Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Then again I'm just assuming based on the name of the set, but there's every chance male characters can wear it too. :v:

That armor can be equipped by men too, I watched a stream with a male character who used it when loving around.
Armor is all unisex this time around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
This stream is significantly better than I was expecting. The woman playing is actually pretty good and they're not really all that annoying.

So yeah, safe to watch.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield? I was thinking when I got the game my first character is going to be a bandit with the black turpentine bombs as my initial gift so I can just burn his rear end out the first time I meet him.

To answer your question, yes! The demon drops his massive hammer. It requires over 45 strength to use. It is an entire waste to get on your first playthrough, because there is almost no way you'll have that much strength by the end of your playthrough - and you can get it on NG+ when you have your better gear and stats. And will have the chance to use it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Bonesnap posted:

Are there more spears in this one? And have they changed the animations at all?

There are at least four different spears that I've seen so far, with there being possibly more. The animations don't seem to be changed much, though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jetpack Postman posted:

Not true. They changed animations for at least two big weapon series that I can think of off the top of my head: 1-handed Halberd attacks are a simple spear-like thrust, rather than those really clumsy swings. 1-handed Katanas now attack with a vertical swipe rather than a horizontal one. Spears are mostly unchanged, though.

My bad, didn't clarify. I meant that spears are mostly unchanged and they all seem to share the same moveset, not all of the weapons.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Zebrasectomy posted:

So what should someone who's never played a 'Souls game know about Stat distribution? Is it easy break a character? I hear starting class doesn't matter much, is that true?

Starting class matters only at the very beginning of the game, and on your first playthrough it's hard to "break" a character. In NG+ it starts to matter more, but on your first playthrough of the game, generalizing will not hurt your character at all. I would also actually recommend it over specializing, it gives you the chance to try out a lot of different playstyles and you'll be familiar with whatever you would like to do afterwards.
For what you'll need to know -

Vitality and Endurance are always important. If you're on the fence about what you should upgrade on any particular level, these are both worth it.

Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith are all the "specialized" stats. Focusing on them isn't necessary first time like I said, but you'll probably want to at some point. Weapons often require a certain value of these and scale extra damage off one, two, or in some rare cases, three. (Never all four, as far as I know.)

Attunement is common to all spellcasting classes and gives you extra spell slots. If you focus on Intelligence or Faith, this is pretty much as important as Endurance is to Strength and Dexterity.

Resistance is a bit of a weird one and increases your defense against various hazards like poison and bleeding, and I've heard that it also gives more physical defense per level. It's new to Dark Souls, so I can't say much about it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Kweh posted:

Ok here is a question regarding the forest hunter covenant: I am in the covenant and have gotten sif to about literally 1 healthpoint. he is limping around like crazy but its not giving me a chance to let him escape. how do I do it?

To be able to let Sif live, you have to do more than just be in the covenant. You have to abide by its rules and kill about four invaders, at which point an event will trigger. Alvina will reveal that she really hates the wolf and asks you to kill it. With this flagged you get the option to let Sif live, and you get a reward for it. A warning, though: you will break the poo poo out of the covenant for doing this. I think you're permanently locked out of it for the rest of the playthrough and end up particularly notorius on the book of the guilty for it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Organic Robot posted:

What exactly is a "Raw Battle Axe"? It has higher stats than my current +6 one but doesn't seem like it would upgrade.

Raw is an upgrade path that increases its base stats but lowers its stat scaling. Good if you're a generalist and don't have particularly high stats.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Revitalized posted:

So how are my rolls determined? Is it my equip burden? I want to be able to roll without my controller shaking in some medium armor.

It's determined by your equip burden, yes!
Under 25% of you burden earns you the fastest roll available from the start (There's a faster one later on, apparently gotten from high dexterity), between 25% and 50% is a medium-speed roll, over 50% is the fat roll, and over 100% means you can't roll or run at all.

Jimbot posted:

On the subject of Anor Lando is there a set of armor that is like the bonfire keeper's I can find? If you can kill her and take it, I rather not.

There is indeed a set of armor like that. It's found in The Duke's Archive.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jimbot posted:

Awesome. That armor reminds me of the Dull Gold armor from Demon's Souls and that stuff was my absolute favorite for my female character.

I'm a derp and mis-interpreted your question. Wrong firekeeper.

However, that firekeeper's armor is also obtainable, but it's much more secret. You get it after fighting Dark Moon Gwyndolin.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Uh, aside from being able to kindle bonfires, what exactly is the benefit of being human? Do you not get the benefits of humanity stockpiles while hollowed? Having a lower drop rate really doesn't seem that bad, especially compared to losing half your life bar. Guess I'm having trouble justifying spending the humanity to stay human more often than not when it's so easy to lose.

Being human lets you summon white phantoms and be invaded by black phantoms, higher humanity increases your Curse resistance, and Chaos weapons scale off of humanity.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Satanos posted:

So, I'm in the Undead Parish and just found a man in funky armour.

His outfit reminds me of Yurt.
His situation reminds me of Yurt.
His dialogue reminds me of Yurt.
I think he might be this game's Yurt.

... I do not how to approach this or his promise of "later reward".

He's this game's Yurt. However unlike last game's Yurt, there's actually a better reward later on if you don't kill him now. It's a pain in the rear end to deal with, though, so if you're on the fence about whether your should kill him or not, you should probably do it now.

Demitri Omni posted:

How far into the game do you get whatever it is that lets you teleport/travel between bonfires quickly?

After you hit the about 30/40% point. After you set down the Lord Vessel, that is.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

GreatGreen posted:

So here's something I've been wondering... Demon's Souls had a lot of variety as far as the settings were concerned. Castles, swamp-side spires at nightfall, diseased poo poo-filled caves where all the earth's filth flows, windy rock crags, caves far beneath the earth, etc.

Does Dark Souls ever depart from its initial "Castle Boletaria 2" look?

Constantly. Castle Boletaria 2 is only in the first two areas or so. There's a bit of aesthetic borrowing from Demon's Souls, but there's areas that look way different and interesting as well.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Game finally got here! Yesss.
Having a hangup on the 360 controller, though. The D-Pad sucks. The only time I've died so far is because it triggered to switch my shield instead of item.

Started as a Thief for Master Key + Pendant, and my generally Parry/Riposte-heavy playstyle. My advice, if anyone does this too, is get the Dragon Crest Shield and Estoc immediately - they're amazingly good and available to you from the very start! I also got the Firekeeper's Soul in New Londo Ruins before even going up to the Undead Burg at all, was healing almost my entire health bar all in one go.

Also I killed the first black knight on my first try the first time I saw him. Learn to parry, all you scrubs who died to him. :smug:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Aggh, same here. :argh:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jaros posted:

Where in Anor Londo is Havel's Armor? I see some places say Lord Gwyn's Manor but I have no idea where that is. Is that past the goldish fog gate?

Hit every fireplace you find.
e:f,b

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Seizureman posted:

Asked a few pages back to no response: Can I buy arrows somewhere early in the game if I killed the undead merchant, and do Black Knights respawn?

The undead woman behind the grate (she becomes easily accessible after clearing the lower burg) sells fire and poison arrows, but not standard or large. These are your best bet until later on.

Also, no. Black knights don't respawn.

Edit: The fire and poison arrows are quite expensive at 100 souls a pop, though, so you're poo poo-outta-luck if you want something affordable!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Fuzz posted:

Where the gently caress is the second Fire Keeper soul? I want my +2 flasks.

There's three firekeeper's souls relatively available from the start of the game, one very obviously in the Undead Parish, one early on in New Londo Ruins, and one in a heavily guarded and extremely dangerous area of Blighttown.

You can literally get the New Londo one when you start a character. I did that, and had an Estus Flask+1 before starting the Undead Burg. It was extremely useful, let me tell you.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Seizureman posted:

I only need enough arrow to get the drake sword, so that will do fine. Black Knights not respawning is some bullshit. I want my loot, damnit :colbert:.

Endgame spoilers unless you don't care! They're normal enemies in the final area and do respawn. You'll have your chance to get all the Black Knight weapons there, and the armor is in a chest in the area.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Tokubetsu posted:

I can't "get" The Hollow. I keep falling off. This is worse than loving Blighttown. Do I have to go down this loving tree?

That entire area is completely optional. You don't have to do it at all.
You still should, though. The deeper you go the cooler it gets.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Pyruvate posted:

Anyone have any tips for playing a thief? I beat the warthog [by shoving a spear up its rear end], but I'm having trouble with the knights, like the one downstairs in Undead Burg, and the ones after the warthog. I'm using a spear two-handed and a shortsword or bandit knife with a shield. Should I concentrate on stats beside dex, end, and vitality?

Go down to New Londo, get the Estoc. The Estoc does both thrusting and regular damage with two separate, useful attack patterns - weak attacks do thrusting, strong do regular. It meshes perfectly with the thief parry/backstab playstyle due to also having a high critical damage stat. It has decently high base stats, and it scales well with Dexterity.

I recommend upgrading it some. I'm at about 18 dex with an Estoc +5 and comfortably killing the knights.

Dexterity, Endurance and Vitality are your main stats, yes, but don't neglect to pump a bit of Strength if necessary or some Intelligence or Faith if you want to branch out into spells. The Thief starts with one spell slot due to his attunement, I would recommend the Heal miracle.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Leyburn posted:

Can someone please help me with the mean motherfucking crawling skeletons in The Tomb of Giants?! Is there any way to avoid getting ripped apart by them?

They kind of flail around a whole lot after attacking, so rolling out of the way is the easiest way to deal with them. Then again, since they're in the tomb of giants, this is also a good way to kill yourself. FromSoft designed an enemy with an obvious weakness that you specifically can't use in the area you fight them in. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Nick Biped posted:

Quick question: is there any purpose for the Fire Keeper's Soul other than upgrading your Estus Flasks? I assume you can use it up to give yourself souls, but that doesn't quite seem the best use for it.

You can't upgrade your Estus Flask past +7, so on NG+ they're just an easy source of humanity.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

nauggins posted:

Anybody having a problem with (what I assume is) controller lag? Like, I'll try to swing at something, but I just stand there for several seconds before I ACTUALLY attack. I have died so many times because of this. This is on 360.

Also gently caress you From for the stupid loving curse-frog haters in the Depths goddamn they got me three loving times, owing partly to that controller lag.

I'm having the same issue. It almost seems as if it's not really controller lag so much as skipping input? Like you'll use an item but it won't actually go through until you press another button, usually LB because you want to put your shield up. It happens rare enough that it's not a huge issue but often enough to be an unfair cause of death, like the lovely d-pad swapping out your shield for your bow when you just wanted to get your estus flask out.

I'm using a wireless controller, what about you?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

nauggins posted:

I'm using a wireless controller too. And I think you might be right about skipping input. When I notice it happening, I mash LB to get my shield up, then the attack goes through, then the shield comes up.

I'd like to think it's not actually the game so much as maybe some interference with the controller and you'd normally not notice it because most games aren't nearly as tactical with your button presses, so try moving the 360 closer and keep metal away when playing.

Not sure why it would read the first input most of the time but occasionally not otherwise.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Shalinor posted:

When you kindle a bonfire, does it then give you 10 flasks from then on, period? Even if you die, quit, reload and come back later, etc? Or is it a somewhat temporary upgrade?

Also, every few minutes, a weird golden light beam seems to come from nowhere in particular pointed at my head (or come out of my head), along with a strange noise. Once, I thought it gave me a point of humanity, but not every time. What the heck is that thing? Is that what happens when someone rates a message I've dropped, or... what? Is it a good thing?

The golden light is someone on your P2P network kindling a bonfire nearby, giving you an extra estus flask use. Getting humanity that way is a black light.

As for the kindling, that bonfire is kindled for the rest of your playthrough. It will always give you 10 flasks whenever you rest at it, always.

Leyburn posted:

What does upgrading the Pyromancy Flame do? Does it increase the power of your spells?

Pyromancy scales a little with Int, but mostly from your upgraded Pyromancy Flame. So yes, it increases the power of your spells by a whole lot.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

bobby2times posted:

oh god invading with toxic mist is awesome for griefing. The hate messages I've received... Also despite dark armor looking badass, is there a reason to use it over gold hemmed armor?

Dark Armor can be upgraded, and it ends up pretty goddamn good, weight efficient for high defense boosts.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

I bloody love the dialogue in this game. The shopkeepers are mental, especially the undead guy in the Burg. I love the jaded, judgemental guy in Sen's Fortress aswell.

Quite a pickle. Quite a pickle indeed. Hmmm.... hmmmm.
all of siegmeyer's dialogue is hilarious because he's in such terrible situations and he doesn't give a gently caress

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

rizuhbull posted:

My stats are...
21 vit
10 att
17 end
32 str
18 dex
14 res
9 int
11 fth

I'm using a 5+ Claymore, +2 Black Knight Greatsword, 3+ elite knight helm, 5+ elite knight armor, 3+ leather gloves, and 3+ elite knight leggings.

how the hell are you having trouble with the gaping dragon
it is one of the easiest bosses in the game and you are an absolute monster for the time you fight it
seriously you're supposed to fight it in the 20s

Are you trying to attack its face? Don't do that. Stick to its tail and back haunches when you chop the tail off.

I've said this a bunch of times already but I'll say it again.
If you are having trouble with a boss, hit it in the rear end.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Where can I find higher level miracles? I've got the ones from the starting trainer and the lightning spear from the covenant and I'll probably pick up the one from the gravelord if there's a better place to farm eyes than the loving sewers.

There's an event in the Catacombs that opens up the advanced Miracles trainer. She ends up in the Undead Parish, where the Firekeeper's Soul is.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Essentially the Dark equipment starts out as very vanilla equipment but has the properties of unique while having the potential of upgrades. The Dark Sword has a unique attack pattern that's fast and full of combo potential, has decent base stats and can be used by literally anyone on any build due to having stat requirements so low that any starting class could use it from the beginning. The Dark Armor is solid medium-heavy armor with good stats.

It's pretty good stuff, and it can be molded into whatever you want.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

smuh posted:

One small unimportant thing I noticed: The item descriptions for the Pendant and the Sunlight Medals are exactly the same :confused: Seems like maybe bad translation or a weird bug or something.

Namco is really bad at localization. Pretty good at marketing, but terrible localization. We were spoiled for Atlus's version of Demon's Souls.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Noxville posted:

Look around for ladders, there's actually two up from the platform you first go to and one only leads to that snipers nest IIRC

Importantly, all the ladders are marked with torches. This makes getting around a lot easier.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Zain posted:

Can the Pyromancy glove be upgraded past 15?

Yep! There's an NPC that will upgrade it again, into a Strong Pyromancy Flame and that can then be upgraded to +5. All in all, it's got 21 levels of power.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Defghanistan posted:

Sounds good, I am sold. I upgraded the shield, it's awesome! I brought a claymore +5 to the giantsmith and he didnt even list it as something he could work on (in any of the tabs) what gives?

Andrei is the only Blacksmith that can work weapons to over +5. It's a bit weird, and it does need to be +10 to make it available for the Lightning upgrade path.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I saw this on Twitter just now.

like a magnificent father

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Toiwat posted:

So I'm curious, what happens if I kill Gwynevere and Gwyndolin? Should I do it? Do I screw myself out of something?

You lock yourself out of two covenants, but neither are very important and you do get stuff for it. So murder away!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
But the patch for 1.03 has already gone through for the 360 so I don't know what you're talking about?

Edit: Ah, so there's another patch coming out. Although seeing as how quickly the 1.03 one happened, I don't think it's going to take very long.

mdct fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 17, 2011

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

That or the fact that the controls didn't work. I couldn't target O, who I needed to block, so I died.

What in the world are you doing retargeting during S+O? You focus on one guy and attack the one you're -not- targeting, keeping both on screen at the same time. Unless you're kiting O around the room, in which case you probably shouldn't be targeting at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

Because then one of them flanks you and you're targetting the other, so you're left exposed and have to switch to face the one about to hit you in the face. Just had a do with some help - got O down but then oh brills S gets lightning hammer. WOO!

That's the point of attacking the one who you're not targeting. It keeps both of them on screen, and you avoid getting flanked. It works better if you're attacking Smough first, due to his larger hitbox and slower attacks, and Ornstein has a habit of getting caught behind him.

• Locked thread