Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: here, watch this video from Demon's Souls to see what you have to go through to get the moonlight sword.

Oooft, never seen that before. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

With Amazon in the UK can I expect to get it next Friday? I certainly hope so, I've got the day off and everything,

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Gyoru posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls only sold 23,000 units during its first week in Japan in comparison. Dark Souls blew past 250,000 units in only 2-3 days.

So that's like a proper smash hit then? loving wicked!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Haha, you bastards. I never saw the bowing thing as an attempt to roleplay, it's just the easiest way of communicating "I'm ready" to the other guy.

Where's the satisfaction in killing someone with a cheapshot? Pffft!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, but the Flamelurker's my bitch and I don't need cheapshots to take him out either.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Everyone who is playing the game right now. gently caress you.

And in advance for Tuesday, all Americans, gently caress you too!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

They specifically said that they made it so Demon's Souls would require you to seek assistance and advice from other players and set up an official wiki and everything. They also implemented oblique systems like World Tendency, Character Tendency and the Upgrade System that were almost impossible to fully understand without collaborating and consulting with other players.

Since Dark Souls is basically DS2 in all but name, I don't think you're really robbing yourself of anything significant by using a wiki for parts of the game.

I personally wouldn't like to see the winning strategy for killing a boss before at least giving several attempts myself though.

Edit: There's also a living, breathing FAQ built into the fabric of the game world, telling you what is around every corner and warning of enemy placement and so on.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2011 around 08:45

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I posted this in the Demon's Souls thread and got no replies. Anyone here with Demon's Souls in the EU region willing to help?

quote:

If anyone can spare a pure bladestone for a SL120 in EU then I'd be grateful

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Saintv77 posted:

Any Scottish goons reading this, you can pick the limited edition up right loving now at G-force in Glasgow union street.

I have the biggest face right now. So glad I didn't have to wait until next week.

See you all on the other side.

You couldn't have posted this an hour earlier no?!?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, you don't actually need to read or watch the review, cause you already know everything she says in it.

Also, it has spoilers in as much as footage of the game is a spoiler, but nothing beyond that. You glimpse a few bosses, but nothing that's not already in the OP.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Another review here lads http://kathrynpackerroberts.blogspo...uls-review.html

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

qbert posted:

Everyone, stop being angry the game ONLY got a 9.0. That's still a great score.

You mean that one guy?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I'm gonna pop into town in 15 minutes and see if this shop that has allegedly broke the street date will sell me a copy. Fingers crossed!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

God bless independent game stores that break street dates.

So I'm confused on the tutorial already. Left Stick + R1 = Kick?

Edit: Ahh got the hang of it. You just need to press them at the same time. I'm addicted to this heavy jumping attack. Started as a Bandit and this Battle Axe is ace.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2011 around 10:26

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Haha, nice. I think I just ran into the equivalent of the 1-1 Red Eyed Knight. It took 3 Black Firebombs, several backstabs and all my Estus Flasks but I took the bastard out!

There's no way to see how many souls you need for the next level up? *sigh*

Leyburn fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2011 around 10:46

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

It's just a minor annoyance, since if you find yourself just below the number you need, you can always use a consumable soul, but there's no way to immediately check if that's the case.

Early game stuff I just found the blacksmith, which was good because my gear needed repairing and it was good to upgrade my axe too. There's a monster in the room next to him. I tried to take the fucker out, but he got me with a flukey wee shot when I had him right down to his last sliver of health. Not sure if I'm meant to fight him, or if he respawns. I've noticed that the boar and knights didn't seem to respawn at all.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Wow, the second boss the bell gargoyle, goes from being trivially easy to almost impossible to get near once the second one turns up.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I never seem to be short of humanity, even though I've kindled both bonfires so far. I found an item that said it would boost my Estus Flask, but when I used it, it seemed to give me an additional 5 humanity instead, now sure what happened there.

It also just froze for the third time in as many hours. It's like New Vegas all over again.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

These ghost enemies are loving bullshit.

Has anyone else found that switching the lock-on between different targets is really hit and miss now?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

They've really sucked all all the fun out of the game at the moment. I might need to take a break soon, but it's hard because they're not even difficult to fight so I feel I should press on, but it is easy to get knocked off if you're unlucky, or get ambushed because they're hiding everywhere. It doesn't help that they're the only enemy here, so there's no variety.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Early boss... Wow, those two dogs really make this Capra Demon fight a pain in the arse. Once you're rid of them he is so easy, as long as you don't get hit by his big attack. It's just trying to survive that initial onslaught. gently caress those dogs.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Seriously, why the gently caress can't I switch my target between enemies with the right stick like I could in Demon's Souls? It only seems to work 1 out of every 10 attempts and it's really making dealing with groups of enemies a lot more difficult than it needs to be since I can't quickly move my target to the guy who is closest.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, there is some bug or something going on that makes target switching way, way less reliable than in Demon's. I have gotten used to simply un-targeting and then re-targeting to grab the nearest enemy.

Yeah that's what I've been doing too, when you un-target then target again it always seems to pick the nearest guy, so it's working out okay. I'm just reassured that it's not just happening to me!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Woooo! I got my first 'Dark Spirit'. 5000 souls, humanity and an item drop!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

How do you lift a curse, for when it inevitably happens to me?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah you get that item on the way into the ghost section, and they occasionally drop it too, it's hardly a bonus being able to go through that area though, cause that part sucks hard.

Edit re the post above mine: Are you loving kidding me? I'm going to need to go through that lovely ghost lake to get the curse cured?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

The.GreyWolf posted:

Also, to Leyburn: You can visit the guy on the roof with the bell and he'll sell you an item for 4k to cure yourself.

Well that's good to know at least. I'm probably done for today. 10 hours is probably more than enough. So far I've killed the bridge taurus monster, the gargoyles, the goat skull guy with the two swords and dogs and a big motherfucking hydra. The Gaping Dragon has destroyed me a few times now, I'll get him though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Bloody hell, Blighttown is huge. When will it end?!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Some Blighttown and Firelink related help needed:

I killed the Gaping Dragon and went into Blighttown in search of the second bell. I made my way right to the bottom, finding a poison lake, and them made my way back up the other end, finally coming out at the Valley of The Drakes, and opening a shortcut to New Londo.

Have I missed a boss or something? Does Blighttown not have a boss? I take it the bell is somewhere in the poison lake I was avoiding? So I'll have to head back down I suppose...

Also when I made my way back up to the Firelink to level up and such, the bonfire doesn't work because apparently the Firekeeper is dead. Some new loot also appeared including an Orb whose description says I can invade the world of the person who killed the Firekeeper, and of course it doesn't let me use it. Any idea what the hell is going on?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Just beat what I think was a secret boss back in the asylum, the asylum demon's mummy by the looks of things. Worth a cool 20,000 souls and a great fight.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw man, I had been working on that boss for hours with no success. That fireball thing it does, I can block it if I know which direction it is coming from, but I can never tell. There isn't any way to do a falling attack on it is there?

Not that I know of, there's a tactic to the fight though, that once I got the hang of made it a lot easier. I put on some fire resistant armour so it couldn't one shot me with that fireball attack. There's a Dark Knight in a narrow hallway in the exit of the fight, so I've yet to make it out with my souls... fingers crossed

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

I've also got a key for a door in the asylum that I can't find. Any ideas?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Arrrrgh, I think I just aggroed some idiot I wasn't supposed to, after ringing the second bell there was a note on the floor pointing out a secret area, so I hit the wall and the secret area opened up revealing a bonfire and one of those guys with eggs standing in the way. So I attacked him and the fucker can talk. I was wondering why it wouldn't let me target him at first.

I tried to shut it down quickly before it could save, but no such luck. The prick is dead now. Was he important? Have I hosed something up?!

Edit: Some creepy mute spider lady on the wall reinforced my estus flask and has now turned my head into a blob! It's gone from bad to worse.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2011 around 19:35

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

After your egg grows up a little bit try doing a push/kick

This is terrible. I went to the guy who offers forgiveness to see if he can fix me, and when I choose ''Request Absolution', it asks me for 76,000 souls. Are you loving kidding me? That's an obscene number. Guess I'll be running about like a freak for the rest of the game.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

It looks horrific, and I don't think I can equip headgear anymore... http://tinypic.com/r/k9aurr/7

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah it's not longer an option. tbh I'm not sure I even know what I did to deserve it. I know this thread is going nuts about covenants, but about 17 hours into the game and they've been mentioned once or twice and never once explained.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone in Glasgow doesn't need to wait.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Pomale posted:

To be more specific for those who also already have their hands on the game: I started as a Bandit with the Master Key, and after leaving the Asylum I explored around a bit and talked to the few NPCs in the area. I went through the Undead Burg and defeated the Taurus Demon, however now my path is blocked by a dragon who kills me instantly and a door that my Master Key won't open, so I can't go any further there.

Yeah you can, half way across the bridge with the dragon you can go under it and progress to the next part

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, going without a shield sounds like madness to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

The game chugs along quite badly during some sections. In one area in particular it was slowing to a ~5fps crawl. This is on PS3.

• Locked thread
«9 »