Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just got this in the Steam sale for PC. I ordered an xbox360 controller that's on the way, but in the mean time I'm stuck with mouse and keyboard. Anyway to make it less painful? The default controls make the mouse near impossible to use.

Also, is DSfix worth installing? I see conflicting information about whether it's compatible with the newest PC version, but I have a 1920x1200 monitor and it'd be nice if I wasn't locked to the current fuzzy resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Playing my first time ever, just got to that first bonfire in undead burg and I'm already freaking out that I am doing my build wrong. I selected the thief(?) to start with (the one that gets the master key), and my plan was to focus on dex, vitality, and endurance, and get enough int to have a couple attunement slots for pyromancy. Any other stats I should focus on? What weapons should I seek out?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
No need to spoiler stuff, by the way, unless it's a general thread rule. I've seen a couple LPs, I'm just too poor to stay current with owning video games :).

I got to Taurus Demon, got him down to like 5% health left, then ran out of estus and died. Retried a couple times, then kindled the bonfire to get more estus. Some guy had his summon sign down by the bonfire, so I figured "eh, why not, I almost finished the boss off on my own so no big deal."

Guy proceeded to mow through the whole area one-hit killing everything. He even killed the black knight on the way to the boss, and the boss took like 10 seconds because of him. Kinda trivialized the fact that I just sank 45 minutes into running through the area over and over until I could get to the boss without dying to stupid mistakes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ravane posted:

Wow you're better than me. I've never been able to beat the Taurus demon by just attacking it head on. There's too little space to dodge properly. There's a hella cheap way of beating it by throwing firebombs on it after you climb the ladder on the tower behind you, which is what I've done twice now.

The secret is that you literally just stay mushed up against its legs and roll forward every time it attacks. It stomped me occasionally, but none of its swings hit me and it puts you in position to hit his tail, which seems to do more damage. I was literally holding the forward button the whole time to stay pressed into him.

That said, I'm already seeing a potential shortcoming of my dex build. Giant bosses don't seem to be parryable and the raw damage output from my weapon is underwhelming.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is it worth trying to kill the dragon on the bridge right after the Taurus demon? I've seen an lper just hide under the bridge and shoot its tail off for the sword, but I've not seen anyone kill it on the early game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, gently caress this run past the iron pig. You can't just dash to the bridge to drop into the stairs because all the undead warriors will follow you, but a couple of them are a major pain in the rear end to pull and wait until you're engaged with another enemy to get you from behind.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Actually what I'm getting frustrated by is sometimes it feels like the game is just ignoring my keypresses. Like say, with these first two guys under the bridge with the dragon, I can be pressing no buttons at all, press tab to parry, and nothing will happen. It's not an issue with going through attacks I've already queued up. I can be very careful not to hit anything else and it just straight up ignores the parry button sometimes. Are there any known issues with the PC version inputs, or am I crazy?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Awesome! posted:

use a controller

I ordered one, but it doesn't arrive for a couple more days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Awesome! posted:

you probably havent explored that area because of the pig but you can run past him and keep to the right and go up the stairs to get on the bridge and it wont follow you. you can magic it or something from safety after killing the hollows.

really though just plunge its butt.

Yeah that's what I do. It's just that there's a guy behind him that won't aggro until you're fighting the archers on the bridge and he always sneaks up on me. It's annoying :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Does the pig respawn? I can't remember from Geop's LP.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lol, I accidentally aggro'd Lautrec. Guess I'm not getting the ring of favor any time soon.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So, I accidentally hit rt when trying to talk to him in his cell. He's sitting in the top of the parish waiting to kill me now. I don't think he's going to show up at firelink for me to kick off anywhere now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Zombie Guy posted:

As long as you kill him, he should drop the RoFaP. If he doesn't, try quitting and reloading.

I know, but he's insanely powerful and this is literally my first playthrough. It just took me 20 tries to beat that thing guarding the firekeeper soul.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ravane posted:

Use Guerrilla tactics. Hit him, then run. I don't think he has any estus. Draw him out to see at what point he retreats (make sure everyone else is dead at this point so you don't get ambushed). Then attack him and run to that point.

Worth a try. I'm also going to try giving parrying another go. I think I was being too frantic with it before because I was just surprised by how strong he was.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've decided not to worry about Lautrec for now. I killed the gargoyles (and got the tail axe on my first try :)). Where next? I've seen some folks suggest doing darkroot basin before going for blight town in order to get the elite knight set and other items. Good advice?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, I got as far as grabbing the elite knight armor, but pissed off every single enemy in the area in the process. Glad I knew about the hidden bonfire ahead of time.

I'm going to try to kill that black knight and get the grass crest shield. I haven't been able to parry him yet, but it can't be any harder than parrying the balder knights, right?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yep, rocking a +5 bandit knife. Hadn't invested in armor yet, as I wasn't sold on the hollow solider stuff I was using.

edit: Got the wolf's ring and the partizan too. Seems like I need the crest of artorias to do anything else here.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Got down Lautrec's parry timing and killed him. I clearly need to take a break now, though, because I am dying to random stuff like undead warriors a lot. I killed the black knight in darkroot basin, went through that door, and got surprise ganked by Havel. I think I'm going to do more of the burg now so I can get some pyromancies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yay, killed by the camera in the Capra demon fight as my character got stuck and I couldn't see what was blocking me from rolling away.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lol, I hate Capra demon. I just chewed through 4 charcoal pine resins and he still killed me with like a quarter of his health left. Where's a good place to grind some souls for my armor?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've been doing the stair strategy, but the arena really causes the camera to work against you. Locking on is bad because you end up rolling into the protruding bits in the wall and getting stuck, but it's hard to keep the camera manually oriented while also dodging and trying to find opportunities to attack.

I have a +5 bandit's knife as my primary weapon. Should I spend some time upping my Dex (it's at 19 right now)? Or do I just need to get good?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Go kill the merchant near the first bonfire in Undead Burg for his sweet katana.

He's my only source of firebombs right now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have a heater shield, an elite knight shield, a black knight shield, and a balder shield. I really like parrying so I've been using the heater shield. Of the remaining ones, which one is worth upgrading as a secondary for unparryable enemies?

edit: I don't have the strength to wield the black knight shield presently, so I'd also need to grind a couple strength levels for it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I beat Capra Demon, yay! I went back to the undead asylum to fight the boss there. Capra became way easier when I realized holding my shield up was worthless and just two-handed for the whole fight.

I may or may not have taken out one of the dogs before passing through the fog door...

Edit:lol, not nearly enough damage ability for that boss. I lasted 5 minutes and only took off like a fifth of his health.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 5, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just got massively owned by those stupid curse lizards in the depths and now I am cursed. Where do I get the un-curse item? Or should I even bother until I get a shortcut that will let me bypass them?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am a massive resource hoarder in RPGs and have only used humanity twice :(.

I ran into them because I kept missing the holes in the floor and falling through. I guess I'll keep exploring until I find how to bypass them. At least I found the bonfire down there since I have the master key.

edit: I fell down there again and think I cleared the whole area out. Is there anything down there other than a couple humanities and some equipment? I got the shortcut to gaping dragon and then got one-shotted by him because of my half-health situation. Guess I'll be making a New Londo run.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I was in the depths overlooking gaping dragon's arena, and my wife came into the room and immediately yelled "JUMP OFF THE CLIFF!". She was overjoyed to learn that I could literally leave a note to that effect. This game brings joy even to non-gamers. The only game she likes is Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I honestly don't know if my wife could make it out of undead asylum. She likes Kirby because you can't die. She'd gladly borrow my save to run all over the place leaving "Try Jumping" notes, though. There should be Ghostwriter mode where you can just float around dropping notes, but not interact with anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

You could call it "the little death."

I definitely do not orgasm when I fall off a cliff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's better, poise+defense from the elite knight set but with the medium roll, or getting poise only from the wolf ring but having fast roll? I jut got my poo poo owned by that blind rat in the sewers (and lost 5k souls in the process), and partially my character just didn't want to roll when I hit b.

Also, I beat stray demon and spent those souls posthaste, then made quick work of the black knight by his arena with ripostes. Riposting those guys makes me feel like a boss. I still haven't killed the one just before the iron pig in undead burg, though. I can't counter his bigass sword so he's really hard.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Gaping Dragon down on my second try. I got his tail too, not that my character will ever wield it with that strength requirement :). Solaire very helpfully suicide tanked him while I got the tail. I switched to the Black Leather armor for Blight Town and got the spider shield.

edit: From the bonfire in the middle of Blight Town, how far is the good loot? Someone mentioned a katana. Is there anything else to bother with or should I just cruise straight to the bottom? I got to the bonfire easy enough, but I did fall through the floor at one spot and miss some items higher up. Seems like it'd be a pain in the rear end to try to get everything.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 7, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So, is there a way to get back up to the top from the central bonfire? Because I already sat at it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I tend to go into encounters with new enemy types with my shield up, but against giant bosses you may as well two-fist your weapon with my build because he's going to stagger you eventually if you try to play shield games and the faster you kill him, the less time there is for you to gently caress up.

I parry absolutely everything I can though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Snak posted:

Havel is noobbait gear.

Is this sort of thing the same as when people call you a noob for using plasma grenades in halo multiplayer?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It seems like a lot of discussions about what's good are based on PvP, but honestly I don't care about PvP at all. I just want to adventure and fight monsters. And be stylish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, I got the Iaito and the Shadow set, as well as a few more random soul items. I killed that wall-hugger thing from behind, but in the process my character's model somehow clipped into and got stuck in its model, so when it died I was flung into the abyss at high velocity.

Now if I could just figure out how to go down, that's be nice. I can't seem to find how to move forward in blight town at all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Took down quelag in one shot, but now I can't stop falling off the drat water wheel. I took like 10 reruns up it because I kept falling at a different area higher up and retrieving my souls, then I double-died and now I seem to have a blockage about jumping off the stupid elevator.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
OK, these snake guys in Sen's are really hard to parry. I don't quite have enough STR for the Iaito. Maybe I'll just farm the two at the entrance for a couple levels.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Beat Sen's Fortress last night (and also farmed a Balder Side Sword). The golem wasn't too bad, except that it threw me off the ledge my first attempt and my 14 humanity (which I had popped for farming) were irretrievable because it places your bloodstain beneath the boss arena.

Those big armored things in Anor Londo seem pretty easy compared to the snake men in the fortress. They bleed so you pretty much just dodge their attacks and then slash the poo poo out of them with the Iaito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
hahahahahaa, these archers. Wouldn't be so bad if the enemies leading up to them weren't so annoying too. And the long run from the bonfire just to get to those enemies.

• Locked thread