Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Amdis posted:

I'm going to be making a new guy today, probably a pyro or sorcerer because I haven't tried magic much. Is combustion the strongest pyromancy out of the basic three(combustion, fireball and orb)?

I made a new character too just a few days ago as a pyro because I wanted a low level character to group with my friend. I've beaten all the way up to the Duke Archives at about level 15, had to stay that low cause my friend usually is getting too hilariously frustrated at the game, and so far I've found combustion to be incredibly useful. It replaces a medium speed melee attack in terms of it's speed, so you often either block/dodge then strike and one shot most regular enemies. You eventually can get a better version of the spell that murders most bosses.

Question though, pre-taining to grouping with my buddy, does anyone know the level gap for co oping for sure? I've heard -+10 levels, -+10%, and both. Had the hardest time grouping with my friend last night, kept placing my sign down over and over in hopes the sign would show up in his server but no dice. I placed it down just under the bridge in Undead Burg where the dragon toasts those zombies.

Also, I'm guessing this has been debunked at some point on the forums but I just wanted to be sure. That whole furtive pygmy covenant by talking to Priscella with the pendant and tons of humanity is just a fake rumor right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Barudak posted:

The guide makes no mention of it and no achievement/trophy is connected to it if it exists. Additionally, the furtive pygmy is expounded on by Darkstalker Kaathe so its not as if their is no covenant already associated with them.

Well I had heard that you were the pygmy and talking to Priscilla with the pendant causes her to help you reclaim your memories or some such, leading to you gathering allies and making your own covenant. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's a fake rumor, but the idea of the pendant actually having some cool secret story use was very cool to me.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The scaling vs. elemental weapon thing is seriously going to change, maybe even be turned upside down, in just a few days.

It won't affect anything in the early game though I bet, so no reason to hold off on playing entirely I think. I mean, unless you are planning to play for twelve hours a day.

That's awesome to hear, I was planning on going full mage knight with an enchanted claymore, fully pyromancy, and tons of spells. Also the lack of good scaling is what made me realize I made my first character horribly wrong by screwing around for the first 50 levels then wasting 20 more to use the holy greatsword of artorias. Such a cool looking weapon with interesting scaling, too bad it's useless as is...

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

nauggins posted:

Was fighting the mimic in Sen's Fortress. It was almost dead, and I rolled to the other side of the room to dodge....and it fell down the elevator shaft. Quit the game, loaded my save, nothing. Went down to the bottom, nothing.

M..my lightning spear :negative:

What level are you at? I could give you the one I have on on my old main if you're around lvl 76.

Also that mimic absolutely horrified me, since I really didn't know they were in the game and had not been testing boxes until then. My heart stopped as the giant tongue and teeth showed up and gobbled me alive. Then I go back in horrified rage and try to get my vengeance, only to get eaten while trying to block his grapple move. I hated mimics so much until I made my second char as a pyro and now proceed to great combust their faces off in 2.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I knew they were in the game by accidentally spoiling myself in this thread, but I didn't know where they WERE, so it still came as a surprise to me. Now I whack every treasure chest in the game. Even the ones in the beginning when I start a new character. Because you NEVER KNOW. :tinfoil:

Same here, I pretty much smack boxes that I KNOW don't have them. I only screwed up once and got cocky and got eaten alive in the Duke Archives.

Elysiume posted:

Do I get the armor of the one I kill first in O&S? I don't really want Smough's, because it's just too ugly for me to handle. Plus, killing fasty-dashy apparently makes the fight easier.

You get the soul of the second one you kill, and can only buy the same's armor later from Domnhall when he's near firelink.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

nauggins posted:

I'm at 44 :sigh: Thanks for the offer though.

It scared me too! I got eaten super hard the first time, so I got my zweihander to +5 and I came back to beast mode his !@#$%^&*. It DID get beasted, but it also got the last laugh :argh:

Dang, also could have given it to you from my new main actually, but she's lvl 18 at the moment. Can always try and make your own lightning weapon, you get the ability too in Anor Londo. I made a lightning washing pole on my old main and the thing was pretty nasty, though I hear lightning Zweihanders are the current hardest hitting weapon in the game. I'd use one but I tend to go in light armor for looks and the lack of poise makes using heavy weapons suicide.

Edit: ^I've found parrying to be incredibly useful on certain enemies that have good tracking and are a little bit more time consuming to backstab like the silver knights in Anor Londo. I actually have it down so well I can parry most of them on first strike and used that as a soul farming area until I got the seal of artorias.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

So the armor of the second one I kill? Thanks. Now I just need to find someone to hold my hand. :sigh:

What level are you? I'd be glad to join up with you if you need it, I always hate how hard it is for me to find help so I've been helping people as much as I can now before bosses.

@The.GreyWolf: I felt real bad about killing him too. He's a pretty awesome looking boss, and something about that fight felt noble. Except I died a bunch of times before figuring to use a heavy shield with high stability and be able to block all his attacks.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Penny_Dreadful posted:

The final zone is basically empty, the boss is some dumb carbon copy of Old King Allant from Demons Souls, and endings are just haha im kidding there isn't any. Could they really not come up with something better then this? What a disappointment considering the effort it takes to get there.

Well as the spirit of the game is old school, isn't that how old school games typically ended? "You win! Play again please!" This game even has a NG+ to help with that. And as empty as the final zone was, it was strangely beautiful and well designed like every other environment I've seen in this game. It's also a great titanite colored chunk hunting spot.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

45. I feel like I should be higher.

My white summon died before the boss, and all I have is Solaire. I can't even save and quit. Every other summon is failing.

edit: Oh, I'll just see if I can go kill Lautrec.

The one thing I hate about going human and looking for people to summon is that I get invaded, and I royally suck at pvp. I get okay weapons, but I usually get rolled over unless I get lucky. I've only been able to do okay on my pyromancer because of how much ridiculous damage you can do as one.

Edit cause I forgot to say: I'm also a bit off level to join you (18 or 75), but 45 actually seems like an alright level to be at Anor Londo. If you can't get anyone to help you, try learning their moves and running them into the pillars. Took me a few tries on my pyro but eventually you learn which moves you can side step or roll back from, and to sort of keep an eye on Ornstein even if he's to your side.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Merauder posted:

Wait, why? What does this do? I have a hunch its something to do with why my dude at Firelink has been MIA for a while now...?

If you have the quelanna ascended pyro flame and tell him about it he, he goes to search for her but ends up hollowed in blighttown. I feel bad kind of too, since he was a nice guy, but the dude was a jerk who TOTALLY overreacted when I hit him trying to break him out of his stupid barrel on my first run. Guy was a baby. Does anyone know if he drops anything good?

Edit: Yeah I'm a numbnuts and forgot if he did.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

I have some bad news for you. :(

Is Lautrec (and his goons, I guess) weak to any element? Also, can I pull his cohorts or is this a 3v1?

It's unfortunately 3v1. I had a lot of trouble with the fight on my old character, so on this one I just kept Lautrec in his cage without even going his way. Lo and behold the jerk somehow shows up at firelink, and then I try to burn his face off but instead forget that his cheap weapon ignores shields and got murdered. Fought him again and he rolled off a cliff...but anyway.

You can try running and gunning if you have any ranged or magic, but really he's not specifically weak to much according to the guide. In fact, he has strong resist against status effects too. I just kept hitting him as he rolled toward me and then backed off, rinse and repeat until he died. Have to watch his caster buddy though, who has a so and so chance to drop a catalyst as well.

Edited so it's not a giant chunk of text.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Whaat? I don't get to kill the other fuckers if I kill him first? A +15 Great Chaos Fireball and a jump attack and he was slain! I'd decided to go hard because I can't block.

How much does Ring of Favor and Protection boost my load cap by? I want to wear it, but I don't want to find out it's not enough and break the !@#$%^&* thing.

If you move your stats around on the screen you can see by how much it affects your equip weight, this is true of just about any equipment change. The only time you can't double check something's effect on your total stats is when you're upgrading something.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

ConfusedUs posted:

Hillarious pvp shenanigans.

Haha, wow. Now I think I'm going to get that spell to completely screw with anyone who tries to invade me. I saw it's effects but thought nothing of it at the time, didn't realize it's a great way to troll invaders. I also too hate that fog ring, since I rely on targeting a lot and don't understand how people say they don't in pvp. But then again that's probably why I suck at pvp.

Who Dat posted:

I've discovered so far that doing the game SL1 just requires a lot more patience and pacing. I've upgraded my weapon (battle axe) and shield to +5, most of my armor to +2, and I've just defeated the Capra Shitdemon (previously Havel, Taurus, and Bell Gargoyles). I can't wait to get some even lighter armor and a lighter sword and the bloodshield so I can drop Havel's ring and use something more beneficial. Seems so far off at this point, but the ultimate goal of being a level 1 grief machine is one step closer to completion. :hawaaaafap:

Next up, Depths and Blighttown. :negative:

If you want some great advice on how to be an evil SL1 griefing machine, use pyromancy. It requires no stats for it's maximum damage, only takes you upgrading the pyromancy flame and acquiring the spells themselves. The extra attunement slots would have helped if you could level, but you can just use rings to get a little more.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Bleah, moronic double post when I should have just answered in the other one. Please delete this.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Who Dat posted:

Yeah, I'm going to be upgrading as soon as I can. I have to wait until I find the Pyromancy guy in the Depths first though, right?

Yeah, just be absolutely careful when trying to break him out. I made the mistake of swinging a giant claymore at him on my first run. He'll be able to upgrade your flame all the way up to +15, and Quelanna in blightown will ascend your flame and get it to +5 . Then you'll be doing like 400 damage with regular combustions.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

Do you have some sort of censor? Why did " !@#$%^&*" turn into "!@#$%^&*"? And I was mostly asking because I don't want to equip it, find out it isn't giving enough load, and be stuck with it until I raise my endurance more and can take of Havel's.

Anastacia is...really depressing. I wish there was so much backstory in this game. Why did Smough and Ornstein attack me? Why is Anor Londo abandoned? Where did these snakemen come from?

I...don't know if I have a censor, I guess I do somehow? I've had this problem since I've joined SA but didn't see any option for it in my control panel. Who's Anastacia also? I don't remember her. And as for why Anor Londo is as it is, I believe that's because Gwyn left it with his knights to go link the fire and cast out the darkness, this is implied through subtle story hints and also in description of the black and silver knight items. The silver knights were left behind to protect Gwynevere, who is apparently an illusion, and the black knights were those who followed Gwyn and went mad after being burned by dragon flames.

Edit:

qbert posted:

I read it somewhere in the game, but I think O&S were the king's former knights, but basically got kicked out because Smough enjoyed executing people too much and I forgot what Ornstein's reason was. So they got regulated to protecting the princess.

Whenever I would consider people for protecting daughters and sons I would look to the homicidal executioner first. :black101:

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

mistermojo posted:

1) in Anor Londo, If I kill the firekeeper at the first bonfire for her soul (I missed the one in Blighttown so I'm still at +1), do both the bonfires in the level go out or just hers?

2) What does upgrading the Pyromancy Flame do, increase the damage for spells or just let me use new spells? I can't find any kind of damage info on it or the fireballs

1) Guide says no, I believe. Just hers goes out.

2) Increases spell damage, and also the damage you do when punching with the flame (r2). Also you eventually get stat scaling, but only for the punching.

Fargin Icehole posted:

So I'm at the end, at Bed of Chaos but i can't seem to get it right. Just what am i supposed to do? I'm not used to bosses that I can't bash on the head in the beginning.

You go to the left (or right too, doesn't matter I think) where the shielded area is then cut down the branches blocking your way and attack the core there. Repeat for opposite side, then his center goes up and you have to go toward that and all the way in to finish him off with one hit. This is one of the rare bosses that actually saves your progress through it.

darkOcean posted:

Secret secret stuff

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely nothing to tell you about this quest line, but there's plenty of things in this game that you'd have almost no idea how to get if it weren't for guides/wiki's/forums.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

demons_souls posted:

Do unlooted corpses become vagrants or is it just naked items? I guess it's hard to know but I'll ask anyway.

Only items dropped, or humanity from a bloodstain unretrieved. However, I think the guide says that these will only spawn in specific locations.

Elysiume posted:

But why did they attack me?

Anastacia is the firekeeper at Firelink Shrine.
Oh right, completely forgot she had a name...kind of sad that I did. But also I actually don't know why they attack you, that's something that sort of mystified me too. It makes even less sense when you consider that when you kill Gwynevere that Anor Londo goes dark and many of the enemies vanish, as if they were summoned in conjunction with her.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Vargs posted:

I've been idling in front of bosses with my summon sign down for several hours over the last few days, and haven't been summoned once since leaving Way of the White for Warriors of Sunlight. I don't know whether it's just because the sign is tougher to spot since it's the same color as normal messages (this was a bad idea, From), or if it has to do with the covenant itself, but I'm awfully disappointed.

Sorry Solaire, your covenant blows. I'm going back to that !@#$%^&* Petrus.

It's most likely due to level gap, what level are you and what zone are you dropping it in? Also I'm pretty sure the summon signs are yellow while the messages are red. Covenants do help you get summoned by groups of the same, but the problems are mostly due to level gaps and the P2P system. You can also try what I do, and every minute or so redrop your sign, so that the game assigns your summon sign to a different server and possibly to people who are looking.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

DeathSandwich posted:

Hey guys I've been out of the thread for a day and a half an...

1500 new posts :smithicide:

Anyone want to paraphrase anything important/from software announcements that has gone on in the thread since then?

I haven't read much of this thread sadly, because...wow it's long. But I have heard that there's a planned patch on the way (heard this from gamefaqs) that will fix matchmaking, possibly deal with fog rings, and change how stat scaling works.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Elysiume posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. If you were on a different server, I'm fairly certain the orange messages would change, and they don't.

Well they do change once in a while if you notice, but I'm not sure what triggers them to change. I imagine, though, that every time you drop your soul sign it's sent to one of the servers, possibly assigned based on covenant populations. I sincerely doubt that everyone is assigned a server to play on throughout the entire game, it has to change once in a while to mix the players whom you group with.

It would also be silly if your soul sign was only sent to one server no matter what. I've heard of people grouping faster this way with friends, but I suppose I don't have any evidence that it does.

Edited: Whoops, saved it too early.

Double Edit: Well, after reading both arguments I'll admit it's a good possibility, and actually may be a solution for why I couldn't get it to help me group with a buddy. So I'll try this sometime and see how it effects it. Thanks!

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

The.GreyWolf posted:

I'm chilling there right now, level 28 on the 360.

Think I'll move there then. I'm lvl 18 and been helping new people whip the gargoyle for a while for fun, was thinking of helping with the Capra Demon but I don't think it's that active. I can't chill at Blighttown cause the boss just laughs at pyromancy, and I think lvl 18 is lower then most who go to Sens or Anor Londo.

Edit: On the PS3.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

The.GreyWolf posted:

Gaping Dragon gives like, 12k~ souls and a humanity point if you win, too.

Well while the humanity point is a plus, you can always just farm the forest for quicker souls. I'm mostly doing it to help out, and look cool as I roast stuff with pyromancy while my character's in a frilly dress. Also for the off chance I get to stop an invader, revenge for all the times on my main I got whipped, now the fire...the fire burns them all.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Shumagorath posted:

!@#$%^&* yeah, Quelaag down! I got really lucky with phantoms and found a guy with a lighting spear before Anor Londo (somehow), and he pretty much did all the work. I got a few whacks in with my gold resin'd Shotel +7 but I have a feeling that guy was just built way better than I am.

I've nearly got enough STR and DEX to wield Gravelord and Magic Iaito, so once those are taken care of in my mid 50's it's INT, END and VIT all the way up.

Be careful not to go too far though, from what I understand the summoning scene gets real empty after a certain level. Also he probably just got the lightning spear, then went back to help people in blighttown. I've already beaten Anor Londo and the Duke Archives at 18 and can go back to help people in the Gargoyle boss.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, did you censor that quote, or do you have some kind of filter for strong language in place?

Dangit, there's some kind of filter on my account and I cannot figure out why. But no, I didn't personally censor you. Now excuse me while I search the dang control panel to find out what's causing it...

The.GreyWolf posted:

White Phantoming also helps with getting into a certain covenant faster.

I think I've done enough at this point to be let in with 0 faith if I had so low a value.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

NESguerilla posted:

Not having fun anymore. I'm just trying to bust out the end game and this is just...stupid. It's just turned into lovely unfun nonsense.

Are you talking about Tomb of the Giants? Because I think there's no one who would disagree with you on that. Even with a form of light it's ridiculous, then there's that one tiny room with the [spoiler]like 6 giant skeletons.[/spoilers] It's like they want you to break your controllers and spend money on buying new ones.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I'm getting a ton of summoning action right before the Capra Demon at SL18, so I was wrong in an earlier post. It's also great revenge for how much of a jerk of a boss he is. Just Iron Flesh up, walk in, combust his face off.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Mayor McCheese posted:

I just finished this horrible place, even worse when you're trying to get invaded by the NPC Paladin Leeroy. I kept getting invaded by players with fog rings and for the first time I just unplugged my ethernet connection. When I plugged it back in I got an angry PM about pussying out in pvp.

Good stuff.

This is why I hate pvp in this game, mind you part of it is because I suck but really a lot of it is because you're already trying to play a real hard game. These pvpers have already passed the spot you're in, some stick to a certain SL and go as far into the game as they need to get all their gear. Then they go and invade, invade, and invade some more. I mean I like the idea of the pvp in the game, but when a guy in full Smough gear comes at you with some giant lightning weapon in the Undead Parish...seems kind of douchey.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

a shameful boehner posted:

Sen's Fortress.

Basically, when you run into the first ball falling spot, run up and go into the door on the left. You go past this room, avoid the trap in the tiny hall, beat up that lizard. Then from here you'll be in another room where a ball falls down, wait for the ball to fall down then rush on behind it until you can enter a room at the bottom on the left. Mimic's the only chest in the room. Also take note that there's a secret room where that second ball rolls down, wait a few times until enough balls roll down and fill up the pit they fall into. The last ball will then bust open a wall and then stuff is inside.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Zain posted:

Well I would say Undead Parish the Church is a really big place to fight. Right now I'm level 26 and min maxed (Not because I did it to be a dick to gank people, but because I liked the whole idea of being really powerful small guy. Glass cannon)

Should be worth noting that the patch may make scaling functional, thus allowing a higher SL for pvp/co-oping at. So may be best to decide until then.

I'm also going the same route too though Zain, still 18 and pretty much only plan to stuff it into int after this to get some good sorceries.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Ixjuvin posted:

For what it's worth I do agree that the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith are the laziest-designed portions of DS and probably my least-favorite zones. On the other hand, just like the rest of the game, once you know what you're going to be up against it is a thousand times easier to be prepared next time. I had to fight the torso demons as a pure melee character, it was a nightmare. In NG+ I'll be going in with bows and a full pyro compliment.

The only problem I'm having on my second character as a full pyromancer is that I run into a giant brick wall whenever I fight something completely resistant to fire. So Lost Izalith is going to be a nightmare until I can pull out the powerful sorceries or get my enchanted claymore to +5

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Captain Beans posted:

I've tried to avoid anything big in this thread but I see something about a patch. Is there anything I should know for a person trying to dodge all info?

Probably that scaling weapons may make a comeback, and that multi-player matchmaking may improve afterwards.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

pixaal posted:

We really know nothing of the patch, people believe its PvP balance stuff and better stat scaling to "balance" high level PvP. but its 100% speculation. It's also not out yet I'm still on 1.03. (on PS3) I think MS has some fairly lengthily processor for Xbox so I wouldn't be shocked if PS3 gets the patch first (or that could only be for demos, I know Xbox's rules is the reason battlefield 3 Beta is using such an old version)

http://translate.google.com/transla....jp%2Fonline%2F

Hopefully that link works, can read the goofy translation and see that they say what the patch will basically entail. It's involving something to do with the glitched magic shield, something about stats on weapons, and the fog ring.

Edit:

Filthy Monkey posted:

But there isn't even anything you need to fight there if you open up the shortcut. As a pyromancer, you probably want to get all the pyromancies anyway, so you would be leveling up chaos covenant. You can just hoof it through the shortcut right to the boss, and the boss can easily be defeated by a level 1 anything.

Granted, you'll probably want to take out the firesage in the demon ruins just for the platform shotcut, but the centipede is completely skippable.

Good point, had actually completely forgotten about this.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

NESguerilla posted:

It's amazing how easy it is to defeat when you let your game tank in quality out of nowhere.

I'm still playing, it's just not as good of a game at the end imo.

I'd disagree, at least just in that you earlier said that the game loses it's quality after Anor Londo, but the Duke's Archives/Crystal caves were incredibly beautiful and were not nearly as cheap as Tomb of the Giants or the Abyss.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

DarkArchimedes posted:

I don't think the Tomb of Giants was good, but I also don't find it particularly bad. Generally speaking I hate darkness mechanics, but the area's really not all that large, and if you grab the skull lantern, you pretty much have a guided tour of getting through it. (Still hate darkness mechanics, and I think they're mostly a waste, this included. Dark Souls just feels less egregious.)

Also, the aggro radius on the monsters there is pretty forgiving considering you can't see them. Even without the lantern or Sunlight Maggot, I never got attacked unless I stopped being careful.

No they were bad, and while they may not have been as bad for you they were for most. That's really the problem, for just about your average gamer (and probably even pros) they're a nightmare. Luckily though, as you said, the area itself is rather short, but that doesn't make up for most of the nightmarish quality of it. Now I'm not going to say it's badly designed, but I'd argue it's on the thin line between being difficult and just plain cheap.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

King of Solomon posted:

I'd agree that maybe it borders the line, but the thing ends with unavoidable fall damage, so !@#$%^&* that. The Tomb of the Giants is cheap.

Yeah, I just hated it so much that there were so many giant skeletons in the first part...and those stupid giant archers. I'd get into a rumble with one then get knocked off a cliff cause I was stupid and didn't dodge, then fall down and SOMEHOW land somewhere safe. Only to get into melee with 2 more giant skeletons, and archers are over there, and OH FFFFFUUU WHERE'D THE 2 SKELETONS GO!? *Gets slashed in the back and dies*

Edit: @Sumadartson

That's the problem with the game now, that elemental weapons are super OP. There's little point to go with any scaling weapons as fire and lightning weapons will sweep the floor in terms of damage against anything else.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I don't know about you guys but dodging between giants' legs as a thief is fun as hell, skeletons or no.

It was fun for me until the first one I rolled under swung around in a second, laughed, and slapped me off the cliff like a rag doll. I admit I suck at dodging in this game though, so I'm willing to admit it's also cause of that.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Megasabin posted:

"It's pretty cruddy. I recall regular lightning doing 250-ish, greater about 450 and sunlight about 600. One big difference is that sunlight seems to knock down whatever it hits. Aside from that, it's just a big slot hog with way too few charges and unimpressive damage."

Honestly gamefaqs is a godsend for this game. I haven't used it in years and I know it get's ragged on all the time, but it's seriously fantastic for this game. If everyone would start to just use the search function on the Dark Souls board there this thread would be way less clogged up with questions like "Where do I get X item?" or "where do I go next" which has been answered a million times.

I'd use it more, but I tend to hate most of the attitudes the gamefaqs posters tend to have.
"Hey I have a real big problem in this one spot!"
"Oh it's so easy, I didn't even die once. Don't know why you guys are having such a problem."
People here at least say how they were able to deal with a tough spot, and offer advice.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Plutonic Cheddar posted:

Oh my god the Blightlands. I literally spent 4 hours trying to just get out of the loving place. I got to the bonfire and everything looked the same and I was constantly getting poisoned or my face eaten off trying to get out.

Are there any other areas like that which are easy to get lost in? Even after finally escaping I only have a vague idea of the layout. I'm so frustrated I want to start over, if that makes any sense at all.

Yeah, the first time I went through Blighttown I got a little confused, especially cause I went in through the Valley of the Dragons entrance. It doesn't help that the lightning changes a lot and can severely cut off your vision, but once you go through it a little more it's not as difficult.

Tomb of the Giants can get confusing in the first area, because it's pitch black and unless you memorize the path you don't know where you're going. You might get lost in the Duke's Archives as well, but probably not as much as Blighttown. Beyond those, I can't think of any areas beyond that are that easy to get lost in.

Edit: @Megasabin
Yeah, I have tried it a bit. I'm also sorry, I shouldn't make generalizations. There's some genuinely helpful people on there, I just can't stand people who brag about how easy they find the game and instead insult people. There's not many of those there I suppose, but there are some and they stand out.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 18, 2011

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Miijhal posted:

So, I made an alt character to fiddle around with magic. Beat the Hellkite Dragon, got to the soul-farming area of Darkroot Garden, beat the Hydra, and the golden crystal golem.

So now I have a male sorcerer named 'Fabularus' clad in the Antiquated set. Also, the antiquated skirt starts out better than the gold trimmed skirt, and if fully upgraded, is better than Havel's Leggings.

I'm loving this.

Yeah, I love that the Antiquated skirt has incredible defensive stats. I was using that with the rest of the gold hemmed armor on my old main, she looked incredibly silly. Now I'm wearing the skirt and dusk helm with the maiden set on my new pyro girl who uses a silver knight shield and enchanted claymore. And in-case no one knew, the dusk helm actually does increase pyro damage along with sorcery damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Anyone still having trouble with the Capra demon just look for my sign just before the boss if you're on PS3 and within 10 levels of SL18. My psn is the same name as mine on here. Just expect him to get steam rolled by me since I can combust him in 3.

• Locked thread