Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mordiceius posted:

Where's the place where you can buy the white soapstone to allow yourself to be summoned?

You don't buy it, you talk to Solaire and he gives it to you. Exactly before the Dragon Bridge, he's chilling out on a balcony. "If only I could be so grossly incandescent!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

doomfunk posted:

I want the fire keeper's armour from Anor Londo. Is the only way to get it either killing her, or pissing Gwyndolin off? Because I want to do neither.

Unfortunately, the only way to get it is by killing Gwyndolin. The armor is in a chest past her boss room. It's also not that good, it just looks rad as hell.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Beat Ornstein & Smough on my second try. :smug: Was SL 49.
Also Lightning Claymore +5 is broken as poo poo. Smough goes down in four strong hits! Giant Ornstein is trivialized by Iron Flesh and having more than 5 uses of your flask.

So if you're having trouble, pump the poo poo out of your weapon.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Rascyc posted:

The Mushroom people in the Great Hollow were probably one of the few monsters that made me go :stare: when one finally hit me.

The Mushroom Daddies have some of the strongest single-hit attacks and HP values in the game.

Do not gently caress with them under any circumstance. You will die.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Revitalized posted:

A question about the Solaire line: I've summoned Solaire for every fight up until the centipede, but I didn't realize I needed him and defeated the Centipede after a couple tries with ease. Am I boned for seeing Solaire all the way through to the end? Or can I still proceed and see him in the endgame?

You don't need to summon Solaire for every fight, just that you trigger him before. As long as you talked to him, you should be fine.

Speaking of Solaire!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Elysiume posted:

I want a Black Knight shield that I can use throughout the game and look cool. Lightning weapons are a long ways away.

Does Balder Shield get poo poo when upgraded or something? At +0 it has 6 more stability than a Hollow Soldier Shield.

The Balder Shield actually ends up with less stability than the Hollow Soldier Shield, actually. Hell, the only shield with more stability than a fully upgraded Hollow Soldier Shield is the Greatshield of Artorias.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The trick to the Snipers in Anor Londo is extremely simple. Keep to the wall and roll underneath the one shooting at you that you can see; getting hit by the one behind you will knock you forward but it won't kill you. Then run -right- next to the knight and keep your shield up. He'll fall down by attacking you. You're home free by that point.

I did this twice. I only tried getting past them twice. Two for two success rate.

Seriously they're not that hard to get by.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Elysiume posted:

Does invading in the Forest completely ignore level? I invaded a guy running around with Havel's and Black Knight gear who was at least under 50% encumbrance.

He was probably just wearing both Havel's Ring and the Ring of Favor and Protection.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Apparently this guy disagrees.

Anor Londo: A Musical Tribute

The lamentations of those broken by Dark Souls no matter how small or grand are music enough, I didn't need it to be an actual song. :allears:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

ConfusedUs posted:

Dual Shields.

This was the most hilarious way to play Demon's Souls, it's still the best way to play in Dark Souls.

This is the only choice.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Daveski posted:

So my pyromancy flame is only at +9, but Laurentius already went to the swamp and is dead. The trainer that supposedly appears is not there yet ...am I boned?

You can also upgrade the Pyromancy Flame at Engyei/Eingyi/Whatever his name is. The one who shows up later is the only one who can ascend your flame.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I just got my strength and dex up high enough to start using the Dragonslayer Greatbow (Aim of 34 strength by the end to start using a Fire Greatsword+10 and the Greatshield of Artorias) and holy poo poo it's the most fun I've had in the entire game.

Grinding up souls to get arrows for it is the worst, but every arrow will deal 300 damage and knock down basically every enemy in the game that can be, giving you ample time to gently caress poo poo up.

(I used all of my consumable souls and a number of boss souls to get 160 arrows; cost over 80,000 in all but it was worth every bit)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

sentrygun posted:

Smough isn't a woman...

Oh god, I really hope Smough isn't a woman. :gonk:

It was thought that one of the two were a woman for the longest time, originally Ornstein but since items that actually explain he's a dude are a little more common, suspicion went onto Smough.

Smough's a dude, though; his hammer's description says so. Also that he's literally a "grind your bones into my bread" evil, too, and it's the only reason why he isn't one of Gwyn's four knights.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Palleon posted:

Where is the best place for me to try to get some titanite chunks having just beat Anor Londo? I want to get my claymore enchanted to lightning before fighting the New Londo Ruins boss, but it seems...quite rare, and the options listed in the wiki don't seem to be helpful unless you're at endgame.

In New Londo itself. Darkwraiths drop Titanite Chunks pretty often, and even rarely Titanite Slabs. They're kind of a pain in the rear end to farm, though, due to there not being any bonfires in all of New Londo Ruins.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Kild posted:

Merchant in Sen's fortress.

Those are Large Titanite Shards, not Titanite Chunks, bro.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you make Anor Londo dark, are all of the bonfires extinguished?

No, only the first one. The other three still work fine.

Also, this is the best use of the dragon head infinite items glitch.

mdct fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 31, 2011

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Paino posted:

People bring it up because it's hard. I killd Sif at lvl 31 with a +5 Spear on my second try before even getting to the Capra demon (yeah hooray me for not reading guides I suppose). It took me almost one hour. It was crazy difficult, but fairer and way way less retarded than this.

It's... not actually hard, though, you're just having trouble with learning from your mistakes. There is a trick to it that you're not seeing. I've done that three for three and have never failed at it, and one of those times was in darkened Anor Londo. It's literally just "run up the way, face the wall, roll under the one arrow it will pull off, brush up tenderly and put your shield up so he falls off when he tries to hit you a few times". It's not difficult, you just have to not be twitchy.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

CoderCat posted:

Is upgrading the Pyromancy Flame beyond +15 worth it? It only adds 20 more points of MagAdjust but costs a fortune of souls. Mine is already very powerful at +15. I can kill black knights with two fire orbs.

Eventually, yes. Keep in mind it does not scale, so you will a long time from now run into a point where you can't kill a dude fast enough. Unless you don't plan on ever doing NG+, then you're actually past the point where it does reasonable damage and is in straight-up overpowered territory.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Dizz posted:

One more question. I'm heading to try and join the Dragon Covenant but I heard something about a Lord's Vessel and that I might get stuck if I get there and dont have it. Is this true?

Nah, the Dragon Covenant is accessible throughout the game without any issue, and without any way to break it aside from leaving. It's one of the most safe, in fact. It's the Darkwraith Covenant that can be blocked off.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Speaking of Solaire, his dialogue hasn't been recorded yet, and it makes me kind of sad. So here's a wonderful montage of the dude instead.

I really don't think I'll ever be able to kill Solaire for his gear. He's just too great.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is the Black Knight Sword just that much better than the Bell Tower Gargoyle's Tail Axe? I don't really see much of a reason to use the axe, given that it's like half the damage.

Gargoyle Tail Axe kind of sucks, really! It's not even particularly good for a regular axe; the regular Battle Axe is better. The Black Knight Sword is a pretty wonderful weapon; all of the Black Knight weapons are. But they drop randomly, so you have to get luckly to get one you want.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Speaking of awesome axes, I want an axe with a short hilt. The Battle Axe is a good example, but I'm wondering if there's something more powerful. The Black Knight Greataxe seems like it might be larger than what I want, given it's picture on the wiki (http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Black+Knight+Greataxe). Does anyone know which other axes have the same short-hilt design as the Battle Axe?

The Golem Axe is what you're looking for. It has one of the better R2 attacks for a boss weapon. It's not nearly as good overall as the Black Knight Greataxe, but it's not bad, either.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Schwartzcough posted:

You sure that's specific to thrusting attacks? I think enemies have "vulnerable" animations where you do more damage, such as after having their weapon deflected off a shield, or during some attacks. I don't think there's a specific requirement for thrusting damage.

The extra 20% isn't, no, but the extra boost from the Leo Ring is.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Megalixir posted:

Apparently the Mimic Head helmet no longer stacks with the Serpent Ring, can someone confirm? :( I was looknig forward to provoking mimics to get this for my level 5...

It never did stack with the Serpent rings.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

casual poster posted:

Not sure why everyone isn't wearing the boar helmet, thing looks badass.

It's not a 100% drop, unfortunately! I would have worn it the whole game if it dropped for me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Schwartzcough posted:

^^^Edit: Giant set gets you 77 poise for 35.8 weight, vs. Black Iron's 67 poise for 34 weight. So it's a choice of 10 more poise vs. ~2 extra weight.

The Giant's set also has the highest physical defenses of any set in the game when fully upgraded, even moreso than Smough's Armor, and has good Magic and elemental defenses as well.

The Giant's set is really good, is what I'm saying.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

oneliquidninja posted:

Have you used it? The flavor text has me concerned but the data mined information doesn't show any special penalties that other heavy armor sets don't have so I'm thinking it really is just flavor text.

i.e. have you noticed a stamina regen penalty with it?

I've used it extensively! The helmet, gauntlets, and leggings, with Ornstein's armor. The physical defense on it is great, and while the elemental and magic ones aren't exemplary, they're still really good. It has poor status resistances, though.

There's definitely a large stamina penalty to it, so you'll want some source to counteract that - Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Child and Cloranthy Ring all eliminate it completely (That is, lets you regain stamina as if you weren't wearing anything.)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Eej posted:

Real Dark Souls ends there. :eng99:

You know, the first half of Lost Izalith isn't the only part of the endgame.

It's projecting some on your overall opinion, maybe, but it's the only awful part of the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Kongming posted:

Is killing Rickert possible? I'm killing all the NPCs for their stuff before NG+ but I can't get arrows to go through the bars and I have no spells to speak of.

Probably not. Have you tried Firestorm?

There's likely no reason to do it anyway, though. You'd get 1000 souls like any other NPC and that's it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Lunixnerd posted:

Can you do the collect all the weapons achievement across characters or do you need to have all of the rare weapons on one guy?

Does this also count for the collect all the spells / miracles / pyros achievements?

You have to fulfill all of the requirements for an achievement all on one dude, but you don't have to get every achievement on one character. So you can have every rare weapon on one guy, and every spell/miracle/pyromancy on another.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jesus christ, does this guy ever shut the hell up?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

MZ posted:

What can I use to fully block crystal swordsmen strikes? My 100% physical block shield apparently isn't enough....

Your stamina and/or stability are probably very low if you can't block them. You might want to upgrade to a higher stability shield if possible.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

artism posted:

Right now I am having a tough time with Gywn. I have 0 souls and no proud night shards left... that being said would it be worth it to farm the souls needed to take a fire weapon to +10? My +5 light claymore does like 100 damage per hit (162 if 2handing) which makes the fight last forever and the fire from his sword slowly whittles away my health.

I cant parry him for poo poo either. I can parry pretty much everything else in the game but him :/

Gwyn is actually fairly weak to Fire and a Fire +10 is technically better than Lightning +5 by that level anyway, so it may be worth it, yes.

Also: parry his second attack in any of his combos, not his first. They have much more forgiving windows, and it's technically safer anyway (Only get caught up in two or three versus all four.) Just block the first attack, parry the second.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
A Dark Souls Modding Scene would be hilarious on the PC. Dark Wheels will become a reality, just you wait. Wheel Skeletons everywhere.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Brace posted:

What are these guys using in PvP that make me bleed/get poisoned/toxic from just getting hit by their weapons? Some consumables I don't know about or what?

Might be Rotten Pine Resin. Goes along the lines of the other resins, procs poison. Large Clubs do it too, and the Gravelord Sword does Toxic.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

MrSmokes posted:

My god the black knight greataxe +5 owns. It's basically a "you won the game" button once you get it. My strength is only as high as needed to one-hand it and I'm just wrecking everything. What strength-based weapons come close to this, if any?

Absolutely none. The Black Knight Greataxe is pretty much the single best weapon in the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Chachi posted:

Yeah, the name "Four Kings" is a pretty lovely little fake-out considering their gimmick (other than their "being creepy misshapen whateverthefucks" gimmick, that is) is they spawn at set intervals, so if you take too long there'll be five kings, then six, then seven, then...

So, yes, :darksouls:

Untrue! There will only ever be four at any one time. There may be more than four throughout the fight (in fact, each one has roughly a fifth of the life of the whole life bar, so this is quite likely,) but there will never be more than four in the arena at once.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Quinch posted:

Also, what do people usually go with the claymore? I was thinking just +15 but then I can't imagine people put an equal amount into strength and dex to up it's damage. Any ideas for a good build using it?

The Claymore is one of the few weapons that actually has scaling worth a drat, particularly in the Enchanted and Occult lines where it manages an A (Though Occult is probably still inferior to Divine anyway.) Its attack pattern is fast and versatile, and its damage high enough that both non-scaling lines work really well with it as well - on a regular NG, you can make a +5 Lightning Claymore right away and it takes down Smough in four hits. It's really good one or two-handed, too: that one-handed thrust does a shitload of damage.

The Claymore works for basically any build ever, is what I'm saying.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Lethemonster posted:

What determines how many souls you get killing a host in pvp? I killed a guy the other day and got 350,000 souls from him, and nearly half a million from someone today.

Swoooonnn. I love forest pvp.

You get half of their souls, so they must have encountered someone who did the same thing.

Either that or they did a shitload of PvP and amassed it normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

How long did we have to wait after Demon's Souls for Dark Souls to be announced?

:qq:

It was officially announced in early 2011, so we've got about a two-year wait ahead of us.

• Locked thread