Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Got this game for Christmas, I thought I'd hate it after hearing how hard and frustrating it is but along with that criticism was a lot of priase. Turns out it's not really that hard (once you understand the mechanics) and it's easily the best game I've played in a while.

I have just rang both bells, defeated the wolf and spider witch bosses. I am on Sen's Fortress but I don't want to go there yet. I haven't done the Catacombs (and just found it by accident, didn't even know it was so close to Firelink) so I am going there next.

But I have 2 questions:

Is there a way to help prevent being killed by invaders? If someone invades my world, how do they know where I am? Is it possible to hide? It's annoying when I spend humanity to restore my humanity so I can summon PCs/NPCs, etc. just to get killed by an invader before I have the chance.

Also, if you take the stairs/elevator below Firelink Shrine, it takes me down to a little area with water and ghosts. They have hosed me up since I started in Firelink. I know I need an item to see/interact with the ghosts, but my question is, what is down there in that area and what level should I be when I attempt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Kill them first :unsmigghh:

There's no way for an invader to know where you are short of hunting you down and spotting you directly. Theoretically, you can hide forever. However, fog walls will prevent you from leaving the area and bonfires cannot be used while you're being invaded.

If you want to play hide-and-seek, you should get the Chameleon spell from a certain NPC you rescue from a golden crystal golem.

Don't even worry about that place until you're done with Anor Londo at least.

Thanks.

Also, question about gear/level:

As a Pyromancer I am running around with a knight shield (+2), a short sword (+6 or +7 w/124ish damage) and the Crimson armor set most of the time. I am level 45ish and my pyromancy glove is +6 or +7 now.

My question is, does this sound about right? I am not sure how often to upgrade my armor/weapon but I seem to be doing ok so far. Nothing but the bosses has given me much trouble.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Thanks, that helps. It seems to be random where they pop up. I was in catacombs for the first time, someone spawned out of the ground right as I engaged some skeletons but waited until I was done with them to kill me...

Another time I summoned someone at Sif's fog gate but they must have been AFK because they didn't move for a while. While I was waiting, someone else invaded, but I ran into the fog gate as they were running towards me which sent them back.

The couple times I tried to kill invaders, I got whooped so I just run away or let them kill me now. I wouldn't mind as much but the importance and rarity of humanity/being human in this game makes it irritating to have it taken away so easily.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 3, 2012

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Probably a dumb question but how important is parrying in the last half of the game? I am maybe halfway through and I haven't bothered to parry poo poo because I haven't needed to and it's the most difficult move for me to pull off. Should I practice on some low level skeletons or can I finish the game without using it at all?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
For the newbies, the game will seem ridiculous probably until you're through undead parish. Someone else mentioned that it's the perfect training ground and I totally agree. After that it will seem much easier (as long as you learn from your mistakes)

Also, part of the reason I love this game is that, at least on my first time through, almost every experience I have is thrilling. Slowly exploring new creepy areas not knowing what to expect, finding new enemies that make perfect nightmare fuel, etc. My heart really gets racing when I'm deep in some area and get jumped by 3 bad guys when I'm used to only fighting 1 or 2 at a time. After I win that fight I let out a big exhale and realize how fuckin' awesome that fight with "trash mobs" just was.

Also, I recommend playing in the dark with the volume cranked as loud as you can stand it. I've heard some crazy/scary poo poo I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
question about upgrading my weapon to fire/lightning/etc. If I upgrade my weapon (shortsword) to fire, am I going to run into some boss or other enemy that is immune or has high fire resistance which renders my weapon useless? I don't really have a good backup if so, so I wanted to clarify that before I do it.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Is there a trick to using bows/crossbows? I found a sniper crossbow after not touching a single bow in the game, and I can't figure out how to aim it... All my guy will do is shoot in front of him, but I don't seem to have a way to fine aim or anything. I can hit stuff easily when I target it, but by then the enemy is usually already running at me.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Question: Sometimes I'll be running around and suddenly hear a noise and see an animation that looks/sounds like I'm receiving souls, but I don't receive any souls and the animation is gold instead of white. What's this all about?

Unrelated, my experience in Blighttown: it just requires you to watch your step and be careful even more than normal. Going slow is the difference between pulling 1 enemy and 3. It really helps to have anti-poison/toxin armor/gear, shield, etc. but most importantly you have to take your time or you will get jumped or you will slip and fall.

Enemy tips:

Fat club dudes: They can be pulled one at a time, but you have to block and keep circling while attacking after they do for best results. Always be aware of your surroundings to avoid getting knocked back or aggroing more enemies.

Zombies: I recommend kicking the zombies off of edges as much as possible. Usually they will fall to their death or at the very least fall down and have to climb one or more ladders.

Zombie dogs: Usually kill themselves because they get so excited and run at you only to fall to their death. When they don't, it's just a matter of staying out of their fire and blocking their bites.

Bugs: After I knew my way around, I just ran past the bugs most of the time. The mosquitos go so drat slow they won't catch up (but they do see you from far away). The larger bugs can't fly, so they don't chase you far and easily get stuck in the wooden structures. You should only have to fight them if you're going somewhere where they can actually catch up to you.

Boulder throwers: Other than aggroing 2 to get a treasure, I stayed away from these jerks.

Blow dart guys: The room with the dogs and the blow dart guys was lovely, but somehow I managed to pull them slowly and clear it out. Blocking and taking advantage of line of sight will help.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

Protip: even though they're pretty big, you can still backstab them.

You know, maybe it's just me, but I can rarely get back stab to work. I usually just end up doing my regular RB move when I am able to sneak up on something. Is there a trick to getting it to work consistently?

DrBouvenstein posted:

That means that someone else just kindled the last bonfire you rested at. If you look at your Estus flask, you'll see you now have one more use out of it...

Well huh, that explains why I often have 11/12/13 flasks, couldn't figure that out either. Nice.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

If I feed Frampt large titanite shard will he make those into titanite chunks? or how do I get titanite chunks?

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Kingseeker+Frampt this has a chart showing what breaks down to what

Also, see here http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Titanite+Chunk for where to get Titanite Chunks

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Blank Construct posted:

Is there any way to beat Ceaseless discharge without it turning into a slugging match? I've beaten him three times and I still don't understand how he works.

I spent a good 30-45 minutes trying the fog door thing, but he kept doing his fire breath over and over. As someone else said, that apparently doesn't work anymore.

I had to run from the fog door, up the stairs, around the corner (there's even a little shortcut on the right) and to the larger area back where the treasure is. There, I was able to get him to slam his tentacle down, attack it a few times then run to the opposite direction until he slammed his tentacle down again then I attack a few more times. Rinse, repeat and you shouldn't even get hit once, he didn't do any other attacks on me while I was in that area. Just make sure you stay in that wide open area.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Question about weapon/armor stats: How am I supposed to know the specifics of the stats and what they mean?

Stuff like magic/physical/flame defense is obvious. I am referring to the Param Bonus and Aux Effects sections mostly... For example, I got a Flamberge with 300/300 bleed but I have no frame of reference to know if that's good/ok/bad or how to raise that number.

And how do the Param Bonus letters work and how do I improve those? If something has a D Param bonus for Strength, can I improve that by increasing my strength? Or does it not work that way?

I am almost to the end of the game and I am still learning all these stupid little things I should have figured out a long time ago. After I beat it, I'm going to immediately start a new character because there are so many things I would have done differently.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I couldn't wait to start a new character so I started a Warrior and it's pretty ridiculous. I had the first bell rung in about an hour and a half. Sunbro'ed the Taurus Demon and Bell Gargoyles. It's AMAZING how much easier the game is on the 2nd time through. I also managed to not kill the first merchant on accident this time and bought a bow, man I regret not using one (at all) the first time through.

I also used the bow to get the Drake Sword, holy poo poo it's powerful. Though I don't think I'll be able to upgrade it for a while.

Got cocky and tried Havel a little too early I think. I was doing back stabs for like 30 dmg with my long sword but might try again with my Drake Sword.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
When I fought O&S the first time, it was over so fast I didn't know what happened. I was trying to summon someone, but summoning for me only works maybe 1 out of 4 times. I ended up accidentally summoning 2 people to help and we took the bosses down in like 30 seconds.

Also, every time I see the bosses names, I think they sound like a couple of lawyers. "Have you been injured in an auto accident? If so, call the law office of Ornstein and Smough right away"

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 11, 2012

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Today I discovered how satisfying it feels to take my Lighting +3 Zweihander in both of my hands and use the strong attack to 1-shot POUND those black knights in Anor Londo. As my ridiculous weapon smashes them to the ground, they appear to explode in a shower of soul residue and screams of death.

Also, tip for new players: Find and use a bow (as a secondary weapon). Maybe it's obvious but my first play through I didn't use a bow, at all. I am used to RPGs where only hunters use bows and I was a caster. But bows are life savers and will help you a LOT. You can kill/pull enemies from long range and it makes places like Sen's a lot easier.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I had the opposite problem with the Graveyard near Firelink, I had no idea it was even there until after I went to Anor Londo (and I explore on purpose in games like this). I was reading the wiki site trying to figure out how to get to this mysterious Catacombs place and was very surprised to find out it was right next to Firelink the entire time.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Fought Bed of Chaos last night on my 2nd character. I really don't like that you're pretty much supposed to die in that fight. I forced myself spend the humanity and 100,000 souls I had before I went in because I knew I'd lose them if I didn't.

Sure enough I spent about 45 minutes equipping the orange charred ring to run through the 50 feet of lava across from the bonfire, unequip it and equip my wolf ring, run past all the bad guys allll the way to the boss, immediately fall in a hole and die, rinse, repeat. The extra poise helped, but there were a few times where I died because he dropped his hand (or something) straight on my head and 1-shot me, or he'd do some ridiculous fire spell and 1 or 2-shot me with that.

Out of all of the other bosses in the game, I think that one is the worst. It wouldn't be SO bad if I didn't have to run so far and equip/unequip special equipment every single time (or maybe I was just doing something wrong).

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Can I make a Quelaag's Furysword with a Painting Guardian Sword (the only curved sword I can find)? I upgraded the Painting guardian sword to +5 and it disappeared from the list of upgradable weapons. If not, anyone have any suggestions?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Started NG+ last night and it's much easier and more fun than I anticipated. 1 plunging attack from my +5 lighting zwei took away 3/4 of the Taurus Demon's health.

I am also getting invaded a lot more it seems. One amusing invasion went like this: I was going sitting at the bonfire in the Depths facing the long hallway with the torch zombie while I fiddled in the bonfire menu. Suddenly, I stand up and realize I'm being invaded. I am in an enclosed room with a long hallway separating me and the invader, so I decided to have some fun.

I pulled out my Dragonslayer Bow and held back an arrow as I waited for him. He had an eagle shield and must have thought I'd run out of dragonslayer arrows because he kept taunting me to shoot by showing himself then taking cover quickly. I shot 15 or so before he must have realized I wasn't going to run out (stocked up over 100 before I beat NG, I was prepared to wait for him). He finally grew a pair and slowly made his way down the hall as I shot at him and when he finally made it to me I pounded him into the ground with 2 hits of my Zwei before he knew what happened. Fun times!

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

EC posted:

For you NG+ people: what do you do with all this stuff?!

I have been either skipping it (some of it is out of the way and not worth trying to get again) or I'll save it up and feed it to frampt when he appears. You don't get much for it but the souls add up.

To the other guy regarding spears, I never used one until I got the demon's spear in Anor Londo on my last play through. It doesn't do a lot of damage but it comes with a lighting effect and man is it amusing to repeatedly poke enemies with the RB attack until they die. It's like walking around with a stun gun on the end of a long stick.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Lord of Laughton posted:

Slowly making progress in my game, but I'm always starved for Humanity. I can't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere that if you don't mind possibly being invaded you should always play as a human. But given the amount of times you die in this game, it seems a bit wasteful to always be a human since you respawn hollowed. Any advice?

I actually find that by the time I got to NG+ and knew most every nook and cranny, I was dying a LOT less. I have been playing as human most of the time since and found it is helpful overall. Especially since I've found a great farming/pvp spot.

I've been spending a lot of time doing the following:
1. Go to the bonfire near O&S in Anor Londo.
2. Kindle as high as you can, and become human
3. Put down a summon sign between the fire and the door
3. Make your way from the bonfire to the room with the dragon heads up the stairs then right up more stairs to the room with the 2 giant knights & kill all of them.
4. Homeward bone or run back to the fire
5. Go to 1.

In NG+ this gets you like 20k souls in 5-10 minutes for killing 5 bad guys. Those giant knights are easy to kill if you plunge attack from the stairs where the archer is. It's extra good because it's near the giant blacksmith who sells some good poo poo.

While doing this I have 50/50 luck killing invaders. Since I put my sign down I also get summoned here and there which is nice and helps break up the farming. So with everything combined I get tons of souls and humanity that you likely won't lose. It's also nice because you won't go hollow from dying unless an NPC kills you.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

casual poster posted:

You can throw an item that will distract the Capra Demon while you take out the dogs, I forget what its called, I think Alluring Item or something. I['ve never done it myself but I read to use it on these here forums. Also, grab the wolf ring from darkroot garden, that'll help alot.

I tried the alluring skull on him 1 time. I tried to throw it the second I walked in and just as my throw animation finished, Capra's machete was already on it's way to splitting my wig, killing me instantly.

Maybe there's a better way to use the skull but i think usually you just have to manage to get to his left or right and dodge/block before he hits you that first time, then you're free to get up those stairs and go from there.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Finished NG+ yesterday, now I have to force myself to take a break before NG++. I highly recommend NG+ to anyone on the fence about it after finishing NG, the fun FAR outweighs any difficulty increase.

Question:

Are there any big downsides to dumping souls into levels? I mean other than possibly gimping myself for less jolly cooperation.

I started out slow, but now that I am starting NG++ I am somewhere just over SL132. I started dumping points into End/Str but then put some into Dex and Vit. Then near the end of NG+ I decided I wanted to try out all those Miracles I've been hoarding with 11 Faith. So, I spent a ton of souls getting my Faith up to level 32 where it is now (might as well try for 50 to use the Sunlight Spear).

If there's no downside, then I'm going to keep at it and get my Int up as well, I hope to be a God of all trades by the end of NG++. I just can't find much else to do with all my souls.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

For those of you that have already gone through the game a few times, how heavily would you recommend relying on resources like the wiki for guidance? Am I loving myself over by not looking up npc/item locations or upgrade paths?

It's really personal preference. I started out enjoying the unknown, but then I started using the Wiki mostly for boss fights because I didn't have time/patience to learn them.

After I beat the game the first time, I started a new character and began using this thread and the wiki religiously. Between them and everything I learned myself on my first play through, the 2nd play through was a LOT more fun. Then I went to NG+, NG++ and now I've once again started a new character.

So, it's really up to how you feel like playing it. I recommend not spoiling things unless you get too frustrated but it really does help a ton because there are so many mysteries in the game that aren't really explained. But again, you can solve those mysteries later if you enjoy being in the "dark".

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

It will certainly help. The Great Magic Barrier miracle also puts a huge damper on their damage output.

Is there a trick/bug related to using the Great Magic Barrier in the abyss? I was trying to use it and the stamina regen leaf (green blossom?) in NG+ and both were always greyed out after entering the fog door, even after dropping down into the abyss and after repeated deaths.

I did eventually beat them but it would have been nice to have extra magic def as their magic damage in NG+ is pretty significant.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I don't mind Blighttown, I don't even mind the infamous Anor Londo Archers... but I loving loathe the Bed of Chaos fight, it's easily the worst part of the game for me. I don't understand what the developers were thinking when they created it.

Starting my 6th play through and I have never beaten that boss in less than 15 or so tries. Phase 1 is easy, just run in and start hackin'. Phase 2 is harder because I will get swept into the broken floor at least a few times before making it to the other side of him (poise helps but isn't a panacea). Phase 3 is where my heart is racing, because I'm so goddamn frustrated about getting killed/swept into the floor so many times and I know that it'll all be over if I can just make 1 lucky jump into the middle before I die...

It wouldn't be quite as bad if I had a little more time to react, but I always feel like I have to hurry to avoid his fire pillar move or his hand/glowy scythe thing. And the run from the nearest bonfire wouldn't be so bad, except I have to repeatedly equip/unequip the drat charred ring just to run across 50 feet of lava.

Unrelated question, what's the point of being able to warp to bonfires in places like the Abyss and the Altar of the Gravelord? Unless I'm missing something, there isn't anything there after the boss is dead and you can't get out without warping somewhere else, right?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

goferchan posted:

Weird, is that true about CD? I found him incredibly easy my first time through, playing as a melee character I was able to tank his hits really easily and I think I remember his health dropping super-fast. Only bosses I had to repeat over and over again to beat were like..... the 4 Kings, and O&S probably. The first couple bosses took a while too, but I think I can chalk that up to just not understanding the game, yet.

Ceaseless Discharge is my 2nd least favorite boss next to Bed of Chaos.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but CD is really, really annoying. If I don't beat him on the first try, I'm in for a rough time. When I run back through the fog door, he just stands near the stair area and does his stupid fire shooting move that knocks me down and/or kills me. Sometimes I can manage to get up, run behind that little hill and fight him in the more open area.

The only way I've found to beat him is to get lucky while strafing back and forth in front of him in that open area while waiting for him to drop one of his arms over and over until he's dead. Often though he'll do his fire or sweep move out of nowhere and kill me in 1-2 hits. Maybe I'm missing it but it seems harder to read his tells than other bosses.

I've also tried the "run back to the fog door" trick but it has never worked for me, he just follows me until he can shoot fire at me while I'm backed up against the door.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Ledneh posted:

I'm still having trouble deciding between lightning Claymore and Zweihander. I like the Claymore moveset more but the Zweihander is so wonderfully thunky. :(

I used the Lightning Zwei for 2 entire playthroughs. On my most recent playthrough, I opted to try both, I made a Lightning Claymore and a Fire Zweihander, both fully upgraded. I like this the best because while the Claymore doesn't quite put out the DPS that the Zwei does, it has a quicker moveset, I can usually get 3 hits off with my stamina bar as opposed to 2 hits with the Zwei and sometimes this is better.

However, 2 hits with the Zwei is about all you need to kill any non-boss enemies. This allows me to switch it up as necessary. The Fire Zwei mostly comes in handy for bosses but I also enjoy using it to pound black knights into the ground for fun and profit.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Arg, I don't remember 4 kings on NG+ being this hard. I have tried many times, solo and with help, using different weapons/armor, tried pyromancy +5, and I just keep dying. The farthest I got was dying while wailing on the 3rd king while the 4th and 5th patiently waited for their turn behind me...

I have mostly tried the lightning claymore +5, Fire Zwei +10 and Furysword +5. I have lots of other weapons of various levels but none as powerful as those 3. I have a mixture of armor to stay under encumbered yet keeping up my poise.

I have watched the videos and read the strategies, but the kings just spawn too fast for me to take them down. The few times I've had help, the other person acts like they never fought the kings before and sends me messages like "Kings on NG+? YOU PSYCHO?!"

I try to stay close per all of the strategies, but I end up wasting time either blocking his magic, getting "grabbed" or running away/dodging those attacks. They spin around way too fast/often for me to stay close/behind.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. As of right now I've given up, mostly because I ran out of transient curses and so did the old lady merchant by firelink...

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Thanks for the offers, I am on the 360 around SL120 (I am at work and don't remember exactly right now)

I have 50 faith for the sunlight spears but I haven't even bothered trying them because 1. I only have 5 of them and 2. I read that he was weaker to fire so that's why I was trying pyromancy. But I am going to see what kind of damage my spears do next time I play.

EC I might throw you a message when I get back on.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Oh my god some dude named djbigbill just helped me kill 4 kings and it was a joke, we were practicing our gesturing between spawns...

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

EC posted:

Sorcerer?

I am not sure, it happened so fast that I could have swore we only killed 3 kings instead of 4 when the defeat video started playing... He was doing some sort of quick melee damage while I whipped sunlight spears.

The guy was awesome though, before we entered New Londo Ruins I told him I ran out of curses (including the merchant) and he dropped 10, then gave me some more good items.

I praised the poo poo out of the sun let me tell you. I love it when I meet awesome and helpful sunbros on my Dark Souls adventures. It really makes you appreciate that feeling of finding another human in an otherwise dead and desolate world to help you through tough times.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I can't believe I've gone 3 characters and over 300 hours and just now tried out the Greatshield of Artiorias... It's ridiculous how much of a difference the extra stability makes.

I also had the best Bed of Chaos experience yet: I did the trick where you hit one side, quit, reload, hit the other side, quit, reload then go down the middle... it was going swell until I somehow died RIGHT as I swung and defeated the heart or whatever in the middle.

I respawn at the bonfire and figure, no problem, I'll just run back to pick up my humanity and 250,000 souls and then homeward bone... So I run back and get to the part where you drop down onto the middle root, slip, fall, die, and all I can do is smile and take it because hey, it's :darksouls:

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I don't want any spoilers if possible, but can anyone tell me if all the DLC is accessed by one area, or is it spread out?

I started a new character and am just wondering when I'm going to notice something different. If it's not until near the end game I might just check it out on one of my other characters first.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

Volte posted:

You may never actually find the entrance to the DLC without spoilers, since it's not exactly obvious what you have to do. I noticed that the Japanese patch notes for 1.06 actually have a section explaining how to access the new DLC area (see http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/), so I wouldn't feel too bad about looking up how to get there.

Thanks, that was... interesting to read post-translation. Good to know about some of the other changes they made too.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Ok I'm going to sound like a newb but any tips on getting close to the basin hydra whilst slaying they crystal golem army coming from the havel room direction? Isn't there a ladder somewhere I can use to reach the hydra?

Edit: nvm, got lucky and actually beat them all!

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 25, 2012

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Here's a question, and really my only major complaint about this game: Was it designed purposely to force players to seek answers in some sort of online community or wiki?

I realize that a lot of the mysteries throughout the game can be figured out by paying attention to the lore/NPC dialoge, reading every item description and connecting the dots, but how is a player supposed to figure stuff out like "oh you have to quit and reload"?

This DLC is a prime example. How in the world would I ever figure out on my own the steps I need to take, in the order I need to take them, to access the DLC?

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Here's a weird thing I haven't seen: I am Sunbro'ing and helping people with the final boss of the DLC when this dude summons me as normal. We start running down towards where you run into the first big group of humanity dudes when all of a sudden we're attacked by the one weird looking monster from a completely different area.

It's the guy who is tough as poo poo and swings a ball/chain and runs at you with the big pointy thing on his head in the room full of stone statues... Anyway, he's attacking us here and he's glowing red and he seems to be a suped up version because he's 1 shotting us and our attacks seem to be doing less than normal damage.

I gave up after a couple of tries, but the guy who summoned me said he had no idea where it came from. Anyone seen anything like that?

Also, the DLC is fuckin' awesome, money well spent.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
Man, its so fun to sunbro'ing to help people with manus. I got my great scythe +15, my armor of the sun, and just tear through everything. I got out of control with leveling (sl135) but im still getting lots of summons. Also its amazing how many hosts die falling off the ledge right outside the fog door, their screams echo through the abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001

EC posted:

I've actually been enjoying taking people through the Township and directly to Manus, something I usually avoided in the main game. Since its new content, most people don't knoe all the secrets yet. It's fun seeing them hit the joy emote when you show them one of the illusory walls.

Where do you put your sign? I wasnt getting any bites until i put mine at the last bonfire. I really liked the township area and would go through it more if i could get summons reliably.

• Locked thread