Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
artism
Nov 22, 2011

Is there really any bosses that require a set level to do them? I don't own the game yet but I saw a video of a level 4 killing Gywn so I'm wondering if it's possible to rush like that for all the bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I don't see any reason why you can't no-hit any of the bosses if you're fleet of foot and God is with you.

That said, I laugh at the idea of trying to fight the Bell Gargoyles at a low level, let alone lategame bosses. Laugh, laugh, laugh.

I intend to play the game through and through I just thought it was kind of funny that this is advertised as the hardest game in the world, and I have no doubt about it, but you already have a guy doing something that ridiculous (I think he was naked, too. Just used a dagger to parry and some big sword in the other hand).

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I'm starting this game tomorrow and I plan on playing http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Black-Knight-Build to the dot. I have two questions first though. First, are the stats right? I've read a lot about pumping endurance/vitality so I assume that's right, but again I haven't played yet so I don't know. Second, can this build at least hang in PVP?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Rascyc posted:

It's a pretty typical strength build. Instead of getting 50 strength to play with the HUGE weapon class you get more vitality and endurance instead. You'll be able to wear most armors and wield a lot of weapon classes though.

Most every physical build can hang out in PvP.

That being said you can't reliably get black knight gear until the end of the game. Before then you have a few chances at random drops so you can only hope for the best. Not that this really matters in the grand scheme of things, just might want to keep it mind if you thought you wanted to play the entire game as a Black Knight.

Thanks dude. And nah I knew you got it before the last boss or so, I just like the play style from what I've seen on youtube. Probably gonna try and use sif's sword as my weapon instead of the greataxe anyways.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

My god I am bad at this game. Just died like 3-4 times on the very first 'boss' then later died 3 times to skeletons and now I have died probably 10+ to the other guys in the starting area... can't even remember their names until I got to the black knight. He also killed me.

Moral of the story is: play slower and always hold your shield up. In packs of 3 dont even bother with the drat target-lock becuase it will switch on you constantly!

There's my hour review. Can't wait to play some more tomorrow when I am not severely jet-lagged/sleep deprived.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ugh just lost 30,000 souls at around level 15 at it was sort of a balcony near the church pews near the gate where you first kill the mechanical bull. That priest guy shot some bolt at me just as I was running in to collect my corpse I know it's early game and I will earn the souls back, but it hurt. Was saving those for the next armorer I run across :/

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I've noticed everyone of my posts in here is whining about something, but I am going to whine some more anyways.

I feel like I don't understand the timing on Havel at all (or rather, when to roll). I am doing the whole naked two-hand backstab strategy since blocking so far has just resulted in instant death. I have gotten him down to around 10%ish twice but then I goof the timing by a fraction and I roll right into his new aim-zone. It's frustrating as hell! I watched a youtube of the fight and I seem to be doing the exact same thing as everyone else I just can't quite seem to finish it.

Gonna try another 10 times or so now. Luckily I found out you can pretty easily run past all those mobs.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Kongming posted:

As for Havel, if you are really getting frustrated just ignore him and kill him when your level/gear is a little better. If you didn't have the master key you wouldn't even be able to fight him until after killing the Moonlight Butterfly. By then you can probably destroy him.

the sad thing is I already have drake sword / elite knight armor. i'm still getting owned by the do or die dodge mechanic though. In the last two fights i had him to about 1 and 3 more back stabs respectively but I accidentally rolled too late both times.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

so I should re-equip elite knight and not try it naked?

edit: also, I am above 50%. I am really dumb but is there a way to drop gear? I have unfortunately picked up way too much crap it seems.

artism fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 16, 2011

artism
Nov 22, 2011

gravyflood posted:

This, this, this. Dark Souls seldom requires you to do a shitload of rolling. Smart positioning will get you by 90% of the time.

Okay, thanks guys. Trying that now.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I seriously loving love you guys. Went down in one try the shield way (just went naked and moved to the side with shield up)

Okay, time to go get drunk.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

How long do most of you guys play this game per day? I find that I will accomplish something minor, like a boss or something, and then have my fill for the day. So all in all between 30 minutes to an hour for me. And it's not because I am bored by the game or anything it's just the game is so open-ended and secretive (i.e. the casual idiot like me doesn't have a lot of clues about where to go or what to do) that I find breaking the game up like this makes it more enjoyable and less overwhelming.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

I decided to use the Moonlight Butterfly soul which gave me 12,000 souls but they instantly disappeared. Is that what happens for all these bosses?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Anyone who did the standard vit/endurance with enough strength/dex to eventually use black knight weapons, how long did you use the drake sword for? I am basically at the part right before Sif, level 34, and really tired of this stupid weapon.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Ball Stink posted:

Drop that poo poo as soon as you pick up the lightning spear in Sen's, then on to your end game weapon from there.

Thanks dude

artism
Nov 22, 2011

rivera82falcon posted:

I am a sorc/pyro spec so the lightning spear +5 was my end game weapon although I KNOW there are better weapons I could've made but it worked best for me at the time. NG+ I will definitely make alternate weapons and use something else instead of whoring my playing experience with nothing but a spear.

Okay here's a question for you now: is pyromancy necessary for your first playthrough? I have the stat requirements to pick it up if I wanted, I just haven't gotten around to freeing the guy yet.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

There are no stat requirements for pyromancy. Perhaps you're thinking of sorcery?

Pyromancy is far from necessary- pretty much nothing in the game is necessary. However, it is a relatively easy way to do high damage if you're having a hard time with some enemy or another. Certainly not a bad investment.

I thought there was a lowish attunement required for pyromancy? Anyways the only bosses so far I have had big problems with were Havel at first before I tried blocking him, and the optional demon thing when you return to the starting area because I for the life of me couldn't tell the difference between two of his attacks (so I never knew when it was safe to run in for a quick hit).

This is good news though, I will probably avoid it entirely.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Where is everyone getting the second firekeeper soul to reinforce their estus flasks? I still have a +1 after clearing queelag and all bosses in the forest until sif. Is it the wandering demon in the beginning of the game?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

No, the others come pretty late in the game. You might have missed the one in the dam-type area near the waterwheels in Blighttown, one's in New Londo, and another's in the Duke's Archives.

gently caress I missed the one near the waterwheel. Ugh.

edit: Waterwheel near swamp? I came down to the swamp in a sort of unconventional way.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Do you mean the elevator from New Londo? In that case, you're fairly close. After descending a few ladders on that giant wooden scaffold, you might see a concrete structure with loving tons of blowdart snipers. The soul's in there.

No sorry I meant the dam/waterwheel in Blighttown. I just joined Chaos Covenant or whatever so I am in that room at the moment.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Well there goes the retirement fund. Fell off that stupid ladder twice in a row and lost 35,000 souls :shobon:

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Do you have to do something to be flagged for PVP? I am level 45 and have yet to be invaded (thankfully, I might add. I really just want to beat NG and NG+ then shelf this for awhile).

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Is there any way to get the Dark Grain Ring without having to kill the ninja guy and then attone for your sins (to make the forest unhostile again?) I am not sure if I would ever swamp Havels/RoFAP for it but it would be nice if I ever decide to PVP.

edit: Or rather I cannot afford to pay 92,000 souls at the moment... will I find it later?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

No...but just do it after killing Sif, and then it doesn't matter if the forest guys are hostile because when are you ever going to go back? Or do it before, because if you can kill Sif, you can kill all the forest NPC's without the "fall off cliff" method anyway.

Actually it's funny Sif went down in one try but right before that the forest guys killed me 2-3 times before I realized I was pulling 3 at a time (Greatsword, Mage, and the thief)... so I had to use the cliff method anyways heh.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Is there any location other than New Londo Ruins that allows for titanite chunk farming or should I just leave my lightning spear at +2 and progress as is? Level 48 by the way (if that matters?)

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Okay last question before Anor Londo... the vendor in the upper tower of Sen's Fortress is apparently supposed to sell a key that's a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine. Is there anything you have to do to allow for the key to be purchased? For whatever reason it's not available to me right now

(I've already killed the Iron Golem and the two other giants if that's at all relevant).

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

That's the only way to get it, yes. But you do realize that after the patch, atonement is only 500xLevel, so unless you're level 180+, it shouldn't cost that much. And if you're 180+, you're past prime PvP level anyways.

Right now I am really not too interested in PVP so I've decided that I will leave it and pick it up later if it will help simplify any boss fights or I will just grab it in NG+ if I have any desire to PVP

artism
Nov 22, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

He doesn't sell it, it's actually in the same tower though. Follow the stairs in his room down and explore a little and you'll find the Cage Key.

:doh: I could have sworn I checked down there. Thanks man you probably saved me a few headaches.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Around what level do people go to kill the dragon on the bridge?

Also let me just say that the lightning spear is everything I hoped it would be and more. Also the Catarina armor in terms of looks owns. Pretty good resists, too

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

sunbroing

Why would anyone summon for Queelag? Do all players get an increased reward if the kill is co-op'd?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

I often go human before bosses just to throw people a bone and summon them. People like getting summoned, so I engage in jolly cooperation even when I don't need the help. Then I get irritated because half the time there isn't a single summon sign to be found, and then I get invaded and killed by lagstabs.

Thanks.

Okay, another stupid question for anyone to answer.

I just picked up Havel's armor and Dark Grain Ring. I would like to use Havel's, but after toying around with the Grain Ring versus normal roll animation I have decided that it's pretty an indispensable item.

That being said, how much endurance is required to use Havel's full set (total weight 50 pounds). Also, is it worth it to level past 100 before going into NG+ so that I can get the 50 strength requirement to use Havel's shield? Or should I just stick with the 30 strength req. on tower shield and call it good?

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I was told the summon range is within 10+10% of the summoner's level. So a guy at level 70 would only be able to summon people 17 levels above or below his own.

Generally I find that if you want to get as much jolly cooperation in as possible then it's best to spend souls on juicing up your equipment rather than your levels, otherwise you'll quickly alienate yourself from the crowd. I'm level 50 and happily hacking up the Iron Golem for 20k a pop.

How often do you get summoned? I would really like to farm Iron Golem since he is without a doubt the easiest boss in the game and I want to grind out some levels.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Got Ornstein and Smaug down on first attempt (thank god). I'd heard awful things about them. Really annoying fight though, I estimate phase 1 took about 15 minutes of me running the room in circles avoiding the fat guy and trying to seperate the two of them so I could maybe get a strike or two in before starting the process all over again. I found it was easy to dodge their attacks, much moreso than almost any boss I've encountered... only problem I had in Phase 1 was every now and again I would be watching fatty and skinny would somehow wind up behind me

artism
Nov 22, 2011

ivantod posted:

They are super weak to fire. A fully upgraded pyromancy glove+Great Combustion spell will kill either one (before the upgrade happens) in 6-7 casts.

Ya I used Lightning Spear +3. I have no use for pyromancies at all in this game and wish I hadn't spent the 4ish points I currently have in atunement. The only spell I've ever used is the Heal miracle (in fact, I didn't even know how to even use that until about midway through blight town).

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Category Fun! posted:

Knights are alright, but starting with heavy armour kind of teaches you to block instead of dodge, which is going to hurt once you come up against enemies who can't be blocked. Mobility is incredibly important, Wanderer or Cleric are IMO the best starting classes.

Parrying is hard. It takes different timing depending on what attack the enemy is using, what type of enemy it is and what type of shield you have.

I dunno I am about to fight Lord Nito (first play through) and while I do dodge a fair number of attacks there were times when I had to block, as well.

The only fights I can think where you can't really block (assuming you are leveling endurance, which I assume a knight would) is Sif's double-swing, Iron Golem, Moonlight Butterfly, Gwyndoliyn and the Wandering Demon. And it's not like their attacks are particularly hard to dodge (the exception being Sif, arguably).

One big tip about blocking that all new players should be aware of is in between blocks lower your shield to regenerate stamina faster. Once you do that your block will break less often.

I think heavy armor doesn't matter that much either from everything I've read. Just as long as you are below 50% equip load you will not be penalized for your rolls.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Brace posted:

Yeah, the Asylum Demon is kind of tough because he just crushes me outright

A good general rule for every boss and mob in this game is that if it's bigger than you are it's probably a good idea to get behind or at least to the side of it.

artism fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 26, 2011

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Brace posted:

Should I be using RB or RT as an attack primarily with my sword?

RB. RT takes longer to attack and you want to get mobile quicker.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

You would get yelled at in any thread in this forum if you went around asking idiotic things like how you equip items. Take a two drat minutes to try and figure something out before flying onto the forums and cluttering the thread asking about blindingly obvious things.

Help guys I'm trying to level but the numbers turned red and it won't work! Should I restart my xbox?

Some of his questions are semi-legitimate though. I probably used RT instead of RB (Xbox) for my attacks for the first bit of the game before I realized how stupid I was.

I think, though, if you are really lost there are a bunch of really good play throughs on youtube that will show you basically everything you need to know about everything, starting from the Burg to the end.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Well, it was a new game not a new game plus. That would be an interesting achievement but I think maybe 2 Japanese guys and Waspinator would get it though.

You really don't need to use spoiler tags on stuff like that btw.

He does if he wants to patent the idea.

I feel like a bunch of talented players would be able to finish the game with no deaths, but I dislike the idea of adding the achievement because it would drive many people to insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artism
Nov 22, 2011

oneliquidninja posted:

PVP weapon stuff

Is there any major benefit to chosing black knight greataxe > greatsword?

• Locked thread