Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had the strangest invasion a short while ago. I was next to the upper bonfire of Blighttown, and the guy comes running up to me at top speed like he'd really been waiting for this or something. We fight for a while and he gets two backstabs on me; they do almost no damage, which I think is a glitch, until I realize he's using a sword hilt. A little later he gets out a dagger that does a bit more damage, but I soon have him within a few hits of death.

He burns a humanity to heal himself and comes back at me. After a little more fighting he rolls away, puts on an onion helmet, and does the "Well? Is that it?" gesture. I'm utterly baffled at this point but beat him up while he's doing it, and then he rolls around a few more times before sliding off the cliff.

But right now I'm stuck on the chaos witch. I've tried about six times and just can't get more than maybe a third to a half of its health down. I've summoned someone but I hosed up that time too. I'm generally a dexterity-based melee character, but I use a bow and do a little pyromancy. So far I've been using the Dragon's Crest Shield and pyromancer equipment I found in the swamp because it's got the highest fire resistance I own, but I read on the wiki that the elite knight armor (which I also have) is good. Any recommendations that maybe won't send me back across the whole world to get? None of my attacks do much damage at all but I can slowly whittle the boss's health down sometimes, except every time at some point I get killed nearly all at once from getting stunlocked in the fire or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ball Stink posted:

You ever consider that's what he actually saw on his screen like the majority of other people on the receiving end of a backstab? I know I loving love it when I'm playing and some shithead horizontally slides like 12 feet to get behind me when the backstab animation starts and they where nowhere near me as I could tell on my screen.

I'm not human much and have only been invaded several times, but in every single one I've been bullshitted with backstabs several times. It really is extremely annoying and I have no idea how people do it like that. Sometimes I'll stay locked onto them and they'll just run right behind me anyway, even though my view is supposed to stay centered on them. Does lag always favor the invader or something? Because I don't know what I look like to them, but from my view I certainly couldn't orchestrate the 90-degree five-foot teleports these people are always doing to me.

I guess I'm just confused about backstabs in general. I've carefully positioned myself directly behind hollows and lizardmen before and gotten just a normal swing, but other times I'm clearly coming in from a more diagonal slant and I get a backstab on them. I wanted to try to get really good at backstabs and ripostes for normal enemies because it gets you extra souls and does a lot of damage, but I usually just end up beating everything down since it hardly ever works. My difficulty with ripostes is mostly just because I'm bad at hitting L2/R2 precisely, but backstabs are just weird.

VVVVV That explains a couple instances, but most of the others definitely didn't look normal.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 1, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Brace posted:

Why is the slime so hard to kill? My drake sword is doing 20 damage to it per hit, is there some sort of high resistance that it has or something? I checked the wiki page but nothing was mentioned. Also, one of the Butcher's dropped a Sack, is this just a little flavor item or what?

I'm pretty sure they have a massive physical resist. They don't seem to have much poise though, so just hit them repeatedly when nothing else is attacking you and they can't fight back. Their main gimmick is falling on you from the ceiling, but once they're on the ground they're pitifully slow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The most horrifying moment I had was falling in a hole and finding three of the curse frogs right in front of me, since I'd heard how bad curses are. But they actually don't have a lot of health, as my reasonably generic Longsword +4 would kill them in three hits. You just need some clothes with good curse resist to be safe, as they don't do any normal damage but only try to curse you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nimec posted:

That sun knight NPC is almost totally worthless in that fight, too. I decided to try again with a blue phantom and died in one hit when it ran me over. What I'm trying to say is gently caress that boss. I might as well take off all my armor and run around him. I may try that next time. And no shield I guess.

A fun experiment to see how fast I die.

I thought this guy would be really bad, but if you keep your distance and pay attention you can actually get a decent amount of safe damage in. I died once when I forgot about the abyss on the side, but other than that, I think it's a pretty formulaic fight. The safest time to attack is right after he does a charge--You just need to keep your eyes open for a follow-up attack which happens every now and then, and never stay in front of him for long. The first thing you definitely want to go for is the tail, not so much for the weapon (which I hear is good anyway) but to keep him from doing his annoying tail spin attack. With a dismembered tail he'll still try to swing his stump around, which wastes his move and gives you a lot of time to safely attack from the back. Saw him do that three times in a row while I just racked up a massive combo.

I went into sorcery just a little bit so that I could get soul arrows and enchant weapon, which were quite handy. When he isn't coming right for you but it's still not safe to get close, you can just lock on and fire away with ranged attacks. Otherwise you pretty much always want to be attacking from the back, and turn off your lock whenever you need to sprint (maybe don't turn it on at all).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm in Sen's right now and I guess I'll go to Anor Londo next since everyone says that's good, but all the videos I've seen of it looked really hard and it was bad enough to get a song written about it, so...anything significant I should do/get/be prepared for before I go there? Still at the beginning of Sen's, trying to clean out all those golems on the floor of the first main room. I'm mainly a dex character, currently using a Iaito +7 (might switch to my divine Shotel if its shield-ignoring abilities prove awesome enough).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Category Fun! posted:

An actual weapon, a spear that does lightning damage.

It's in a chest :laugh:

God drat you. Already got humiliated by that the first time. No messages on the floor about it or anything.

Does anything bad happen if you kill the giant who opens Sen's? He seemed kind of important and very out of the way what with the fake wall right next to a death zone and all. I kind of expected to get something a little better from him and now I'm worried I screwed something up later. I was sick of fighting those titanite golems (I thought there were only two and then I saw the others right around the corner, had no idea how to deal with them up close and left), and I just sort of ran into the guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I killed half the titanite demons at the bottom but fighting the 3rd always attracts the 4th and I get walloped. I'll probably just come back later.

This is where I am. By the time I had killed everything else down there I had no estus left, turned the corner and just said no. This is why it's good to have a lot of Homeward Bones.

Seriously though, I've had to kill every one of those guys by harassing him with arrows for a few minutes except for the one that actually came up and started hitting me through a wall, which nearly killed me because I had no idea what to do besides flail around.

I've really been stocking up on inventory souls because they're safe (I lose my souls a lot), but maybe I should just go use some of them and get some good pyromancy spells already. I've been able to take things down fairly conventionally so far, but I really get the impression that won't last for long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

So I'm kind of lost on where to go. I killed the boss of Undead Burg, and killed the big dark knight in the undead parish (and reinforced my Estus Flask). Where do I go next?

Up the stairs next the elevators where the knight was. One of the rooms up there has a ladder to the boss.

edit: dammit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's this Painted World business? Do you get kicked there if you die in Anor Londo?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Thanks, that helps. It seems to be random where they pop up. I was in catacombs for the first time, someone spawned out of the ground right as I engaged some skeletons but waited until I was done with them to kill me...

Another time I summoned someone at Sif's fog gate but they must have been AFK because they didn't move for a while. While I was waiting, someone else invaded, but I ran into the fog gate as they were running towards me which sent them back.

The couple times I tried to kill invaders, I got whooped so I just run away or let them kill me now. I wouldn't mind as much but the importance and rarity of humanity/being human in this game makes it irritating to have it taken away so easily.

Given the difficulty of the game and the fact that you need to become human to kindle/summon help for bosses, I think invasions are possibly the dumbest feature. But in my limited experience with them I think your best shot is to assume that you'll lose in a direct fight, so instead just go to a cliff or something and try to douche the other guy into falling off. Anywhere else is just telestab hell.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

I'd be getting frustrated, but it seems like everything in the game so far isn't bullshit, if I get hit, it's from me screwing up somewhere. Does it stay like that all the way through?

Because the system requires so much precision that it forces you to notice every single little nuance of it, you're going to find a lot of little things that bug you, but on the whole it really is entirely up to you and you don't have to exploit glitches or anything for it to be possible to win at low levels, unlike many games.

The main small irritating thing that comes to mind for me is that if you press attack twice before you fully swing and the first hit is blocked, whether you want to or not, you'll start trying to swing a second time and inevitably get hit. Still, this is mitigated by just timing your swings individually as you see them connect--Again, it's about conforming to the game, not the other way around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bluetooth human being posted:

Eh, guess I just need to rethink my strategy. I rolled a sorcerer, so have probably way too high int (19, or too low?) and I just leveled my faith to use Astoras straight sword(+1), which does no loving damage to the gargoyles.

I've run into (and ran away from or died) other bosses, like the hydra, or the demon in lower burgs. But they all seemed to tough for the time being, and it really seems like I should be focusing on the gargoyles. I'm currently farming up the souls for Great Heavy Soul arrow.

Equipment load out:

+1 Astoras Straight Sword
Black thief armor set. Mainly cause I wondered into blight town and promptly got poisoned all to hell.
Have a +2 short sword.
No rings. Short bow. I have the drake sword, but don't have the strength for it yet. have the Knight set to, but I don't like how slow it makes me. Dragon Scale Shield. None of my armor is upgraded currently. Guessing that's my biggest problem?

This boss was a huge wall for me, and since they doubleteam you I think it probably was for a lot of people. After losing ~6 times, I summoned Knight Solaire and had won within two minutes. Seriously, summoning can help out in so many ways that if you can just keep alive you're almost certain to win. Also, if you haven't kindled the forge bonfire, you should (possibly twice). It'll help you out for a while.

On later bosses you definitely can't just let your summons do it for you, but with the gargoyles it was really easy to just dodge until they were turned to Solaire and hit them in the back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I like that one time I went to the Darkroot Basin and saw in the distance what looked like a gigantic hyrda off in the distance, went "Nope, gently caress that" and went another direction, only to end up in the basement of a tower in the Burg and got my rear end kicked by the same knight that kept killing me hours ago.

I was pointing out the back way of that tower to someone and took a step through the doorway a while back, and just as I was mentioning that the absurd one-shot knight dude was right there, an overhead swing suddenly comes from the other side of the doorway and kills me in one hit.

I thought he hung out on the left side of the doorway and was trying to position the camera to get a look in that direction. Turns out it's actually the right side!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angryhead posted:

I hate you, that's what I'm stuck on at the moment. So far the only encounter in the game that has made me ragequit. Those loving dogs and the boss combined usually just stunlock me to death in about three seconds.

I'm going to be trying again tomorrow, but so far in my ~10 attempts it just makes me feel like it's a bullshit fight.

It's definitely the most bullshit fight I've seen so far, since more than most others the difficulty comes from fighting the design, which frankly is not very good on the Capra Demon. The tiny arena and the way the lock-on camera works means that probably about 50% of the places the camera is likely to be in will just give you a face full of plants or a very detailed view of your hat, and you can get stuck behind both the pillars on the right side and the tree at the top of the stairs.

I ultimately did it without any help, and it was still a pain, but I'd recommend rolling to the top of the stairs and trying to control that location as much as possible. The dogs will come at you one by one, making them easy to kill with a long weapon or firebombs, and when the Capra Demon gets too close you can just run off the side. He takes a while to come down since he usually whiffs a couple times up there, so you can finish any dogs waiting on the ground and then work around the stairs again.

With the dogs gone your job is a lot easier, as you can get a hit or two in and then roll away without worrying about some other rear end in a top hat hitting you from the side. The top of the stairs is also the safest place to heal or use long-range attacks--Just don't get stuck behind that tree when you jump off. Light encumbrance helps with this one since you need to use stamina constantly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fiction posted:

I have a few questions about character building.

Right now I'm playing a character I started off as Sorceror (this is my first), but I'm also using an axe as well as magic. I couldn't tell you what my stats are from memory.

My questions is: are sorceror builds which also dabble in physical weapons really viable? How important is in/maxing in this game, anyway? And can somebody link that PDF which was basically an extensive guide to the game? I feel like I'm building my character badly and I'm going to end up at a point where I'm just unable to continue.

I don't know a lot about character building, but two things seem pretty much universally true: 1) If you're leveling up and don't know what to get, Vitality and Endurance are always good up to a very high point. 2) Never level Resistance. I put a couple points into it and completely regret it--Raising any stat increases your defenses anyway, Resistance just does it a bit more and the only unique thing it does is add poison resist. There are other ways of getting poison resist, and each levelup costs more than the last, so just ignore that stat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm kinda surprised at how useful the silent ring is. I had gotten used to everybody turning to face me whenever I entered their general area but now I can just run up behind them and stab them in the back with my Iaito. :black101:

Time for Anor Londo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I support the PC much more than consoles in general, but I think Dark Souls really fits best on the consoles--It's an exception in many ways in that it actually benefits from depriving you of the ability to play it your way. The entire thing is defined in many ways by the difficulty, as that Sen's Fortress design commentary discussed. You have to conform to the game, not the other way around: You get one save, it constantly updates so no savescumming, online is entirely anonymous unless you jump through hoops to make it adjustable (which the PC would trivialize), you can't alter the game, you're simply given a challenge and it's up to you to complete it with what the game gives you.

Within that it still gives you a lot of freedom compared to many modern games, as there's no FOLLOW THIS GUY objective arrow constantly flashing on the screen, telling you exactly where to go and keeping you from going off the beaten path in any way. There's not much of a self-defined level of success or failure in Dark Souls, but the game does let you take it at your own pace and volition.

If it was a singleplayer-only game, of course people should have the ability to screw with it however they want. The ability to mod games like Elder Scrolls is a great thing and really improves them in general. But in the case of Dark Souls, simply because of the always-online way in which it's designed, this would bleed over into the multiplayer, hacking would be more rampant and easier to pull off, and even with attempts to disable mods/hacks/cheats when in online mode, people always find a way to bypass it on a large scale. Not saying this doesn't happen on consoles too, but PC games are more routinely dissembled and manipulated--In fact, it's an inevitability, and Dark Souls online is kind of based on everybody playing the game exactly as presented so they can help each other overcome the difficulty.

You could make the game nearly impossible to mod, sure, but there wouldn't be a great number of advantages over the console versions or a reason to go to all the effort to make a well-optimized PC version. I'd play a PC version and it would be great to experience Blighttown at 60 FPS (that place would be really fun if it just ran faster), but most of the other PC-specific benefits would end up compromising the quality of the game if you chose to use them. One of the only things I would like to have is a quicksave or something just to get back to boss doors and the like--I can run back to them and retrieve my souls every time without a problem, but it's tedious to go through a whole loading screen so the game can reset the 2 enemies that ran after me and then run all the way back. [/sperg]

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ball Stink posted:

Oh so this is like another Yahtzee or whatever. I guess.

He's a hell of a lot better than Yahtzee because he actually has no problem saying that he likes a game, and does more than self-contradictory reviews while actively looking for things to make fun of. He makes a lot of indie game reviews and gets small devs a lot of publicity, which has allowed quite a few of them to take off on PC. I guess some people think he sounds like Yahtzee because says a lot of games are bad, but typically when he says that, they are and it's more that he just doesn't bother hiding his opinions.

This is actually the first time I've seen him give so much attention to a console game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

casual poster posted:

I felt like such a idiot when I realized this :(

I feel like such an idiot right now.

If you get the Eagle Shield from Blighttown, you can block Havel's attacks without losing much stamina (starts with 70 stability). It won't make getting backstabs any easier, but you'll be able to block instead of dodge, and then get a hit or two in, even if you don't get a backstab.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I killed an invader (at least it looked like it) but nothing happened, and then I got the message that he left.

Can people really just black separation crystal out when they're about to lose?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Nope, that person was an rear end in a top hat and either quit the game from PS menu, or disconnected his router. People do this solely to deny their opponents a win. There is a plus side though. If they quit in the PS menu they risk corrupting their save files, and if they disconnected, they'll restart the game and die instantly from having zero life.

Ah, I remember people would do that all the time in another game. At least I made him burn a humanity on healing before he lost anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

^^^ The guy in the Garg tower sells the purging stone too I think

Oswald's price is much cheaper actually, so there's no reason to buy them from the hollow merchant. She does sell a limited amount of humanity, though. I haven't needed it but it's a good thing to remember.

Also, she sells blooming purple moss clumps which the cabbage Gumbys don't drop nearly as often as the other two. There's a part of Blighttown where the best way to proceed is basically just to accept that you'll get toxic, run in screaming and kill those sniper bastards, and then cure yourself once all three or four of them are dead since they don't respawn. Admittedly it's an optional part of the area, but you get some really good stuff for going through there.

Time to take down Nito. Any recommendation on which area to go to after him? I explored the Demon Ruins up to the yellow barrier before I could traverse it, but otherwise I haven't been to any of the other lord soul areas.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Is there a trick to using bows/crossbows? I found a sniper crossbow after not touching a single bow in the game, and I can't figure out how to aim it... All my guy will do is shoot in front of him, but I don't seem to have a way to fine aim or anything. I can hit stuff easily when I target it, but by then the enemy is usually already running at me.

Only bows let you aim.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frogmarched posted:

I'm already excited for the next 'souls.

Deep Souls
Dank Souls
Golem's Souls
Souls' Souls
Sunbro's Souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You seem to have pretty much just two options with poise--You either wear heavy armor that has it, or wear the Wolf Ring. It's suicide to run around without any beyond the early areas.

Chard posted:

Thank you, I will begin Mashing For Blueness. Warrior Buddha will be a reality, just you wait.

e: this is a trip, I could do this for... longer than is seemly.

The face deal in this game is pretty basic but that feature makes up for it completely. Mashing Similar Face is terrifyingly hilarious.

I don't like that you have to be human to look normal, though. I'm hollow almost all the time since I hate getting invaded but I'd rather look like a person than a zombie.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Hrm guess I'll try that a time or two. She's impossible to circle behind anyway until she does something, her turn speed is nuts

This boss was awful until I did that, ended up soloing it the first time I tried it. If you constantly push forward and to your left, sort of in that notch between the spider's body and front right leg, a lot of its attacks can't hit you, and then you're in a good place to dodge the next attack that immobilizes it and get some hits in.

Using a shield with some good flame resistance really helps, but when you attack make sure you switch to 2-handed. Then roll away or backpedal with your shield up when the AOE is coming--That's really the most dangerous move. You'll never have to deal with the jump-spit if you always stay close, you just need to maneuver to find a spot that isn't covered in fire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pathard posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet (I couldn't find it), but this guy is pretty great.. he does a lot of strange PvP builds. My favorite so far is this one: http://youtu.be/O32ufmdQ6gk

I know I would have acted much like the guy wearing a full set of Painted Guardian armor did..

I would have no problem losing to an invasion like this just to see it happen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just spent a precious Titanite Slab getting my Lightning Iaito to +5. Haven't tried it out yet, but I bet it's pretty awesome since the weapon was already really good as a normal, and adding lightning didn't seem to detract from the physical damage at all.

In the meantime I've been using a Chaos Blade +5. The description says it does more damage the more humanity you have stockpiled, but I haven't even tried that out, as it's really good by itself. The first time I fought Nito I pranced around and got surrounded by all the giant skeletons, the second time I just waited for him to come to me and obliterated him with that weapon. He's sort of not very hard if you have a divine weapon off-hand to get rid of the normal skellies.

I guess I'll try the Painted World next.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SnipeShow posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Blighttown polished. There is a bridge there that is honestly hit or miss on whether or not you can walk across it. I'm not talking about the moving bridges either, its just a log that sometimes slides you off when you walk straight.

This is the entire Great Hollow in summary. There's that long stretch at the beginning with no enemies whatsoever and a pretty easy path to get down if you just go down the "right" way--But they put items in awkward spots all over the place, forcing you to make jumps in places you're not sure are possible or not, and basically just die a whole bunch by trial-and-error. It's arguably pretty stupid design since there's no danger besides falling, and even that is just for items placed there to tempt you.

Of course it's not like enemies are the only thing that are allowed to be difficult in the game, but this isn't Mario. Jumping around and platforming is not what the game is built to do at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Hey, I was bored and threw together this thing in MS Paint that may be useful to new players. It's a simple map of the game structure with each area color-coded according to its relative difficulty (warmer = harder), along with locations of covenants, blacksmiths, embers, and slabs. I figure it'll be useful for people who just want to have an idea of the scope of the game and where significant upgrades and NPCs are while remaining spoiler-free.

This looks pretty helpful. I haven't finished the game yet so I don't know about much in the last third or so, but you did forget to note the Titanite Slab in the Undead Asylum.

Edit: Also there's apparently a possible shortcut from Quelaag's Domain to Lost Izalith.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would like it if the game had some quiet, possibly just atmospheric background music. The fact that the Ash Lake actually has music through the whole thing really made me notice it and appreciate the area more, and I think Firelink has a very haunting theme. The game is really bleak and has a perfect atmosphere for it, but I think some fitting music in more of the areas would add to it.

Honestly it just felt random and quite distracting when I got to the bell gargoyles and it was suddenly VERY LOUD SINGING, BLIEGH. For some reason I didn't notice that as much on a few of the other encounters, but some of the boss themes just contrast the rest of the game too much. A more consistent overall tone with an atmospheric soundtrack would complement the game quite well, and having more boss themes like Moonlight Butterfly's and Sif's would fit in better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Also went looking at boss intro cutscenes. Are Ornstein and Smough women? Never really seen clear video of them up 'til I searched for their intro. Smough almost has to be with that armor, right? And if Orn isn't, then he's the slimmest dude in the entire game.

Smough's hammer and Ornstein's armor descriptions refer to both of them as male.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want a way to make this happen predictably. I tried to make this boss jump back off the cliff because I was having a hard time winning but I ended up just having to slug it out.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

Also, every time I see the bosses names, I think they sound like a couple of lawyers. "Have you been injured in an auto accident? If so, call the law office of Ornstein and Smough right away"

This has massive fanart potential.

I used the Quelaag's Furysword for both of them and killed Ornstein second because I wanted his armor. Having Great Fireball was kind of handy, but ultimately I think it's really just a mix of agility and knowing when to block. On Uber Ornstein that's almost never, since his bullshit spear stab seems to go right through your shield. So I would typically just dodge him until he did a melee attack, rolling up behind him and getting some hits off on his back.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 11, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Timotheous Venture posted:

Love the game, love the thread. Wanted to show some appreciation for the vast amount of knowledge I've gained while lurking in here.

Merry belated Goonmas, Sunbros!

:darksouls:

I may make my second character be a Sunbro and help the world through jolly co-operation in appreciation for this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just finished the game. Quite an experience. I agree with most others that the difficulty isn't quite as bad at the end (at least I wasn't dying quite as much), but it's still one of the hardest things I've played on the whole.

At first, I kind of wished the ending was longer, but at this point I'm not sure. It certainly is in keeping with the tone of the game to end as it started--Mysterious, and without some fancy show or much explanation. But I was hoping for a glimpse at the outside world, after you spent the whole game in the ancient land/the undead asylum working specifically for the outside world, at least once you know what you're doing.

So now that I've finished once, I think I want to make a new character based around Sunbroing with Faith stuff and the witch's outfit. What are some major steps to take/things to keep in mind to do it right? My first character was just a standard Dex build with a little pyro in there, so I know very little about Faith.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awesome Animals posted:

Can someone explain the main differences between dex and str? Also, what are the classifications for heavy v light armor?

Dex and str are mostly just different requirements for different weapons. Some weapons scale better with one, but they're fairly similar in terms of how they work. The main difference in effect is that str weapons tend to be of the slower, heavier sort while dex weapons are quicker.

When your equipped stuff is below 25% your max load, you're at light encumbrance. Between 25% and 50% is medium encumbrance, and between 50% and 100% is heavy. Above 100% deprives you of pretty much all mobility so it's effectively the max. As you might expect, the armors with better defenses are usually heavier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

GestaltIntellect on PS3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

a kitten posted:

Aw, my onion. :(

For not really having a whole lot of dialogue this game sure is depressing sometimes.

I thought Solaire's dying comments if he goes insane in Lost Izalith were possibly the saddest thing in the game. It's even worse when you see his armor descriptions, which make you realize how amazing he was at everything. My upcoming Sunbro character will gladly grow eggs on his/her head for some insane bunch of mutated clowns in order to save the ultimate Sunbro.

edit: actually, do you even need that egg to rank up in the chaos covenant?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EC posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed (but I haven't seen it since I started following the thread 50 pages ago), but is Demon's Souls worth going back to? I know people love te game and everything, but does it hold up after being exposed to Dark Souls for so long? I'm nowhere near finished with the newer game, I'm just curious.

I've been wondering this too. I've intentionally not watched the Demon's Souls LP since I don't want to spoil the environments, but are there any major things before going in that are good to know? I know the game has a more grindy aspect with items and because of the weird world polarity thing you're best off suiciding after killing a boss, but I don't really know anything else. Although when I was poking around on the wiki I read that your sex actually affects stats or armor or something, is that balanced or is one sex clearly underpowered? It doesn't seem like you could really predict that without just trying and realizing the problem halfway through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

Remember how much you hated the Gargoyle Fight? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah that was probably the worst fight in the game for me. On all the other bosses I could just lose several times and then solo them before long, but with bell gargoyles I HAD to summon Solaire. Just could not do it alone. I think I looked up the boss you're talking about and it does seem pretty terrible, at least for melee characters.

Honestly, a lot of the problems people are mentioning about the first game (item burden, weird world/player polarity, grinding, etc) sound like the sort of fundamentally broken things that would make the whole game annoying. I did watch a bit of the LP and it at least looked really good in that, though.

Eh, Dark Souls has its poorly designed bits and still I managed to beat it, I'll give Demon's Souls a try. I guess it isn't designed in such a way that you can go in blind and get a character permanently stuck with terrible gear or something, so there's always the wiki when I hit a wall.

• Locked thread