someone to ask. Actually...I knew having search would come in handy. enojy said it; you could try pm'ing them for help.

I like it when I get summoned and we fail for whatever reason and then I get summoned again and we win. It's so satisfying! Twice so far today.

I actually managed to kill all 9 the first time, but then I died, and the second time there were only 8. :smith: I haven't seen the result. Now I'm just plugging away at that horrible chaos bed

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sacrificial Toast posted:

The 9th one is the one that drops the Sunlight Maggot hat and never respawns. You're fine.

Thanks, man! I was pretty freaked out because that guy is my bro.

Goons are the best. The official forums are 3/ths shitposts whenever someone asks for advice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Spike McMayhem posted:

So how does the fatty onion looking knight's story play out? I'm kind of getting attached to his laidback derpery and want him to be okay :unsmith:

Spoilery! Siegmeier of Catarina:

1. You first meet him outside of Sen's Fortress. Talk to him until he wakes up.

2. Open Sen's Fortress. Fiddle with the Indiana Jones trap. You have a chance of seeing our bro on a ledge somewhere in the fort, but this is an optional flag.

3. You will find him in a room in Anor Londo. Talk to him, then slay the Knights.

4. He will appear at Firelink. Say Yes when he asks if you rang both bells.

5. When you return to Firelink next, he will be gone. Find him in Blighttown, opposite the last bonfire. Give him 3 purple moss clumps!

6. You can find his daughter, Sieglinde, in the Duke's Archives just before the Crystal Caves. Defeat all the Crystal Golems. She inhabits a golden one. Beat its rear end, but don't hit her when she appears. Say Yes when she asks if you've seen daddy.

7. At Firelink, say Yes to Sieglinde when she asks if you've seen Daddy... She'll be gone next time you come here.

8. This part is hairy and I haven't performed all 3 possibilities. In Lost Izalith, there is a trap where you fall through the floor before meeting Bed of Chaos.

A. You can kill Siegmeier here and claim his ring.
B. You can kill all the octomaw enemies and he will say he is weak and give you his ring.
C. You can kill all but one octomaw enemy in the pit, weaken it, speak with him 3 times, jump down, he should jump down, finish off the last octomaw with his help. He will nap.
C 1. If he is less than 50% health, he may give you the ring.
C 2. If he is at greater than 50% health, he will nap (I know, right?). (This is the one I did.)

9. If he survives step 8, go to Ash Lake. (Haven't gotten this far.)

Hope that helps.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Shlapintogan posted:

If you rescued Sieglinde at the Duke's Archives (She's the golden crystal golem), and Siegmeier drops below 50% health at Lost Izalith, he'll rest. Once you get back to Firelink and tell Sieglinde you've seen Siegmeier, she'll move to Ash Lake. If he dropped down below 50% and rested, he dies, and you get to see Sieglinde crying over his death. :(

poo poo dude I hope he wasn't too wounded. He seems to nap no matter what. :smith:

Another question: Having trouble with Bed of Chaos. How do I get the second sphere? I destroyed the one on the left, now I'm having tons of trouble getting to the 2nd: I went on the wrong side of the roots once, couldn't make it in; other side, I keep getting hit by his root-hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, dammit, I muscled through the second sphere somehow, but now the ground has fallen out from in front of the guy and I don't know how to proceed into the gap under his stupid head. Am I supposed to launch myself onto that small root path under the gap?

• Locked thread